Le Chèvrefeuille (2002)

Le Chèvrefeuille by Goutal / Annick Goutal

Le Chèvrefeuille is a perfume by Goutal / Annick Goutal for women and was released in 2002. The scent is floral-fresh. It is being marketed by AmorePacific / 아모레퍼시픽은.

Top Notes Top NotesHoneysuckle, Petitgrain, Lemon

BelgwenBelgwen 6 years ago

„Unexceptional honeysuckle”

6.0 7.0 8.0/10

Serenissima
a farmer's child dresses up
First of all: my favorite among all the Chèvrefeuille fragrances that are or were on the market is the original one from Yves Rocher.
As a young woman and Yves Rocher customer, perhaps from the "second hour", I got to know this fragrance and am actually still looking for this originality.
Like his scented brothers at that time, "Chèvrefeuille" contained only honeysuckle, renounced Chi-Chi and all kinds of ornaments.
Unfortunately, this fragrance is past; I already wrote a tribute to him.
But I still miss him!

Also at Annick Goutal in assortment "Le Chèvrefeuille" in the Soliflor-Collection is not missing of course; I use this fragrance also gladly.
But this is where the farmer's kid honeysuckle got to. The firm garden gloves give way to those made of fine lace or glacé; the feet are put into pumps instead of wooden shoes and the resistant coat apron becomes a light, fragrant summer dress. Even the headscarf becomes a pretty hat.
Here we are experiencing a transformation that has actually succeeded.
But nevertheless the farmer child does not feel so well so "disguised"; one notices it already.

Honeysuckle in its original form, in "its" gardens adorns every fence, every shabby pergola and prettifies many a building sin; it is everywhere.
The original sweetness can be almost a little annoying in sunny afternoons and can even cause headaches - the almost nectar-like heavy honey scent of the flowers, sometimes almost numb.
When the air seems to be hot and the cicadas loudly announce their presence, it wouldn't come as a surprise if the hairy little guy with a horse's foot and a flute appeared from a corner of the garden: Pan is on his way; it is the hour of Pan!
He enjoys this nectar in the air and enjoys his life.

Annick Goutal has added citric freshness to her honeysuckle: Petitgrain and the fragrance of the ripe lemon gangle it a little. Instead of heavy and sweet, the opening note of this fragrance is fresh and floral.
The beauty of the simple but very fragrant garden jasmine settles in the heart and entertains to the renewed honeysuckle note "a little flirtation"!
It's quite entertaining and a bit feminine. There is already nothing more to be guessed of the farmer's flower; the "cosmetic" has succeeded quite successfully.
Fresh and ladylike-innocent, "Le Chévrefeuille" presents itself here.
Nobody suspects that this mixture of scents will settle in a completely normal rural garden.
It's too fine, too civilized!
As a highlight of this creation the narcissus is added; it brings some sweetness to this fragrance once again.
With it "Le Chèvrefeuiele" rises into a better league; or it tries it anyway.

I like this fragrance, it actually doesn't deserve to be compared with this "Urvaten" by Yves Rocher.
It moves easily and rather elegantly, with easy steps it develops its fragrance and establishes itself e.g. on a hotel terrace at the Côte d'Azur! Forgotten is the rural origin!
Nothing reminds of the farmer's child anymore; only from time to time it breaks out into a rather unfamiliar laugh instead of just a fine smile.
Even honeysuckle cannot be bent too much.

Like most Annick Goutal fragrances, "Le Chèvrefeuille" is quite volatile.
It's worth putting in one of the beautiful flacons to spray on: in the course of an afternoon, not only with coffee and cake on our hotel terrace on the Côte, but also at cocktail hour, when the pianist arrives, a new fragrance is needed: it has to be sprayed!
A new fragrance push is not annoying, it does not disturb! Even the immediate surroundings don't feel bothered by it.

Annick Goutall has created a tamed, civilized honeysuckle scent here that doesn't leave much to be desired.
And yet I sometimes think back to the old days when the goat was actually called Ziege and its stable was not the Grandhotel, but a kind of wooden hut.

Many thanks, Madame, for the good intention; I find "Le Chèvrefeuille" successful in its own way and welcome its clean, fresh charisma!
Instead of a glass of milk, a glass of champagne - à votre Santé!
10.0 2.5 2.5 3.0/10

Unexceptional honeysuckle
In my search for the ultimate Honeysuckle fragrance, I've come across Le Chevrefeuille's sample. I’m unhappy to report that my first few tries have ended in bitter disappointment. This is a very light fragrance predictably centered around the Honeysuckle note. It begins with nondescript citrus which then leads to a green Honeysuckle drydown. The fragrance lasted about an hour on my skin before it completely faded away. It had no sillage (I had to shove my nose into my arm to get a whiff right after first application) and the lasting power left much to be desired. To ensure that my chemistry wasn't playing tricks on me, I tried this in different seasonal temperatures, several times, and on paper as well. I keep getting the same result.

Now I may raise a few eye brows when I say this but... If you are looking for an affordable, simple, and yet realistic Honeysuckle fragrance, look into Victoria Secret’s Sexy Little Things / Heartbreaker. That composition is just as simple as this one – it actually follows a similar note pyramid – however, it’s light enough for warm temperatures with better staying power, balance, and a much more realistic rendition of the Honeysuckle note.
8.0 5.0 6.0 6.0/10

Refreshingly simple
This is a very beautiful, fresh, green creation which should serve as a model for other honeysuckle fragrances. I loved "Chevrefeuille" by Yves Rocher as a child, but don't like the current reformulated version as much as the vintage. That's why I tried Goutal's "Chevrefeuille" which is lighter and brighter than today's Yves Rocher scent - with a stronger accent on jasmine. Goutal's version is as accessible to everybody as the much cheaper Yves Rocher fragrance, but the rather high price (in comparison to YR) could be off-putting. Apart from that, Goutal's "Chevrefeuille" does not last very long, it has to be reapplied several times during the day. Well, it's a very light "EAU", not a full perfume. Delightful and refreshingly simple.
10.0 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

A Greenish Jasmine-Honeysuckle
Annick Goutal nearly always produces perfumes which I'd be happy to wear again and again. The compositions are sometimes simple, but the quality is dependable, and the soliflores usually offer a slight twist on the named flower. LE CHEVREFEUILLE is a perfect example.

This perfume smells initially to me like a distant cousin to PETITE CHERIE--I catch just the tiniest waft of fruitiness, which could be pear, right at the beginning. Then it disappears forever, and the honeysuckle emerges, but it is rather green, and I find jasmine competing effectively for the center stage. At one point during my first wearing, I started to feel as though LE CHEVREFEUILLE was more of a juvenile perfume--something that Barbie would wear. From there, I thought naturally of Rochas POUPEE and how sad that the plastic of that perfume ruins it for me.

But there is no plastic in Annick Goutal--anywhere, as far as I have sniffed--and LE CHEVREFEUILLE ends up retreating a bit from Barbie territory just enough to make me realize that this greenish honeysuckle-jasmine is a solid soliflore.

I do believe that GRAND AMOUR is a better floral green from this house, but LE CHEVREFEUILLE would be nice to have around to wear now and then, and I do find it to be a better jasmine perfume than LE JASMIN, because it has very different, much less woody and far more likeable base.
5.0 5.0 6.0/10

Bitter, green honeysuckle
Le Chevrefeuille is an extremely green scent, almost bitter but lovely all the same.

For those who aren't usually wearers of green fragrances, this may take a while to get acquainted with. Le Chevrefeuille is actually quite delicate and fresh. The honeysuckle, jasmine and narcissus gives this scent an unusual femininity while the petit grain creates an interesting grassy and herbaceous finish.

The lemon is quite dominant alongside the honeysuckle, however this isn't sour citruses, it's more fresh and energizing, with a definite 'zing'.

Oddly enough this fragrance is not sweet. It's rich and quite brash. I disagree with those reviewers that call this a simplistic scent, I think there's a lot going on which makes it very complex for me.

All in all this is a very luscious and happy fragrance which would wear wonderfully in Spring and Summer. The lasting strength is so-so in my opinion, not terrible but certainly not as lasting as other Annick Goutal's that I've tried. If it's possible to get Le Chevrefeuille in eau de parfum concentration then disregard the price tag because that would be your best option.

by Smitty