Aramis (1964) Eau de Toilette

Aramis (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis

Aramis (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Aramis for men and was released in 1964. The scent is spicy-leathery. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Bernard Chant

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Artemisia, Bergamot, Gardenia, Clover, Thyme
Heart Notes Heart NotesClove, Orris root, Jasmine, Cardamom, Clary sage, Myrtle
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Tree moss, Coconut, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 24.08.2019

3.0 7.0 8.0 5.0/10

Franzuschek
You must know, you must not miss, BUT
Aramis is indeed a true milestone! A classic and the fuel of the time travel capsule into the 70s and 80s. The scent must have been a mega seller at the time. Only the grandpas and uncles who wore it at the time were already retired in 1980 or shortly before. Half of my father's friends and the entire tarot game wore this fragrance. For me, it's more a smell than a fragrance. Then as a 10 year old and today as a 45 year old. Concise the memory of a friend of the family. Master tailor, 70, check pattern tie and always accompanied by his deified king poodle and his wife, who is diametrically opposed in the sympathetic ranking. After the visit of this team of three we had to ventilate the apartment at least twice as long as their stay. When I was a kid, I used to put the stink on the king poodle. Today I know that the poodle was only partly to blame. The rest went to the master tailor and his Aramis.
"Why is the Musketeer in your collection?"
For many reasons!
Sometimes there are days when I don't want to have sex. Aramis regulates that gloriously! My wife immediately gets headaches and my limb is not functional (king poodle syndrome).
It's very classic when Millenials on the bus free you a seat.
When shopping for a month I am not pressed in the supermarket when sizing the goods on the conveyor belt.
Government appointments run faster.
And the really valuable reason, for me is that:
If my other scents get dull, I'll put on Aramis. After one day of Aramis I find every scent of my collection great!
And only when you know Aramis does the perfume development of the 80's reveal itself to you!
10.0 9.0 9.0 8.5/10

Chevalier
Man is only really dead when no one thinks of him anymore. Bertolt Brecht
I never thought I'd recognize a scent like this Aramis. When I was preschool, I smelled this scent in a lot of people. At my grandfather's and probably at one of my uncles too. Since this perfumer Mr. Chant had also created the Cabochard, my mother, who had died a long time ago, and my grandmothers, who were all carriers of these fragrances, came to my mind. I was aware of the old spice, this really top fragrance from Aramis was not at all. When I had noticed the first steps of fragrances completely carefree and free of any obligations, this Aramis was exactly such a topic, rather not more than hype, but there was probably not really much more in the seventies. It may have been, but it may not have been.
Anyway, this scent has caused me an incredible memory of past times and people, which I didn't think was possible.

I used to find this kind of scent, these predecessors of the Armanis and Azzaros in the eighties, very simple and as I will never actually smell, because for me it was always too far away and too far from pleasant. Life as a toddler was of course completely carefree and one got many impressions and tastes which one believes to have forgotten.
Until you buy the fragrance after long consideration and want to know how to smell a primordial chypre. At the latest then one notices that one has already known this smell........
Then you ask yourself whether you want to wear such a fragrance.
There are quite other fragrances that are already considered classics from their own youth such as Cool Water, Aramis life, Havana, Fahrenheit, Eternitiy for men and or Joop homme.
Then you realize that you can and even have to wear such a fragrance, it sets you apart from the many cotton candy products that are called fragrances today.

This Aramis has nothing but nothing to do with a modern or contemporary fragrance, here the Azzaro looks like an ancient but still good Azzaro like a newcomer.
Nevertheless, this Aramis is fascinating and extremely pleasant.
In summer it is a pleasure to wear such a spice centrifuge with the typical forest felling.
He is miles away from the Habit Rouge, which also appeared at this time, because he cannot be classified as an Oriental.

It reminds me a bit of 4711, but without this extra citrus wrap which you also know from the cleaning cloths at Burger-King. He's a lot of mossy ground. The development initially shows the bergamot mixed with the spicy background. Not bad, not contemporary, not special but very, very good! The only contemporary thing about this fragrance is the bottle, which still looks absolutely sublime today and stands out pleasantly in style from today's phallus bottles or other design experiments like a radio.

It is wonderful, a little sad and above all very sentimental to be able to revive one's own memories of long lost people through such fragrances.

He is different, louder, more self-confident and disturbs the service of the sugar, caramel and lipstick disciples, who would never dare to wear such a dominant and self-confident product.
You might have to take a stand or express your own opinion, that's never the case with the many sweeties, here you can wear whatever you want, without realizing, as with this one, what fragrance it is. Unless you are well trained and recognize the Aventus opposite the club de nuit or the laventure. Perhaps also the diorama homme to the Prada l intense or the Givenchy gentleman.
This comparison is not meant to be a rift, but shows how elitist and equal the fragrant environment of today differs from earlier times.
Somehow we become more and more similar and synchronized in the completely wrong and naïve assumption how unique, different and sovereign each individual has become.

This uniqueness of the past can no longer be felt in the world of fragrances.
Also the strength of this Aramis cannot be compared with the current products, here four splashes are enough for the whole day.
My mother is beautiful, my father but also the first generations are never really dead for me in this way, because I think about them again and again and carry this long gone fragrance epoch proudly on me.
9.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

American Juchten
With the "Aus vielen Framen von Harry Lehmann" (From Many Fragrances by Harry Lehmann), which is discussed in detail on these pages, the lover of Harry Lehmann sets off on the search for halfway suitable substitutes. Especially Lehmann's ore classic "Russian Juchten" is now such a chypre hammer with such a strong character that it would be difficult to find even a halfway comparable broadside in the assortment of other manufacturers. Today I (re)discovered a candidate who at least 80% follows this path by chance while sniffing again at the local Galeria-Kaufhof: Aramis Classic!

Strange, in earlier tests I didn't notice the similarity at all, but today - probably unconsciously sensitized to it by the above mentioned restructuring wave at Lehmann - it seemed astonishing to me. The directly connected, domestic AB comparison shows clear differences, but the impression of close relationship remains - which may be due to the fact that this fragrance genre is nowadays only served by a few houses.

Compared to the (probably much older!) "Russian Juchten" Aramis is much less balsamic and soft in head and heart. On the other hand, it appears a little more raw and edgier and is more strongly based on identifiable individual spices such as sage. I feel the resemblance of the two at this point as almost ninety percent. Backwards out (and this "end" is a very, very long one for both!) the differences increase: Aramis clearly points out that he stands on a sandalwood soap base, while "Russian Juchten" becomes more and more creamy, fine and tobaccolike linearly. Only a similarity of about sixty per cent can be observed here. In addition, Aramis does not quite come close to the Berlin space fill monster in terms of Sillage and durability.

Overall, however, I am reassured to have found an at least halfway comparable (and affordable!) alternative - I don't often feel the brutal oakmoss jieper, but when he comes, something must be at hand.
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Aramis - Oh Aramis...

I sought this to experience a new male fragrance to enjoy, a leathery one after I had Versace l'homme. Both have a very prominent leathery note. Aramis is a very palpable leather scent with herbal freshness and it is the aldehydes that do this. But now, I have considered this to be a leather, floral scent too.

When I smell Aramis the first thing that comes to mind is the scent of a nude man, a modest man, he is European, he is English, French, Hungarian, Romanian, or Italian, he is nude and carefree, he is a lover and a confident gentleman.

When I smell it, I think of a man's den, it is dark, he has black walls painted, he has leather furniture, a leather chair, a bouquet of flowers adorn it, flowers that would be acceptable in a man's room, gardenias, thyme, sage and clover, they add sweetness to the scent, he has french doors opening to his back garden, you can smell the fresh air, many herbs, and woods, the fresh green outdoors. He keeps his house clean, but not too much, many things still have his personal scent, his sweat lingers in pillow shams and couch, he has myrrh incense he uses occasionally which lingers days after. He has a cat who loves to climb everywhere... his scent also lingers.
It is definitely masculine, clean but not overly clean, flowery, sweet, there is a chocolate like a scent when the leather mixes with the vetiver which can be chocolatey too, the flowers are there, there fresh air and the musk, yes the musk and castor, and also cumin apparently. I can definitely attest to quality and grandeur about Aramis, it is a dignified man's scent, it glorifies him, just as he is, and adorns him. I love the leather note, the resin, the musk, the flowers..it is gentle enough for a woman to enjoy for herself asa personal pleasure.

7.0 7.0 7.0 9.0/10

The third musketeer's scent
Classic, aromatic,rich, classy, timeless: this is Aramis, the historical scent which has the name of the third musketeer of the famous Dumas' novel . A milestone .
The aromatic opening is dominated by an unusual and almost "ladylike" aldehidic note, giving something "vintage" to this perfume.
Then, the flowery-spicy heart accord develops its character with avery classy result . Finally, at the base, a tripudium of warm notes of moss, amber, musk, patchouli and a vibrant and green touch of vetyver.
A perfectly balanced symphony for the gentleman of all times. The longevity and the sillage are good and the simple and almost "old style " bottle always keeps its charm. A great evergreen scent to own and to give .
8.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

Stinki
i like him, but don't like to wear him,
everybody knows that. The exotic coconut note, especially in summer evenings, is extra class.
If there wasn't something every time that almost corrodes my lungs (proper nutmeg + aldehyde ?) and is very exhausting in the long run. Definitely a matter of taste - but still a really good fragrance
6.0 9.0 10.0 8.5/10

DN1982
He used to be all over his nose
When this fragrance came onto the market, there was still no trace of me - far and wide. Correctly consciously I took this fragrance in the eighties was very common. He must have been one of the best-selling EdT back then, at least that's my impression.

Its prelude is green, bitter, citric and spicy. Thyme plays a big role in the whole and does not get lost down to the base. That was man - at that time: well-groomed and always present; a self-runner par excellence. The spicy notes remain in the further course or supplemented by cardamom, very present also the sage. A little floral resonates through the jasmine. Okay, a little understatement - well balanced. The bitter spice also remains below, now supplemented by amber, tree moss, musk, patchouli, sandalwood and vetiver, which beautifully underline the whole. I don't really notice the coconut. Also the leather goes down, if not immediately, but it is like a scaffold without being a scaffold; well dosed installed so to speak.

It is not so difficult to describe this fragrance in its ingredients. Bergamot, thyme, sage and jasmine dominate. Everything else grinds one facet after the other.

Aramis is a fragrance that, probably because of its age, evokes associations. When I smell Aramis, I see the well-groomed gentleman in the suit, who is in a responsible professional position. I don't see a boss, I see an executive, a banker. In any case, a man who is in personal contact with his customers; the most appropriate would probably be the insurance agent. By that I don't mean the commission-horny guys who appear frequently today, with 21 and a milk face in their sniffy suit, who look a bit unbelievable, if not even ridiculous. By this I mean the type of insurance businessman as he was more frequently encountered in the eighties than today: middle-aged, often still a representative of the experience generation of the Second World War. So someone who has experienced the lack himself and who has developed a feeling for what people really need and what they benefit from in the long run and not what is easiest to talk people into. One whom one opened the door gladly and with firm handshake into the good parlour asked and nobody, whom one with a "I am just deceased, have straight no time sign" at the front door from the body to hold wanted. One who sat on the couch with a thick bundle of papers in his suitcase, but could explain AGB´s and the special features of its products in three sentences. One who used a pen on paper to calculate everything exactly for his customers, where today the laptop is only opened without loving care. One who did not put his customers under pressure because he could be sure that the signature on the contract was a mere formality at the latest after "sleeping over it once". One the customers thought Mr. XY always smells so good. It's only logical that Mr. XY was self-employed, had his own small office in his own house on the outskirts of the city and drove upper middle class from Sindelfingen, Munich or sometimes from Rüsselsheim - of course with upscale comfortable equipment and six-cylinder engines. Also logical that the children of his customers a few years later also became his satisfied customers.

Aramis is the golden mean of its category. He is balanced, not too much exaggerated in detail as for example younger representatives a la Azzaro pour homme or Quorum. Also a little animalistic, without becoming too intrusive, but not as wishy-washy as Cardins Pour Monsieur. He's making a clear statement. It's oldschool without being old school, it's shaving cream without being shaving cream. He is always present without becoming loud and despite his presence he radiates a certain calmness. This must first be imitated by someone - even in the version available today and as certain as the Amen in the Church reformulated.
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

11Mic22hael
THE best men's fragrance ever designed. Period.
The trick to wearing Aramis is to not overspray. Three sprays maximum, in different spots. And never spray the same spot twice. One spray on your shirt. Do not put your nose to skin until after it has dried down. This is simply the most awesome scent for men ever created, if you know how to wear it. Aramis is so awesome and powerful, it commands the respect of everyone around you. Wear it proudly and without fear. This glorious scent gives you the advantage in any situation that may arise in life. Aramis is POWER and GLORY.

Mandatory Classic
Probably one of my all time personal favorites. I always fall for classic, old-school scents but I had no memory of this perfume, before I got myself a bottle. As soon as I sprayed it on, I was reminded of many different 'moments' from my childhood where I distinctly could place this smell. Some old uncle, my dad's friend..someone or the other has worn this in the past and, most probably, still does. It's 'the' classic scent.

I really can't add much to the previous reviews. It's been around since 1964! A mind-boggling concoction of a bright floral accord with aldehydes, dark and rich leather and a generous dose of moss. With one of the most beautiful sandalwood-patchouli-amber drydowns, ever! Lasts more than a day and projects like a monster. I use the Concentree version and it lasts for 2 days on my clothes.

I usually don't believe that perfumes have a gender, but some do tilt one way or another strongly. This is definitely and brashly masculine. And at the price it sells for, it's a steal! If this was released today by one of the 'niche' houses, it would cost a fortune.

Absolutely must try classic.

10/10

Bel Ami on steroids
Aramis Classic is a fantastic, solid, powerful and – as the name goes – more than classic leather chypre, so austere and straightforward it smells almost like a canon of prototypical masculinity in perfumery. Dark and bold, warm and with just a thin feel of “macho”, basically centered around leather, herbs, aldehydes, classic “manly” flowers (jasmine, lavender) and a base accord of oak moss and woods – all of this at least in the vintage EDC version I own, which is the only version I’ve worn so far of this fragrance. I got it for $12 and it has a fantastic depth rich in “aged” density (and a nuclear sillage). Great flowers, great leather, impressive oak moss. Everlasting drydown. A timeless, no-frills, dark masculine manifesto. The cheesy American cousin of Hermès Bel Ami. Conventional, but not outdated and not boring at all – simply a bold, comforting classic. As I said I do not know the actual version, I’m sure it’s great too, but personally, generally if a vintage version of a scent exists, then I’d go for that “a priori”. Anyway, beautiful!

8/10
5.0 10.0 10.0 5.0/10

Drseid
Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde...
Aramis opens on skin with a very nicely done grassy green artemisia mixing with subtle aldehydic touches and aromatic bergamot before transitioning after a couple minutes to the key heart notes of sandalwood, musky patchouli and vetiver which darken the mood considerably. Strong base notes of leather and oakmoss meld early-on with the musky patchouli to form an extremely potent mossy/musky/leathery accord that is rather cloying. Projection and longevity are both excellent.

Aramis is an interesting powerhouse scent. The grassy-green artemisia couples with the bergamot and skillfully subdued aldehydes quite well, creating a very fine open that is easily top-notch... Then the heart and base notes somewhat spoil the party as the aromatic leathery/mossy/musky combination is so strong and cloying that it is very hard to wear. I really want to give Aramis a positive rating for its early appeal, but in the end I find myself really disliking it due to its cloying nature later-on and as such it nets a neutral rating and a very average 2.5 stars out of 5 rating. This one wrote the book on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde! What a real shame as it shows such promise early-on.

jtd
Imagine This as a New Release Today!
Aramis by Aramis is one reason among many that I love Estée Lauder. This is the only men’s non-niche stark leather chypre perfume available. It’s been in production since the 1960s, so it must have some degree of a following. Why are there no imitators trying to cash in? Along with its twin, EL’s Azurée, it is the heir to the Cabochard fortune. Of course the estate is still in probate, as nobody can determine if Cabochard is alive or dead.

I’ve seen a number of lists of notes, but to my nose it’s a bergamot-heavy, herbal, patchouli and moss blast. I’ve seen it described as floral, and if it is, it’s of the searing dry variety. I go back and forth between this and Azurée. They are notably similar side by side, and the one could easily be taken for the other in isolation. Aramis is a bit sharper, has a cooler herbal tone (clove, bay, pepper) and more patchouli. The similarities, though, outweigh the differences.

The majority of the good leather chypres come from the niche world (Rien, Cuir Mauresque) or from smaller-release houses (Bandit, Knize Ten.) This EL cheapie, though, compares favorably with the best of them. Interesting to note, it’s also outlived (or resisted lethal reformulation) Madame Jolie, Cabochard and Tabac Blond. A survivor.
10.0 7.5 7.0/10

Leather for a manly-man
I've had many men approach me in the past asking for me to suggest a fragrance that is masculine and bold. Quite often I'd point them in the direction of niche lines, however now that I've found Aramis, I have no qualms directing them towards this classic gem.

Aramis has quite a punch to it. There's a fierceness to this composition that is quite attractive to a female nose. I get a lot of leather in Aramis, along with myrrh, patchouli, sage and cardamom. Although bold and a little dirty, this blend is juxtaposed with a clean soapiness, possibly brought about by the floral accords and sparkling aldehydes.

Aramis is a powerhouse fragrance, there really is no other way to describe it. It reminds me of those other classic leather scents like Robert Piguet's Bandit and Gres Cabochard, however this masculine offering is far more biting and rich.

When I smell Aramis, I picture my Grandfather in the 1940's, with his hair slicked back, wearing an expensive and fashionable leather jacket while he leans against his prized motorcycle. Had he been alive today I would have asked him if he ever wore or smelt this particular fragrance.

Aramis is a scent for strong, aggressive and masculine men. When women smell this they know they're looking at a man that knows his place, and values his masculinity and strength. I wouldn't dare try to wear this myself.
5.0 7.5 7.5 5.0/10

The OLD Smell for Oldies
Strong. Projection : one hour to 2 hour. Only for Old men. Good. Not for teens or men under 40"s.

Trucklady 86 days ago
A mix of Aromatics Elixir and Cabochard edt with a hefty dose of hairs on the chest. Masculine in all the right spots. Sexy AF.
6.0
10.0
Seikosekara 10 months ago
Aramis by Aramis is the last man standing...
AmberScent 10 months ago
A truly unique scent. Great perfumes and politicians have a lot of admirers and just a few detractors. I vote on Aramis for president!+2
Jazzy76 12 months ago
A real gentleman might wear this scent: timeless, spicy, very well balanced and with a good sillage. A great classic good on my skin too!+1
Verbena 13 months ago
Bitter wind and leather rags. Silver spurs, untamed and bold. Man's primal scream. Scent legend carved in mossy stone.+5
10.0

Aramis EDC 350ml
by Couchlock
by Couchlock

Popular Aramis

Aramis (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy Rose by Aramis Aramis 900 (Herbal Eau de Cologne) by Aramis Tuscany per Uomo / Etruscan (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Havana (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Devin (Country Eau de Cologne) by Aramis J•H•L (Custom Blended Cologne) by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy by Aramis New West for Him (Skinscent) by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy Saffron by Aramis Tuscany per Donna (Eau de Parfum) by Aramis Aramis Gentleman by Aramis New West for Her (Skinscent) by Aramis Aramis Black by Aramis Adventurer by Aramis Havana Reserva by Aramis Aramis Life (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Havana pour Elle (Eau de Parfum) by Aramis Impeccable by Aramis Cool Blend (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis