L'Etrog (2011)

L'Etrog by Arquiste

L'Etrog is a perfume by Arquiste for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is citrusy-fruity. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCalabrian citron, Calabrian bergamot, Sicilian lemon, Myrtle
Heart Notes Heart NotesTurkish date, North African jasmine, Pistachio tree resin
Base Notes Base NotesVetiver, Patchouli, Lebanon cedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 16.04.2019

5.0 5.0/10

Nice, classy citrus
Highly aromatic citrus with green/woody nuances. Opens with massive, juicy lemon/citron, somewhat like Allure EB and for quite a while remains just that. It gets subtly sweeter as the date comes in, followed by a nice clean vetiver. Pretty simple, quality "cologne"; soft, fresh, safe.
5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Reminds me of Histoires de Parfums 1873
I've worn Arquiste L'ETROG several times now, having acquired a small bottle from OpenSky for the third round of Chandler Burr's Untitled series. From the beginning, this perfume reminded me of Histoires de Parfums 1873 (Colette), and even now, knowing that it is not the same, I cannot wear L'ETROG without thinking immediately of 1873.

It must be the combination of grapefruit (listed here as citron, but to me it smells just like grapefruit!), including juice and peel, with a candied sweetness, imparted here by dates, there by caramel, which is causing the association in my mind. I find the quality of the two compositions to be on a par--this really does smell "niche", if that means anything--and I might consider adding a bottle of L'ETROG to my collection if I did not already have one of 1873. Even in a side-by-side comparison (before the reveal), I managed to convince myself that the difference I was smelling was due to batch variations!

This is nice, no doubt, but not compelling for me. It's a somewhat quirky cologne which moves toward the gourmand realm without quite going all the way. This sort of composition really defies categorization, and I only encountered it twice before: in 1873 and in Bond no 9 CONEY ISLAND. I consider these three perfumes all to be "event" or "novelty" scents, not something with any obviously appropriate applications, but which are enjoyable nonetheless to wear.

L'ETROG is a fine introduction to the house of Arquiste, and I'm sure that I'll be exploring the offerings of this line further...

Popular Arquiste

Anima Dulcis by Arquiste Aleksandr by Arquiste Nanban by Arquiste Flor y Canto by Arquiste L'Etrog by Arquiste Infanta en Flor by Arquiste Fleur de Louis by Arquiste The Architects Club by Arquiste Boutonnière N° 7 by Arquiste Él by Arquiste Ella by Arquiste L'Etrog Acqua by Arquiste Sydney Rock Pool by Arquiste No. 57 by Arquiste Esencia de El Palacio - Limoneros by Arquiste Esencia de El Palacio - Guayabos by Arquiste No. 31 by Arquiste Esencia de El Palacio - Magnolios by Arquiste Esencia de El Palacio - Azahares by Arquiste Esencia de El Palacio - Vetiveres by Arquiste