Myrrhe Ardente (2007) Eau de Parfum

Myrrhe Ardente (Eau de Parfum) by Goutal / Annick Goutal

Myrrhe Ardente (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Goutal / Annick Goutal for women and men and was released in 2007. The scent is resinous-woody. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesMyrrh
Heart Notes Heart NotesBeeswax, Gaiac wood
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Myrrh, Tonka bean

Submitted by Seglein, last update on 23.03.2019

5.0 5.0 5.0 8.0/10

Sweet Myrrh...
A balmy, sweet type of Myrrh perfume which I can detect Amber and Benzoin as the main notes. Tonka Bean and Guaiac Wood add to the composition, along with a slight hint of Vetiver. The note which really makes this enjoyable, and which brings the "sweetness" to this fragrance, is the Beeswax. It gives a syrupy, honey like quality and I like it very much.

This is a delightful fragrance! Unisex, but would smell gorgeous on a woman in my opinion.

Omni
Taught to the tune of a hickory stick
I spent most of my childhood wondering what root beer or sarsparilla would taste like. Without it being a reference base I can appreciate the beauty of Myrrhe Ardente for what it is. Hickory stick for one. English toffee is another. Fifty five years ago My Father eagerly awaited his Xmas parcels from London. We, the kids, got British smarties (essentially M&Ms) and he got a burnt toffee from post war Britian. Closer to home there's Kauri gum, or beach amber which has this delicate resin smell. I collect beach amber on my walks and Myrrhe Ardente is like wearing a whiff of it. The gum is, after all, the resin from giant trees burnt down 2,500 years ago, Agathis Australis.

It's gorgeous, unisex, wondrous and addictive, as someone else pointed out.

Discontinued, so I will probably buy a small back up

Here's a school song my Mother used to sing

School days,
school days, dear old golden rules days
Reading, and writing and arithmetic,
Taught to the tune of a Hickory stick
You were my queen in calico, I was your barefoot bashful beau
You wrote on my slate, I love you Joe,
When we were a couple of kids
8.0/10

Smoky myrrh
I'm so sad that Myrrhe Ardente is discontinued. This one is my favorite Annick Goutal perfume and it's my favorite smoky perfume. I own the extrait as well as the edp and although I love both, my favorite is the extrait. It's smoky, sweet, balmy and soft. I could wear this exclusively for a whole week without being bored.
7.5 5.0 7.5 7.5/10

Help! Fire!
Winter is here at last, and Annick Goutal's Myrrhe Ardente can be regarded as a winter fragrance - but with a special twist. In the colder season, people develop a longing for cosiness, for smoky fireplaces and warming ambry or oriental notes. However, Myrrhe Ardente lacks some of the typical ingredients of fragrant cosiness such as ambergris or Christmas gingerbread spiciness.

This strange perfume is very straightforward with not much development. It is all about one single contrast: oriental broadness and volume as represented by the myrrh and some vanillic tonka bean is one side. The other side is smoky woodiness as it may come along with the Guaiac wood. A resinous, gum-like note, presumably benzoin (?), sticks them together. And that's about it – Myrrhe Ardente is simple but good!

The overall character is considerably dry and smoky which makes this fragrance something particular different to the usual ambry, spicy and oriental fireplace fragrances. Myrrhe Ardente is rather red-hot than warm, and yes, I do get pictures of ardent myrrh or bright glowing wooden logs. You can almost hear the crackling and sizzling from the fireplace. There is only little development: Myrrhe Ardente might become slightly dryer and dustier as the fire burns down. Insofar, Myrrhe Ardente refers directly to glow and blaze, and not in a way as to use these imaginations to underline the idea of cosiness. I would say, the fire in it is a bit too dangerous to perfectly fit into such a concept. With its red-hot approach it could almost put you into a state of alert as real fire and smoke would do – if not the calming notes of myrrh and tonka soothed this impression. Yet, Myrrhe Ardente is disturbing enough to be taken seriously – it is nothing that can be worn easily and without consideration.

And Myrrhe Ardente is a strange fragrance: although it is without any too exotic notes, the scent impression is anything but common or banal. There is more to it than just a combination of notes, the perfumer obviously achieved one of those magic moments of alchemy where everything is transferred into something new and unique.

Myrrhe Ardente comes in Annick Goutal's square bottle and must be considered unisex. I think it can be a special treat for ladies who are looking for an unsweet fragrance. It should fit well to brown and beige colour tones and to suede leather outfits.
7.5 10.0 8.0/10

Smoky-sweet temple aromas
What people find difficult to like, I usually enjoy, and vice-versa. Myrrhe Ardente, and the whole Les Orientalistes series in general, are extremely well-constructed, beautiful fragrances.

I love rich, bold, resinous and smokey scents, so this fragrance is 'right up my alley'. Exotic is indeed what this fragrance is.

If you love fragrances like Oud 27 by Le Labo, Chanel Coromandel, Tauer's perfumes and anything woodsy and masculine, Myrrhe Ardente could possibly suit you.

Opening rather strongly, Myrrhe Ardente is a combination of dark woods, spicy incense and syrupy honey. I also get the reference being made in a few reviews to that slight booziness, a rum-like note that appears briefly in the heart.

Due to this fragrance's subtle sweetness, I find myself desiring this fragrance quite often. It would make a perfect scent for a couple to share, depending upon the fact that his taste is similar to your own.

While this fragrance is rough and foreign, it is incredibly sexy and alluring at the same time. Once the drydown has developed, I am often left in a peaceful state, shrouded in a smokey and sweet aroma, a little chocolatey and vanillary in certain moments.

The price is a little disheartening, seeming that it is nearly twice the price of other Annick Goutal fragrances. However, for this particular beauty I would shell out every, single penny to own even a drop of its exquisite juice.
7.0/10

Burning Myrrh
AG Myrrhe Ardente (Burning Myrrh) is a sweet, smoky fragrance that is easy to wear and stays close to the skin. It wears linear on me and for about 5 hours. Myrrhe Ardente is unique, enjoyable & unisex. More smoky than myrrh, imo - that aspect reminds me of that campfire fragrance from Tauer (Lonestar?), although the AG is harsh compared to the Tauer.

My EdP is marked 88% alcohol by volume, which really puts it in the EdT territory imo. Like all AG's that I've owned or tried, I don't think the price & longevity justify a full bottle purchase.

I picked up Myrrhe Ardente (and the rest of the Les Orientales series) in 15ml bottles for about $10 each, plus shipping, on ebay. At that price, I say go ahead if this strikes your fancy. However, I wouldn't recommend a FB blind-buy without sampling.

MRoth 4 years ago
One of my favourite "sick day" scents: a waxy, flat myrrh, linear and unchallenging. I've never been so happy to be bored.+1
2.5