Coven by Andrea Maack
Coven is a popular perfume by Andrea Maack for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is earthy-green. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Céline Ripert

Galbanum, Clove, Cedarwood, Oakmoss, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 23.08.2020.

Sisters of Destiny
A few days ago we unexpectedly came across Macbeth with Michael Fassbender in the leading role while zapping aimlessly on TV. How this congenial film adaptation of the Shakespeare drama could completely pass me by for five years is a mystery to me - since my childhood I have been a great lover of Scotland and the Middle Ages in general and a fan of witches in particular.

It hasn't happened for a long time that a film has literally taken me like this, taken me on a journey in fantastic pictures through a landscape that is harsh and mystical and yet you can't escape it. Took me into an age full of wars and bloody battles, which today is often seen from an overly romantic perspective. And taken into a story full of magic, ambition and betrayal that ends bitterly for most of the people involved as well as Macbeth and his lady herself.
What has always fascinated me most about history are the three witches and their prophecies. Even if today it is disputed whether they are witches at all or whether they are just manifesting evil forces - how they dance around their cauldron and brew the soup from which the spirits rise to answer Macbeth's ominous questions I see them before me figuratively: Three sisters, strange, old and unreal, not of this world and yet real. And as I dance with them I suddenly remember my little bottling Coven. Of course, a coven, that was these three
I had tested the fragrance several times a while ago, and the thought of forest was always in the back of my mind, since here on Parfumo the forest reference is mentioned in almost every comment. I'm talking about the most authentic forest here, the only true one, the one without a spruce needle foam bath, the mystical green deciduous forest in the mist... It's a big mistake to test a fragrance with such expectations, I predict here now completely unambiguously. Because every time I wore Coven I was somewhere in the forest, but not in mine. My forest and its scent are hard to describe and if I should find it I will let you know.
Today I wore coven again and I was thinking about witches. Witches can meet anywhere, it doesn't have to be a forest. It could be the Scottish moors, a gloomy moor, or an apartment in New York. Which I think is the closest thing to an apartment witch using coven. Because it smells like what city folk probably imagine the forest smells like. I don't think Coven is bad at all, yes, it's bitter green and moist and earthy, which I actually like very much. And it goes absolutely in the right direction, but unfortunately just before I dive into the dark forest with it it turns off and becomes vanilla, which bothers me a lot. VANILLE! If there is a sweet smell of decay somewhere in the woods I know. That is not nice, but it would fit much better into the forest in terms of scent. The New York witch, however, would be very disturbed by this and would probably prefer vanilla.

If I could recognize the whisky with a slight salt or smoke note that is mentioned here several times, the scent would have got 9 points from me. Also the witches on the storm-whipped Scottish heath would have rather tipped a shot into the cauldron instead of flavouring the brew with vanilla.

So my search for the forest and witch scent continues, but I will still wear Coven sometimes. Maybe on colder days the sweetness in me doesn't come out that way, maybe he will be my companion in autumn, when the kettle is boiling and the cat meows three times.

O sweet forest...
Thanks to the downright divine Serafina (thanks again, really), I have come into possession of a small "coven" bottling, which I have been flirting with for quite some time anyway. As a lover of greenery, Andrea Maack's interpretation of the forest has been in the top 10 list of my next purchases for quite some time, and the little green one finally competed against "07 Tanoke" by Odin New York, which has been shaping my understanding of forest-based scents for some time now and which I find absolutely great. A direct comparison of the two fragrances can be found in the long overdue Tanoke commentary, but of course I want to point this out here, so that at least "Coven" can be classified more or less clearly.

"Coven" starts completely different from Odin's top throw, namely not with an outrageously generous load of spruce needles - but surprisingly as a wonderfully peaceful, almost flowery deciduous forest. The fine sweetness is omnipresent at first, but then after a while it gives way to a spicy note, which declares a few aromatic herbs one after the other in a sun-drenched clearing, before setting off on a journey of exploration into soft warm earth (while Tanoke's heart still lingers a little higher in the needle-like treetops). A beautiful and imaginative fragrance, which naturally runs out of air a little earlier than its very expressive spruce counterpart, but which tends more towards femininity in the unisex area due to its less unruly and generally gentler nature. Andrea Maack has avoided the hay scent trail that often dominates in the light green, thus creating distance to the more tamed representatives, including those from Hermés' garden series ("Un Jardin sur le Toit"). What she shares a bit with the more well-known fragrance house is the rapidly fading projection, but up close the good one keeps herself quite brave.

Kernig is different (but again the reference to the "07 Tanoke", which I'll go into in more detail soon), but if you appreciate the soft and smooth tour of the Icelandic fragrance artist and are looking for an everyday companion that will take its wearer through the office reliably with a little more subtle emphasis, you'll probably be quite satisfied with "Coven". If Mrs. Maack had saved a little more of the delicious top note into her heart, a bottle would have been due at Magineer's as well - so a bottling every now and then would probably be enough for me. Nevertheless (very) good 8 fragrance points.
Nosorius
When cutting the ivy hedge
With the image of the mystical forest in my mind, I sprayed Coven on my forearm for the walk along the heathland wall in the Vosges mountains and it fitted perfectly with this forest full of moss-covered large boulders, which looked like they were bowled over there by giants. It was cool and windy, the forest was dense and humid and I would not have been surprised if goblins and unicorns had crossed our path and swept witches over us...
Coven starts already very fresh and bitter green, almost biting. Then a note of heavy, wet, dark earth is added, while this pungent green tone remains. In the base the whole thing is a little milder - in fact a certain similarity to peaty (Islay) whisky. So much for "a little milder" ;-) Vanilla is certainly not a dominant theme here.
Today I tested again - without the mystical forest scenery around me and I felt especially this quite dominant pungent green note. Boxwood? Thuja? No: Ivy! This is the ivy smell that is produced when cutting, not so much the leaves as the sap that swells from the cut branches or stems. Plus a good shot of conifer needles - then I am very close to the note of coven that runs through the whole fragrance.
Shelf life and silage seem to me to be quite tidy.
Who likes it green and wooded and is not on the sweet-flowery side, should have a look.
Magic, authentic forest soil
In my opinion the best forest interpretation I have ever smelled. And the scent cannot be assigned to any specific forest species (coniferous forest or deciduous forest), as the focus is fortunately neither on the woods and resins, nor on the leaves and needles, but rather on the fresh scent of a moist whale soil with its fungi, lichens and moss species, without becoming earthy.

So Coven really gives me the authentic feeling of lying on a forest floor covered in wafts of mist early in the morning and taking a deep breath. Mystical, cool, greener than green and incredibly "real" looking.

When I was looking for a green woodland scent, I swung extremely between Tom Ford's Vert d'Encens and this masterpiece here. In the end, I decided on Coven, as the woods were too much in the foreground for me in the Ford, which somehow took the magic out of it (despite the incense) and more drifted into sawmill.

All the other forest things I've tested have simply always reminded me of a cold bath.

Admittedly, I wear this very long-lasting perfume relatively rarely, as it doesn't really seem to fit perfectly in many situations, but every time I wear it it gives me a magical aura.

What is interesting is that two people told me completely independently of each other that they perceived a clear, hot but beautiful chili note. I myself don't notice any of this at all and I have no idea where this feeling could come from...maybe this is the real mysticism of this perfume
Durability: Very very very very long...10 hours
Sillage: Average, pleasant...
Wearability: Doesn't bother anywhere, but doesn't really fit anywhere perfectly (independent of the season)

rethinking green
coven is a superb abstract frag that says 'green' but forces one to reconsider what 'green' as a smell really means. it's damp but vibrant, woody but rather 'waterlogged' - mossy in a pond rather than on a tree - and weirdly resinous without any cliche ambery or liturgical references. rather than being a "millionth" iteration of whatever, coven is an fact quite original in approach for green and is one of maack's most appealing frags

And again...
Are you ready for the millionth sort of post-modern “soil-concrete” scent squeezing the desperate hell out of an idea which was barely enough for one scent? Yay. Coven opens with a particularly irritating smell of something halfway uncooked rice and damp paper on a rather confused sort of earthy-spicy-floral base accidentally spilled on wet soil. And so remains for a while. But when you’re almost ready to let the last bit of hope go, there’s a nice slow transition revealing a sort of weightless, synthetic floral-green heart with a warm albeit rather cheap sort of tobacco-infused designer woody-boozy feel (that reminds me so clearly of a scent I can’t remember at the moment – maybe Versace Man on steroids). Overall decent, but basically it evolves from a boring wannabe avantgarde thing, to a boring ordinary designer thing. Either it’s genius or...

5/10

by Zauber600
by Zauber600

Popular Andrea Maack

Smart by Andrea Maack Craft by Andrea Maack Coal by Andrea Maack Sharp by Andrea Maack Silk by Andrea Maack Birch by Andrea Maack Cornucopia by Andrea Maack Dark by Andrea Maack Soft Tension by Andrea Maack Dual by Andrea Maack