Devin (Country Eau de Cologne) 1977

Devin (Country Eau de Cologne) by Aramis
Devin (Country Eau de Cologne) is a popular perfume by Aramis for men and was released in 1977. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Bernard Chant

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Mugwort, Bergamot, Galbanum, Lavender, Orange, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Jasmine, Caraway, Stone pine needle, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Labdanum, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 12.10.2020.

Stinki
An unknown land, (lavender cedars)
that I don't know and have never set foot in. Who or what in the world smells like or similar to Devin ?
I cannot hold on to anything with this fragrance, it reminds me of nothing at all and leaves me emotionless.
Is there a similar scent in nature ? No. The softness of lavender combined with the withered creakiness of cedar, with a bitter galbanum plus thick cumin. Nowhere out there I have ever perceived anything similar to the admittedly completely organic smell of Aramis Devin. That must be his secret ! A paradox, but maybe I just haven't gotten around enough yet. Some say it smells like freshly cut grass - bitter grass ? Maybe more like marijuana, but even that smells different. I try to understand it, like it, spray it on, let it work and I can never really say anything about it. It seems anonymous to me, but at the same time European, on all occasions unsuitable for me but never abstract, intrusive or even disturbing. I have tried to understand him, this mystery remains closed to me, I think.

I would really be interested to know what intention or motive B. Chant used as the basis for the creation of this fragrance - I can't grasp it for the life of me. I can't give this fragrance a rating, because it's simply not possible for me. Only so much: it remains in my collection !

Aramis Devin - Dive Into That Leather Jacket
I have some serious level of respect for Aramis as a fragrance house to be reckoned with when it comes to encapsulating masculinity in all its glory, peak and humility.

Aramis Devin released in 1977 is nothing short of that, it oozes of grounded masculinity and elegance while draping it with the persona of a country man. ( Imagine a John Wayne Western, without too much bravado and extra sentimentality ).

It evokes so much nostalgia, that the very first time you smell it, certain names from the pantheon of pine fragrances released in the 70's come out of your subconcious, that you incessantly start uttering them.

The bottle, which projects the notion of class and elegance, despite its utter ambery simplicity adds a playfulness through the chromatic plastic cap on top, showing that this masculine perfume has at its core a flexibility and simplicity, which it embraces and adores.

The fragrance itself opens up with an initial burst of aldehydic bergamot which creates this citrusy fuzziness around you and then morphs into spicy and smoky pine needle, which is reminiscent of almost every other power house pine fragrance released in the 70's decade.

This might even be considered a grand daddy and a precursor to Polo, yet it is bewildering to see the towering impact that Polo has had on pine flavored fragrances, subsequent to its release.

The linearity of pine lingers on for a couple of hours along with the floral touch of carnation,the second biggest player in the juice, it adds on this floral and vibrant texture to the fragrance along with the aldehydic component always there.

The pine eventually gives into the finality of this perfume, where the heart of this perfume truly lies, and that is the roughness and rawness of the grounded leather.

One of the most original, authentic and well rounded takes on leather ever put to test.

This could have gone anywhere given the motherload of oakmossy, spicy and pine tinged fragrances coming out in the seventies, but in the hands of Aramis and perfumer Bernard Chant, the key notes developed and awakened another dormant side of its persona and bettered it forever.

Oddly it seems that time might have caught up with it for the better, but whenever I need to take a plunge in the farther edges of memory, I do that with a little help from my friends, like Aramis Devin.

Finally, is easy to see how easily the images of a country man on horseback, wearing leather jacket, leather gloves in the winter season can be conjured up, when one smells this perfume.

Lets leave the review at that very thought.

PERFUME RATING : B+

VERDICT: MUST HAVE FOR OLD TIMES SAKE.
It took time
Because of his described burschiness (mugwort, lemon, caraway, pine, moss, leather) he also had to be put in my bathroom cabinet ("Don't you already have enough scents? First empty one of them and then buy yourself a new scent.").
For afternoon work in the office, "Aramis DEVIN" was sprayed on the neck and wrists with restraint.
First thought: "Did I just pee my pants?" I had to get that stuff off my skin as soon as possible! Some water was enough.
The bottle was packed from the cupboard into the original packaging and came into the "I don't like that box". 14 days later and on a warm summer day I heroically took it in my hand a second time and now it fit. I bravely endured the first spühstoß in the bathroom and then we went out! Sun, blossoms, warmth; everything just fit!
Now in winter DEVIN is standing in the cellar waiting for the warm days of spring! There are better scents for summer. If you don't want to attract attention, you should make another choice; the "Cool Water- Friends" also!

The prophecies of Monsieur Chant
The perfumer Bernard Chant, who unfortunately died already in 1987, created only a rather manageable portfolio, but he left behind some absolute classics with Aromatics Elixier or Aramis 900, Azurée, Cabochard, Halston, JHL and the classic Aramis, among others. Devin (French clairvoyant) may not necessarily belong to the first team, but it is nevertheless a much respected and masterfully designed fragrance that is still convincing.

Moreover, for an eau de cologne it is anything but light-footed, no rather so rich in content that most people would classify it at least for an eau de toilette if not even as eau de perfume.
It combines the citric freshness of Aramis, the refined herbaceous spiciness of Aramis 900 and the oriental sweetness of JHL, i.e. Devin begins mountainous, but galbanum, some caraway seeds, pine needles and above all neat cinnamon quickly follow. The latter is definitely the linchpin of the composition, packed with trailing woody notes as well as oakmoss and a skilful patchouli/leather combination.

No, he is not as harsh as Aramis 900 and not as sweet as JHL and can't reach either of them olfactorically in his sublimity, yet Devin has his charm, since he already indicated in 1977 what would be in fashion in the 80s.
Most of today's wearers will probably have lived through that decade from beginning to end, because the fragrance is not suitable for youngsters, but nevertheless an interesting alternative to attract attention with a vintage classic in their own ranks, even if this could be acknowledged with "You smell like my grandpa".

In any case, Bernard Chant was absolutely pioneering when his creations are still worn after more than 40 and 50 years. Kudos!

My Personal Replacement for Polo
No, they don't smell that much alike. However, I have a thing for fragrances with a good dose of pine in them, my favorite for many years being (vintage) Ralph Lauren Polo.

My most recent bottle of Polo has not stood up to reformulation at all. What was once glorious pine with wonderful tobacco and mossy notes has turned into pine cleaner and a dirty ashtry to my nose. As a former smoker, that is nothing I want to smell like. Since then, I have had many affairs, looking for someone to fill the shoes of my now lost love.

One Man Show was simply too much. Quorum was too much, and I didn't warm up to it any more now than when I was 16 (47 now). Krizia Uomo is beautiful but didn't do it for me. There's a bitterness on my skin I dislike. Neither did Sung Homme, although I enjoy it now and again. Pino Silvestre is too medicinal to my nose, and Aqua Brava is lovely but too fleeting.

Enter Aramis Devin. Mine is the Gentleman's Collection and is probably a far cry from the original formulation (I know the current Aramis is a much tamer beast). It's still nice, and while it isn't my old Polo, it shares that beautiful dense smoothness when it dries down. That was what I was missing. Granted, it's nowhere near as intense as original Polo, but times have changed. That level of intensity was borderline acceptable in the 1980s and would be really out of place now.

Back to the Devin, I really like the current formulation. Estee Lauder seems to have spent more time and love reformulating their standards, so, while they are no longer the powerhouse fragrances they once were, they're still beautiful, lighter, and incredibly easy to wear (something that couldn't be said of some vintage Lauder frags). They get a unequivocal thumbs up from me for effort, and for results, especially in the face of restrictions. As always, with this kind of fragrance, I recommend sampling before you buy. It's not for everyone.

A Bit Dated...
Vintage Devin opens with a blast of semi-soapy aldehydes that comes off a bit harsh on skin, combined with a somewhat synthetic carnation and a ton of patchouli. The scent then adds pine in its heart notes with maybe just a hint of cinnamon. The patchouli only strengthens further in the base notes, while joined by a leather and musk tandem to smooth things out. Projection and longevity are excellent.

I really hate using terms like "dated" and the like to describe scents, not to mention I don't like them associated with my personal favorites from others. That said, in the case of Devin, I really kept thinking to myself over and over again while wearing it that the scent just seemed out of place in present day times. I kind of like it, but I doubt I will crack open my vintage bottle more than once a year, if that. The dry-down is the best part of the scent for me, but getting there is too much of a chore as the top and heart notes don't really interest me much. For those that like old fashioned scents, Devin may be right up your alley but in my mind it does not rise to the level of a classic like many others do from its time period. What Devin *is*, is an above average scent that earns 3 out of 5 stars and an indifferent "neutral" opinion. One of the weaker Aramis releases, IMO.

a fig leaf on Aliage
Devin fits perfectly into the Lauder school of boy/girl pairings. The girl side of the pairing, whether it was the original fragrance or the sequel, seems generally to be the greater of the two. Larger (Aromatics Elixir compared to Aramis 900), heavier (Cinnabar to Aramis JHL), or more forceful (Aliage to Devin.) The Aramis by Aramis/Estée Lauder Azuree pairing is the exception to the pattern. Both are equally sharp, encompassing leather chypres but each takes a slightly different path. Perhaps this parity stems from their origins as descendents of the renown steamroller, the original Grès Cabochard. ‘Greater’ in this case only implies size or volume, not quality. For example I find the softened Aramis 900 lovely, but not quite as appealing as the blockbuster Aromatics Elixir. Yet JHL, with its blowsy, floral side, makes a much more interesting perfume to my nose than Cinnabar on which it’s based. Cinnabar seems to aim for richness and depth but winds up mired and weighed down.

Like JHL, Devin is a toning down of the original on which it’s based: Aliage. Aliage is sharp and direct, but also singing and smiling. Differently than JHL, which redirects the spicy/resinous quality of Cinnabar, Devin filters Aliage. It screens the brightness through a chypre-sieve, unfortunately losing the best parts in the process. Aliage is not so much bright as utterly clear, like brook in a snowy winter. It suggests briskness, even a slap of chill at times. Losing these very qualities, Devin is unfortunately a bit smudged, more room-temperature than cool. Devin feels like Aliage served as reheated left-overs. A particular point, Devin filters out the rich and expansive aspect of galbanum while keeping the sweetness, which, without the compensatory resinousness, appears saccharine sweet, like a shrill whisper.

Devin is one of the few instances where a chypre base is unsuccessful. It weighs Devin down without adding the smolder or mystery that the drydown of a chypre typically implies. It gives a dull opacity that constrains Aliage’s defining characteristic, which is an expansiveness, a clarity. Aliage’s drydown starts about 4 to 5 hours into wearing. Devin’s starts in 30-45 minutes. Devin ends quietly and stays very close to the skin, possibly a goal given its male target audience. Drydown is its best side, though, and I should add that Devin, when reactivated by a little sweat/activity hours after application, has a lovely musky closeness.

I’d prefer not simply to compare perfumes. You know, the whole ‘by comparison we suffer’ bit. But all of the Lauder twins, by nature of their parings, implicitly ask for this sort of examination. With most of the other pairs, I’ve savored both and appreciate the different statements they make. I own and wear Aromatics Elixir, Aramis 900, Azurée, Aramis by Aramis. They’re sensational and each has its place. In this case, though, I’ve never had an instance where I’d wear Devin when I could choose Aliage. Boy/girl versions cannot be easy to compose. This sort of statement about gender and perfumery requires expertise and nuance in order to succeed. While I don’t love Devin, the four Lauder pairings are a tribute to Bernard Chant who composed them all as well as Cabochard. Brilliant thinking, brilliant perfumes.

Carlitos01Carlitos01 14 months ago
Devin is a complex fragrance and individual notes are hard to identify. However galbanun and moss stand out with its green woodiness. Manly!

by jakdelind
by PhilosHippos
by Arlufkin
by Arlufkin

Popular Aramis

Perfume Calligraphy Rose by Aramis Aramis Tobacco Reserve by Aramis Aramis 900 (Herbal Eau de Cologne) by Aramis J•H•L (Custom Blended Cologne) by Aramis Havana (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Aramis (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Tuscany per Uomo / Etruscan (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy Saffron by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy by Aramis New West for Him (Skinscent) by Aramis Aramis (After Shave) by Aramis Tuscany per Donna (Eau de Parfum) by Aramis Havana Reserva by Aramis New West for Her (Skinscent) by Aramis Aramis Modern Leather by Aramis Havana pour Elle (Eau de Parfum) by Aramis Impeccable by Aramis Aramis Gentleman by Aramis Aramis (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Aramis Aramis Black by Aramis