New West for Him (1988) Skinscent

New West for Him (Skinscent) by Aramis

New West for Him (Skinscent) is a popular perfume by Aramis for men and was released in 1988. The scent is fresh-spicy. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Yves Tanguy

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Mugwort, Bergamot, Caraway, Lavender, Marine notes, Mint
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Jasmine, Coriander, Bay leaf, Pine, Juniper berry, Watermelon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Cedar

Submitted by Sani, last update on 04.06.2019

5.0 9.0 9.0 9.0/10

NasiGoreng
The caraway belongs in the base !!
Dear Parfumos!
Please excuse me, but here comes a comment that almost represents a copy of my comment on BOSS Bottled.
But in turn:
I had the scent already more often, because I like it very much - but only at the beginning!
It is a very very fresh scent (without aquatics), which immediately goes into your nose! The Sillage is top and also the durability is very good! Oh STOP!! Me Schussel! That was so BEFORE the reformulation - the one in the blue bottle...
I have to rate the above...
All right! Here again a tip from me: Use up quickly!!
I had a total of 3 vials (I still have one). And with everyone the same happened: it tilted very fast (and I don't mean "toppling over" here)!
The first one I thought to myself: okay - maybe wrong!? Thereupon the 2nd bottle fetched and also here: after approx. 6 months "tilted". I gave myself one more try and stored everything perfectly. But even then after 6 - 9 months: another "tilting"!!!
What's going on?
I have a suspicion: it's caraway here too!!
After some time (of storage - not of wearing) the caraway smell gets stronger and stronger, so that you can't use the scent anymore - at least I can't! The caraway becomes so penetrating and brutal that the rest is completely covered.
And for this reason he doesn't come into my house anymore - unfortunately!
Apparently caraway in a perfume is really only relatively short "durable"!?
Too bad actually...
8.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Breton Surrealism......
...or how a painter became a perfumer.
Yves Tanguy has been a well-known painter, whose paintings I like very much.
The images seem strange because on them often sea and sky, or landscape and sky merge, but the horizon is always clearly visible.
Often there are also objects rich in form or strange creatures cavorting in it.
But the colours in which these pictures are painted always remind us of a rather rough, cool climate in Brittany.
And "New West for Him" reflects this style of painting as a fragrance.
Cool, full of form, fascinating in its own way and sometimes slightly melancholic.
Strongly blowing sea wind is already noticeable in the "top note". Mugwort, caraway and lavender make you cool. Like spicy air on the beach with a cloudy sky.
When grasses and rushes bend and trees already "show" the wind direction, because they have grown "with it".
In the further course of the fragrance, this impression of a rough sea climate is reinforced by various "green" and "spicy" fragrance components.
Pine aroma and juniper berries can be clearly seen next to coriander and laurel.
Rain showers and spray, when the sea water is driven against rocks, are clearly in front of me as a picture.
When the sun comes out between the showers, it smells like in the "base notes" of "New West for Him".
Spicy woody, mossy and moist earthy-sandy when the wind turns and blows from the land seaward.
I can well imagine that Yves Tanguy had similar intentions as I describe them when he composed the fragrance.
He is "suspectable", but similarly mysterious and "opaque" as his pictures are.
And also almost "surrealistic", in a cool-bold way. silent way.
Only wind can be heard from afar and "figures" cavort between sky and sea.

Less helpful Review
I think I would rather wear Pine-Sol
No, no, no! I’m sorry, but New West is a dated, over-rated, muddled, choking mess. (I don’t give bad reviews to step on toes, but to give my honest opinion.) I like the smell of pine, but I think I would rather wear Pine-Sol than this. The only good thing about New West is the name. Where is my Excedrin?
6.0/10

Fresh masculine
This is an older review, so I apologize that I have not gone into a lot of details here. And I am unable to do so since I don't own that bottle anymore.

When I received it, at first it somewhat reminded me of Havana. But upon application I soon learned that this is different. And I'm glad it is!

After a few minutes of wearing this, I find this to be a very masculine fragrance without being too heavy. I think this holds itself perfectly against modern day creations. With these notes, it even stands out nicely amongst its modern 'rivals'.

So now we're further along and the heart notes have revealed themselves fully. As much as I like the opening, it's too bad it doesn't stay linear from that point on. This one is not for me. I really wanted to like it but after trying it a couple of times, I give up. It's difficult to really point out what it is that I don't like, but I just don't.
10.0 10.0 10.0/10

The mountain view aquatic
Aramis New West was launched in 1988 and it was one of the perfumes that made wearing american colognes cool. It was labelled “Aramis, Los Angeles, California”, not “Aramis, New York” and it was launched as the ultimate sporty, marine scent of California Coast. For the life of me I do not know why…? Probably because calone was just introduced in perfumery in the 80?s as the molecule that could put the ocean breeze in a bottle. The 80?s and 90?s are full of calone heavy fragrances like Kenzo Homme, L’Eau d’Issey, Cool Water and Dune. But with New West something went wrong. Or did it?

I still remember the first time I smelled New West: it was like a breeze of cold mountain wind slapping my face. Cool, abrasive and dense. The note pyramid lists everything but the kitchen sink: aldehydes, artemisia, lavender, sea notes (the star molecule of calone), mint, caraway, bergamot, pine tree, coriander, juniper berries, bay leaf, jasmine, watermelon (this was an aromachemical that got completely lost in the composition) , geranium, leather (what? vinyl maybe but who would put leather notes in an ocean breeze scent?), sandalwood, amber, patchouli, musk, oakmoss and cedar. In reality what dominates the opening is a bitter green accord of fir, juniper, pine and everything resinous. Everything seems swimming in a sea of green-ness. The classic geranium and bergamot notes are hanging form the branches of conifers and calone is there too but to my nose it never manages to smell like sea breeze. The ocean is never so green. Instead the air caressing my skin is the cold mountain air that ruffles fir branches and sweeps the snow. As development progresses the foliage becomes thicker and the scent more traditionally masculine.

After New West. perfumers seem to have mastered the use of calone. With experience came standardization and all the clean fresh scents flooded the market. which is not a bad thing. But I still haven’t found a crisper, more joyful fir tree scent. New West became extinct with some modest cult followers. In 2009 Aramis made an unusual but extremely intelligent decision to relaunch New West together with the other discontinued or semi-extinct gems like Havana, Devin, Tuscany and Aramis 900 in a new uniform bottle under the title “The Gentleman’s Collection”. It was a wise decision because prices for a Havana bottle on e-bay were sky rocketing. And every single one of those fragrances is still as unique as it used to be when we first smelled it. The new bottle is rather insignificant while the original was copied by Acqua di Parma for the Blu Mediterraneo line. Interestingly enough I remember having a sample of Blu Mediterraneo Cipresso di Toscana or Quercia Marina and I vaguely recall similarities.
Notes from my nose: fir, pine, juniper, bergamot, geranium, lavender, vinyl, mountain air
5.0 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Drseid
The Calone Haters' Aquatic...
Excellent scent from Aramis that is an aquatic for people who dislike aquatics. If calone were not listed in the top notes, I could easily see this as not the aquatic it is categorized as, but a lighter fresher summer version of the classic Aramis scent Havana. I'm getting top notes of citrus, with the calone not standing out in the least (a very good thing), then the top notes recede and spicy notes of bay leaf, nutmeg and rosemary emerge, combining with a natural smelling tobacco leaf (the same one I smell in Havana). If you are looking for a "non aquatic", aquatic that is outside the norm (or even just a great scent in general), New West for Him is absolutely worth a sniff, and in my opinion a buy. The perfect companion scent to Havana by the same company. 3.5 stars out of 5.

by Powershot
by Powershot
by Schmörkes
by Schmörkes
by NasiGoreng
by NasiGoreng

Popular Aramis

Aramis (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy Rose by Aramis Aramis 900 (Herbal Eau de Cologne) by Aramis Tuscany per Uomo / Etruscan (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Havana (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Devin (Country Eau de Cologne) by Aramis J•H•L (Custom Blended Cologne) by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy by Aramis New West for Him (Skinscent) by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy Saffron by Aramis Tuscany per Donna (Eau de Parfum) by Aramis Aramis Gentleman by Aramis New West for Her (Skinscent) by Aramis Aramis Black by Aramis Adventurer by Aramis Havana Reserva by Aramis Aramis Life (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Havana pour Elle (Eau de Parfum) by Aramis Impeccable by Aramis Cool Blend (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis