Reflection 45 2021

Reflection 45 by Amouage
Top 34 in Men's Perfume
Reflection 45 is a new perfume by Amouage for men and was released in 2021. The scent is floral-powdery. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Sabco Group / Oman Perfumery.

Lucas Sieuzac

Top Notes Top NotesBenzoinBenzoin Pink pepperPink pepper Clary sageClary sage LavenderLavender CardamomCardamom Juniper berryJuniper berry
Heart Notes Heart NotesNeroliNeroli IrisIris JasmineJasmine AngelicaAngelica Tonka beanTonka bean VanillaVanilla
Base Notes Base NotesVetiverVetiver PatchouliPatchouli SandalwoodSandalwood CedarwoodCedarwood MyrrhMyrrh FrankincenseFrankincense OpoponaxOpoponax

Submitted by KrzysiekPL, last update on 27.05.2022.

5.5

Drseid
Does Spending $500 Buy One A Solid Perfume Release?...
Reflection 45 Man opens with a camphorous lavender and pine-like juniper tandem with very faint underlying bitter-orange neroli support before gradually transitioning to its heart. As the composition enters it early heart the camphorous lavender remains, now joined by musky aromatic angelica and astringent myrrh as co-stars, with dry sandalwood rising from the base in support. During the late dry-down the perfume eschews most of its earlier aromatics, leaving remnants of the dry sandalwood to meld with mild cedar as the new focal duo, with sanitized patchouli support through the finish. Projection is excellent to outstanding, and longevity outstanding at around 20 hours on skin.

Amouage has been all over the map in recent years, with most of its recently prolific output frankly disappointing. Gone are the days where brilliant offerings like Dia Man and Jubilation XXV (not to mention sublime attars) were the types of perfumes one could look forward to when new releases were gradually announced. That said, one of the early days' weakest offerings was Reflection Man. Of all the compositions for Amouage to slightly re-imagine with an extrait concentration it would have probably been near the bottom of my list of wants (or lack thereof as the case may be). Alas, Amouage decided on churning out Reflection 45 Man. While the choice of perfume is unfortunate, I hoped going in to be pleasantly surprised... Now having worn Reflection 45 a few times, I can honestly say that the re-imagining of the previously fresh and pleasant smelling, but wholly forgettable original perfume does add in some wrinkles to the boring formula to distinguish the new release from its predecessor like the focal camphorous lavender and astringent myrrh, but the fresh overall character of the former release still is at "45's" core. Now, the composition is a bit less pleasant smelling, but equally "just good enough" to make the grade and again unimpressive (though admittedly the late woody dry-down smells quite nice). The bottom line is the $500 per 100ml extrait bottle Reflection 45 Man adds a few new wrinkles to the original's benign formula while ratcheting up performance metrics, but alas, like the prior release that kind of smelled good but never merited buying or wearing ever again, "45" gives a similar indifferent feeling until the all too late finish, earning an above average 2.5 to 3 stars out of 5 rating and a neutral recommendation to all except fans of the former release that have an extra $500 to burn.
The Elder
Coincidentally, I learned about this release in the ticker!

So Interlude 53 is followed by three more familiar scents whose concentrations have once again been raised significantly: "Epic 56 Woman", "Honour 43 Woman" and "Reflection 45 Man".

Those are by the way the official titles of the fragrances. Surprised me that the otherwise prevailing research standards so not taken up and waved through, but so be it - another topic.

Reflection 45: In my review of Interlude 53, I talked about it being a new concentration, and Amouage is in line with that with its new definition: "Exceptional Extrait". If we keep in mind that the fragrances from the house declared as "EDP" consistently have about 20% - 25% high fragrance oil content, then either way we are talking about "perfume / extract". This is where Amouage can really be commended for declaring lower than they could but offering higher. In the designer segment, this is yes gladly often lived the other way around.

The "45" in the name stands again for the percentage of fragrance oils in this perfume and probably the maximum amount that could be achieved in the production and still within certain "Anti Allergens Standards".

For classification Amouage represents the beautiful on its own homepage:

Eau de Cologne (EDC) 3% - 10% oils
Eau de Toilette (EDT) 5% - 15% oils
Eau de Parfum (EDP) 15% - 20% oils
Parfum / Extrait 20% - 30% oils
Amouage Reflection 45 Man - 45% oils

The maturation processes of the first batch are 10 weeks of maturation + 6 weeks of maceration, meaning that in total the process was extended to 4 months.

For explanation:

Maturation = maturation of the fragrance concentrate before adding alcohol.

Maceration = maturation of the finished blend, i.e. after adding alcohol.

Unlike Interlude 53, the DNA has been greatly altered by the addition of some new ingredients on paper. But do not be fooled by this, because anyone who knows the original Reflection, will recognize it immediately after spraying.
In comparison, however, interpreted decidedly darker and without a joyful smile.
Especially at the beginning I get lavender and at the same time it is strongly powdery in the perception what I really like!
It's spicier than the original, but still retains its balsamic-soft warmth and I can't detect any particularly sweet, resinous or smoky touches that make it stand out aggressively. It carries its original bloom with it and remains very soothing as it continues to develop, quietly fading away little by little.
The gentle embrace of fresh, buttery flowers is no longer as loving as it once was. Nevertheless, I find it to be a decidedly harmonious and rounded fragrance.

The increased concentration, combined with the altered DNA, creates a mature alternative that is definitely worth testing, but an honest look in the mirror reveals one thing above all:

He's gotten older. That doesn't make him worse per se, because after 14 years it's natural to evolve. Also with us.

Finally, one last note:

The fragrance becomes incredibly quiet after a relatively short time. I have rarely experienced this and it is too pronounced for my taste. Yes, we are talking about a in the core Extrait and that usually brings this concentration. That's perfectly fine and especially true for those who may be wondering about it after testing. Not every fragrance needs or wants to be a screamer and I'm sure that wasn't a primary goal in making this fragrance, hence the friendly thought provoking not to discredit perfumes and in particular him here right away because of it.
I wish you a fragrant pleasure in testing!

Different from the OG, Not Better
Not merely stronger than Reflection Man. This is richer, woodier, more aromatic. It's a solid scent that maintains the fundamental scent profile, but like BR540 Extrait compared to BR540 EDP this kinda misses the mark for me. I love Reflection Man for how bright, fresh, and airy it is but 45 rather "fills in the holes" of the white florals with a bunch of sweet aromatics and woods that take away from the uniqueness of the Reflection DNA by making it more dense, more sweet, more generic.

Strong initial projection settles down over 2-3hr, longevity 12hr+. The projection isn't much better than Reflection Man, but it sticks around as a skin scent significantly longer. Worth $500? Not to me. This isn't simply Reflection Man given a performance boost. This is different, and it's different in a way I prefer the original, plus the performance isn't that much better.
Expectations VS Reality
So now it goes Reflection 45 to the collar :)

I was always a fan of Reflection Man and wanted to buy me a bottle again, because I read that this extrait version should appear. My eyes shone not bad.

Full of anticipation I started a sharing and many dear Parfumus/Parfumas made with. 450€ changed hands and I was still happy.

What were my expectations now? An Ombre Nomade or Nouveau Monde, but just as Reflection Man a strong radiant fragrance, power without end, wonderfully composed and simply sets a statement! And not only strikes me and delighted!

The package from Oman arrived quickly and without any problems. I pulled out my sharp pocket knife and carefully opened the package! The packaging is the standard Amouage packaging, but the bottle is a poem, for me quite easy the most beautiful bottle I have.

Magnet cap off and the first spray, hmm interesting, tart, spicier than the original. It smells wonderful. The cardamom is dominant there for me.

Overall much less floral, not as sweet and clean. He seems much more masculine and adult!

The opening is really great done!

The fragrance becomes a little sweeter and more powdery (vanilla, iris)
Woods come in also the incense is wonderful to recognize. Vetiver puts the composition its I dot on, very intense and very very nice!

A great fragrance! The drydown is my clear favorite. Wonderful!

I could smell it for hours! Can I fortunately also, because the durability is very good, from the fragrance alone he is clearly in my top 10!

But now let's open our eyes and come together to reality!
The sillage is a nightmare! We are talking 450€ for 100ml and I personally have never had such a weak amouage on my skin! It smells wonderful but this is so disappointing to me. Extrait or not. Then I would have preferred an edp!

How does Louis Vuitton create such strong fragrances like Ombre Nomade or Nouveau Monde?
Which smell wonderful, with a great progression and wonderful notes that can make a lasting statement. A fragrance that remains in memories! And fills rooms. I expect that in this price segment.

Amouage creates a fragrance here that is no doubt as beautiful as the above but unfortunately became as fleeting as the moment that just passed.... (unless you press your nose on the skin flat, then you have longer what of it)

An olfactory snack, so you could describe it. Excellent served no question, but that's not enough for me.

It is a fragrance for you, others will not be able to perceive it, at least not by far as I would wish.

Thanks for reading.

LG Deniz.

The search continues.

Worthy upgrade?
First of all, I will say it from the beginning - this is a concentration variant for Eau de Parfum Reflection Man so do not expect a new Scent DNA to be found into this flanker.

Many Parfumos, myself included have wished for a better performing RM EDP because the nice floral notes and the very fresh and clean impression the clary sage, neroli and Jasmin are giving is really addictive. Then Reflection 45 comes along and my first impression was .. yeah, this will be a performance beast like Interlude 53 which you then need to scrape of your skin if you want it removed.

The Amouage "pre-order" marketing policy works well, the website was filled with sharings, I think over 10 within hours .. so the hype is there.

Now to the Extrait, which I tested today:

- It starts with strong Lavender, almost fougere like and in the first tens of minutes it seems to have a different DNA than RM EDP.
- It dries down nicely and the Lavender gets toned down and the nice Neroli with Jasmin from EDP come to life.
- It has low silage and projection, with a spray from the Glass Sprayer it is not noticeable at all unless you rub your nose to the skin. EDP has a better projection IMO.
- After about four hours it is still quite strong on the skin, maybe sprayed from the bottle and on clothes would really have a better silage.

If you expect an improved Reflection Man, I am not sure R45 will deliver that. If you want to have the beautiful smell of RM for longer present on your shirt or clothes, maybe the R45 can do that for you .. but also spraying more EDP will give you the same effect.

Maybe this is a marketing stunt to refresh the image of Reflection Man overall and that is bold from Amouage to do. I saw these days that many famous Perfumers were invited to Oman for leisure, hopefully this will bring new creations too.

Given the identical scent DNA = with the Reflection Man EDP prices between 160-200€/$/GBP for 100ml I see it difficult for the Extrait to have any success, not at 450€.

BertolucciKBertolucciK 7 months ago
R45 opens with cardamom and lavander. A powdery iris and neroli but less floral and sweet than Reflection Man. Spicy and woody. Poor sillage

by Dandrobe
by Razvanyke
by Stere
by Stere

Popular by Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude 53 by Amouage Homage by Amouage Dia Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Memoir Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Epic Woman (Extrait de Parfum) by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Beloved Man by Amouage Interlude Black Iris by Amouage