Opus VII - Reckless Leather 2013

Opus VII - Reckless Leather by Amouage
7.9 / 10 171 Ratings
Opus VII - Reckless Leather is a popular perfume by Amouage for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Sabco Group / Oman Perfumery. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top Notes GalbanumGalbanum Pink pepperPink pepper CardamomCardamom NutmegNutmeg FenugreekFenugreek
Heart Notes Heart Notes OudOud PatchouliPatchouli AmbroxAmbrox LeatherLeather AmbergrisAmbergris
Base Notes Base Notes Costus rootCostus root MusconeMuscone SandalwoodSandalwood FrankincenseFrankincense CypriolCypriol

Perfumers

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 07.01.2023.

2 in-depth fragrance descriptions

Helpful Review 2
Animaux nocturnes
Upon application you get thrown in the midst of a surreal nightmare. Deep dark green.

A personal review:
Some years ago I came across Opus VII in a shop, the bottle was the darkest shade of green, and the first spray too, to my surprise, had not kept anything back and smelled nightmarishly dark and green, it was loud and sharp and so new to me, I looked at the SA in shock and just said wow what is this! I'm not into greens, let alone one so overtly over the top and deeply insane. But for the next days I started craving it more and more wanting to face that shock, I ended up going back opening the cap of the tester, thinking yes this is it, buying and falling in love with it. The love itself felt like a mistake/hate at first full wearings, like a struggle, I knew it's mine but it felt too insane at times, years later now I know every single detail about Opus VII, I enjoy the smooth musc under its rough face, I find the pissy leather as beautiful as a panther marking its territory and not at all repulsive, I enjoy the ridiculously dark green opening, the galbanum, frankincense and the oakmoss. And all the struggle makes VII more special to me than a love at first sniff. And to be honest I still am ready for a fight whenever it calls me to wear it!

What does it make me feel? Lost in a dark forest. What do I imagine when wearing this? There's an strong wild being lurking in the depth of this forest, like I said it took me some wearings to befriend her. Who do I imagine wearing it? Honestly noone famous irl comes to mind, it belongs to someone who's seen things that most couldn't handle, he's cold, elegant. A modern lone cowboy with a bike and a dark past. In short, Taylor Kitsch in True Detective S2.

To whom do I recommend it? If you like green perfumes, the oldschool ones, if you can handle One Man Show or vintage Quorum this will blow your mind. And it will keep doing so for many wearings, with its depth and complexity. If you like animalics, leathers, dark gothic perfumes try it you may like it, if you want something new challenging dark and really niche you're in for a treat test it you'll have fun even if you decide it's not for you. if you keep looking for "panty droppers" or consider Aventus or Office as the Holy Grail, don't bother with this. If you want something not offensive, no it's not here, this will turn heads, every single one, and some of them will be in disgust.

VII lasts a day and then some, projects like sirens for 5 hours and then strongly for another 5 before being reduced to smooth muscy green leather for it's long lasting final act which feels like a whole strong perfume on itself! (I have the first batch, but I doubt it was ever changed)

Don't blindbuy, and when testing hang on tight through the darkest green of perfumery, may you tame the beast.

Think Berkeley Breathed, Not Mozart
Admittedly, Amogue has set the standard in gothic perfumery with Memoir Man, so I entered this experience expecting great things. Even allowing for that bias and unhinging that, Opus VII is a disappointment. It is, in two words, a confused journey.

The scent opens deep, oily, almost medicinal with a streak of woods and vanilla. I have no idea which way this path is going to lead, but it soon takes me into a field of blooming stuffy flowers. I am reminded of Boucheron here, although with acrid undertones. Perhaps not all is well in this field? I shouldn't sleep here.

The silage begins at a foot and recedes as I travel onward, leaving the flowers behind, and encountering my old foe stryax. Yes, this is the chemist's basement smell, which isn't terrible, except in that it is terribly common, and a real disappointment from Amogue. Even the longevity suffers, clocking in at no more than six hours. Given how expensive this line is, you'd be better off with something that lasts (like ahem, Memoir Man). Thus, you should think of Opus VII in terms of Berkeley Breathed's comic strips, not Mozart.

4 short views on the fragrance
NicheOnlyNicheOnly 6 months ago
Green aromatic opening, noticeable harsh leather base from the 1st moment, becomes more earthy-balsamic as it dries. Mature man's scent.
MRothMRoth 2 years ago
One spray and I'm transported to a bustling Indian spice market, wearing in a new leather jacket, nagarmotha attar dabbed on pulse points.
BielwenassBielwenass 2 years ago
An interesting oud scent with a "dusty" quality to it. Not too heavy and quite pleasant.
50scents50scents 3 years ago
Peppery, spicy green scent. A hint of leather shines through. Has the DNA of a Frederic Malle fragrance. Performs and projects well but noth

Pie Chart Radar Chart

Images

7 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Reflection 45 by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude 53 by Amouage Lyric Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Dia Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Homage by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Interlude Black Iris by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Opus XIV - Royal Tobacco by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Sunshine Man by Amouage