Un Matin d'Orage (2009) Eau de Toilette

Un Matin d'Orage (Eau de Toilette) by Goutal / Annick Goutal

Un Matin d'Orage (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Goutal / Annick Goutal for women and was released in 2009. The scent is floral-fresh. It is being marketed by AmorePacific / 아모레퍼시픽은.

Isabelle Doyen

Gardenia, Sicilian lemon, Shiso leaf, Ginger, Magnolia, Jasmine sambac

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 22.02.2019

7.0 4.0 6.0 7.5/10

Dewy Gardenia
Un Matin d'Orage opens like a blooming gardenia under the rain. It's creamy and intense, as if it's enhanced by the rain. Some characteristics of jasmine and magnonlia can be detected though they never take the leading role of gardenia.

This strong gardenia phase lasts around 2 hours then gradually mellows. It seems to be linear. However, it takes a twist after about 5 hours as it becomes soapy and green. There is also some ginger-like spiciness that tickles the nose. This sort of humid spicy feeling matches the name perfectly.

The sillage is moderate especially during the opening. The longevity is around 7 hours. Usually I'm not very fan of Annick Goutal's floral offerings. But Un Matin d'Orage turns out quite pleasant to my nose. Moreover, it has some green aspects that I also find in some of their aromatic offerings and I'm quite fond of. A lovely green floral fragrance perfect for spring and summer!

Boring, Not Me
It's smooth, I'll give it that, but its a smooth bald tyre, worn out and down, no tread, no traction. I can't find the enthusiasm for this AG even though I thoroughly respect the intention. I was no fan of the original Chloe and this reminds me of it for some reason. Can't buy in to the story, this is not an Carolinas answer to Apres L'Ondee. But only boring people get bored so I'll leave it there.

mushroom floral
Gardenia, like lily-of-the-valley, needs to be built from the ground up in perfumery. As fragrant as the flower is, it doesn’t yield a gardenia essential oil. Building a flower that combines elements of green, creamy, and umami is hard enough. Then to make it dewy should be a nightmare. Maybe it was for Isabel Doyen. But we don't see the sweat, just the smooth end product

Un Matin d’Orage does smell a bit like a gardenia, just enough to make the allusion. This isn't a gardenia soliflor by any means. The success is not just in the likeness to the scent but in the odd balance of forcefulness and frailty the gardenia flower suggests.

Using the ghost-gardenia as a launching pad, the image of a forest floor at dawn actually comes true. Because the gardenia's scent suggests both soil and plant it is the ideal basis for this olfactory image. The watery notes have an ambient feel: misty, dewy, even muddy. Very nice work.

I found an unlikely kindred spirit to Matin d'Orage in PG's Psychotrope. Matin's sweet-forest has a water-color version of Parfumerie Generale Psychotrope’s electric Jolly Rancher & leather accord. Both perfumes leave me with a very clear olfactory memory. I can call both of them to mind very easily.

from scent hurdle.com
7.5 10.0 10.0 7.0/10

Gargantuan Woody Gardenia
Annick Goutal UN MATIN D'ORAGE is, to my nose, essentially a gargantuan gardenia (GG) perfume with a few twists and turns thrown in for good measure, but the gardenia note is rather strong, so be prepared. I see that gardenia is not listed as a note, but are not gardenia notes always constructed?

I believe that champaca and magnolia are substituting for what is often tuberose, but jasmine, another key note in big white florals, is present here as well. The spiciness imparted by the champaca is a nice touch, and there definitely are some notable green and woody elements moderating the gardenia as well, especially moving toward and in the drydown.

From the name, I think that I may have been expecting something along the lines of something in the Hermes UN JARDIN... series, but UN MATIN is a very, very feminine fragrance, as I should have been able to guess by now from my earlier AG experiences...

I like this slightly oriental, slightly green and woody, big gardenia composition and recommend it for gardenia lovers as an alternative to MARC JACOBS or KAI. UN MATIN D'ORAGE is spicier and more complex than both, with big sillage and excellent longevity on my skin.
5.0 5.0 6.0/10

Dewy gardenia
Un Matin d'Orage is one of those really feminine and dewy white floral scents. It reminds me a little of Kai, however this fragrance is much lighter and more green.

This fragrance is most likely going to appeal to those that enjoyed Songes and Le Jasmin. The dominant gardenia note, while crisp in the opening, especially when alongside the citrus, becomes creamier and buttery towards the heart.

The gardenia and the other floral accords in this composition, smell very naturalistic. One can imagine an exact replicate of this scent in a luscious, Spring garden.

Un Matin d'Orage can sometimes be a little too one-dimensional, especially since it doesn't develop too well. The lasting power is also very fleeting which is another slight disappointment.

In the drydown, it becomes increasingly soapy. Not to an extent that it's unlikable, however it does resemble a somewhat generic bar of sweet gardenia soap.

While I do honestly like this fragrance, I would have aimed to improve it by making it longer lasting and perhaps more green.

by IrmaGobb