Antonia's Flowers (1985)

Antonia's Flowers by Antonia's Flowers

Antonia's Flowers is a perfume by Antonia's Flowers for women and was released in 1985. The scent is fresh-floral. It is still in production.

Bernard Chant

Top Notes Top NotesFreesia, Linalool
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Lily, Magnolia
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood

Submitted by Ripieno, last update on 09.06.2019

This is supposed to be the first fragrance where the "Headspace Technology" - a method to capture the scent surrounding objects - was used for the first time.

7.5 5.0 5.0/10

Either a Love/Hate
I've given myself almost the whole day in order to process this fragrance. Antonia's Flowers EDT is a hard one to decipher, one that can smell horrid one minute and intriguing the next.

I can certainly see where some reviewers are coming from with the stale sweat and fecal references. This is a damp, green and natural interpretation of lily, with a bit of garden soil chucked into the mix. It's perhaps not as feminine and friendly as you may expect.

If I were to take into consideration its garden-like freshness and the way it has been composed, I find ways and means to like it. However, I can't seem to get past the stale sweat scent. I'm always very conscious of smelling good, so it makes no sense for me to embrace my natural body odour with a spritz of Antonia's Flowers.

It may all just come down to skin chemistry, and perhaps I'll have to face up to the facts that this fragrance and I were never meant to be. I am half-pointing at the fruity accords in the opening and heart as the culprits.

By the drydown, I am convinced that this is my chemistry playing tricks. Perhaps the florals are much prettier on others. So with that in mind, take this review as a warning, don't blind buy.

I am now very curious as to how the EDP and extrait differs. Unfortunately this pretty sounding fragrance didn't live up to my expectations. So I say, next!
7.5 7.5 6.0/10

Dried Gray Lilies
I am truly baffled by the range of reviews on the Antonia's Flowers eponymous perfume. I am wearing the eau de toilette, and it seems obviously to be a classic dried floral composition featuring above all lily. There is definitely a slightly dirty quality here which I have smelled in many lily perfumes.

Others, however, have said that this is a freesia-centric or even a lavender-violet perfume! Although I do believe that this is a mixed floral creation, I smell very little freesia and no lavender or violet whatsoever. What can this mean?

Either Antonia's Flowers has batch problems, or else this mixed floral composition plays out differently on the skin of different wearers. Or perhaps the notes are variably salient to noses in a rather radical way for some reason.

As I also have samples of the eau de parfum and the extrait, I'll review those separately and see whether I can solve this conundrum! For now, I'll say about this eau de toilette that it smells nice but somewhat standard as far as floral perfumes go. On the dry side with a grayish tinge, imparted, I believe, by the lily!

Trucklady 102 days ago
Fog horn freesia that blares into the mist to announce one's arrival. Divine stuff...while it lasts.
5.0