Mandragore by Goutal / Annick Goutal

Mandragore is a perfume by Goutal / Annick Goutal for women and men and was released in 2005. The scent is spicy-fresh. It is being marketed by AmorePacific / 아모레퍼시픽은.

Bergamot, Black pepper, Spearmint, Star anise, Ginger

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 05.02.2019

7.0 3.0 5.0 7.5/10
Invigorating Fresh Spicy
This review is based on Eau de Toilette concentration.

The initial blast of Mandragore contains a lot of bergamot, very refreshing and energetic. The citrus soon hides away as a supporting role and reveals a combination of anise, mint and ginger. It's green, fresh, reviving, zesty and sparkling. I was overwhelmed by this phase as this combination of spices which is usually thick, actually delivers such an unusually translucent scent.

However, this phase doesn't hold up very long and it soon was taken over by a spicy and earthy scent. The spices are still the same as above, but no longer freshly picked. They're dried and their ultimate spiciness are sublimed. Interestingly the fragrance remains ethereal even at this stage.

Unfortunately, Mandragore turns bland and watery afterwards, and loses its vivacity and strength. It was soft at the beginning and now it stays extremely close to skin. It dies after about 4 or 5 hours on me, which is weak among those I tried from Annick Goutal.

Mandragore, in contrary to the prune bottle and the mysterious name, is actually green to my nose. I appreciate the aromatic and spicy stages towards the beginning very much. However, these interesting stages doesn't last long (about 1 hour) and the fragrance itself either, which implies frequent reapplication to me. I'm curious if EDP would suit me better.

Nontheless, this should not hold you back from trying it. This green aromatic fragrance, lasting or not, has a very interesting twist that can hardly be described, but to be experienced by oneself.
8.0 5.0 5.0 8.0/10
Stanze
Simsalakadabra and twice colorful cat
Theophrastus (371 - 287 B.C.) wrote in a very serious treatise that when one picks the mandrake, looking east, one must draw three circles with a sword around the mandrake, then dance around and talk as much as possible. I didn't have a sword with me in the perfumery, but isn't the feather more powerful than the sword anyway? (If it is a very large pointed feather perhaps.)

On another scent by Annick Goutal you can read on the official website that the powers of the mandrake are legendary (according to the pyramid there is no mandrake in it at all). "The mandrake can avert lightning and make it into love potions" (well, I don't find Mandragore really animal or sexually stimulating; animal peppermint would be something like squaring the circle and to avert lightning I'd rather use a lightning rod). "In the furthest corner of a workshop, through a thin veil of star anise, the mandrake elixir unfolds its mystical and aromatic scent." Yeah, that's the purple stuff, because the original version, Mandragore, doesn't exist anymore. Of course, old bottles don't fizzle out in the air like hallucinations caused by mandrake, so don't take the non-existence too literally.

One of these women in the back corners of shops recently sprayed me with mandrake elixir from an old bottle and only afterwards realized that she could no longer sell it to me. I had a pretty quiet day, by the way. What actually happens if you don't talk so much while picking the mandrake?

I liked the smell. Mandragore is first bergamoty fresh and then minty with some anise. I never thought I'd like mint even though I know Mandragore Pourpre. I wasn't sure I liked that one. Green Mandragore is probably better for me than purpurnes.

I like the scent, but the durability of the Eau de Toilette is really underground, a good 4 hours. I didn't know that at the store, of course. The projection is okay at the beginning, but then becomes very close.

As if by magic ("Please", for example, is also a magic word), I finally found a Mandragore bottle, the contents of which I now eagerly familiarize myself with. I got the men's bottle. It's solidly functional. Nice sticker, metal lid.

I think Mandragore is more suited to men (and me) and I honestly don't know why it belongs mainly to women. I'll wear mandragore more in my spare time. Although the low projection also makes the perfume workable. For going out, you might want to wear something with more wumms. Chess is also a sport, you could wear it for that or curling.
8.0 7.0 7.0 7.5/10
Augusto
Magic or classic? The green lake
AugustA finds this top note fantastic, rarely such a beautiful bergamot-ginger-anise combination smelled. Explosive the moment, fireworks, but then, ascending like a sunrise, a fragrance unfolds that is sunny and winter-spicy at the same time, a golden glimmer as of cinnamon, ginger. And this bergamot tuning is absolutely worth mentioning and has taken me completely for the fragrance!

After this wonderful top note appears and is over, the scenery, and thus the fragrance coloring, changes completely. The fragrance is now green-grey. Quickly becomes very herbaceous, somehow underground. Herb. Very. So whether the light of this sunrise had been drawn out and transformed. I don't really like this change immediately. He seems a little old to me, very old. On the skin, the scent becomes somewhat dull. Sufficing the skin does not increase the attractiveness of the fragrance, which is a pity at first.

After about an hour, however, the star anise unfolds. Reminds me a little of the aniseed in AC's Mistral Patchouli, but as it evolves it seems more expressive, a touch of sweetness unfolds, perhaps even salty spice. Best perceptible at a distance of approx. 30 cm. And further herbaceous, but not quite so close to the ground. Does the mandrake now begin to unfold its magic? Remarkable.

The essential oil of star anise smells similar to mint, but spicier, not so cool. The fog, which I had to think of first, disappears, green-warm it becomes also. Somehow the scent plays with changes in nature, with warming soil, wet meadows, with fluctuations that one can usually experience in the lake when swimming alternately through warm and cold zones on a warm summer day. The green of such a lake is a good match for this fragrance.

Witch magic is by far not, rather speech magic from the name, but to call the scent magic I lack the (scent) key. My perception fluctuates between a well-made herbal mix fragrance and an underestimated herby-green new classic. Either he's just like that or he's not quite there yet.
Letting your nose wander is increasingly good for the scent and the nose. So the feeling after about two hours and so it remains also about three more. It becomes a little more elegant, but the pleasure of the fragrance comes certainly from the proximity to the plant, which it keeps and transports well. That's extraordinary.
5.0 5.0 5.0 8.0/10
A Mandrake Laughing
Isn't it stressful if you visit a perfume shop together with about 10 of your friends? All want to show each other what they have just discovered, and countless test strips are being passed around. You smell great fragrances and some that make you frown. And everybody wants to talk about it instantly and asks for your opinion. A group of Parfumo users in a perfume shop must be a funny sight for outsiders!

It was the last one of those Parfumo meetings when I suddenly felt that it was simply too much. My use of perfume should not be a roller coaster ride from one extreme to the other. It was the perfect occasion to buy Mandragore.

Sampling new perfumes is always a journey into a scented world that is not (yet) one's own. A new perfume may be grand, but the more sophisticated or even extreme they are, the harder it is to delve into that new scenery and find a link to one's own scheme.

Among the many perfumes I smelled that day, Mandragore was the point of rest: it gave me no specifically new scent experience but it instantly made clear that it belonged into my olfactory world. I feel at home with Mandragore.

Yet, it is something special. The top and heart notes strongly remind me of the smell and taste of a fruity red tea: hibiscus and mallow blossoms, a daily guest on countless dinner tables, especially where children are present.

I don't know many perfumes that share this resemblance. Trussardi's Essenza del Tempo comes to my mind where hibiscus rinds where part of the ad presentation. While the Trussardi fragrance is one of the most recommendable of this mass marked brand, Annick Goutal's Mandragore has the quality one expects from a higher priced perfume. There are no rough edges, everything is smooth and soft.

Pink pepper and ginger may add just a little piquancy to the hibiscus and mallow top and heart notes – a beautiful accord. The fresh side of Mandragore, however, apparently comes from the same ingredient that is so characteristic to Prada's Infusion d'Homme. It has been used here cautiously, much lighter than in Prada's perfume, and it is mainly detectable in the base.

But does Mandragore have a base note at all? Annick Goutal's perfumes in general have been blamed for being weakish and too fleeting. One has to include Mandragore into that criticism, and apparently Annick Goutal launched the flanker Mandragore Pourpre as a sort of “Intense” version for those who want something more gripping. But it is not the longevity that is poor, it is the sillage. While the sillage is sufficient during the first two hours, the Mandragore base note (or the rest of it) is detectable only on skin for a quite long period of time. So, counting it in or not is a matter of opinion.

I never understood the naming of this fragrance. For me, Mandragore is a light and very accessible fragrance preferably for lovely summer and spring days. There is absolutely nothing in it that could be seen as a link to dark magic and witchcraft. Mandragore is not on that dark side that mandrake is – of which it is said that you can hear them cry when they are being cut!

Be that as it may, despite the eye-catching name, Mandragore is too discreet to make a big show among the other fragrances on the shelf. But it will surely catch the special interest of the more experienced users.
2.0/10
sporty
Didn't work well on me.I found it an ordinary fresh-sporty perfume.
Nothing special.I wish it was unique by the name and the beautiful purple bottle.I can't find the green notes which I adore neither the spicy.
Maybe Mandragore pourpre it's keep it's promises.
7.5 7.5 5.0 5.0/10
Zesty Salad Dressing?
Fresh and Spicy! I must admit that whilst this perfume may be well made and such, I personally found it quite linear. The pepper, ginger and bergamot give it the zingy opening, and the anise comes through to back them up. But that's about it. It stays like that throughout. A fresh, zesty, spicy scent like citrus (lime) rind and pepper, and I will admit that unless people buy or try this fragrance with a specific intention to have that fresh citrus, peppery/gingery feel and nothing else, they will be disappointed as it goes no further. If that's what you're looking for, you'll love it. Otherwise it's not worth the price.
2.5 5.0 7.0/10
A Subtle Spiced Citrus Cologne
I got off to a bad start with the house of Annick Goutal when I first decided to test their perfumes because I purchased samples online which may have been off. Slowly, however, with the help of some of my generous fragrant friends, including Miss K, who sent me a sample of MANDRAGORE, I have come around.

I really had no clear expectations about this fragrance before testing it. I have seen it for sale in many places, especially in the square made-for-men bottle format used by this house. The color of the liquid suggested to me that this would be a heavy oriental perfume, but aside from that, I had no prior impressions, having never heard anyone say much about this creation. I see below, however, that many fine noses have already weighed in on this fragrance here at parfumo.

MANDRAGORE opens with a bright citrus demeanor and a fairly hefty dose of spices, especially pepper. This is not, however, the bloblike expansive synthetic pepper of Marc Jacobs BANG, among other examples. The pepper here is more along the lines of Hermessence POIVRE SAMARCANDE.

Upon applying this fragrance, I thought briefly of Bond no 9 WEST BROADWAY, another spicy citrus. However, in a side-by-side comparison, I find that the two compositions are very different. MANDRAGORE lacks, above all, the Bond no 9 cedarish base common to most of the masculine fragrances of that house and which dominates WEST BROADWAY and makes it more masculine than this. MANDRAGORE is more citrusy, but has poor longevity aside from a very low-level residue of spiciness, especially star anise and pepper. I do not know what boxwood is or smells like, and this fragrance does not smell very herbal to me, despite the sage listed among the notes.

This is a pleasant and subtle fragrance. It would perhaps be too subtle for some, but precisely because it is so low key, MANDRAGORE seems to me a good choice for summertime. If I had a bottle, I'd use it as a cologne on hot days, in the precisely the manner in which I use Berdoues 1902 CARDAMOM, which offers a similar experience, albeit with a different spice.
A piquant citrus refresher
This is a simple yet winning fragrance. It opens with the distinctive citrus scent of bergamot, but with pepper.

Later, it shifts to a minty lemon, with the pepper remaining close to the skin, and the ginger and anise get a chance to come through.

I think this is an excellent summer fragrance. Yes, it is rather linear, with not a lot of depth, but it is a citrus aromatic, meant to be fresh and pleasant. The pepper, ginger and anise hold my interest throughout, and make Mandragore a wonderful summer refresher.

I'm on my second bottle, because on hot summer days, I spray this one with abandon.
5.0 6.0/10
Purple citrus and pepper
The first advice I can give in regards to this scent, you must try it on your skin first. When I smelt Mandragore from the bottle a look of horror, disgust and nausea must have crossed my face. Since I had only recently been quite ill with the flu, Mandragore instantly reminded me of a decongestant I took on a daily basis which was in the form of a lemon flavoured powder which when added to hot water, created the foulest smelling and tasting concoction on the planet.

I didn't think I would be touching a bottle of Mandragore ever again, until now. I was brave and applied a few small sprays to my wrist and waited.

I'm not a fan of the citrusy bergamot note, I never will be, however the pepper, mint and ginger notes balance the scent out nicely. After ten minutes the fragrance is quite pleasant and soft, certainly not nauseating like it was from the bottle.

I think to fall head over heels in love with this scent requires an acquired taste. It is certainly very different from my other Annick Goutal love, Passion.

I don't get a lot of woods in this fragrance, I think of it as more of a citrus aromatic rather than a woodsy perfume. It's unfortunate that this fragrance has poor lasting power, because it's perfumes like these that make people give up on Annick Goutal fragrances, which is a shame because she makes such lovely scents.

I have concluded that I do like Mandragore, but only in small doses. It's certainly not something that I can picture myself wearing every day. I might wait until the warmer months to try this again, because I am eager to see how well this is worn during the hot Summer days.

I probably wouldn't purchase this fragrance in a full bottle, however I'm content with my 15ml sample.
8.0/10
Njdeb
Elegant green aromatic with a kick
Madragore starts out like a cold blast of citrusy eau de cologne. Bergamot is prominent to my nose, and the mint does not detract from the overall citrusy smell, but rather serves to provide the effect of green coolness.

The citruses subside quite quickly, and the fragrance warms as the pepper and herbal notes come into play. Iris provides a soft powderiness that persists throughout the development of the perfume. The scent ultimately settles into a gentle green aromatic, with pepper and ginger providing a bit of a spicy kick.

While the cool initial blast suggested to me that this was strictly a warm weather perfume, that effect is fleeting, and the drydown is warm enough for year round use. I personally would have preferred that the citruses stayed around longer, but that is a minor criticism.

All in all, Madragore is a very lovely, restrained and elegant fragrance. I see it as a perfect office scent. I can't imagine this offending anyone, but it isn't a common scent that everyone wears either.

Projection is medium and longevity medium to good. Absolutely unisex
7.5 5.0 7.5 10.0/10
charming freshness
One of my favorites. Refreshing but complex, thanks to the star anise. I have a hard time picking out other individual notes because it is so harmoniously blended. I would have thought anise wasn't good on me from smelling the Lolita Lempickas, but it seems that this citrusy formulation is what I wanted.(042509)
Playful and unusual
I received a sample of Mandragore some time ago and after testing it a few times I can safely say that the more I wear it, the more I like it. The opening is of a very strong and bright bergamot, quickly joined by what are, to me, the two stars of this fragrance: ginger and star anise. The blending is really nicely done. There is a very good balance between these two notes, both in terms of strength and movement, sometimes mixing perfectly, sometimes resurfacing individually.

Mandragore is a light and, in a way, playful and unusual fragrance. Most people seem to report that it is quite fleeting but surprinsingly it manages to last fairly decently on me. Progressing toward the base, and after reading reviews, I was expecting it to become more green; perhaps also darker or mysterious (because that's the association I make with the word "mandragore") but this didn't happen. Of course as I never had the chance to smell mandrake before, it's hard to know what to expect. What I do get is a faint but pleasant tea note, and a simple woody accord which I imagine comes from the boxwood, with the ginger still discretely present.

All in all, Mandragore is not at all what I expected but a pleasant surprise nonetheless. It works for me and develops nicely on my skin. Nice to wear in Spring but I have the impression that it could be worn in most seasons. Clearly it's not going to be a match made in heaven for everybody but I think it's definitely worth trying. I'm certainly happy that I did...

by Allein