Les Nuits d'Hadrien (2004)

Les Nuits d'Hadrien by Goutal / Annick Goutal

Les Nuits d'Hadrien is a perfume by Goutal / Annick Goutal for women and men and was released in 2004. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is being marketed by AmorePacific / 아모레퍼시픽은.

Top Notes Top NotesArtemisia, Green mandarin, Sicilian bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesBasil, Caraway, Juniper, Cypress
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Patchouli, Vanilla

Submitted by Kittycat, last update on 01.05.2019

10.0 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Citrus Oriental Aromatic Fougère?
Sometimes people rub us the wrong way when we first meet them, and perfumes can do the same. This happened to me with LES NUITS D'HADRIEN. For whatever reason, I just did not process this perfume when I first wore it. I had picked up a small tester with cap scent unsniffed from a discounter, which seemed like a safe enough gamble: I love EAU D'HADRIEN, and I admire and respect the house of Annick Goutal. What could go wrong?

Well, somehow the composition just struck me as ill-conceived. Looking back, with the benefit of hindsight, I suspect that I was expecting an oriental perfume from the name ("Les Nuits"), but instead there was quite a lot of citric and aromatic activity going on. It didn't really make sense to me, so I stowed the bottle in the back of my armoire and pretty much forgot about.

During the final throes of my December 2012 feeding frenzy, I was sent a number of fresh samples of LES NUITS D'HADRIEN as a part of various lots being offered as gifts with purchase at some of the online stores where I shop. It occurred to me that I might ought to give this perfume another sniff. Perhaps my bottle obtained from a discounter had turned?

In fact, it had not. The LES NUITS D'HADRIEN in my bottle smells exactly as it should. It's just that it does not smell like anything else, and it flouts the orthodox categories. This is not a citrus cologne, like its namesake, although the opening smacks unmistakably of EAU D'HADRIEN. From there, however, the two creations diverge quite radically.

LES NUITS D'HADRIEN contains cypress, but it also contains juniper, basil, and caraway! And then there is the base which is rich enough to be an oriental perfume: amber, musk, patchouli and vanilla? In fact, it really smells nice at every stage of its development, even though it seems like three or even four different perfumes!

This Citrus Oriental Aromatic Fougère sounds like a mess, but somehow it works!

Deep Sun
Ahh, what a Delicate scent this is. I love to carry this one, but also love to sniff around me. Soft and deep at the same time. Les Nuits goes ahaid of Eau de Hardien if asked by me. Longevity is much better than in Eau and this is deeper. Gives wonderfull dreams by the way! And is refreshing. Same time also comforting. Wonderfull combination indeed!
5.0 5.0 6.0/10

Citrus with a dash of spicy herbs
I first smelt this fragrance almost two years ago, and I vividly remember cringing as I found the citrus too acidic and strange. These days my nose is much better trained and I have learnt to appreciate such scents.

Le Nuits d'Hadrien is not all citrus, in fact the citrus notes are shadowed by the herbaceous qualities. I own Eau d'Hadrien which I find too lemony, however this version is much more rounded.

The lemon, although present, doesn't play a huge part in this composition. The mandarin orange stands out the most, especially with the aromatic herbs surrounding it.

Because of the green herbs, which are at times a tad too spicy, Le Nuits d'Hadrien has a dark aura of citrusy warmth and exotic cooking spices. I made a pork roast once which I seasoned with bay leaves, orange pulp and rosemary. This fragrance reminds me of that beautiful Winter dish.

Over the course of this fragrance's drydown, Le Nuits d'Hadrien does take on a rather soapy quality, however the earthy patchouli, citrus and herbs can still be recognised.

Unfortunately the lasting power of this fragrance is not great, nor is the sillage which is pretty weak. I hate when some Annick Goutal fragrances fade quickly because it gives people the impression that all her scents do this, which is not true. I have only tested the EDT version, however with my experience with this fragrance house, the EDP's usually last a lot longer.

Either way, this fragrance is still worth checking out, especially if citrus aromatics are your thing.

by PureNeugier