Ce Soir ou Jamais (1999) Eau de Parfum

Ce Soir ou Jamais (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal / Annick Goutal
Bottle Design: Baccarat
Ce Soir ou Jamais (Eau de Parfum) (Goutal / Annick Goutal)

Ce Soir ou Jamais (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Goutal / Annick Goutal for women and was released in 1999. The scent is floral-fruity. It is being marketed by AmorePacific / 아모레퍼시픽은.

Turkish rose, Ambrette seed

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 10.10.2018

Longevity 7.5/10
A Portrait of a Marriage
If Vita Sackville West had harnessed her knowledge of flowers and writing to a penchant for perfume what reviews would have graced The Observer? Imagine Sissinghurst Castle as an English Givaudan.
Vita would have loved Ce Soir ou Jamais. It defined her life. “Tonight or Never” she told her lover, Violet Trefusis. They left their respective husbands and fled to Amiens, where their husbands, having flown in on a two seater plane, intercepted their plans. It was 1920. Absolute scandal ensued.
Her garden was overblown with roses; she reported herself ‘Drunk with Roses.’ What rose perfume would Vita have loved? Her son wrote a book and called it ‘A Portrait of a Marriage’ Would Vita have loved Portrait of a Lady? Yes, I think she would have. She loved Souvenir du Docteur Jamain, deepest darkest blooms of Damask, prone to blight. Paris?...Without doubt. Perfumer’s Workshop Tea Rose? Yes, she would have worn that in the garden and kept Ce Soir for the twilight. Would Sa Majeste from Serge Lutens have found its way into her tower. Yes, she would have worn it during the winter at pruning and burning time. Ce Soir ou Jamais is nothing but a thick jammy rose but it’s not what you’ve got, it’s how you use it.
Scent 7.0/10
Nocturnal garden
A delightful, flowery fragrance, featuring the very substantial oil of the Turkish rose with "honeyed" overtones. A rich interpretation of the velvety floral notes, a "nocturnal garden" with a lingering heart of roses and a beautiful drydown, slightly reminiscent of "Joy", but not as grand.
If you love this type of fragrance, "Ce soir ou jamais" might be an alternative to "Joy". A beautifully romantic perfume.
Hibiscus perfume
I smell A LOT of hibiscus in this perfume. A ...type of rose in a way, many people call it "chinese rose". But I smell way too much, it takes over any other rose notes in there, and the shy pear note.

It's a good perfume, but... in my opinion- only for those who like the smell of Hibiscus.
Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
"For Rose lovers only" ...
In my neck of the woods niche fragrances are well nigh impossible to come by, apart from a few more mainstream lines kept here and there. I was lucky enough to discover Etat Libre d'Orange and a few others via these avenues, but say "Goutal" down here and people reply with "huh?". I've had a few samples in swaps but when this one presented itself for sale by a fellow perfume junkie I jumped at the chance!

Ce Soir Ou Jamais, in a word, is "ravishing"!! This is Rose at her very sexiest, all slinky in marabou slippers and form fitting silk satin ... not quite the femme fatale but no blushing bride either! She offers an ultimatum ... it's "now or never" and in doing so becomes completely beguiling.
The opening burst of this fragrance is heavy with a fruitiness that recalls over-ripe pears, but this effect is short lived as the central idea of Roses in full, sweet, velvety bloom begins to assert itself. It's as if one is approaching an immense arrangement of them from a distance, their scent becoming all the more enveloping with each step closer.
The Goutal website maintains that Ce Soir Ou Jamais is made up of more than 160 ingredients. 150 of those must be various forms of Roses from different places ... the intricate layers of Rose from delicate and charming to impossibly sweet and honeyed are simply astounding. I'm not sure what Hibiscus smells like, never having had the pleasure ... but there is a somewhat tropical aspect to Ce Soir Ou Jamais, as well as a slight smokiness, no doubt as a result of the Amber. Traditionally composed of Benzoin, Labdanum and Vanilla, this Amber is muted and respectful of it's minor role as a supporting cast member in this Rose Extravaganza.
I don't know why I bother rating sillage and longevity ... my perfume munching skin makes a mockery of most fragrances. On me, the lifespan of Ce Soir Ou Jamais is sufficient at a little over 4 hours but a full wearing is in the offing to establish the impression of others.

This is not a fragrance that the average male would be comfortable wearing ... but if one is a Rose addict (I have a lifetime membership in this club!) then not at least sampling Goutal's Ce Soir Ou Jamais would be remiss. This beautifully crafted fragrance should carry the label "for Rose lovers only".
Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.0/10
The Queen of all roses
I had read somewhere that Ce Soir ou Jamais was one of the late Annick Goutal's favourite fragrances. I find all of her scents to be lovely creations, however if I were to choose my favourite rose from her collection, I'd also say Ce Soir ou Jamais.

Rose may be this fragrance's most dominant note, however the additional frangipani, jasmine and musk add extra colour and complexity to something that could be straight-up, pretty, pink roses.

Had I smelt this particular scent a few years ago, I may not have appreciated it. It was on my twentieth birthday that the allure of a owning a rose scent really grabbed my attention. For those that associate rose to that of an old lady, which I once did, needs to open their eyes and experience something as beautiful as Ce Soir ou Jamais.

The delicious rose note in this fragrance is almost dewy, being fresh and exotic in a very appealing sense. It is a tad 'antique inspired', however it does not seem so rich and ancient like it's big sister, Rose Absolue.

Ce Soir ou Jamais has a rather youthful impression, which I feel is brought about by subtle fruity notes, like pear, that tends to linger softly in the heart. This fragrance is a little bit like Quel Amour!, yet perhaps not as Spring-like and fresh.

I read a beautiful article on the Perfume-Smellin' Things blog, that portrayed Ce Soir ou Jamais as being in 3-D. I have to agree that this fragrance has the ability to bring a rose note to life.

I have only experienced this fragrance in the EDT concentration, and from that I would say that the lasting power is quite good and the sillage light yet detectable. As in regards to the EDP version, I have noticed that some feel it too wine-like, quite intense and boozy. For a delicate rose like I have described I'd probably lean more towards buying the EDT.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 9.0/10
A strong, bold and unique rose in full bloom
Ce Soir ou Jamais translates as Tonight or Never. A beautiful name for a stunning rose fragrance. I will never use this as a casual perfume, because this is not a casual perfume to me. For me it is like experiencing something beautiful and extraordinary. I love many other Goutal’s creations but Ce Soir ou Jamais has a special place in my heart. I have read that it took years for Annick Goutal to perfect the formula for Ce Soir ou Jamais and I think she really put her heart into this perfume. It is a monumental, complex and unique rose scent with a beautiful and passionate soul.

It says on Annick Goutal site that the composition for this scent has over 140 ingredients. And I agree that it is not a rose soliflore, though it is rose-dominated scent. The opening is like rose petals dipped in sweet fruits. I think that I smell pear and lemony notes in the opening. The scent quickly transforms into a bold and strong rose and hibiscus bouquet with fruity and spicy accents. The opening and heart notes are strong and complex. I would even call them sharp at times. This is not a tender rose water made for those who want a delicate rose scent. It is more like a rose elixir. The scent stays linear until the dry down when it transforms into slightly sweet, almost honeyed and cozy rose. The lasting power is great.

Ce Soir ou Jamais is a magnificent rose scent. Tonight or Never… The world stops, nothing else matters accept for this one moment, one chance to experience something extraordinary – the rose in full bloom. Annick Goutal managed to capture this feeling and the scent in Ce Soir ou Jamais.

Fabirss 70 days ago
To my nose Ce Soir ou Jamais is Lutens' La Fille de Berlin without the excessive geranium note. Bottom line: impossible not to love it!+1

• by CosmicLove by CosmicLove