Tuscany per UomoEtruscan 1984Eau de Toilette

Tuscany per Uomo / Etruscan (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis
Tuscany per Uomo is a popular perfume by Aramis for men and was released in 1984. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Lavender, Lime, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesAniseed, Tarragon, Caraway, Orange blossom
Base Notes Base NotesBasil, Oakmoss, Leather, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Cinnamon

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.07.2020.

The scent was re-released in 2009.

Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago

„"Ma perché dovrei usare il profumo Tuscany per uomo?"”

(But why should I use the Tuscany perfume for Men?) More than thirty years ago (in my teens) I was wandering around Florence...
CoutureguruCoutureguru 8 years ago

„The murder of a classic”

"TUSCANY!!! Old friend ... what have they done to you??? Ripped your balls off ... that's what!!!!" In an article that I recently read, the writer...
Spring cleaning
"So smell the..." says Richie and holds out his arm So I'm a good little sniffle sniffle "I know him... Tuscany." Admittedly, the bottle stood next to him on the sideboard "Hammer," right? How they did it, half of Tuscany
to get in there. I smell the red tiles, like they're in the
Sunshine murmuring... the dust from Sienna at the horse races,
if some stupid designer scent would get lost.. ...never work out. What sagste?"
"Yeah, well...some southern-spicy sunshine kind of thing..." At that moment I first hear a strong scrubbing, followed by
and a lady from maybe two weeks ago fifty sticks his head in the room.
Red plaid bandana, jeans, butt in mouth.
"Degrees ma abaschen, Junge..." and already grazes the fag on Richie's stolen Pernod ashtray from Trocadero "When I'm through, I'll tell you something about your
Perfume there...", she adds. And there goes the scrubbing in the next room further.
"Geez," says Richie "Why? Who's that? What's she doing here"?
"Gee, I thought I knew My aunt. Only makes a little bit clean. And in the evening we have her famous potato salad..."
"You old macho. Can't you do it yourself? Do you need an aunt for?"
"I'll fix your golf for you. In itself, it's hard to do.
By the way, he easily has a hundred or more perfumes at home.
Lots of men's fragrances underneath. And he likes to hear himself talk.
Just you wait..."
And he was right. Namely, shortly afterwards, it's in the doorway supported by a scrubbing brush, and goes like this:
"Well, boys, you're talking a lot of nonsense..."
I was going to say, "Why you?" but I was wrong i don't know if you're married or not "But, Auntie, I was only..." Richie interjects meekly "Now listen to me... Well - after red bricks in the sun, there can
i can't even smell anything. Not even Palio. Or horses..."
"But it's called..."
"Hush! The name is of course only for the imagination. Stuff to
Associate. Because our brain needs some kind of trigger to make the
Classify fragrance. Works well. I have it at home myself, by the way.
In the old version, which is even more powerful, although he is quite good
was reformulated. Is a well done and almost unique
A blend of freshness, spice and dry, only hinted at bittersweetness. Rustic and charming in one. Paired with a hint of cosiness
in the form of clove and cinnamon seasoning. In the base come soft moss,
a fine leather touch and delicately hinted sweetness in addition. All perfectly blended. But the basic idea is... are you still listening to me?"
"Klaro!"
"...to use everything a little more eccentrically - fresh, citric notes
with aniseed, the spicy part with hearty spices like
Caraway and tarragon, but also with cuddly ones like clove and cinnamon
the principle is actually simple, just cleverly made -
Freshness and spice."
Richie looks really thoughtful now.
"So it's like sporks," he boldly charged "Maybe better sausages, right?" I dare say cautiously
to insert.
But this is not discussed at all.
"And "Tuscany" or "Etruscan" for a name," she goes on unswervingly,
"they only give the brain the framework for the necessary associative
Shortcut. Tuscany, sun, south, maybe even
Renaissance. Something like "D12b" wouldn't quite do it..."
"But what's wrong with a name like Number Five? That's where it's headed "...Richie's even braver now "Bullshit! That's Chanel No.5. The word "Chanel" loads the scent
the scent is practically Chanel. And from that you can create niches-
learn something younger with your designer bashing..."
"With respect, I'm not really such a..." I dare say But simply be ignored.
"A lot, if not most, of really great perfumes are made of
the linking and charging of a haute couture house, so
a designer image, created with a fragrance...", she lectured cheerfully
go on. "From Alaia to Balmain, Chanel, Dior, Givenchy, Hèrmes,
Jil Sander, Lacroix to Valentino or Schiaparelli, to name but a few
name. And by the way, of course, something like Comme des Garcons,
that you call "niche," a classic designer brand. Rei Kawakubo
with her mixture of art, haute couture and streetwear is a
Picture book designer.
"But designer fragrances have names," Richie bravely interjects "Sure, they often have name extensions, but they only serve as
Fantasy food. Offer the imagination even more
...fabric. Like Balmain Ebène, whom you so rightly admire.
Or all the others, whether "Paris" or "Poison" or "Boy" and like
they're all named. This is the only way to develop more products.
But the actual image, the myth, the stuff of dreams,
that comes from the designer's name..."
"What about Guerlain?" Richie dares to ask "Don't worry, I'll be there. Of course there are the pure
Scented houses. Guerlain, Caron, Lauder, for example. They must be
charge their perfumes differently, even with names. Where
of course with some of the house names themselves already to the image
has become. Especially when they are so wonderful and really
earth-shattering perfumes like the three I mentioned."
"Makes sense..." Richie says softly, looking as if he already has thinking about the potato salad "...and your beloved niche fragrances are usually nothing more than just
very small scented houses. Or better said - which with whole
poor distribution. You just can't find them anywhere. Exactly that means
Niche. Has nothing to do with quality. Rather with few possibilities Often also with little know how. "Man you smell so great
"bad distribution" could be said of many a salesman Because there's not much more."
"But Auntie, aren't you exaggerating a bit?" "Sure, kid, but let me have some fun too. Some do
just the rare thing about..."
"But there are such great niche fragrances!" Richie sounds almost outraged now Kind of a light weepy thing.
"I know you do, kid. Even some exceptionally good ones But also a lot of pseudo stuff, which only works because it is so expensive
is. Sounds paradoxical, but it is. Unfortunately, enough people fall for it all the time."
"Not us!"
"Of course not. Never. "But maybe I've at least got you now the stupid word "niche" is a little bit denatured... And here comes >br /> take her into the kitchen and help me make potato salad. You can do that you'll learn something too!"
And trudging resolutely out of the room.
"Tell me - how can she talk to us like that?" I whisper to Richie before we follow her into the kitchen "She can do it - she's just a fictional character, just like us..." "You're right, of course..."
The potato salad was really very good, by the way. Basically rhenish
in the base, with bacon and cucumber, but additionally with
Pieces of pineapple and finely grated Gruyère cheese.
Real niche quality!
wear permanently or often
i have always only been able to create fragrances that don't really have anything special or flamboyant about them, but are handmade and made from good ingredients. But we all also want to smell unusual, resp. different than others, that is left over from the animal kingdom due to evolution and serves to delimit us and at the same time to reveal.
This happens in today's free scented game often disproportionately or so exuberantly (motto much helps much) or abstractly and also artificially, so that finally the natural law described above leads involuntarily to a paradox. What I mean to say is that man/woman often stands in front of the shelf and says to himself: today I want to smell quite distinctly infernal superior and forget that, let everyone check it for themselves; only the persons/scents in the positive and also inevitably mysterious remain in one's memory, which have sublimely and delicately scented. The rest, the "infernal superior" smelled, has already revealed everything immediately and often even the wrong thing.
What all this has to do with Tuscany; now he's such a candidate, he doesn't pretend anything and he's not necessarily very straight either, he just smells good, I almost only like something like that anymore.
Clear is cinnamon (which I don't really like that much), one of its clearest notes, but completely unsweet and paired with a lot of clove (isoeugenol and eugenol) and bitter orange. It is nice that here a very gentle powder/talcum is subject, which prevents the speculative effect. As said before, hardly any great parts to smell, hardly any exuberant complexity without monothematic, but just a beautiful harmonious fragrance - that alone can seem very mysterious nowadays (see above)...

Carlitos01
"Ma perché dovrei usare il profumo Tuscany per uomo?"
(But why should I use the Tuscany perfume for Men?)

More than thirty years ago (in my teens) I was wandering around Florence and noticed a clergyman wearing a flawless clean white shirt, a fashionable cassock, and shiny Prada shoes. But what struck me the most was the scent he was spreading around him. I politely greeted him for his beautiful matching clothes and asked him what perfume he was wearing, because I found it particularly pleasing. He just answered me: - "Il profumo è l' americano Tuscany di Aramis; con questa fragranza puoi usare solo Prada" (The fragrance is the american "Tuscany" by Aramis; with this fragrance I can only use Prada).
A couple of days later I bought my first Tuscany flask and since then I only remember not owning this perfume for the lenght of two years, and after having used my last vintage bottle till the last drop. Currently I own and use the contemporary Aramis and still love it a lot.
Since then I returned to Italy a lot of times and I still have the same initial opinion: This fragrance celebrates the beauty of the Tuscan mesmerizing countryside.

The fragrance is quite manly. It does fit well in mid season to any elegant man - Autumn or Spring, day or night. It has got a wide weather latitude. It's also quite safe to use it in Summer nights and Winter days. It's a serious compliment magnet and a pleasure universal giver, both to men and women. It suggests a true impeccably dressed Italian gentleman, worthy of walking through the fashionable streets of Rome, Milan and Florence. It's a very alluring and sexy fragrance indeed!

The fragrance opens with a fantastic accord of different citrus notes (with a heavenly bergamot), blended with a memorable lavender worthy of being used in the most exquisite fougére perfumes.
The lavender does persist for the second phase where you notice a supreme aniseed note. I must emphasise that the blending quality remains very high all through all the scent evolution. The heart notes propose you also a magnific neroli / orange-blossom that takes over the initial citrus notes.
The bottom notes are all about a spicy basil (mandatory in any true Italian scent) sweetened by tonka and cinnamon. Those frontal notes are framed by the woody background of sandalwood, moss, earthy patchouli, and mainly, by one of the most clear-cut leather scents I have ever experienced. The woody and leather notes ensure the average persistence of the drydown. You won't get neither dark, nor animalic vibes.
Unfortunately this fragrance has only a common performance. The longevity stands up to 6~7 hours with 3 sprays, the sillage is about an arm lenght, and it projects for 2 hours. The 2009 reformulation kept the original potion ingredients but is quite watered down. Due to the Tuscany very competitive price, you may always respray at your own will.

Let's see the math for Tuscany:
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Scent opening: 10.0 (very very good - citrus and fougère)
- Scent drydown: 9.0 (very good - sweet woody clean leather)
- Longevity: 7.0 (less than 7 hours+ with 3 sprays)
- Sillage: 6.5 (up to 3.5 feet with 3 sprays; projects for 2 hours); You get a rewarding skin scent till the 6th~7th hour.
- Uniqueness: 9.5 (quite unique, very well blended, giving me some faint vibes of other fragrances, but similar to none; Tuscany per Uomo Forte EDP is out of this equation)
- Versatility: 9.0 (almost everywhere, but with better choices for clubbing and formal events. Don't use it while working out or in the beach)
- Wearability: 9.0 (high during Spring and Autumn,... quite adequate during Winter or Summer as well, but avoid extreme heat or cold).
- Compliments: 9.5 (It's a universal pleaser and a compliment magnet)
- Quality: 9.0 (my judgement - does not suggest even a small vibe of being cheap or synthetic. It does smell expensive; with a little better performance it would deserve a 10.0)
- Presentation: 8.0 (discrete but nice. Excellent cap and sprayer.)
- Price: 9.0 (100 ml non tester for 25 Euros + VAT)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Average: 8.68 / 10.00
- between 7 and 8 =above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recomended;
- bigger than 9 = don't miss it;

Advice: A fragrance from the 80's but quite pleasant and up to date. It does attract a lot of compliments and it seems to please everybody. It's almost inexpensive. The downside is the average performance of the current formulation. Nevertheless I do recommend it even with the new formulation!
Blind Buy advice - Yes please!

Music: Andrea Bocelli - "Con Te Partiro"

The Italian Gentleman
My signature scent in early 90s. Distinct, discreet, manly.
Excellent as all fragrances of the house Aramis / Estee Lauder. After reading a superb article about this gentleman scent, I could not resist and bought it already.
Certainly one of the best men's fragrances ever, something neglected by the signs of the times with these new repetitive fashion candy and aquatic scents. To my humble nose, the new formula does not differ from the vintage one. Notice that the shape of all bottles of 'Aramis Gentlemen's Collection' come from the design of the original classic bottle of this perfume.
I missed this old friend.

Azzaro pour Homme Countryside Edition
Assuming Tuscany has not been modified from its earlier version (dark red-striped box), it’s – or it was – a fantastic scent, another “cheapo” worth having. A simple, radiant, fresh-aromatic fougère full of flawless heritage elegance, cozy and warm like a balmy Sunday evening on the Tuscan hills. A brownish blend rich in woods, mossy notes, discreet yet lively spices, an aromatic herbaceous breeze with a whiff of “culinary” flavours and aniseed, a masculine bone-structure of lavender, citrus-bergamot, tobacco, all gently yet solidly rounded by a leathery-mossy base smelling of branches, grass, leaves. Autumn in a bottle, Mediterranean yet civilized, full of mannered, charming, quiet “country elegance”. Which is something that I realise it’s quite neglected in perfumery – we’ve Oriental scents, “urban” scents, minimalist stuff, gourmands, candies, yet almost no homages to retired businessmen riding their horse in their Tuscan estate. What I appreciate the most here and what I think makes Tuscany unique and so pleasant is a general feel of subtle, manly yet gentle warmth: the notes are all clean, discreet, cozy, incredibly solid but restrained at the same time. All smells “common” in a way, yet unique in the way it’s elaborated. By the way, I agree with the similarity to Azzaro, even if Tuscany smells a bit more round, "country" and gentle to me. Absolutely modern and versatile, probably unappealing to younger/trendier audiences, but that’s their problem...

8,5/10

The murder of a classic

In an article that I recently read, the writer alleged that in 2011, at least three new fragrances were launched EVERY SINGLE DAY. Small wonder then, that the market is filled with such anonymous crap!!
Instead, old and revered houses (like Lauder - yes ... you are also guilty as charged!!) reformulate! What was once a super sexy leatherbound giant of a fragrance has been reduced to a pup mewling at the teat! In their defense, Lauder's reformulations are generally very sympathetic. From the Gentlemen's Collection, Devin and 900 are still very good, if lacking a little in longevity. I never really cared for New West or Havana, but how in the hell did they F*K Tuscany up so badly??? It boggles the mind!!! I used to spray this of an evening to hit the clubs, boogie my ass off until the sun came up, go home, sleep and wake up with Tuscany only beginning to reach it's final phase of drydown. I tested it (liberally) some time ago and it disappeared from my skin in under 2 hours ... flat!!!
I am aware that "vintage" bottles of many beloved frags are still available all over Ebay - the point (at least for me) is that I shouldn't have to be ripped off to get what I so fondly remember. Another one bites the dust :o(.

KimJongKimJong 9 months ago
This can be considered the highest of the Masculin Fougeres. Delicate and noble version of Azzaro Homme.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
It suggests an impeccably dressed Italian gentleman, walking along a fashionable street in Rome, Milan or Florence. Very manly. Recommended!

by Zora
by Daljit
by Daljit
by MrNiceGuy
by MrNiceGuy
azzaro p.h. in einer light summer edition, passt immer.

Popular Aramis

Perfume Calligraphy Rose by Aramis Aramis Tobacco Reserve by Aramis Aramis 900 (Herbal Eau de Cologne) by Aramis J•H•L (Custom Blended Cologne) by Aramis Aramis (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Havana (Eau de Toilette) by Aramis Devin (Country Eau de Cologne) by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy by Aramis Perfume Calligraphy Saffron by Aramis New West for Him (Skinscent) by Aramis Aramis (After Shave) by Aramis Tuscany per Donna (Eau de Parfum) by Aramis Aramis Modern Leather by Aramis Havana Reserva by Aramis New West for Her (Skinscent) by Aramis Havana pour Elle (Eau de Parfum) by Aramis Impeccable by Aramis Aramis Gentleman by Aramis Aramis Voyager by Aramis Aramis Black by Aramis