Clémentine California (2016)

Clémentine California by Atelier Cologne

Clémentine California is a perfume by Atelier Cologne for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesCalifornian clementine, Macedonian juniper berry, Italian mandarin
Heart Notes Heart NotesChinese star aniseed, Chinese sichuan pepper, Egyptian Basil
Base Notes Base NotesHaitian vetiver, New Caledonian sandalwood, French cypress

Submitted by Michael, last update on 03.01.2019

6.0 6.0 7.0 9.0/10

Love the citrus for Spring and Summer
I really love this fragrance. It has a blast of Neroli and the freshness is very pleasant. However, I wish this had more longevity but since I adore this fragrance I will carry a decant to respray throughout the day.
8.0 5.0 5.0 2.0/10

PBullFriend
Atelier goes to the dark side! :(
I bought a mini of Clementine California, rather than waiting to go to Sephora to try it first, because I've liked everything I've tried of this brand. Likewise, when I put it on for the first time, I splashed on quite a bit, as I've done with other Atelier scents. From such hubris does a person get a headache!

This is the first of their line that I've hated. I can barely detect the citrus here, and what I do detect has none of the playful juiciness of clementine or mandarin. It's surrounded by horrible, pointy, synthetic clouds of sandalwood and pepper, bringing it closer in spirit to space-age plastic scents like Calvin Klein Reveal than to its citrusy peers in the Atelier line.

Coming to its page on Parfumo, I can see the possible reason behind this: Atelier Cologne sold out to L'Oreal in 2016, the same year CC was released. Either the perfumers were trying to catch L'Oreal's attention with a product compatible for their department store lines, or perhaps it was L'Oreal's people writing the briefs for this one. L'Oreal has been buying up many perfume companies in the last few years, and I'm unaware of any that were improved by their leadership. L'Oreal is also one of the few companies left that seems unapologetic about animal testing. While other companies were at least trying to phase it out, I've never heard anything from L'Oreal that shows any concern at all for the rats, rabbits, and other poor creatures whom they will mutilate and burn with overdoses of their products. I must be more careful about checking ownership of companies because, as this experience shows, it's not always obvious whether an animal-torturing company owns a particular brand.

Thank goodness this is fading somewhat after an hour, as is my headache. I'm still going to take a shower and wash myself free of it--literally and metaphorically.

Einen lieben Gruss an alle Parfumos von der Clementine aus California! :-))
Clementine California von Atelier Cologne

Popular Atelier Cologne

Orange Sanguine by Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensée by Atelier Cologne Vétiver Fatal by Atelier Cologne Grand Néroli by Atelier Cologne Trèfle Pur by Atelier Cologne Cédrat Enivrant by Atelier Cologne Oolang Infini by Atelier Cologne Pomélo Paradis by Atelier Cologne Silver Iris by Atelier Cologne Rose Anonyme (Cologne Absolue) by Atelier Cologne Gold Leather by Atelier Cologne Bois Blonds by Atelier Cologne Ambre Nue by Atelier Cologne Mistral Patchouli by Atelier Cologne Santal Carmin by Atelier Cologne Bergamote Soleil by Atelier Cologne Oud Saphir by Atelier Cologne Café Tuberosa by Atelier Cologne Tobacco Nuit by Atelier Cologne Sous Le Toit de Paris by Atelier Cologne