Ambre Nue by Atelier Cologne

Ambre Nue is a perfume by Atelier Cologne for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is spicy-sweet. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Ralf Schwieger

Top Notes Top NotesGreen mandarin, Sicilian bergamot, Egyptian marigold
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrchid nigritella rubra, Ceylonese cinnamon, Thai benzoin
Base Notes Base NotesSpanish labdanum, Amber, Brazilian tonka bean

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 11.03.2019

LicoriceRain
Same drydown as Invictus, pure amber.
Whatever notes compose Ambre Nue, after that opening blast (Is that benzoin?), it smells like pure amber to me. This would work if I were a fan of amber, but I’m not. Amber smells cheap (common) to me, unless well-blended with other notes. This is why I don’t care for Invictus, either, that same amber drydown. I can certainly appreciate Ambre Nue, but I definitely won’t be wearing it very often; maybe on the weekend, around the house.
8.0/10

A Breath of Sunshine
If you try hard, you can smell the separate components in Ambre Nue -- orange, ambergesis, and cinnamon. However, they combine in such a way that you really don't want to -- you just want to inhale and be bathed in the warm, slightly spicy, fresh scent that envelops you. It's interesting how these facets combine here; the fragrance is never more citrusy than warm; the spice is never overmuch. The orange essence is the wispy, dandelion-flower brush against your nostrils, while the cinnamon and ambergesis form the middle. It's blended well, although some may dislike the linearity of the scent. What you smell in the first fifteen is what you smell like all day. I've tried several of Atelier Cologne's fragrances and this was the clear winner, with Oolang Infinity a distant second. Based on the various experiences others have had, I recommend a sample first. Lasts at least twelve hours, as a skin scent after probably ten; does not survive until the next day.

Warm, spicy floral
Ambre Nue is a floral spicy one for sure!

In the opening I get a very real fresh Mandarin and floral Marigold... it's a very authentic orange fruity note, and it hit's you straight away.

I would describe this as a very warm scent. It certainly has a warmth to it and a spiciness which is really pleasant and uplifting (hot, fiery Cinnamon). The Amber note itself is the Labdanum, but it's the Benzoin, Tonka Bean and Patchoulli that make this a dark and heavy scent. It has a cologne like citrus opening (Bergamot and Mandarin), but once the heavy resins and spices show up it becomes a very dark, Ambery skin scent. The most satisfying creation I've tried from Atelier Cologne. Worth a try for sure!
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Brownest fragrance
Unfortunately I could not write such professional review as the previous commenter, lacking the talent and the knowledge of English, but I have to summarize somehow what kind of fragrance the AMBRE NUE is.

First time when I donned it, I was quite sure that I will never have the AMBRE NUE on my shelf, because I believed that it is a male parfume. After a half hour I was quite sad about this fact, and actually I just bought the full bottle. The reason was the unique, strong fragrance what came out from my skin. It is totally an eatable scent, creamy, dark and the amber is mixed with a bitter aroma. Take care, after a half year, after one year it will be more bitter than at the beginning.
I found out, that if I put it again on my skin 2-3 hours after the first donning, then the fragrance will stay with me at least 24 hours, but in the last 12-16 hours it will be almost a black coffee scent.

I recommend it before difficult negotiations, it can increase drastically the self-confidence.
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Fully Clothed Amber
The house of Atelier Cologne had a great idea when they decided to offer a Collection Voyage coffret of purse sprays of seven of their perfumes for a reasonable price (= about the same price per milliliter as their bottles). This sort of set-up makes it possible to really acquaint oneself with a variety of the house's perfumes rather than precipitously buying full bottles or unduly dismissing excellent creations based on a cursory sniff. AMBRE NUE might have fallen into the latter hapless group, had I sampled it only from a tiny vial on only one occasion.

I say this because my view on this composition has dramatically improved since the first time I donned it. It might be that the weather matters a lot, and it's true that I really only wear amber in cooler, preferably cold temperatures. What happened with AMBRE NUE is that the spiciness has finally come through and been processed my nose. Now it seems to me that this is not at all a naked amber, which would be a better name for something like L'Artisan Parfumeur L'AMBRE or Prada L'EAU AMBREE.

Atelier Cologne AMBRE NUE, in contrast to those other, truly naked ambers, has a lot of extra-amber activity going on, above all spices! The cinnamon is especially marked, and together with the marigold and orchid this ends up smelling very far from naked. At the same time, there is a hefty dose of amber on display, so labdanum amber addicts should be able to find lots to love here, although purists will perhaps be put-off by what they may take to be the distracting spiciness.

In the end, AMBRE NUE turns out to be a unique and spicy oriental perfume with a strong amber base. I like this very much and surmise that the middling ratings it has received are a result of dashed expectations. This is not, to reiterate, a naked amber at all. Instead, it is a fine ambroriental perfume. To me, it seems more feminine than masculine, but guys who like spicy orientals make take to this as well. AMBRE NUE is certainly not sweet, and although vanillin often figures in amber compositions, I do not smell it here as an independent note. What I do smell is a lot of cinnamon and marigold. The longevity is good, as one would expect given the substantial amber base.

Discussions about Ambre Nue

Flaconneur in Perfumes & Brands

by KianJafari
by KianJafari
Einfach: Amber . nichts mehr!
by TomLavender
by MaryPoppins
by MaryPoppins

Popular Atelier Cologne

Orange Sanguine by Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensée by Atelier Cologne Vétiver Fatal by Atelier Cologne Grand Néroli by Atelier Cologne Trèfle Pur by Atelier Cologne Cédrat Enivrant by Atelier Cologne Oolang Infini by Atelier Cologne Pomélo Paradis by Atelier Cologne Silver Iris by Atelier Cologne Rose Anonyme (Cologne Absolue) by Atelier Cologne Gold Leather by Atelier Cologne Bois Blonds by Atelier Cologne Ambre Nue by Atelier Cologne Mistral Patchouli by Atelier Cologne Santal Carmin by Atelier Cologne Bergamote Soleil by Atelier Cologne Oud Saphir by Atelier Cologne Café Tuberosa by Atelier Cologne Tobacco Nuit by Atelier Cologne Sous Le Toit de Paris by Atelier Cologne