Overture Man 2019

Overture Man by Amouage
Overture Man is a popular perfume by Amouage for men and was released in 2019. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Sabco Group / Oman Perfumery.

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruitGrapefruit CardamomCardamom CuminCumin GingerGinger NutmegNutmeg SaffronSaffron CognacCognac
Heart Notes Heart NotesCinnamonCinnamon MasticMastic BenzoinBenzoin LabdanumLabdanum PatchouliPatchouli GeraniumGeranium MyrrhMyrrh
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwoodSandalwood LeatherLeather Clary sageClary sage Animalic notesAnimalic notes FrankincenseFrankincense

Submitted by Amourage, last update on 28.09.2022.

5 in-depth fragrance descriptions

Simply nr.1
For over 1 year, I have discovered the fragrance world and been active on Parfumo almost daily. I have Reflection Man, Amouage and Creed discovered ... things that used to be foreign things for me.

Since knowing Amouage, I have in my collection seven fragrances from them and one is Overture, made in Oman. It is a "boozy" so called fragrance with super cognac, grapefruit and many other notes - a creation of Karine Vinchon-Spehner who also made Boundless, which is already ordered.

For me, after 1 year of experience with fragrances from all sorts of brands it is the #1 ... equal or better than my ever favorite, the Black Phantom.

Starts out extremely special, with a mix between bitter and fruity and dark and then goes into the cognac wood barrel direction, anyone who doesn't like that ... won't like Overture either.

This fragrance has everything that is important for me in a fragrance: darker side, performance, unique factor, completeness and quality content. I know that because of the price, it's not as easy to test as the other Amouages so probably that's why it doesn't get as much love as the others.

It's quite nice when after a long journey in fragrance world, to find such a creation and understand that it was what I have been waiting for long. My Made in Oman version smells much darker than the Made in UK and I am extremely excited to continue enjoying my fragrance

Amateur Hour Overture...
Overture Man goes on with a dirty cumin, nutmeg and cardamom warm spice trio supported by a warm boozy accord before slowly transitioning to its heart. As the composition enters its early heart, the booze infused warm spice remains in full-force, now joined by peppery cinnamon and a moderately synthetic smelling woody incense accord rising from the base that gradually supplants the spice as star, before joining rugged smoky leather as time passes. During the late dry-down the rugged smoky leather vacates, unveiling the previously concealed relatively dry sandalwood that now takes the fore, joined by trace remnants of the warm spice and incense through the finish. Projection is above average and longevity average at around 8-9 hours on skin.

Looking at the published note list and the perfumer responsible for the composition (Karine Vinchon-Spehner, who composed the amazing and highly underrated Coeur de Vetiver Sacre among others) I had high expectations for Overture Man. Alas, I knew early-on when applied on skin this perfume would disappoint. Things get off to a poor start with the cumin led dirty warm spice trio that I find off-putting, and they don't improve when the synthetic woody incense is added in, nor the near cringe-worthy rugged leather shows up an hour later. The pleasant sandalwood led late dry-down is too little, too late to save the composition in the opinion of this writer. I suppose I should say that the perfume really doesn't smell "bad" at any time, it just disappoints to a large enough degree that its minor faults seem all the more consequential. The bottom line is the $340 per 100ml bottle Overture Man has the pedigree and ingredients for success, but squanders its promise, leaving a very "average" 2.5 stars out of 5 rated outcome and an avoid recommendation to all but lovers of dirty warm spice.

SmellGoodGuy
ALL good things must come to an end...
For a long time I ignored buying any Amouage because of the ubiquitous hype that they get on social media. And that goes for all the hyped luxury houses. But when this was announced and I read the note pyramid, I was VERY intrigued.

Since I started collecting I found I have an appreciation for big, bold, scents. The first time I smelled Baraonda by Nasomatto, I bought it. The first time I ever smelled T.Rex by Zoologist, I bought it. The first time I ever smelled The Night by Frederick Malle, well, I didn't buy it. Lol. BUT would have, if the price wasn't so exclusionarily high... I know, I know, I made my own adverb. But you get the point.

So imagine, the ONLY Amouage I ever yearned for was not available to purchase in the US.

Eventually, I did research on other Amouage fragrances and found 2 that spoke to me: Gold Man and Enclave. Both of which I really like.

Overture, I gave up on.

Just when I started to wind down from making purchases (...have WAY too many...) guess what I seen at a steal of a price? Overture Man!!!

Instantly I bought it!

The only other fragrances I ever got so mind blown to find was: Dior Home Parfum and from Ermenegildo Zegna's Elements of Man series: Strength. Both were/are unicorns and both I really enjoy.

Typically, I would not have purchased a fragrance like this with colder weather so far off. But I thought of the odds of finding it for such a steal again and just went for it.

So far, I've only had a spray on my right hand, so it wouldn't be fair if I started yapping on about it. However, my initial impression is akin to when I first smelled LDDM by Andy Tauer and Fumerie turque by both Christopher Sheldrake and Serge Lutens. Both BLEW MY MIND!

All and all I am supremely happy finally being able to own this. The only other fragrance that I REALLY want and MAY purchase full retail, is: Cartier's Oud & Oud. After that, I'm done. This hobby will have you buying more than you can ever use and personally I think my money could be better spent.

But, hey, that's me.

Until next time y'all..

UPDATE
I rarely make separate entries on the same perfume, but this is so unusually beautiful that I just have to.

Altho I still have yet to give this a full, proper, wearing due to it still being Summer (but am tempted! Lol!), I find myself constantly either sniffing the atomizer or half spritzing it on the back of my hand. I say that to say: there has been no other fragrance that I've smelled that evoke the deep emotion this one does.

This fragrance makes me wish that I can hibernate until colder weather is present. Totally forgo Summer, with all its beauty, just to be able to apply this until my heart is content.

This is the fragrance that I unknowingly searched for as I went thru over 1,000 fragrances; The one that kept me buying due to, subconsciously, not being completely satisfied with what I already had.

This fragrance makes me unequivocally feel I, now, have the absolute best in ALL scent profiles, safe of a truly authentic, stanky, oud.

Shy of The Night (which is an indulgence that falls TOTALLY outside my budget), Cartier's Oud & Oud I believe will fill that void. It's authentic and stanky, and extremely elegant and luxurious smelling, yet wearable. Something TN isn't, imo.

I'm sorry for emoting so hard about this fragrance and going off on a tangent, but, in the end, that's what fragrance forums are for. When you need to express your passion for fragrance and no one else gets it, you guys do.

Until next time!

occident vs orient
one of best heavy opulent scents .it is not for everyone and beginners .you ought to own a trained experienced nose to perceive the quality and beauty of this perfume.
manly deep sensual which notes of labdanum civet leather promise that
beside cumin which gives a more oriental to it and cognac make it more occindental.
francincense provides a darkness and mystical aspect to it.
its really a high quallity highly praised work of art that I repeat its not for beginners

Crowning of the house
this is a high quality multi facet which rugged strong notes are in struggle with kinda sweet smooth notes.
spices from the top very soon mingle with boozy feel which completely reminecent of oriental spice bazars after an hour resins with balsamic vibes make it more misterious and deep , but
wait the apex of the show is just arrived dark smoky leather with animalic notes steer it to a more deep dark opulent phase .
spices like cumin is completely noticeable and cognac on top and sweet bslsamic resines of labdanum benzoin myrrh of heart struggle with boistrous leather ,animalic notes and incense of base which bold rugged notes prevail the smooth sweet spicy feel but should add these two phase complete each other to create one of the best mans craftsmanship.
at the and a sandalwood exstinguish the whole fire although all the notes above is still distinguishable.
More reviews

3 short views on the fragrance
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 11 months ago
Initially pungent and animalic herbal-spicy, a gently boozy, oriental spicy-resinous Fall fragrance, on a dry, smoky leathery-woody base.
RisingChaosRisingChaos 1 year ago
Boozy, floral, woody. Dries down to a burning cigar, very strong smoky and woody accords. A work of art, but not the most pleasant.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 2 years ago
It starts like I am opening the drawer where I keep all the spices in the kitchen. Then myrrh and Cognac start to stand out. Great quality.

Images

8 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Reflection 45 by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude 53 by Amouage Lyric Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Dia Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Homage by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude Black Iris by Amouage Dia Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Sunshine Man by Amouage