Aramis (Eau de Toilette)

(1964)
Aramis (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis
Where to buy?
Aramis (Eau de Toilette) (Aramis)
Aramis (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Aramis for men and was released in 1964. The scent is spicy-leathery. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Bernard Chant

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Artemisia, Bergamot oil, Gardenia, Clover, Thyme
Heart Notes Heart NotesClove, Orris root, Jasmine, Cardamom, Clary sage, Myrtle oil
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Tree moss, Coconut, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 13.01.2017

Helpful Review    3 Awards
Mandatory Classic
Probably one of my all time personal favorites. I always fall for classic, old-school scents but I had no memory of this perfume, before I got myself a bottle. As soon as I sprayed it on, I was reminded of many different 'moments' from my childhood where I distinctly could place this smell. Some old uncle, my dad's friend..someone or the other has worn this in the past and, most probably, still does. It's 'the' classic scent.

I really can't add much to the previous reviews. It's been around since 1964! A mind-boggling concoction of a bright floral accord with aldehydes, dark and rich leather and a generous dose of moss. With one of the most beautiful sandalwood-patchouli-amber drydowns, ever! Lasts more than a day and projects like a monster. I use the Concentree version and it lasts for 2 days on my clothes.

I usually don't believe that perfumes have a gender, but some do tilt one way or another strongly. This is definitely and brashly masculine. And at the price it sells for, it's a steal! If this was released today by one of the 'niche' houses, it would cost a fortune.

Absolutely must try classic.

10/10
Helpful Review    5 Awards
Bel Ami on steroids
Aramis Classic is a fantastic, solid, powerful and – as the name goes – more than classic leather chypre, so austere and straightforward it smells almost like a canon of prototypical masculinity in perfumery. Dark and bold, warm and with just a thin feel of “macho”, basically centered around leather, herbs, aldehydes, classic “manly” flowers (jasmine, lavender) and a base accord of oak moss and woods – all of this at least in the vintage EDC version I own, which is the only version I’ve worn so far of this fragrance. I got it for $12 and it has a fantastic depth rich in “aged” density (and a nuclear sillage). Great flowers, great leather, impressive oak moss. Everlasting drydown. A timeless, no-frills, dark masculine manifesto. The cheesy American cousin of Hermès Bel Ami. Conventional, but not outdated and not boring at all – simply a bold, comforting classic. As I said I do not know the actual version, I’m sure it’s great too, but personally, generally if a vintage version of a scent exists, then I’d go for that “a priori”. Anyway, beautiful!

8/10
Bottle 5.0/10
Sillage 10.0/10
Longevity 10.0/10
Scent 5.0/10
Helpful Review    3 Awards
Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde...
Aramis opens on skin with a very nicely done grassy green artemisia mixing with subtle aldehydic touches and aromatic bergamot before transitioning after a couple minutes to the key heart notes of sandalwood, musky patchouli and vetiver which darken the mood considerably. Strong base notes of leather and oakmoss meld early-on with the musky patchouli to form an extremely potent mossy/musky/leathery accord that is rather cloying. Projection and longevity are both excellent.

Aramis is an interesting powerhouse scent. The grassy-green artemisia couples with the bergamot and skillfully subdued aldehydes quite well, creating a very fine open that is easily top-notch... Then the heart and base notes somewhat spoil the party as the aromatic leathery/mossy/musky combination is so strong and cloying that it is very hard to wear. I really want to give Aramis a positive rating for its early appeal, but in the end I find myself really disliking it due to its cloying nature later-on and as such it nets a neutral rating and a very average 2.5 stars out of 5 rating. This one wrote the book on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde! What a real shame as it shows such promise early-on.
jtd
Very helpful Review    8 Awards
Imagine This as a New Release Today!
Aramis by Aramis is one reason among many that I love Estée Lauder. This is the only men’s non-niche stark leather chypre perfume available. It’s been in production since the 1960s, so it must have some degree of a following. Why are there no imitators trying to cash in? Along with its twin, EL’s Azurée, it is the heir to the Cabochard fortune. Of course the estate is still in probate, as nobody can determine if Cabochard is alive or dead.

I’ve seen a number of lists of notes, but to my nose it’s a bergamot-heavy, herbal, patchouli and moss blast. I’ve seen it described as floral, and if it is, it’s of the searing dry variety. I go back and forth between this and Azurée. They are notably similar side by side, and the one could easily be taken for the other in isolation. Aramis is a bit sharper, has a cooler herbal tone (clove, bay, pepper) and more patchouli. The similarities, though, outweigh the differences.

The majority of the good leather chypres come from the niche world (Rien, Cuir Mauresque) or from smaller-release houses (Bandit, Knize Ten.) This EL cheapie, though, compares favorably with the best of them. Interesting to note, it’s also outlived (or resisted lethal reformulation) Madame Jolie, Cabochard and Tabac Blond. A survivor.
Sillage 10.0/10
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 7.0/10
Greatly helpful Review    7 Awards
Leather for a manly-man
I've had many men approach me in the past asking for me to suggest a fragrance that is masculine and bold. Quite often I'd point them in the direction of niche lines, however now that I've found Aramis, I have no qualms directing them towards this classic gem.

Aramis has quite a punch to it. There's a fierceness to this composition that is quite attractive to a female nose. I get a lot of leather in Aramis, along with myrrh, patchouli, sage and cardamom. Although bold and a little dirty, this blend is juxtaposed with a clean soapiness, possibly brought about by the floral accords and sparkling aldehydes.

Aramis is a powerhouse fragrance, there really is no other way to describe it. It reminds me of those other classic leather scents like Robert Piguet's Bandit and Gres Cabochard, however this masculine offering is far more biting and rich.

When I smell Aramis, I picture my Grandfather in the 1940's, with his hair slicked back, wearing an expensive and fashionable leather jacket while he leans against his prized motorcycle. Had he been alive today I would have asked him if he ever wore or smelt this particular fragrance.

Aramis is a scent for strong, aggressive and masculine men. When women smell this they know they're looking at a man that knows his place, and values his masculinity and strength. I wouldn't dare try to wear this myself.
Bottle 5.0/10
Sillage 7.5/10
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 5.0/10
The OLD Smell for Oldies
Strong. Projection : one hour to 2 hour. Only for Old men. Good. Not for teens or men under 40"s.

Popular Aramis

Aramis (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy Rose by Aramis Aramis 900 Herbal Eau de Cologne by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy by Aramis J•H•L (Custom Blended Cologne) by Aramis Havana (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Tuscany per Uomo (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis New West / New West for Him by Aramis Devin (Country Eau de Cologne) by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy Saffron by Aramis Tuscany per Donna (Eau de Parfum) by Aramis Aramis Gentleman by Aramis Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis New West for Her by Aramis Havana Reserva by Aramis Adventurer by Aramis Aramis Life (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Impeccable by Aramis Havana pour Elle by Aramis Aramis Black by Aramis