Ambre Fétiche (2007) Eau de Parfum

Ambre Fétiche (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal / Annick Goutal

Ambre Fétiche (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Goutal / Annick Goutal for women and men and was released in 2007. The scent is oriental-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by AmorePacific / 아모레퍼시픽은.

Amber, Frankincense, Labdanum, Benzoin, Orris absolute, Vanilla, Geranium, Patchouli

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 25.11.2019.

9.0/10

FvSpee
Preliminary winner in restricted competition
Amber fragrances present me with three problems:

1. My wife hates amber scents 2. i have to sneeze from amber scents;
3. my favorite colleague hates amber scents and has to sneeze about it.

The fact that I have nevertheless decided to finally buy myself an amber fragrance shows how much I am fascinated by this fragrance. This resinous-alsamic, in such a special way fresh, often sweet, practically always spicy playing, that is a really special fragrance experience, which one gets offered nowhere else than in Amberland.

So I decided to hold a restricted contest to determine which Amber would be allowed to move into my scent closet. Not invited was my first Amberliebe, Ambre 114 by Histoire des Parfums. At that time I was totally of the socks of this fragrance and had dedicated 9.5 points and an enthusiastic comment to it, but already at that time I recognized that this baroque-exaggerated Monstre amber is practically not wearable for a person born after 1780
The contestants were two MPG fragrances, Ambre Précieux, which I had once liked very much in my favourite perfumery in Brussels, and his heavier sibling Ambre Doré, unknown to me until then; and two fragrances that had come to me as samples, Ambre Orient from the Armani-Privé series (unknown to me until then) and Bel Ambre by Jacques Fath (tested about a year ago and honored with 8.0 and a statement), as well as this one here, Ambre Fétiche; after Ambre 114 my second Amberliebe.

First, I let the two fragrances of the perfumer and glove maker compete against each other, the Précieux and the Doré. The Doré flew out pretty fast, (also) it was too overloaded and pompous for me and above all too stinky (such a striking oud vetiver mucky note that didn't suit me). The Précieux, which seemed finer and more chased to me than it had been in Brussels, stayed in the game and competed against this one the following day.

I actually thought that was the early final. Above all, however, I was irritated at first, because Ambre Précieux came across quite differently this time than the day before; starting rather inelegantly with a somewhat overly dissonant sound and only after about an hour finding its elegant, bright centre, and then fading away into a wonderfully spicy, firm, balsamic, enduring base (which I cannot describe properly, but which is unique). Ambre Fétiche, on the other hand, is very different. Among the amber scents, Ambre Fétiche stands out with its strong frankincense notes, with it one buys, so to speak, Two-in-One, it is in comparison to the "Encense Flamboyant" from Goutal even the (even) more beautiful frankincense scent, I think. It's no disadvantage to me because I like incense notes. In the first act, which lasts for the first one to two hours, this incense is perhaps even in the foreground, here Ambre Fétiche impresses as a light grey, deep powdery, fine-silvery sparkling, dust-dry, almost ash-like incense spicy scent, high tones in major, rather unusual (I can't think of any comparison), which then gradually glides over into a (no longer greatly changed) perfectly balanced 10-point basis. Here then gold instead of silver, minor instead of major, deep instead of high tones, but at least as beautiful. The really nice thing here is - I think even pre-reviewers have already noticed this - that we have the full, deep, rich, oriental-spicy, almost gourmand cuddly program including vanilla and patchouli, but that this never, never, never does not slide into plush or exaggerated sweetness. That always remains beautifully centered and grown up, to which surely also the rather serious iris contributes by nature. That convinced me even more, and so Ambre Fétiche stayed on the field.

It should be inserted here that amber scents are apparently somewhat unstable in my perception; the perception of Précieux on one day so and on the other so does not seem to be an isolated case. Maybe Amber has a general tendency to go astray, I noticed that especially with amber scents the reviews often diverge a lot, not so much in the rating as in the description: One finds a scent wonderfully warm, the other enormously cool, one cuddly, the other hard etc.

But I wanted to finish it at some point and get an amber on my shopping list without months of undecided endurance tests. The Ambre Orient by Armai Privé was blamelessly eliminated from the competition. I only had a very small sample, applied it in the evening and fell asleep shortly before my normal time (maybe it was mixed with a sleeping pill that worked through the skin). So I only got the first five minutes and the next morning the breath; well, then not. I don't like the Armani-Privé series very much anyway.

What remained was Jacques Fath's Bel Ambre, who I had to play again directly against Ambre Fétiche. This time I liked it much, much better than when I first tested it, and I was impressed by the strong contrast to Ambre Fétiche in a direct comparison. Of all the scents tested, Bel Ambre is the most linear and the most suitable for everyday use: he doesn't strike with overly striking amber notes (which are often perceived as somewhat controversial not only in my environment), nor with incense or other "notes on which spirits divide". It is a very valuable, differentiated, but also rather uniform, calm, smooth, round, open, somewhat darker, rather heavy-firm, but also discreet scent (probably because the projection is muffled and eccentric notes are missing). I notice a certain note (I call it "peculiarly fruity", I can't say better than that), which reminds me strongly of Opium Pour Homme from YSL (I really like it and will wear it again tonight to celebrate the day).

Result: I'm not yet running to the next perfumery, but put Ambre Fétiche on my wish list. The two MPGs are placed in the exchange and gift box, although this decision is only very close for the "Ambre Précieux". The remaining sample "Bel Ambre" comes to the samples for future use. Should I ever want to own two Amber, it would be the perfect contrast fragrance for Ambre Fétiche.
6.0 7.0 9.0 9.0/10

Floyd
Give me your Pali, you little waver
For a long time I watched you from afar, like a teenager who spent days at this festival full of hippies and wavers sleeping in tents or in the damp earth by the fire. Hundreds were there, beating waves in front of the stage like in a rush, twitching over me in stroboscopic pictures or dancing like in a trance around imaginary shamans. You, on the other hand, were an anchor of calm and curiosity in this hustle and bustle. I looked at you and hallucinated your smell.
First there was the scent of the most beautiful patchouli, earthy-spicy, a little dirty and yet perfect. I guess that was Earth by the fire. Then I soon noticed the frankincense, sprinkled with bitter and sweet resins, which flickered like your androgynous face in the clouds of smoke, behind the stringy, black dyed hair, which partly covered your face, fell on your leather jacket. Here I stayed dreaming for a few hours. Then you infected yourself with a whistle. Dry sweet, the notes of finest vanilla tobacco waved over to me, while the fire went out. Still there was the earth, but it gave way more and more to your scent of dark red spicy amber, which surrounded me until dawn.
"Give me your palit cloth, little waver", the wish was repeated again and again in my thoughts to preserve something of your scent and the memory of these moments, knowing that it would be preserved in it, as in this night, never intrusive but always present, lasting nine to twelve hours, iridescing at increasingly slow intervals, as if peace would enter the waves of intoxication, the twitching images, the wildly dancing trance.
8.0 8.0 9.0 8.0/10

Stanze
Indiana Goutal in search of the amber fetish
Indiana Goutal pulled her hat deeper into her face and entered a small shop in the souk of a Moroccan town. In the shop, the air was full of incense, the salesman came and asked Indiana to take a seat so that he could show her the most exquisite spices and handicrafts. The words came out very slowly, scratchily and loudly under his monumental grey moustache. Indiana wondered that the man ever sold anything. She sat down in a big old leather armchair. The incense swaths became thicker, because the seller (let's call him Horst Schlemmer) threw incense on a small coal basin. "I have this incense from the desert of Thar, from the golden city of Jaisalmer. Not far from this city there are rugged mountains and in these mountains there is a temple. In this temple, members of a strange sect worship a fetish of amber. The cult members make small miniature fetishes and this incense. They sell all this in Jaisalmer and we get it delivered here with the caravan." Horst now showed Indiana some of the small amber fetishes. Small pieces of jewelry in animal form with eyes of gold, diamonds or emeralds. Indiana began to warm up for the subject. She was interested in the great amber fetish. This find would finally bring her fame and recognition. She bought frankincense from Horst to get used to the smell, one of the little fetishes and a treasure map and off she went to Rajasthan in India.

Indiana Goutal booked a place in the next caravan. - I'll play the story a little forward: Villains listened and followed her, but Indiana Goutal knocked them all down, bypassed numerous traps, renounced marriage to a youthful prince, and was the first to arrive at the temple. - The marble temple was over and decorated with figures from the amberiotic mythology. Indiana followed the incense clouds and found the inner space. The smell training was worth it. Behind the altar stood a huge statue of amber. It was decorated with diamonds, gold and emeralds. Horst Schlemmer had not lied. But there were also some amberiotic nuns sitting in the interior. They jumped up screaming as Indiana entered the room. First they wanted to jump on them and already pulled out dangerous looking daggers, but then they truncated, whispered, stared at the idol and then Indiana. There was an amazing resemblance. Indiana had had enough time on the trip to learn Hindi and asked the nuns why they looked so funny. The nuns told Indiana that she must be the prophesied perfumer who would make her incense and amber known throughout the world. Indiana did not torch for long but accepted the post and when they did not die, or even then, they still produce Ambre Fétiche today.

The fragrance is dominated by incense but also very resinous ambry. The projection is very strong at the beginning. The whole room's got some of that. That is why Ambre Fétiche is only suitable for priests and priestesses at work. I and family tester M like Ambre Fétiche very much and I immediately became Ambriotin.
8.0 8.0 9.0 8.5/10

Are you sure?!
I am certainly not the only one who has been given perfumery vouchers from Sillage to Eichenmoosia on his birthday or other feast days since he joined the Order of the Sworn Perfumers of Perfumery. So today my way led me to this opportunity in the local branch of the "Stadtparfümerie Pieper", wildly decided to bring me again an old price-performance-champion in the home shelf (it became Paco Rabannes "Pour Homme"). During the conversation with the really busy lady, even if the word "classic" is consistently misunderstood ("No, seriously, things like "Wanted by Night" and "Invictus" are definitely nothing for me. Sorry,") my gaze wandered into the high-price department with all its Tom Fords - and a small series of flacons that I didn't know. "Oh, does Goutal have a new bottle design now?" - "Yeah, you wanna smell that?" - "I'd love to! I don't know anything about Annick Goutal." - "Oh, you know what, I'll just fill you up on something. It's also very expensive, you have to test it extensively to see if you really like it."

Thinking, "Um... you mean. You fill me... Just like that?! Are you sure...?"
Said (a little too loud): "YES KLAR! Thank you!"

I don't know if this happens more regularly to other readers, but even in time-honored non-franchise perfumeries I have only been stuffed with the typical handful of "maybe try malt" after the checkout process. Of course, I'd love to. If I still need something, then another sample tube from "Eternity for Men" or the blue one from Lacoste...

Six, seven milliliters in the vaporizer. I was flat. At this point a warm, fading "Thank you!" in the ether.

Already in the shop Mrs. Goutal gives me a veritable oscillator in the broadcasting center. A resinous-sweet, dark wave of burnt; with discreet iris. Great and indeed "leathery", without smelling like leather! During the journey by car the brandy impression weakens and lets the incense emerge identifiably. At the same time, its coolness is warmed up by a vanilla with a clearer, very high-quality scent, and kept in that refined balance that is able to wrest awe from the skilfully composed steam ramming scents: How often do ambitious wide-screen representatives turn from a niche into an unpleasant brutalism? This never happens to "Ambre Fétiche", even if it does take up a lot of space. About six hours later, while typing these lines, the association returns to burnt, but very quietly and wrapped in thick, comforting amber-vanilla swaths. Crème brûlée, indeed - but homemade and fresh from the oven. Not to be compared with glossy trend gourmands: this one still smells like perfume. And I'm glad I'll be able to enjoy it more. Have I said thank you yet?
8.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

Devil's Lady!
There are always days when I don't want to be sweet and cuddly, understanding and tolerant! Then I am - often without any reason - "brushed against the grain" and everyone who meets me would do well to make a wide bow around the extended spines.
With me these spines often have also barbs!
A good friend called me on these, fortunately rare days: "Devil's Lady!"
In the Bavarian-Austrian linguistic area people also say: "He/she smokes koan Guaten today!"

That's why "Ambre Fétiche", this spicy fragrance from Annick Goutal, is a welcome companion. It doesn't matter if there are more than twenty degrees in the morning: there is no way around it!

And as he smokes, this fragrance!
With Labdanum, the resin of the already very strong cistus, a more than spicy base is already laid.
In addition there is benzoin, the resin of the Styrax tree, which is also used in incense. And often also in very special perfumes.
This sweet scent is always reminiscent of vanilla, but is less cuddly than vanilla.
And yet these two resins are so sensual and erotic that sensibilities should rather avoid each of these two journeymen.
Together they sometimes seem almost violent!
Already in the first moments of the fragrance the devil seems to squint around the corner!
He probably also throws incense - and that not too scarce - and amber into this spicy-strong smouldering fire!
The impression that it is smoking and smoking is still there.
Only now do some "softeners" dare to enter this fragrance stage: Iris-Absolue and Rosengeranie!
Both also very special in fragrance, but fit very well in this fragrant incense from the flacon.
Vanilla flatters itself tenderly and Patchouli, not shy either, adds its own to the already existing golden amber shine!
"Ambre Fétiche" is somehow really breathtaking!

Under normal conditions the durability of this fragrance is above average even for me; but on the last, very warm days I was surrounded by it for a dreamy long time.
The devil takes me here to my personal "limbo"! (I didn't meet Dante there by the way!)
And yet my ruffled feathers are noticeably smoothed by "Ambre Fétiche".

Also "Ambre Fètiche" is a fragrance created only by women.
Camille Goutal and her perfumer Isabelle Doyen work together day and night if necessary. Until both are satisfied with the success of their work.
Both are masters of their trade, successfully continuing the legacy of Annick Goutal.

As an unhappy, though gifted pianist and equally unfulfilled mannequin, Annick Goutal surprisingly discovered the world of fragrances for herself.
After a conscientious training in Grasse, she tried to create her own perfume brand in 1980.
At the beginning of the 1980s she met the young, unknown Isabelle Doyen.
Their encounter resembled an olfactory lightning strike!

For Isabelle the lively, graceful and warm-hearted Annick was a sunbeam.
A world collapses for her when Annick Goutal dies of cancer at the age of 53.
And not only for her, but of course also for her daughter Camille, who actually dreamed of becoming a photographer!
At first she reluctantly takes over the business; in the meantime both women form a harmonious unit.
The fragrances they create testify to this harmonious relationship. Also the unusual, feminine ambience in which they work seems to be noticeable here.
Here nothing is created in a sterile laboratory.

They want to tell stories with their scents. Perhaps this is why the sensations that are repeatedly described here in the Annick Goutal fragrances are so changeable: some stories are simply not understood; for others you need a lot of patience!

"Ambre Fétiche" captivated me from the very first moment; perhaps because he is not pliant, friendly and bright.
He is not Everybody's Darling; he carries a depth within him that everyone should feel for themselves.
And Meggi is absolutely right: one is surprised that this resinous harmony still goes through the atomizer!
But then something extraordinary develops!
7.0 9.0 9.0 10.0/10

Perfect rich evocative amber
I really love amber perfumes and I own a few of them but Ambre Fetiche is my absolute favorite amber perfume. It is warm, rich, medicinal and incensed amber with a great blend of leather, labdanum and benzoin playing a second role and a grown up vanilla patchouli inclusion in the drydown. I associate this smell with mages of antique wood and leather furniture, rich thick granate and gold thread fabrics and venetian paintings by Veronese and Tintoretto. Like a golden fire light in the dark, like the sun itself in the darkness of the universe. Really evocative and in my case truly uplifting. Perfect for winter early night-long dark days.

Ambre fetiche is quite bold so it is not that easy perfume to use on a daily basis in today's perfume extra ruled and controlled landscape. That makes me crave for it even more.

Perfectly unisex, very long lasting and non linear with a changing evolution of which I enjoy all of its stages. Big sillage, be cautious with the number of sprays.

I really hope this one never disappears, it is a masterpiece.
5.0 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

Amber Incense...
I call this one the "dirty" amber. For me it is a very "real" amber, not a sugary, clean one, not a sweet cloying one. This one is sheer, it's full, and it doesn't hold back. Incredible value for money!

Ambre Fétiche opens up with all the resins you could think of: Benzoin, Styrax, Labdanum... followed by Leather and Incense, with an Amber-Vanilla touch to everything. It is multi-faceted, it can be sweet, it can be dirty, it can be rough, it can be smooth... and as the fragrance progresses, it shows all these different faces. I really admire it. I admire it for it's ability to challenge me and envelop the senses with it's warm, golden aroma. It's very lush, and also at times dry, and at other times sheer.

A note I especially like is the Russian Leather aspect, sort of like the leather you would find in a vintage fragrance. This is leather which has been "cured" with birch tar, but it doesn't overwhelm the fragrance. There is enough sultry Vanilla and Labdanum to keep this from being too mouth-wateringly dry or harsh. This is especially prevalent in the dry-down, which leaves the skin smelling warm, sweet, and dusty, like smooth warm leather dusted with powdered brown sugar. The dry-down is the best here, especially as some might find the opening a bit harsh.

Overall, a wonderful value for money fragrance. Two sprays are enough to last you up to six hours, and on clothes this lasts longer. Sweet, smoky, resinous. For all lovers of (true) amber, you should check this one out. Ambre Fétiche has the ability to smell ancient but modern at the same time. Wonderful stuff!
2.5 5.0 5.0 3.0/10

Ambre Fétiche
This fragrance opens with a complex amber composite that smells of smoky vanilla and hazelnut. As the accord settles, the smoky and nutty aspects dominate everything, only to lose their dominance again later on. As the fragrance progresses, the nutty note disintegrates in its vegetal components. The fragrance now smells predominately of vanilla with a faint trace of patchouli as a base. This is a fairly simple scent with a similar construction like its sister scent Myrrhe Ardente.
7.5 5.0 7.5 8.0/10

Amber with a capital A
Ambre Fétiche starts of with a slightly medical/ boozy note. But almost immediately after that the powdery and ambery incense kicks in, followed by the sweetness of vanilla and benzoin with a tad of leather and (almost not noticeable) the flowers. The ambery incense remains throughout the whole life span. The journey ends with a lovely soft and powdery vanilla.

This is a scent for the autumn and winter season. It's the most dark and strong perfume I own. Lasting power is good, on my skin the last trail of the scent is still detectable after at least 8 hours.
7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Rich, ambery goodness
Incense is becoming a real love of mine. The more I experience it in fragrances, the more devoted to it I become.

Ambre Fetiche is all about the incense. Not only is it the scent; it's the ash, the smoke and the stuffiness of it all, brought together in one big bottle of harmonious love.

This fragrance is what I had dreamed Ambre Gris by Balmain to smell like. Rich, vanillary, smokey and exotic. It is becoming rather difficult for me to choose between Myrrhe Ardente and this fragrance as my next purchase.

Please don't expect this fragrance to be shy, Ambre Fetiche is the opposite. It wants to be loud and proud. This fragrance is a real head-turner.

The sillage and lasting strength is absolutely incredible. Whoever said that Annick Goutal fragrances don't last, must be mad. Especially during Winter, this fragrance will last, and last and last.

I would find it incredibly difficult to resist any man wearing this fragrance. Hell, I'd find even it difficult to resist myself if I was wearing it too. I feel like such a bad-girl wearing this, and I must say that I like this new-found me.

Do beware that I am one for strong, bold, in-your-face type fragrances, that are not always to people's tastes. The trick is to avoid overdoing the applications. Regardless of whether or not people like Ambre Fetiche, they will absolutely hate it if you go overboard.
7.0/10

Amber FETISH
It took a few wearings, but I finally "get" AG AMBRE FÉTICHE (Amber Fetish).

This is a dirty amber, with incense, leather & a bit of vanilla. As the strongest fragrance in the Les Orientales line, AF has about the same presence on my skin as AP Strip, which is to say ... ALOT. Definitely unisex, maybe even leaning toward masculine, but it's rare for me find a wearable mass market masculine, so this is a win for me.

When you're in need of a skank fest, look her up.

Alex1984 2 years ago
Leather fetish; vanilla scented gloves; amber and labdanum screen; naked bodies, heat, incense smoke; samovars, honey, tea. Stunning!+5
9.0

by Peet
by CountZero
by CountZero

Popular Goutal / Annick Goutal

Ninfeo Mio by Goutal / Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal / Annick Goutal Ambre Fétiche (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal / Annick Goutal Encens Flamboyant (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal / Annick Goutal Eau du Sud by Goutal / Annick Goutal Nuit Étoilée (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal / Annick Goutal Songes (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal / Annick Goutal Petite Chérie (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal / Annick Goutal Mandragore by Goutal / Annick Goutal Sables by Goutal / Annick Goutal Les Nuits d'Hadrien by Goutal / Annick Goutal Vanille Exquise by Goutal / Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre by Goutal / Annick Goutal Musc Nomade by Goutal / Annick Goutal Myrrhe Ardente (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal / Annick Goutal Duel by Goutal / Annick Goutal Le Mimosa by Goutal / Annick Goutal Grand Amour (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal / Annick Goutal Un Matin d'Orage (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal / Annick Goutal Eau de Charlotte by Goutal / Annick Goutal