Baikal Gris (2018)

Baikal Gris by Areej Le Doré

Baikal Gris is a new perfume by Areej Le Doré for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is woody-spicy. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesRussian fir balsam, Violet leaf, Indian ambergris
Heart Notes Heart NotesMysore sandalwood, Vanilla, Indian ambergris
Base Notes Base NotesTonka bean, Fossilized amber, Cypress, Cedarwood, Oakmoss, Nagarmotha

Submitted by Ravenous, last update on 20.10.2019

7.0 2.0 2.0 1.5/10

Disappointing
Another unbelievably stupid blind-buy. This was $200. I was suckered in by all the hype--talk of fine ingredients, real (damn-well better be!) ambergris, exclusivity. I have worn it a few times now, and I can not believe that with totally natural brands out there like Hiram Green and Velvet & Sweet Pea's Purrfumery that those don't get the hype that this stuff does...because they are far better perfumers.

Baikal Gris is a very dull fragrance. I don't mind low sillage, but this is so low that it hampers any potential complexity. It opens smelling dusty and with moderate notes of dry dirt road and some kind of spice, nothing like greenery, a lake, or real ambergris. After a bit I suppose there is a woody nuance to it, but it doesn't remind me anything of sandalwood. I have smelled lots of real sandalwood, from the wood itself to the various oils and even hydrosols. There's not enough of it here, if it's here at all. The heart of this fragrance smells annoyingly fruity on me. Not sweet, but it smells like mango perhaps. The drydown is so boring and flat. Vaguely sweet, synthetic musk perhaps?

The longevity isn't great. At the 3rd hour, I already felt the need to re-spray. Annoying when you have a 30ml bottle that cost $200!

Also I have seen/heard this in many reviews, but some say it smells synthetic. I agree. It actually gives me a headache (a personal indication of poor quality materials. Hiram Green and those other natural brands never do this to me, only perfumes with lots of synthetics). I just can't believe that a natural or mostly natural fragrance would give me a headache like this, and I also doubt that a blending of fine natural materials would smell this synthetic.

Where's the damn ambergris?!

I once spent a solid hour smelling Roja Dove fragrances at Bergdorf's. I was sure I would have a migraine after all that sniffing and spraying! My eyes became dry like a dry sponge. I never got a headache. This is the same reaction I have when smelling essential oils for an hour, and it's because a lot of plants are astringent. It will eventually affect you and start making your eyes feel dry and scratchy. I never get headaches from sniffing essential oils for an hour. So IDK what is in Baikal Gris, but it smells cheap to me. Maybe because this guy uses evil things like deer musk, real civet etc., people think he is a better perfumer than some of the perfumers I have mentioned. I think he needs to spend a lot more time studying.

At no point at all do I feel this reminds me of the famous lake, or any lake for that matter. It reminds me of the brown dirt path around a lake.

Yes, brown, this fragrance smells brown.

I need to sell this bottle. Contact me if you want to purchase it in the USA.

Edit: Just wanted to add that ambergris is a FIXATIVE. There is no excuse for this fading away after 3 hours. Hiram Green's fragrances contain no animal fixatives, and they are sillage bombs.
10.0/10

{Bei Karl}
The only one from the Mega Very Exclusive series, who somehow, in a certain way, comes across as synthetic; so initially.
Initially and a little longer beyond that; I gave two identical twin fragrances, and now you're probably wondering how I did it. Well.

An untrained nose would perhaps say: MediaMarkt plastic bag, so from the inside, if you open it right now; but that is of course complete nonsense, but nice.
Synthetic is of course most likely not in it at all, so what is this silly association, THE ONLY MIR SO?
Okay, you can't answer, because you certainly never had/have/will have this high carat under your nose; don't worry about it, you don't stick any stickers on a Porsche. (They are in this case the sticker)

Anyway, as soon as you have read Maggy4u's comment, you feel the same way as him, because you want to smell it the same way, and he can't even smell it explicitly, and if he can't do that, you don't even need to try it out, every child knows that here yes.

However, one question remains: If they already pay homage to a lake with this scent, why don't they produce a whole lake of it? I'd lay myself in it, paddle, swim, snorkel, and then drink it off completely.
9.0 5.0 7.0 8.0/10

Baikal
Areej le Dore creates only limited editions. Once the amount of perfume oil once mixed has been used up, all the ingredients in their rare uniqueness are completely used up. The scent never comes back. A very absolute form of shortage. But also always an experience. Olfactory. Clearly beyond the actual collector's value of the flacons. Probably one of the best definitions for niche.

Baikal Gris is the successor of the beautiful Atlantic Ambergris. Here as representatives of the fourth
Season of the Parfumhaus.

Baikal Gris is a tribute to Lake Baikal, the deepest freshwater lake on earth. A poem on the manufacturer's page tells of sleeping Baikal. Its beauty and the scent of resting water surrounded by the scent of conifers. And, yes, the warm green tones of wood, resin and fir green are perceptible away.

But above all is this beautiful, natural amber note. Although it is supposed to be the grey Indian amber, it radiates warm, lively, amber-coloured into my mind when inhaled. Magic colors. Add to that one of the most beautiful sandalwoods I've ever smelled. Everything's "working" towards the amber. Supports its sparkle and colors.

This scent also doesn't really have a pyramid (,as stated). Every chord is there all the time in one way or another. Here again it is noticeable that the scent with skin warmth really lives and takes its space.

With light wood and oak moss, the fragrance concludes its dance on my skin after a good 8 hours. Exudes an ethereal warmth. With every heartbeat, the waves of Baikal before your eyes.

Who slowly goes back to sleep.

by Djdani
by Djdani
by Ustad
by Ustad

Popular Areej Le Doré

Oud Luwak by Areej Le Doré Baikal Gris by Areej Le Doré Russian Musk (Extrait de Parfum) by Areej Le Doré Inverno Russo by Areej Le Doré Koh-i-Noor by Areej Le Doré Atlantic Ambergris by Areej Le Doré Siberian Musk by Areej Le Doré Oud Picante by Areej Le Doré Malik Al Taif by Areej Le Doré Flux de Fleur by Areej Le Doré Russian Oud (Extrait de Parfum) by Areej Le Doré Indolis by Areej Le Doré Ottoman Empire by Areej Le Doré Oud Zen by Areej Le Doré Walimah (Extrait de Parfum) by Areej Le Doré Antiquity by Areej Le Doré War and Peace by Areej Le Doré Walimah Attar by Areej Le Doré Siberian Summer by Areej Le Doré Plumeria de Orris by Areej Le Doré