Bois Blonds (2010)

Bois Blonds by Atelier Cologne
Bois Blonds is a perfume by Atelier Cologne for women and men and was released in 2010. The scent is fresh-woody. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesTunisian neroli, Calabrian bergamot, Paraguayan petigrain
Heart Notes Heart NotesMorrocan orange blossom, Chinese pink pepper, African frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesBlond woods, Musk, Haitian vetiver

Submitted by DeGe53, last update on 14.06.2018

Modern "eau de cologne"
An interesting scent; not sure if a “beautiful” one, but interesting. And surely well crafted regardless of personal tastes. First of all, I enjoy the subtle sharp discreetness of Bois Blond; it’s not a thin or unsubstantial scent, on the contrary it is rather thick actually; but at the same time it smells weightless and unobtrusive. It suprises me how it smells powerful and sharp if you get close to it, yet almost unperceivable sillage-wise. Then, it has indeed a “woodier-than-wood” soul, but with a really peculiar and nondescript sort of peppery-watery twist. It’s pungent on one side, but extremely smooth on the other. In a way, just to give some idea about how it smells, it’s an (apparently!) quite conventional woody-to-the-bone scent with fresh and herbal hints, showing some solid roots into the classic masculine fresh “eau de colognes” family – Eau Sauvage, Monsieur Rochas, Signoricci. Sharp pepper-juniper, some citrus, something musky on the base, and a ton of raw, slightly wet, salty wood – both vetiver and cedar. Actually apart from the abovementioned classic colognes, initially for some reasons this reminds also – and somehow, more specifically – of Nina Ricci Phileas from the 1970’s: like a sort of clever, contemporary “synthesis” of some of its essential features. Most of all I get here the same slight yet quite peculiar rusty-metallic-musky-herbal-watery nuance which I get in Phileas too. I am not saying they smell similar; rather, they share that specific and quite unusual feature, which makes Bois Blond particularly enjoyable. It smells classic, slightly exotic in a sort of “vintage” meaning, but with a definite contemporary look. Plus, it has at least a couple of unusual traits which make it distinctive enough: a whiff of licorice (due to vetiver I think, like in vintage Etro Vetiver, which is another reference that came to my mind especially for the drydown) and an overall peculiar “thick-yet-weightless” texture making it light enough to be elegantly discreet, but also keeping a sharp personality. It isn’t the most creative or groundbreaking scent around but it’s definitely solid and worthy a sniff for me.

7-7,5/10
Scent 5.0/10
A Honeysuckle Yatagan
I had no idea what to expect from Bois Blonds; the name did nothing for me. What I received was an aromatic honeysuckle -- both vine and flower -- plus spices. Silage is about a foot, and the spices do not dominate, at first. However, my skin amps spices, and within an hour, I can no longer wear the scent. It has become Yatagan, and I have to wash it off. No, I am not a scent wuss, but I cannot handle feeling like I am choking and have bronchitis. Atelier never fails to disappoint with olfactory ingenuity, but unfortunately, they are not as creative in choosing their peppers. (I can wear scents like Memoir Man, which also uses pepper, but neither Yatagan or this scent, and Oolang Infini is hit-and-miss).
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 4.0/10
Tar
End of the way
I find this fragrance really fresh, a bit smoky, salty, seawater-like, and masculine. I envision a road that ends at the beach of the ocean.

I have bought it in a miniature pack, and that was a bad decision.
Unfortunately I have to tell, that quality of miniatures and full big bottles differ, only smaller original samples contain the same quality as FB, the 20% absolue spray. But even if the quality would be absolutely fine, I would not longing for this fragrance, since I am not fond of fresh scents.
Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 3.0/10
Aromachemicalish Woods
I've worn Atelier Cologne BOIS BLONDS several times, and it's time to face the fact: I dislike this frag. It does not smell like woods to me. It smells like a cross between aromachemicals and some sort of institutional air freshener. The kind that expels mist at periodic intervals to mask the odors of the general public flowing through the place, some of whom overslept and ran out of the house before they could bathe.

This is a good example of a case where I had enough of the fragrance to feel that I really have done it justice. I've reached a plateau, and I'm afraid that it lies rather low. I've worn about half my purse spray, and each time I've had the urge to cover this scent with something else, as I intend to do right now. I even wrote notes about my prior wears before penning this review. Comparing notes, I found more or less the same reaction each time.

I offer a rousing chorus of "try before you buy!" for BOIS BLONDS.
Clean, fresh, and woody.
I love the clean freshness I get here from the orange blossom and vetiver. But in the top notes I'm also picking up a certain ashy note that disagrees with my nose, but thankfully disappears and I'm left with a light blond woody essence slightly sweetened. Bois Blonds changes throughout the wearing but remains fresh from start to finish.

• by Gaukeleya by Gaukeleya
  • No chicken - only wood! by TomLavender

Popular Atelier Cologne

Orange Sanguine by Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensée by Atelier Cologne Vétiver Fatal by Atelier Cologne Grand Néroli by Atelier Cologne Trèfle Pur by Atelier Cologne Cédrat Enivrant by Atelier Cologne Oolang Infini by Atelier Cologne Pomélo Paradis by Atelier Cologne Silver Iris by Atelier Cologne Gold Leather by Atelier Cologne Bois Blonds by Atelier Cologne Rose Anonyme (Cologne Absolue) by Atelier Cologne Ambre Nue by Atelier Cologne Mistral Patchouli by Atelier Cologne Santal Carmin by Atelier Cologne Bergamote Soleil by Atelier Cologne Sous Le Toit de Paris by Atelier Cologne Tobacco Nuit by Atelier Cologne Oud Saphir by Atelier Cologne Café Tuberosa by Atelier Cologne