Havana 1994Eau de Toilette

Havana (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis
Bottle Design Hirst Pacific (Original Design, below)
Havana (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Aramis for men and was released in 1994. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Basil, Bergamot, Tarragon, Green notes, Caraway, Mandarin orange
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Geranium, Jasmine, Lily of the valley, Tobacco, Fir, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oak bark, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 02.04.2021.

Ponticus
Havana Moon - the Stones are coming!
The air is shimmering in Havana. It is not yet the sultry heat of the coming rainy season, rather the dry, somewhat cool-fresh, spicy herbaceousness of the grasses, flowers and fruits, more hay-green than gourmand-warm. In the same way, Havana perfume by Aramis opens its olfactory explosion with green herbs, fresh fruit, cumin, floral and spicy. A fragrance that would suit many places in the world.

But we are in Havana, Cuba, the land of casinos, clubs, despots and mafiosis, the favorite place of the great Hemingway, cigars and rum, in the land of mambo, rumba, cha-cha-cha, elegant dancers, attractive ladies and proud women, the island of the revolution of Che and Fidel in which every citizen can write more than just his name.
When Ernest Hemingway was asked why he lived in Cuba, he answered with a declaration of love and said "because he liked it"! We too like Cuba, but today we are there because of them, today is Havana Moon, the Rolling Stones are coming. Meanwhile, not only the air is shimmering, the ground begins to vibrate slightly from the 500,000 visitors of the Benefit Open Air Concert, who together, close together, expectantly unite the joy of life, lightheartedness and tradition of the island.

And so it goes with our Aramis perfume Havana. The tangy, herbaceous opening bouquet retreats somewhat, it remains dry and cold, still green tobacco leaf scent, very slightly resinous and smoky underpinnings, pushes into the foreground. Supplemented by an idea of spicy orientalism, the fragrance, without noticeable sweetness, very slowly transitions into a darker, earthy-leathery aromatics with tart tobacco notes.

The first songs are played and Benita, the reader, the lectora de tabaquería, gets moist eyes listening. Hours ago, she was reading to the torcedores herself as they worked. Her partner, also a torcedoreo, holds her close and hugs her happily with his brown hands, still tobacco and fragrant, while they listen to Honky Tonk Women. Torcedores roll the world's coveted handmade Cohibas, Romeo y Julietas, and Montecristos with great skill on the galeras of cigar factories. Today and now, however, they too celebrate.

The mood is boisterous, joyous, celebratory and loud, the crowd of listeners quaking, music, pleasure, joy, now and here in the moment. The old men on stage give their best and are aware of the history. With the queues of old-timers parked a little off, there is still peace, the bars await the onslaught of tourists, in the distant Naval Base military base, Guantanamo Bay is icy silence, the beach of Varadero and the Bay of Pigs lie peacefully under the evening sky.

From Angie to You Can't Always Get What You Want, the greatest hits have left the stage and the concert is drawing to a close. Quieter, warm, melancholy moods are coming.

Our scent, Havana by Aramis, continues to be thick, rich, and persistent. A splash of sweetness now makes the austere masculinity more pleasing, the earthy spicy tobacco a little cozier and the oriental a little more pronounced. A lingering hint of slightly smoky vanilla announces the conciliatory conclusion to a special olfactory experience. Now the perfume also fits perfectly with this tropical night and Havana. A fragrance with the charm of faded values from an almost bygone era, but at the same time as powerful, young and dynamic as youth can only be!

The stage is empty, satisfied and full of euphoria, the people disperse, the morning after is still far. Mafia boss Meyer Lansky remains missing. Jack-of-all-trades, macho, womanizer and war reporter Ernest Hemingway has made himself comfortable with a Cuba Libre in his Finca Vigia. On the beach, the old man and the sea look saddened and exhausted at the remains of the giant marlin and from the background, hidden in dense fields of sugar cane and tobacco, Che and Fidel also wave, somewhat sadly, at the goings-on. The Habanos glow and rum is also still plenty.

For reading and the small trip to a concert of superlatives very sincere thanks!

Aramis Havana
Tobacco frag-heads unite! An amazing cocktail that hasn't lost anything over the past 25 years. I always recommend this one first to anyone looking to start wearing a masculine tobacco that works during all seasons.

Opening - A strong, stiff, spicy backhand to the jaw
Middle - Cruisin' with your lady!
Finale - Relaxed confidence

Viva Aramis!

4.5 stars.

November 2020 update - I finally picked up a vintage bottle (blue frosted glass). Current gray market average is between $80 and $150 (yikes)...I waited for an auction on Ebay and got mine for $40. Vintage juice is 99% the same as current, with only the opening being a bit smoother. After 5 minutes, they are the same. Current version of Havana can be found online for $20 (100ml).
SvenScent
A modern tobacco scent of the 90s!

One thing first: I had expected an old-school barbershop scent, but I got a very modern looking perfume. Astonishing, especially considering the year of release. Because this fragrance is a child of the 90s!
The perfume opens - very different from what I expected - very fresh, fruity and floral, but also a little synthetic. My first associations were more 'Invictus Acqua' or 'Legend Spirit' than an aramis fragrance After being surprised by this opening, however, I asked myself: where is the tobacco, where is the Havana feeling? Because this was a long time coming. When you think that's it, the chord finally kicks in and a wonderfully authentic tobacco scent slowly unfolds. It's not extremely smoky (and in that case even uncomfortable for me), as in his younger brother 'Tobacco Reserve', or overly sweet, as in so many other tobacco scents, but it's very real The other day it happened that I put on the scent at home and went to a large inland reservoir in a North German city with over a million inhabitants. There I sat on a bench and thought to myself: Who is going to fill his pipe here? Until I noticed, oh, this is my Havana. On the one hand, this was proof that you have to be patient for a while before the tobacco dares to do so, but on the other hand it also showed how natural this tobacco smells. You just have to wait And the floral notes of carnation and geranium, which some here at Parfumo find annoying, I find quite pleasant on the way to the tobacco, because they give the fragrance freshness and lightness, and they also vanish as the fragrance progresses. The fragrance then fades away in a pleasant woody way...

The only thing to add is that the bottle is not worth mentioning and the shelf life is in the upper average range.
DN1982
A dream of Cuba? Or ripped from your sleep?
"If it's too strong, you're too weak" is the title of one of the reviews written for this fragrance, which gives me the perfect hook. Nah, I'm not too weak, but I've been tired of old soaps and the barbershop for decades.

They say yes, caraway + carnation = barbershop. Well, they also say the dose makes the poison. And that's why I hold the formula "K+G=B", which has nothing to do with the old name of the former Soviet secret service, but rather indicates a scent, as a rough guide, but since the dose makes the poison, it doesn't have to mean anything.

But in Havana, they say... I'm afraid so The first breath will tell you which way to go. Bergamot, caraway, tarragon, basil; the rest are placeholders and not worth mentioning. Shave finished, the hairdresser's cape put aside, soapy water on top - 60s, 70s, 80s. There is no help in fables around it, no Cuban romanticism known and misunderstood only from the television
Early on, the G is already in the top note, thus adding up with the K and resulting in B. The tobacco should also be located more in the top note. But what does tobacco mean here? There is something that is indeed reminiscent of pipe tobacco in its cut form. But there is also smoke.
And I am always annoyed why such things are not specified more closely in the pyramid of scents, because tobacco as a leaf or finished smoked product has a significantly different smell than the result of its combustion.
Here we have both states of aggregation, although the smoky note makes me think of incense. Or the "Cuban cigar" was stretched with wood chips and straw; it had no quality, the cigar, rather a cheap stinkhorn The other three little flowers of the heart note serve as a framework for the carnation, they are difficult to make out in detail, sometimes one of them flashes out a little more, sometimes the other one comes out a little more, to quickly get back in line again. The spicy fir stands out more, as does the cinnamon, which takes a somewhat harsher course through the fir. Also here still K+G=B...

Downstairs, Havana is more conciliatory again. Oak bark and leather are quite dominant, flanked by musk and amber. The woody dryness is flanked by a little bit of tonka and vanilla. This makes sure that the base doesn't get too dry and I can say that the base is really successful. If it wasn't for the fact that K+G=B would still shine down there...

So to wait a long time until it becomes interesting AND to be annoyed with KGB, who then still investigates in the base, but more covertly, is clearly too much for me. Yes, there I voluntarily raise the white flag
For K+G=B fans who find quorum viiiiiiiiiiieel too strong, Havana is surely something to reminisce about, which should be rather non-Cuban in nature and at the same time a little bit more modern interpreted, round shaped barbershop, which is quite sweetly built
For me this EdT is nothing, but I think it should now be clarified once and for all what Havana is - without any transfiguration.
Attitude to life
Havana is a fragrance with an extroverted top note, a smooth heart note that maintains the sovereign balance and expression of the ingredients and a long base note that can be perceived for a good 6 h+. It's all about expression, because in this Cuban bar, every heart beats. First of all it's over with sweet. It's all about passion. And the dance has begun.
In my head, Buena Vista Social Club, Esperanto from Freundeskreis, is running on the old shellac record player and in the old wooden shelf you can see the communist manifesto next to all kinds of cookbooks of spicy and intense dishes. A wafer-thin pinch of vanilla moves from the kitchen into the nose and mixes with the smell of the old cigar. The music and the smoke blow together in a wind chime through the streets and still reach the mountains with the steaming palm trees and the old coniferous woods. The slight coolness in the shade of the monumental Cuba pine in front of the building, which is decorated with all kinds of paintings, is quickly forgotten.

Even though Christmas is celebrated cold in Europe. Here, people heat up and after this first hour, which seems like an epoch, the vanilla tobacco smoke rises like a blue haze in the dance bar and is accompanied by the smell of the cinnamon stars that are served from the kitchen. I buy a drink for the lady of my heart and toast her with a glass of rum before I get up and lead her onto the dance floor with a smile and a kiss on the cheek.

Only now begins what I call "sovereign balance and the expression of the components". It's something different from Contenance, but damned close: it's also over. A mixture of tension and relaxation. A pirouette with luck. And from then on, nothing else matters.

Except our opinions during the intense conversation after our dance, whether Hemingway or Marx belonged on this wooden shelf and what Obama has done for Cuba. In the end we embrace each other deeply and promise to be like brother and sister, because that is what it is all about. We sit relaxed on a leather couch and I notice: We like vanilla, fresh, natural, unsweet. And I like and kiss her neck. A nice common denominator
Anyone who wakes up in the morning after that night in the bar and smells the tobacco smell on their clothes will be glad that they are not going out again. Non-smokers are the real connoisseurs
And now more objectively:
1. The top note: basil, tarragon and tangerine, but in the spice shop next to caraway and green tea (the start at the bar next to the kitchen).
2. The heart note: tobacco, cinnamon, vanilla and fir (the dance in the smoke).
3. The base note: oak, leather, musk and sandalwood (the conversation on the leather couch)
Chizza
The never negatively noticeable all-rounder
Havana, for me this is a fragrance that is quite linear and pleasant. To which one notes the year of release. But which also does not offend, does not have a strong sillage or exaggerated durability, but is nice to smell. I like it, I usually spray it on myself when I have to do something quickly or when I want to end the evening with positive vibes but without getting excited. For the price I am satisfied and I think that he has his strengths especially in spring and then summer
To the scent itself: What I smell out for me is the tobacco. But it is flanked by something spicy, which inhibits the sweetness of the tobacco. If I don't fantasize completely, the fir tree also stands out but more subliminally than a kind of mood nuance. The spice potpourri at the beginning is nice but for me it is not individually definable. The tangerine adds a dash of freshness.
Quite a creation. Doesn't exist today in such a flair anymore.
16:50 from Paddington
For a statement too long, for a comment actually too short, but never mind.
If you are simply looking for an all-round fragrance that is always well received, whether by the 20-year-old trainee or the 50-year-old cafeteria employee, Havana is always the right choice. I have never received more compliments with any fragrance.
You can search for years for the "perfect" scent, what I did, from Aventus to Sauvage I tried pretty much everything, was an expensive affair, but with no good scent you can smell like the Miss Marple in "16:50 ab Paddington", which I appreciated very much.
But at some point you have to make a commitment, and I have now, you definitely never go wrong with Havana.
And for a change Sauvage or Boss Bottled Intense, and Mr. Stringer, God rest his soul, will surely like it too :)

Tobacco reference
This old school tobacco scent got discontinued and then brought back ten years ago due to hardcore fans, like myself. This is no sweet honey-tobacco fragrance like you are probably used to. When I smell it and close my eyes, I see old men in a pub, puffing their lungs away. It won't drop any panties, if that's what you're into. But if you've never smelt it, you owe yourself a bottle of Havana, a must on every olfactory journey. In my book, this is a 5-star masterpiece.
with 2 words:
Muy delicioso.
An unusually strong piment/caraway prelude that quickly turns into a green Bayrum vanilla with soft, light woods without being really sweet or unnatural. Initially a slightly tangy fragrance, which almost looks like a kind of special fresh, light gourmand, but which has nothing in common with any other gourmand, since it completely avoids all synthetic sweetness and also has nothing of a dessert, rather of a degestiv. I don't really like vanilla in men's perfumes, but this light alcoholic whiff from the background, soaked in rum as if from a real vanilla stick, is already very pleasant - perhaps also like a dash of equatorial liqueur, e.g. Batida de Coco, etc. to perceive. Rarely have I heard a fragrance that appears so calm and laid back and yet is by no means unvirile or opah-like.
This quite simple but excellently designed jungle/cuba art deco label alone immediately exudes a sultry colonial casino/bar of South America, or Cuba flair of the 50s and 60s pre Castro era, with all its promises and mafia nightclub stories. Although I am quite receptive to such thoughts (this label...) this fragrance offers me this kind of nostalgia, but reminds me promptly of one of the most Anglophile classics ever: Dunhill for men from 1934. Only that almost everything old-fashioned and stiff (pipe tobacco replaced by Bayrum and lemon by grapefruit/ mandarin and no tar) was removed and a green aquatic note and piement added. At least I don't have any associations with sultry South American rum dancers in flamingo-coloured, knotted frill shirts, nor do I see the unshaven macho with hat (today probably rather basecap) hanging around sweaty with a cocktail in some bar, as so often circulated in other reviews. For me, this is a dry, dense but not thick, relaxed gentleman oriental fougere feel-good fragrance, which can be worn at any time of year and any occasion and is also not cheeky. I believe, however, that his special spices are more effective in heat. The sweetness is similar to that of Old Spice (see Dunhill above). Nevertheless I consider Tuscany - Havana has loans from Tuscany, but has less cinnamon, but is sweeter/transparent - to be the better fragrance in terms of craftsmanship. Havana Sillage moderate - shelf life could be better, therefore only 8,5.
Oops, did I just smell banana or is the fantasy ?

Carlitos01
Sunday starts by smoking a lazy pipe while swinging in the balcony rocking chair
I always liked the house of Aramis. As a little boy Aramis was my prefered musketeer. I started to like fragrances when, at the age of 10, I received my first after shave as a gift in the form of a magnificent 200 ml splash bottle of Aramis. It lasted more than 2 years as I did not have a lot of beard by then. Since then Aramis always has a reserved space in my fragrant heart.

In my opinion, Havana and Tuscany compete for the "Best Aramis Fragrance" award since more than two decades ago. There is nothing wrong with the regular Aramis EdT and flankers, any of the Perfume Caligraphy editions, Aramis 900, Devin or JHL (all very nice scents), but my nose got enchanted with those two scents long ago.
Provided I have already decided to wear an Aramis scent, how do I choose between the two of them?... well when I dress up or have an evening with friends, Tuscanny is the winner. At leisure, in the confort of my own house, I do not resist to the wonderfull tobacco, boozy, woody and leathery accords of Havana.
Besides loving it, to better understand and qualify this fragrance, I need to reflect a little and not just let my imagination fly along with the fragrance. Can Havana be considered a fougère? - Yes probably, because there are greens, tarragon, herbs, mosses and caraway. But a boozy fougère ? - Hardly!...
At least something of its previous life, that began in the twentieth century, still endures in 2018. Havana is joyfully performant but it's neither heavy nor tiring. It's probably a market herency shared with the best perfumes of the 90's.
There are two accords in which I do not differ from other Havana lovers. I get a wonderful dry tobacco scent and some booze as well (due to caraway or tarragon?). But while most people seem to see Havana as an warm scent, to me it stays somewhat camphorously cool from start to finish, and ever so pleasant for us to enjoy it on our own.

Let's see the math for Havana:
________________________________________________________________
- Opening: 8.5 (pleasant green and fougére mildly sweet opening)
- Drydown: 9.0 (pleasant moist tobacco, cinnamon and moss)
- Longevity: 9.0 (10 hours+ with 3 sprays)
- Sillage: 8.0 (up to 6 feet for 2.5 hours of projection with 3 sprays)
- Uniqueness: 9.5 (unique, very well blended, giving me some faint vibes of Montana Homme and not similar to anything else I am aware off)
- Versatility: 8.0 (almost everywhere, but with better choices for clubbing and formal events. Perfect for leisure at home. Don't use it while working out or in the beach)
- Wearability: 9.0 (high during Spring and Autumn,... quite adequate during Winter or Summer as well, but avoid extreme heat or cold).
- Compliments: 8.0 (It's almost an universal pleaser but not a compliment magnet)
- Quality: 9.0 (my judgement - does not suggest even a small vibe of being cheap or synthetic. It does smell expensive; with a little better performance it would deserve a 10.0)
- Presentation: 7.0 (discrete but nice. Excellent cap and sprayer.)
- Price: 9.5 (100 ml non tester for 20 Euros + VAT)
________________________________________________________________
Average: 8.62 / 10.00
- between 7 and 8 = above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recomended;
- bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
Advice: A fragrance from the 90's but quite pleasant and up to date. It does attract a positive attention but just a few compliments . As a reward for picking this gem you will get an above average performance even with the current formulation.
Do not blind buy it, as it is a bit earthy and boozy. Try it first.

Noteworthy: This perfume is also an example of how Lauder cares about their customers having relaunched Havana due to numerous requests.

Music; Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody"

50something50something 24 days ago
Very masculine. A tad old school yet timeless all the same. So much going on but the tobacco is done just right. 9/10
TorkeTorke 6 months ago
Old school, wet tobacco heavy scent.
Not for everyone - especially if you are young - but not really that outdated.
Smells like Che Guevara
KimJongKimJong 1 year ago
A cologne that will increase your handsomeness by 20%. The scent from the lounge of a 5-star hotel.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
This old school tobacco and boozy gem remains an alluring modern scent; Six years after my havana last bottle I rediscover a forgotten love.

Light my fire...
by Martin660
by Mustafa
by Mustafa

Popular Aramis

Perfume Calligraphy Rose by Aramis Aramis Tobacco Reserve by Aramis Aramis 900 (Eau de Cologne) by Aramis J•H•L (Cologne) by Aramis Tuscany per Uomo / Etruscan (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Devin (Eau de Cologne) by Aramis Aramis (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy Saffron by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy by Aramis New West for Him (Skinscent) by Aramis Aramis (After Shave) by Aramis Tuscany per Donna (Eau de Parfum) by Aramis Aramis Modern Leather by Aramis Havana Reserva by Aramis New West for Her (Skinscent) by Aramis Havana pour Elle (Eau de Parfum) by Aramis Aramis (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Aramis Impeccable by Aramis Aramis Gentleman by Aramis Aramis Black by Aramis