Sables by Goutal / Annick Goutal

Sables is a popular perfume by Goutal / Annick Goutal for men and was released in 1985. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by AmorePacific / 아모레퍼시픽은.

Annick Goutal

Immortelle, Cinnamon, Amber, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by Chemist, last update on 26.02.2019

Together with her husband, the cellist Alain Meunier, Annick Goutal should have spent several holidays on Corsica. It's said that she used her memories of them when she created "Sables".
The central theme of the perfume is supposed to be the shrub landscape. The maquis (or Corsican maquis) is a scrubland biome which is found in the Mediterranean region, considered typical of Corsica. It was born of over-used forests, which were broken by deforestation, logging and grazing as an ecosystem, creating the three to five meter high scrubland. The Macchia is often very rich in herbs and has its own beauty as a landscape, although one can still observe the traces of degradation significantly.

5.0 7.0 9.0 8.0/10
Monsieur Immortelle
Sables doesn't evolve much on me. I get a smoky and warm mixture of immortelle, amber, cinnamon and sandalwood. Though in the end I decided that Sables is not what I would personally wear, I'm very impressed throughout the wearing. It has a sweet aspect but at the same time it's very masculine to my nose. I don't know why but the image evoked by Sables in my head is muscles and a mature man, lol. The longevity is around 10 hours and the sillage is good, one spray and I got a whiff or another frequently. Definitely a wonderful fragrance to at least give a try.
7.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10
Effi Briest, Immortelle and the Failure of a Marriage
"... Thick tufts of beach oats stood everywhere to the side, but around them immortelle and a few blood-red carnations. Innstetten bent down and stuck a carnation in his buttonhole. "The Immortelle after!" ..."

If I hear Immortellen, I immediately think of this place from Theodor Fontane's social novel Effi Briest.
The young Effi has to marry (instead of her mother Luise) her childhood love Geert von Innstetten and is taken to the Pomeranian wasteland. There she lives in an inhospitable haunted house with her unloved husband, residents who are always strangers to her, and a "preserved young crocodile" hanging from the ceiling in the hallway. (I still couldn't find out if "the Chinese" is really haunted.)
What has to happen happens: she falls in love with the "first best" that comes her way: the handsome and unlike her husband not at all boring Major of Crampas.
After the usual "trials and tribulations" it finally comes to a duel. Crampas is shot by Innstetten, the marriage is divorced and Effi, young and stupid as she still is, has to return to her parental home "in disgrace".
There she more or less dawns towards her end and leaves her mother in quite a "soul's torment".
For quiet hours, Fontane's novel is a pretty pleasant entertainment.

The immortelle, also called straw flowers, which grow between the beach oats, really have a curry-like scent.
I have a very large, silver-leaved plant on the balcony: during the flowering season with numerous yellow cone cushions it cannot deny the name "curry flower".
Years ago I only brought a finger-length head shoot from our Botanical Garden; who would have thought of such an expansive plant back then? If it were possible, I would say: the entire Immortelle smells slightly dusty - the illusion of a sparsely overgrown stretch of beach in front of the grey monotonous sea cannot be dismissed.

Annick Goutal's "Sables" starts for me with this dry fragrance that contains a slight hint of curry. Here the Immortelle is caught very well.
This light felt dustiness is pleasantly invigorated by the warm cinnamon scent; but it takes the warmth and pulsating power of vanilla to bring a little "fire" into this scent work of art.
Only now does "Sables" leave the native macchia mentioned above and become more cultivated, a little more elegant: the fragrance begins to become "city-fine".
The sandalwood gift is very important here to bring the first golden ray into this fragrance mixture: it begins to breathe and live in a quiet, quiet way.
So this pretty fancy creation is finally ready to get the finishing touches by Amber.

"Sables" reminds me of a well-cut men's suit in light or dark grey, which has to be enlivened by an interestingly patterned tie in order not to look too serious.
For me this is a fragrance that needs time and a certain amount of trust to get to know it, maybe even to conquer it.
A "love at first sight/"spray" seems a bit unlikely to me.
The durability for a Annick Goutal fragrance is tremendously long; after hours "Sables" is still present; but then the Immortelle dominates again - not unpleasant, but a little bit needs getting used to.

"Sables" seems to be a classic for the "serious" gentleman; how far he is suitable for the "active life" or even for women I cannot judge.
Here I hold it with the old Briest and his final movement at Fontane: "... it is too wide a field."

Thank you Meggi for leaving the bottling to us; this test was definitely worth it!

---<¶
A supplement for all film friends:
In 1939 Gustaf Gründgens filmed this subject with his wife Marianne Hoppe in the leading role; the movie was called "Der Schritt vom Wege".
Mrs. Hoppe had a little dog at the time of this marriage who listened to the name "Effi Briest".
Known as a constant barker, Gustaf called him "Kläffi Biest"!
Oriental experiment
Take a red herbal liqueur of cherry, dried apricot and salted plum.
Mix with burnt sugar and spice.
Pour onto hot dry sand.

Observe that while the liqueur drains away, the massive blocks of Helichysum and peppery amber & sandal do not change much.

Find Sables below Eau du Sud, Voyageur and Fleurs de Sel on the Perfume Periodic Table, in the column marked Salt.
Anoplopoma fimbria?
Sables follows a classical drydown arc: top, heart, basenotes. The real trick though is that is that it takes you from one genre to another over this progression.

Starting with immortelle dissolved in amber, Sables gives you either a strictly sweet maple syrup candy, or a sweet and savory curry with fenugreek and raisins. It’s up to your nose. I get the latter. Either way I find it principally gourmand.

Where Sables winds up, though is in the sandlewood/amber range. While the spice-like immortelle fades in the heartnotes, by drydown, there is a light, peppery sharpness that gives the amber drydown a mineral/dry inflections not miles from that of Ambre Sultan’s scent of hot stone. Sables is the only fragrance I can think of off the top of my head that isn’t categorized so much as a hybrid (eg. floriental, leather chypre…) but as a fragrance that starts in one genre (gourmand) and ends firmly in another (amber/oriental.)

A gorgeously constructed fragrance, appropriate across the multiple (and I believe there really are many) genders, but would be a smart statement of devil-may-care appreciation of prettiness on an assured straight man.
7.5 7.5 8.0/10
Syrupy and distinctive
It's no secret that I adore Annick Goutal, however I must admit, despite my eagerness, I wondered whether or not her male fragrances would captivate me in the same way.

Fortunately, Sables is outstanding, incredibly desirable on a man and something I wouldn't mind wearing myself.

It's a little sharp at first. Sables begins with a strong burst of pepper, woods and smoke. Although masculine, I thought it was a little too much, somewhere along the lines of the ruggedly masculine yet rich and bold Yatagan by Caron.

Thankfully Sables settles into a divine, sensual blend of woods, spice, caramel and burnt golden syrup. It's almost a gourmand for men with its distinctive deliciousness.

I love how the burnt sugar accord doesn't make this fragrance feminine or too sweet. It's perfectly balanced and very sexy, something that I would never tire of smelling.

The longevity and sillage are rather impressive, with this fragrance clinging to the skin for almost a whole 12 hours or more. I highly recommend.

MRoth 164 days ago
Caramelised woods, amber and giant immortelle. Unisex. Add leather and booze and you get Histoires de Parfums' slightly more masculine 1740.+1
5.0
5.0
PBullFriend 3 years ago
Sables yields only immortelle to me. It feels like a medical experiment - how much of this odd note can one stand? Result: Not much at all.+2
4.0

by IrisNobile
In freier Wildbahn, mit echter Immortelle.
by Rivegauche
* dieser Duft ist der verflüssigte Herbst ... rotbraunes Leuchten am wärmenden Kastanienfeuer *
by Mokka