Havana (1994) Eau de Toilette

Havana (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis

Havana (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Aramis for men and was released in 1994. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Basil, Bergamot, Tarragon, Green notes, Caraway, Mandarin
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Geranium, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Tobacco, Fir, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oak bark, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 07.10.2019.

Tobacco reference
This old school tobacco scent got discontinued and then brought back ten years ago due to hardcore fans, like myself. This is no sweet honey-tobacco fragrance like you are probably used to. When I smell it and close my eyes, I see old men in a pub, puffing their lungs away. It won't drop any panties, if that's what you're into. But if you've never smelt it, you owe yourself a bottle of Havana, a must on every olfactory journey. In my book, this is a 5-star masterpiece.
7.0 7.0 7.0 8.5/10

DrGourmand
Havan(n)a - place of longings and emotions
Many people associate all kinds of longings and desires with certain parts of the world. Besides Baikal and the South Seas this applies to me to the capital of Cuba, Havana (La Habana). When I think of Havana, I think of smells, pleasures, proud women, joie de vivre, light-heartedness and tradition. It's an ideal, it's not true and it's wrong, but I love it!
The focus is on the cigar, legendary brands such as Cohiba, Romeo y Julieta, Montecristo and all the other Habanos with the fine, spicy smoke. In addition tasty rum, caramel sweet, dark or white, Bacardi, Havana Club - delicious. And there he sits, smoking, drinking, sweating, the great Hemingway in his bar. I see the casinos, clubs and hotels of mafia boss Meyer Lansky, the mafia film "the godfather 2" and everywhere attractive ladies and elegant dancers who perform to brilliant music, the dances invented here like Mambo, Rumba or Cha-Cha-Cha.
The sun was burning, the air still hot, Havana is waiting. Then they come, in old American vintage cars, the Stones. It's Havana moon!
The crowd trembles, the crowd lives, music, pleasure, joy, now in the moment. And from the background, hidden in dense sugar cane and tobacco fields, Che and Fidel look on, a little sad, too. From the sea, the old man and Ernest wave, the Habanos glow and rum is still there.
A scent of good values from a bygone world. A fragrance, powerful, young, dynamic. A scent like Havana!
8.0 7.0 6.0 8.5/10

with 2 words:
Muy delicioso.
An unusually strong piment/caraway prelude that quickly turns into a green Bayrum vanilla with soft, light woods without being really sweet or unnatural. Initially a slightly tangy fragrance, which almost looks like a kind of special fresh, light gourmand, but which has nothing in common with any other gourmand, since it completely avoids all synthetic sweetness and also has nothing of a dessert, rather of a degestiv. I don't really like vanilla in men's perfumes, but this light alcoholic whiff from the background, soaked in rum as if from a real vanilla stick, is already very pleasant - perhaps also like a dash of equatorial liqueur, e.g. Batida de Coco, etc. to perceive. Rarely have I heard a fragrance that appears so calm and laid back and yet is by no means unvirile or opah-like.
This quite simple but excellently designed jungle/cuba art deco label alone immediately exudes a sultry colonial casino/bar of South America, or Cuba flair of the 50s and 60s pre Castro era, with all its promises and mafia nightclub stories. Although I am quite receptive to such thoughts (this label...) this fragrance offers me this kind of nostalgia, but reminds me promptly of one of the most Anglophile classics ever: Dunhill for men from 1934. Only that almost everything old-fashioned and stiff (pipe tobacco replaced by Bayrum and lemon by grapefruit/ mandarin and no tar) was removed and a green aquatic note and piement added. At least I don't have any associations with sultry South American rum dancers in flamingo-coloured, knotted frill shirts, nor do I see the unshaven macho with hat (today probably rather basecap) hanging around sweaty with a cocktail in some bar, as so often circulated in other reviews. For me, this is a dry, dense but not thick, relaxed gentleman oriental fougere feel-good fragrance, which can be worn at any time of year and any occasion and is also not cheeky. I believe, however, that his special spices are more effective in heat. The sweetness is similar to that of Old Spice (see Dunhill above). Nevertheless I consider Tuscany - Havana has loans from Tuscany, but has less cinnamon, but is sweeter/transparent - to be the better fragrance in terms of craftsmanship. Havana Sillage moderate - shelf life could be better, therefore only 8,5.
Oops, did I just smell banana or is the fantasy ?
7.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

Carlitos01
Sunday afternoon, smoking a lazy pipe while sitting on a balcony rocking chair
I always liked the house of Aramis. As a little boy Aramis was my prefered musketeer. I started to like fragrances when, at the age of 10, I received my first after shave as a gift in the form of a magnificent 200 ml splash bottle of Aramis. It lasted more than 2 years. Since then Aramis always has a reserved space in my fragrant heart.

In my opinion, Havana and Tuscany compete for the "Best Aramis Fragrance" award since more than two decades ago. There is nothing wrong with the Aramis cologne, Perfume Caligraphy, 900 and JHL but my nose got enchanted with those two scents long ago.
Provided I have already decided to wear an Aramis scent, how do I choose between the two of them?... well when I dress up or have an evening with friends, Tuscanny is the winner. At leisure, in the confort of my own house, I do not resist to the wonderfull tobacco, boozy, woody and leathery accords of Havana.
Besides loving it, to better understand and qualify this fragrance, I need to reflect a little and not just let my imagination fly along with the fragrance. Can Havana be considered a fougère? - Yes probably, because there are greens, tarragon, herbs, mosses and caraway. But a boozy fougère ?
At least something of its previous life, that began in the twentieth century, still endures in 2018. Havana is joyfully performant but it's neither heavy nor tiring. It's probably a market herency shared with the best perfumes of the 90's.
There are two accords in which I do not differ from other Havana lovers. I get a wonderful dry tobacco scent and some booze as well (due to caraway?). But while most people seem to see Havana as an warm scent, to me it stays somewhat camphorously cool from start to finish, and ever so pleasant for us to enjoy it on our own.

Let's see the math for Havana:
- Scent opening: 9.0
- Scent drydown: 9.0
- Longevity: 9.0 (10 hours+ with 3 sprays)
- Sillage: 8.0 (up to 6 feet for 2.5 hours of projection with 3 sprays)
- Uniqueness: 9.5 (unique, very well blended, giving me some faint vibes of Montana Homme and not similar to anything else I am aware of)
- Versatility: 8.5 (almost everywhere, but with better choices for clubbing and formal events. Perfect for leisure at home. Don't use it while working out or in the beach)
- Wearability: 9.0 (high during Spring and Autumn,... quite adequate during Winter or Summer as well, but avoid extreme heat or cold).
- Compliments: 8.0 (It's almost an universal pleaser but not a compliment magnet)
- Quality: 9.0 (my judgement - does not suggest even a small vibe of being cheap or synthetic. It does smell expensive; with a little better performance it would deserve a 10.0)
- Presentation: 8.0 (discrete but nice. Excellent cap and sprayer.)
- Price: 9.5 (100 ml non tester for 20 Euros + VAT)

Average: 8.77 / 10.00
- between 7 and 8 = above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recomended;
- bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
Advice: A fragrance from the 90's but quite pleasant and up to date. It does attract a positive attention but just a few compliments . As a reward for picking this gem you will get an above average performance even with the current formulation.
Do not blind buy it, as it is a bit earthy and boozy. Try it first.

Noteworthy: This perfume is also an example of how Lauder cares about their customers having relaunched Havana due to numerous requests.

Music; Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody"
6.0 7.0 9.0 7.5/10

Havana by Aramis
This one has been around since the mid 90s and my video review is on a new bottle purchased in early 2017. I hope you enjoy the review and take time to watch my others.

7.5 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Sí Señor!
Oh Boy! This is a serious, earthy "means business" man's cologne! This is one to intimidate.

Wear it confidently to the big game, to that poker match, club gathering, out on the town, to your board meeting. You'll impress, no doubt.

My only downer with Havana is the cinnamon content which I found a little high, but I am quite sensitive to this flavour, so it may not affect other men as much.

Havana is a masterful combination of oils which produce an invigorating immediate effect, carrying through a slightly flowery middle, to a fantastic woody, leathery, warm, smoky dry-down: a memorable fragrance in a perfectly-shaped fist-size bottle. Love it !

Rickbr
My biggest surprise was discovering, when searching for its notes, that Havana was created in the 90 years, more precisely in 1994. If you don't know this detail, you quickly associate this perfume to the 80's, that time when masculine creations had a big, herbal and unsmilling aura. Maybe what makes the differente between the fragrances of this time and Havana is that it goes beyond the aroma of woods and dry herbs, it's a complex harmony of several elements around what links it to its name, the tobacco accord. This is a spicier and drier tobacco that becomes a little bit more sweet and boozy as the scent develop on skin. The opening is mainly herbal, it makes me think of perfume alcohol made of bitter leaves with something more sweet and citrus. This inicial moment reminds me of a brazillian classic of the eighties, Natura Sr N, but this resemblance goes as fast as i notice it, when i start to detect the dry and smoky combination of tobacco and fir, with a dry spicy aura of clove, cinnamon and carnation. Until this moment Havana is tipically for me on eighties lands, but from the heart until the base that things transform, when the tobacco starts to develop a vanilla and almondy side and a subtle liquer-ish tone, counterbalanced by an abstract and discreet woody accord. I don't know if this reformulated one i'm wearing is faithful to the original one, but it certainly has quality, keeping the connection with its name and i think it's worthing being tried if you enjoy fragrances with a more retro aura.
5.0 7.5 7.5 9.0/10

Drseid
If This Is What Havana Smells Like I Really Would Love To Visit...
Oh yeah, now we are talking! Aramis Havana is an incredible scent indeed. It has so much going on I could not even begin to properly describe it effectively. That said, the best way I can think of to give a relatively good impression of what it smells like, is fresh rolled tobacco leaf used to wrap cigars mixed with bay rum and a hint of smoke. This is über masculine, and quite powerful. Quite frankly, Havana represents just about everything I love about wearing powerhouse scents. Definitely belongs in every man's collection and it is quite reasonably priced to boot. I love it so much, I just bought another bottle. 4.5 stars out of 5.

Celery Fougère
The re-released Gentleman’s Collection by Aramis is like a series of love letters from Estée Lauder to men. This line is top-notch and a spectacular synopsis of the history of Aramis. Other men’s fragrance lines should take note and be threatened.

Havana is an instance of more being better. The complexity makes for richness without confusion. Some dissonance, yes. Enough to keep a feeling of complexity from top to drydown. Actually the dissonance up top is a glorious riot. You can tell it’s a woody fragrance, but aldehydes, camphor, grapefruit? Is that celery?

Havana is also a great example of how the best Lauder perfumes can be well-considered nods to existing genres without simply being category-fillers meant to flesh out a line. Havana could be considered a fougère---there’s lavender and coumarin---but a bay rum fougère? A juniper fougère? A celery fougère? It also seems to have learned from the best of the men’s 80s powerhouse fragrances and is joyfully potent but not heavy.

In two respects I’ll differ with most reviewers comments. I don’t get tobacco. Booze, yes. Tobacco, no. And while most seem to see Havana as a warm scent, to me it stays camphorously cool from start to finish. Wait. Maybe that’s it. Is menthol cigarette listed as one of the notes on the Aramis site?

Carlitos01 16 months ago
This old school tobacco and boozy gem remains an alluring modern scent; Six years after my havana last bottle I rediscover a forgotten love.+5
9.0

by Mustafa
by Slickadam
by Slickadam

Popular Aramis

Aramis (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy Rose by Aramis Aramis 900 (Herbal Eau de Cologne) by Aramis Tuscany per Uomo / Etruscan (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Havana (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Devin (Country Eau de Cologne) by Aramis J•H•L (Custom Blended Cologne) by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy by Aramis New West for Him (Skinscent) by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy Saffron by Aramis Tuscany per Donna (Eau de Parfum) by Aramis Aramis Gentleman by Aramis New West for Her (Skinscent) by Aramis Aramis Tobacco Reserve by Aramis Aramis Black by Aramis Adventurer by Aramis Havana Reserva by Aramis Aramis Life (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Havana pour Elle (Eau de Parfum) by Aramis Impeccable by Aramis