Aramis 1964Eau de Toilette

Aramis (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis
Aramis (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Aramis for men and was released in 1964. The scent is spicy-leathery. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Bernard Chant

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Artemisia, Bergamot, Gardenia, Clover, Thyme
Heart Notes Heart NotesClove, Orris root, Jasmine, Cardamom, Clary sage, Myrtle
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Tree moss, Coconut, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 14.04.2021.

Aldehydes and old benzene
Dad - some might remember their own father at the thought of Aramis.
Every morning, when he sat down at the breakfast table after showering, there was this scent. Unmistakably, the dad scent. It went well with the suit.
After breakfast, he often drove me to school in the nautical blue W126, which always smelled faintly of Aramis.
My sister and I liked to make fun of the smell. After all, we didn't know what was good and I was still quite a few years away from my first perfume at the time.

Today I need now and then something deceleration from everyday life. Then the day looks like this - two spritzes of Aramis, Hogan instead of Ludwig Reiter and the beard key in the classic leather case for the W126.

And Dad? Breakfasts meanwhile when he wants and wears Fahrenheit. :-)
Chanel N°5 for men - a declaration of love
Attention, this will be a declaration of love. To Aramis Classic, the one, the only... My true signature scent, my partner. While there are two or three other classics that I count in this category, strictly speaking, and if I had to choose one, my real and true signature scent, without having to think for a second, would be Aramis. Why? Because this fragrance matches my personal idea of a perfect companion for a man, for a fragrance lover. A companion for eternity, for every situation, every life situation. A complement, an identification and a trademark. Only very, very few fragrances can achieve that. Once again it is significant that in my case it is of course a (rather old) classic. Yes, I just have it with them. Or rather, for me it's simply the big, venerable houses, brands that manage to meet my ideal idea of a fragrance. And not only in the fragrance itself, but also in the appearance, the look and the message. I love it when fragrances, or let's rather talk about perfume creations here, have character, stand for something. That's why I titled this comment "Chanel N°5 for men". Because, of course, I was not interested in a scent relationship, but in a comparability regarding what status a fragrance has, how much one associates it with something and also how long a fragrance has managed to survive times, trends and "fashionable escapades" and leave behind it smiling confidently completely untouched. In my eyes, Chanel N°5 is an excellent example of this class of perfume for women's fragrances - and for men's fragrances, The One and Only Aramis Classic! My great love. My own personal idea of a perfect fragrance. To put it more simply, one could also speak of cult fragrances in this category, in case you don't quite understand my sweeping, glorifying descriptions. :-). Just as Chanel N°5 is probably the epitome (at least as far as awareness and perception are concerned) of "fragrance-made" femininity and stands for classicism, sovereignty, style, self-confidence, innovation and definitely also a completely new, personal bond/relationship with one's own fragrance, Aramis Classic has been the fragrance associated with masculinity for countless people since its birth in 1964 and especially during this time (but for many real fragrance lovers of course until today). And I don't just want to talk about clumsy "male-female roles" or the understanding of them, because those who know me know that I am definitely also an advocate for everyone to wear the fragrance that he or she likes, that suits you and that you simply want to wear. Even if it is a perfume, which is perhaps marketed as a fragrance for the opposite sex. I don't have a problem with that and I use Shalimar by Guerlain myself, for example. Everyone has to decide for themselves. In spite of everything, however, I am also a nostalgic person and find nothing wrong with having a certain idea of a woman or a man. And this may calmly also move in the original or traditional idea of it. I think that's beautiful, too. So very, very feminine women and striking, "typical men". Because in my opinion this has nothing to do with judgement or lack of equality. But that's another topic, which doesn't even belong here. The important thing is - everyone should like to hold it the way he wants. And that's what I do and that's why I find the "traditional cliché" of men and women quite beautiful. Also in the world of fragrances. But this is not just about the embodiment of masculinity or femininity, but much more. Because Aramis, even though in many people's minds it stands for THE classic men's fragrance, is above all a statement in its own right. A statement, the complete appearance of a fragrance. Olfactory and also cultural. Because Aramis is considered (at least for me) as the fragrant extension of one's own aura, as something that becomes a part of the wearer, in this case the man. As something that you will forever associate with this person. A real signature fragrance. And that starts with the bottle, which is a masterpiece of design in the case of Aramis, just as it is in the case of Chanel N°5. And both bottles, interestingly enough, have hardly changed, if at all, to this day. That's something special. And both fragrances still stand today for what they stood for many decades ago. They are classics and not fads (which I have my problems with anyway). They are so masterfully composed that you (at least me and many, many others) just don't get tired of them. They are traditional, special, fragrances as you would imagine fragrances to be, you can smell their years and yet they are designed to be current at all times, to endure, to always fit and always will. They are objects. And, as mentioned, also visually and how they were visualized and still are today. Brought into our age and still remaining true to themselves. When I smell Aramis, when I operate the atomizer or pour the beloved water from the bottle into my hand, something happens to me. I don't just smell a great, fragrance, I begin a journey. I feel like I am the bearer of a tradition, the keeper of wonderful times. I am in awe of this masterpiece by Bernard Chant. And I really don't have that for many fragrances. By applying this fragrance, I feel armed, protected, and at the same time, I feel like I am using the scent to make my soul a little more "visible" (or smellable). To reveal something of myself. That which I want to reveal. Aramis is complete. The blend of natural and synthetic, of ruggedness (earthiness, spiciness) and sweetness (floral notes) of strength and extroversion while remaining close to my personality makes this fragrance work for me in any situation. Aramis always fits. The only requirement: you have to like being noticed. Because yes, Aramis is strong, a force. But a force that does not waft encroachingly, but remains quite close. And which, I think, due to classic fragrance components (spicy, earthy, mossy, leathery, aldehydic) does not become unpleasant, such as overly sweet scents that can quickly become intrusive. Because Aramis is a chypre par excellence and one of the best representatives for leather notes. I recommend anyone who loves classics, spicy-leathery and strong fragrances, thinks nothing of fleeting trends, to try Aramis. I imagine it will be the beginning of a great love affair...Long live Aramis, my faithful friend or as the advertising strategists of the Estée Lauder Companies say today, "Aramis. All a man is."

A cowhide with finesse
I bought a new bottle. While unboxing, there's already hints of the strong moss base that's so typical for a vintage perfume. This promises to be what the older generation calls a masculine classic, while the young boys would just call it dated. Being born in the 80's, I consider myself somewhere in the middle (in this case)

After the perfume is sprayed and properly settled on skin and the nose got past that initial 'vintage' impression, it becomes clear that this is not just a rugged man's juice of a few generations ago. The overall composition has enough finesse to make this a quality fragrance that can still be worn today. Uplifting aldehydes and herbs versus a raw cowhide-like leather note. I'm starting to enjoy this one.

Performance-wise it does an ok job. Although the opening is strong, it develops into a modestly radiating scent that lasts 6-8 hours. It's autumn now, so not yet sure how this will hold when temperature goes up. Fits well in casual settings, wouldn't match it with a designer suit.

The affordable CEO fragrance
The Aramis, from the brand of the same name, was sent to me as a sample and of course I had to try it out directly. It's a fresh and woody opening scent, which really looks quite mature and has a certain vintage vibe to it.

The performance is really good and he sits down relatively quickly with a fresh bergamot, leather-musky note and stays with it.

I would rather smell this fragrance on a man who is in life and has a strong self-confidence.
MajorTom
From the last millennium....
....this fragrance creation is already and probably even partly clearly older than some perfumers here. That per se demands a shaken measure of respect, since the clear majority of all fragrances disappear sometime in Nirvana. Is such a long existence now good or bad?

I must admit, I am a child of the 80's and yes, I mourn this time regularly. Fortunately, the music of the past has successfully transformed records into mp3 files and old and then incredibly successful series such as Miami Vice still show where the hammer was fashionably hanging. Not all brands/products have undergone a successful transformation in terms of fragrance technology. Some simply disappeared at some point (e.g. Silver by Aigner), others were submerged for a while and would then be reprinted, technical jargon "reformulated", the latter however with extremely different results. Aramis, on the other hand, survived everything.

And I'm surprised at so many positive reviews from especially younger participants here, where I would have the greatest understanding if you would reject the fragrance as old-fashioned. In fact, the fragrance has something from the last centuries/thousand. I bought it for the first time in 1990 and only wore it on special occasions, almost reverently. Raider is called Twix today, nothing changes with Aramis. It is today as it was then this unique, concise, in my opinion male and slightly animal note. And for me one of these representatives, who, the longer he works (with me one working day long), the better (like a good wine). This base note simply burns itself in and remains. Many come to the end with ambry, mossy woody notes, or slightly leathery or finish. Aramis connects them all together in a class combination. Well done.

You don't have to like the scent, but it's an extrovert of its kind. Great cinema and a role model for others according to the motto "that's how it's done".
Franzuschek
You must know, you must not miss, BUT
Aramis is indeed a true milestone! A classic and the fuel of the time travel capsule into the 70s and 80s. The scent must have been a mega seller at the time. Only the grandpas and uncles who wore it at the time were already retired in 1980 or shortly before. Half of my father's friends and the entire tarot game wore this fragrance. For me, it's more a smell than a fragrance. Then as a 10 year old and today as a 45 year old. Concise the memory of a friend of the family. Master tailor, 70, check pattern tie and always accompanied by his deified king poodle and his wife, who is diametrically opposed in the sympathetic ranking. After the visit of this team of three we had to ventilate the apartment at least twice as long as their stay. When I was a kid, I used to put the stink on the king poodle. Today I know that the poodle was only partly to blame. The rest went to the master tailor and his Aramis.
"Why is the Musketeer in your collection?"
For many reasons!
Sometimes there are days when I don't want to have sex. Aramis regulates that gloriously! My wife immediately gets headaches and my limb is not functional (king poodle syndrome).
It's very classic when Millenials on the bus free you a seat.
When shopping for a month I am not pressed in the supermarket when sizing the goods on the conveyor belt.
Government appointments run faster.
And the really valuable reason, for me is that:
If my other scents get dull, I'll put on Aramis. After one day of Aramis I find every scent of my collection great!
And only when you know Aramis does the perfume development of the 80's reveal itself to you!
Chevalier
Man is only really dead when no one thinks of him anymore. Bertolt Brecht
I never thought I'd recognize a scent like this Aramis. When I was preschool, I smelled this scent in a lot of people. At my grandfather's and probably at one of my uncles too. Since this perfumer Mr. Chant had also created the Cabochard, my mother, who had died a long time ago, and my grandmothers, who were all carriers of these fragrances, came to my mind. I was aware of the old spice, this really top fragrance from Aramis was not at all. When I had noticed the first steps of fragrances completely carefree and free of any obligations, this Aramis was exactly such a topic, rather not more than hype, but there was probably not really much more in the seventies. It may have been, but it may not have been.
Anyway, this scent has caused me an incredible memory of past times and people, which I didn't think was possible.

I used to find this kind of scent, these predecessors of the Armanis and Azzaros in the eighties, very simple and as I will never actually smell, because for me it was always too far away and too far from pleasant. Life as a toddler was of course completely carefree and one got many impressions and tastes which one believes to have forgotten.
Until you buy the fragrance after long consideration and want to know how to smell a primordial chypre. At the latest then one notices that one has already known this smell........
Then you ask yourself whether you want to wear such a fragrance.
There are quite other fragrances that are already considered classics from their own youth such as Cool Water, Aramis life, Havana, Fahrenheit, Eternitiy for men and or Joop homme.
Then you realize that you can and even have to wear such a fragrance, it sets you apart from the many cotton candy products that are called fragrances today.

This Aramis has nothing but nothing to do with a modern or contemporary fragrance, here the Azzaro looks like an ancient but still good Azzaro like a newcomer.
Nevertheless, this Aramis is fascinating and extremely pleasant.
In summer it is a pleasure to wear such a spice centrifuge with the typical forest felling.
He is miles away from the Habit Rouge, which also appeared at this time, because he cannot be classified as an Oriental.

It reminds me a bit of 4711, but without this extra citrus wrap which you also know from the cleaning cloths at Burger-King. He's a lot of mossy ground. The development initially shows the bergamot mixed with the spicy background. Not bad, not contemporary, not special but very, very good! The only contemporary thing about this fragrance is the bottle, which still looks absolutely sublime today and stands out pleasantly in style from today's phallus bottles or other design experiments like a radio.

It is wonderful, a little sad and above all very sentimental to be able to revive one's own memories of long lost people through such fragrances.

He is different, louder, more self-confident and disturbs the service of the sugar, caramel and lipstick disciples, who would never dare to wear such a dominant and self-confident product.
You might have to take a stand or express your own opinion, that's never the case with the many sweeties, here you can wear whatever you want, without realizing, as with this one, what fragrance it is. Unless you are well trained and recognize the Aventus opposite the club de nuit or the laventure. Perhaps also the diorama homme to the Prada l intense or the Givenchy gentleman.
This comparison is not meant to be a rift, but shows how elitist and equal the fragrant environment of today differs from earlier times.
Somehow we become more and more similar and synchronized in the completely wrong and naïve assumption how unique, different and sovereign each individual has become.

This uniqueness of the past can no longer be felt in the world of fragrances.
Also the strength of this Aramis cannot be compared with the current products, here four splashes are enough for the whole day.
My mother is beautiful, my father but also the first generations are never really dead for me in this way, because I think about them again and again and carry this long gone fragrance epoch proudly on me.
American Juchten
With the "Aus vielen Framen von Harry Lehmann" (From Many Fragrances by Harry Lehmann), which is discussed in detail on these pages, the lover of Harry Lehmann sets off on the search for halfway suitable substitutes. Especially Lehmann's ore classic "Russian Juchten" is now such a chypre hammer with such a strong character that it would be difficult to find even a halfway comparable broadside in the assortment of other manufacturers. Today I (re)discovered a candidate who at least 80% follows this path by chance while sniffing again at the local Galeria-Kaufhof: Aramis Classic!

Strange, in earlier tests I didn't notice the similarity at all, but today - probably unconsciously sensitized to it by the above mentioned restructuring wave at Lehmann - it seemed astonishing to me. The directly connected, domestic AB comparison shows clear differences, but the impression of close relationship remains - which may be due to the fact that this fragrance genre is nowadays only served by a few houses.

Compared to the (probably much older!) "Russian Juchten" Aramis is much less balsamic and soft in head and heart. On the other hand, it appears a little more raw and edgier and is more strongly based on identifiable individual spices such as sage. I feel the resemblance of the two at this point as almost ninety percent. Backwards out (and this "end" is a very, very long one for both!) the differences increase: Aramis clearly points out that he stands on a sandalwood soap base, while "Russian Juchten" becomes more and more creamy, fine and tobaccolike linearly. Only a similarity of about sixty per cent can be observed here. In addition, Aramis does not quite come close to the Berlin space fill monster in terms of Sillage and durability.

Overall, however, I am reassured to have found an at least halfway comparable (and affordable!) alternative - I don't often feel the brutal oakmoss jieper, but when he comes, something must be at hand.

Aramis - Oh Aramis...

I sought this to experience a new male fragrance to enjoy, a leathery one after I had Versace l'homme. Both have a very prominent leathery note. Aramis is a very palpable leather scent with herbal freshness and it is the aldehydes that do this. But now, I have considered this to be a leather, floral scent too.

When I smell Aramis the first thing that comes to mind is the scent of a nude man, a modest man, he is European, he is English, French, Hungarian, Romanian, or Italian, he is nude and carefree, he is a lover and a confident gentleman.

When I smell it, I think of a man's den, it is dark, he has black walls painted, he has leather furniture, a leather chair, a bouquet of flowers adorn it, flowers that would be acceptable in a man's room, gardenias, thyme, sage and clover, they add sweetness to the scent, he has french doors opening to his back garden, you can smell the fresh air, many herbs, and woods, the fresh green outdoors. He keeps his house clean, but not too much, many things still have his personal scent, his sweat lingers in pillow shams and couch, he has myrrh incense he uses occasionally which lingers days after. He has a cat who loves to climb everywhere... his scent also lingers.
It is definitely masculine, clean but not overly clean, flowery, sweet, there is a chocolate like a scent when the leather mixes with the vetiver which can be chocolatey too, the flowers are there, there fresh air and the musk, yes the musk and castor, and also cumin apparently. I can definitely attest to quality and grandeur about Aramis, it is a dignified man's scent, it glorifies him, just as he is, and adorns him. I love the leather note, the resin, the musk, the flowers..it is gentle enough for a woman to enjoy for herself asa personal pleasure.

The third musketeer's scent
Classic, aromatic,rich, classy, timeless: this is Aramis, the historical scent which has the name of the third musketeer of the famous Dumas' novel . A milestone .
The aromatic opening is dominated by an unusual and almost "ladylike" aldehidic note, giving something "vintage" to this perfume.
Then, the flowery-spicy heart accord develops its character with avery classy result . Finally, at the base, a tripudium of warm notes of moss, amber, musk, patchouli and a vibrant and green touch of vetyver.
A perfectly balanced symphony for the gentleman of all times. The longevity and the sillage are good and the simple and almost "old style " bottle always keeps its charm. A great evergreen scent to own and to give .

HugoMontezHugoMontez 2 months ago
Timeless masculine. If you really love Perfumery, it's a must have. Strong and masculine, with herbs, oakmoss and a leather base. 4/5
CaisahCaisah 5 months ago
The only perfume I can't wear. It has a very synthetic bitter note which I cannot stand.
LizardpeopleLizardpeople 1 year ago
Gorgeous.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
Florals, spices, amber, leather & moss. An unmistakable scent, really one of a kind.
Just love it or hate it. I just love this old school!
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
A mix of Aromatics Elixir and Cabochard edt with a hefty dose of hairs on the chest. Masculine in all the right spots. Sexy AF.
SeikosekaraSeikosekara 2 years ago
Aramis by Aramis is the last man standing...
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
A truly unique scent. Great perfumes and politicians have a lot of admirers and just a few detractors. I vote on Aramis for president!
Jazzy76Jazzy76 3 years ago
A real gentleman might wear this scent: timeless, spicy, very well balanced and with a good sillage. A great classic good on my skin too!
VerbenaVerbena 3 years ago
Bitter wind and leather rags. Silver spurs, untamed and bold. Man's primal scream. Scent legend carved in mossy stone.

Kissing you, Aramis!
by Bulentbc
by Bulentbc
by YKem
by YKem
Aldehyde und alte Benze...
by V12
Aramis EDC 350ml
by Couchlock
by Couchlock

Popular Aramis

Perfume Calligraphy Rose by Aramis Aramis Tobacco Reserve by Aramis Aramis 900 (Eau de Cologne) by Aramis J•H•L (Cologne) by Aramis Havana (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Tuscany per Uomo / Etruscan (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Devin (Eau de Cologne) by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy Saffron by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy by Aramis Aramis (After Shave) by Aramis New West for Him (Skinscent) by Aramis Tuscany per Donna (Eau de Parfum) by Aramis Aramis Modern Leather by Aramis Havana Reserva by Aramis New West for Her (Skinscent) by Aramis Havana pour Elle (Eau de Parfum) by Aramis Aramis (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Aramis Impeccable by Aramis Aramis Gentleman by Aramis Aramis Black by Aramis