Clémentine California 2016

Clémentine California by Atelier Cologne
Clémentine California is a perfume by Atelier Cologne for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It is being marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation

CitronCitron
MintMint
Provençal cypress
Italian clementineItalian clementine
Turkish juniper berry
Haitian vetiverHaitian vetiver

Submitted by Michael, last update on 11.10.2021.

The Gentle Side of Orange County for Always and Everywhere
There are a few fragrance houses, I can not help but test everything that is newly packed into the shelf, whether it fits the Beuteschema or not. I don't want to say that I'm a fan boy regarding Atelier Cologne, but the brand has done it to me and most fragrances have something, although many do not necessarily fit me. But after I already fell for "Eau de Mandarine Ambrée" by Hermès against all expectations, all my antennas went up with "Clémentine California". But what does the name mean to me? A reminiscence of the times of more than 70 years ago, when Southern California was still famous for its citrus plantations? Capturing a lifestyle in an L.A. neighborhood for those who can't afford Malibu, Long Beach or Beverly Hills? Fortunately, I can shake all those ideas from the marketing department good and fast.

In front of me the usual 200ml brick with the nicely rounded corners and edges. Is actually nix particularly to it, but I have the bottle damn gladly in the hand, a real Handschmeichler. SHE claims I always look so in love when I hold the bottle in my hand. Jealousy! The light blue band harmonizes well with the burgundy leather button and the clear, just slightly yellowish liquid. The white cardboard is as wonderfully unpretentious as the brightly printed slipcase is unnecessarily overloaded with street cruisers, movie flaps, clementines, and other odds and ends. Box in the depot, bottle on the shelf.

A very fine spray from the high-quality atomizer and already the fragrance lives up to its name. So, if you now delete the "California" from the name. I was already two times in California, but there are now no memories awaken. Instead, orange citrus galore. No other citrus fruits are thrown into the punch bowl because they have to go or they would round off the potpourri, it's really clementine and mandarin pure, maybe with hints of blood oranges, but that's it. Delicious is this accord, very delicious. And also pleasantly fruity and juicy, without sour, citrusy notes spoiling the fun. This impression settles with time and slightly green, sometimes tingling, sometimes a bit bitter notes are added, softened by warm and soft woody tones. The green and bitter fades again with time, the fruit and the wood remain. Until the end.

And that's just as well! There is nix worse, than a fragrance, in which the nominally named main property prematurely makes the exit! No, the fruitiness remains and that even over a long office day. For 12-14 hours, I perceive "Clémentine California" well without it becoming overpowering at the beginning. The silage remains at a pleasant level, significantly more than the now standard arm's length, yet the scent does not become room filling or even penetrating. Devilish, how did they manage that and all the other companies barely manage that anymore?

I'm talking about a fruity, slightly sweet, but not too sticky-sweet, soft fragrance, which without colorful floral notes yet has a slightly floral touch. Sounds very feminine at first. But through its woody notes, this is somewhat dampened and the fragrance gives a very strong summer impression, so that it again does not look out of place on a man. Now summer does not mean leisure, the fragrance also fits very well in the office. I've also worn the scent a lot in winter, it fits perfectly there too, maybe because clementine goes hand in hand with Advent in our house. "Clémentine California" is a unisex fragrance par excellence, for always and everywhere - I could not yet think of any situation in which the fragrance would not have fit.

Who stands on orange citrus fragrances, which should test "Clémentine California" in any case, which goes always and everywhere. Initially, I still had serious concerns about how I should ever get the 200ml empty. Meanwhile, I wonder if I still have to get this year a new Pulle.
DonJuanDeCat
Cats do not like tangerines
Hello snoopers and welcome to a new commentary from me. Today it's about a summery fragrance by Atelier Cologne, a brand I personally think is pretty great. Bergamot Soleil, Orange Sanguine, Grand Neroli or Pomelo Paradis are all quite worth trying summer scents. And now I come to Clementine California, a fragrance that also sounds quite delicious.

I mean, who doesn't like tangerines and various types of tangerines? Alright, my cat didn't like them. He rather declared war on the fruits all the time, hurled them out of the fruit bowl and rolled them around until he accidentally got stuck with his claw on the skin of the fruits and almost had to throw up due to the escaping citrusy scent... :D
He has since sadly passed away and will always be well remembered, but if he was still alive I doubt he would have still chased the fruit as he had become increasingly lazy (and fatter) with age (apart from mice which he ALWAYS chased!), or maybe he would have learnt though that the citrusy fruit could fight back with citrusy juices and would then have left them alone, who knows!!! :D
Oh well, we will all miss Haydut (that was his name, which by the way meant crook :D) very much!

Anyway, for me, these fruits are not only delicious but extremely refreshing as a fragrance especially on hot summer days (even though I'm not exactly a fan of orange juices as they give me heartburn). Therefore, I'm always happy to try new citrus scents, especially just with tangerines and oranges. Therefore, let's see how the fragrance smells here so!

The fragrance:
The fragrance starts with a creamy (and of course also slightly citrusy) smelling tangerine, which also has a nice sweet scent and thus comes across quite delicious. Juniper you can still smell good, for the other fragrances you have to smell then already more precisely, or sniff closer to the sprayed place. Then you also perceive things like kitchen herbs, just the specified basil, which in my opinion always goes well with summery-citrus scents.
Even later, the scent remains citrusy-acidic and creamy-soft. Most of the other fragrance notes that are given here, you can continue to smell out not very good, because they just radiate too weak, but that does not matter, because the fragrance smells even so just very good.
Also in the base, the fragrance remains as described, so that you always have a nice scent in the nose. Only in the late base you smell only a sour orange, which no longer smells soo good, but until then you can refresh the fragrance yes again.

The sillage and the durability:
The sillage is quite okay. Surprisingly, it is (compared to other summer fragrances) not very weak, as one is used to it otherwise from many citrusy fragrances, so that you already have a lot of the fragrance, which I find super!
The durability is pretty good, the scent remains ten hours and more on the skin, although the scent so some hours in he late base as described only smells like an orange.

The bottle:
The bottle is rectangular, but with strongly rounded corners. It closes with a chrome cylindrical lid with a dark red leather sleeve. The label is turquoise and runs from the front to the back and is patterned. All in all, it's a beautiful bottle.

Conclusion:
Soo, that was Clêmentine California. Hm, most find this fragrance rather moderate to okay, I however like it very much. He is fresh, smells nice and is as appropriate for the summer. In addition, he has such a "good mood" charisma. So he belongs for me anyway to the beautiful Atelier Cologne fragrances that you can use every day.

I'm not sure if you'll like the fragrance here or if you see it as just another average citrus scent, but it might be worth a test, especially if you're looking for something simple but nice for summer. But if you're suffering from the heatwave like me and find temperatures above 30 degrees just exhausting, then I recommend even zippier scents, like Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès, which has always done me a world of good in the summer. Oh yes, the Hermès was particularly cruel to my hangover, but still he has so bravely endured some citrus scents (and bitten me afterwards or given me ne Backpfeife :D).

And that's it again from me for today. Have all a nice evening and see you :)
A touch of California in the middle of New York
It was a little more than 4 years ago when I entered a Sephora store in the middle of Manhattan to get rid of my remaining dollars before I had to fly back to Germany. I strolled through the aisles to find something that was not available in Germany.

After I had already put a few lipsticks in the shopping basket, I passed a stand with travel-size perfumes just before the checkout and this beautiful turquoise packaging caught my eye (turquoise is my favorite color). The name was promising: Clementine California.

Perfect - I thought! I love California and clementines! Immediately, I had an idea of the scent in my head. I grabbed the tester, sprayed the perfume on my arm and immediately this wonderful scent cloud of freshly squeezed clementines entered my nose. Instantly, I was transported from rainy NYC to sunny California. I was on a luxurious summer vacation at the beach and in shock infatuation. This was the perfume I had unknowingly been searching for for ages. It's the perfect summer scent - fresh, tangerine, sweet-tart, light with a slight earthy note in the base.

Immediately I went in search of a larger bottle of the perfume, but unfortunately this was not available. So I bought only once the Travel Size and left the store delighted in the joy of something special to have found.

Back in Germany, I then went in search of this fragrance. Atelier Cologne I had never heard before and online searches and visits to the usual suspicious perfume shops were initially unsuccessful. I also had no idea about niche fragrances and where to get them. Until one fine day in the MyZeil Shopping Center I passed a perfumery that offered only niche fragrances.

Full of hope I entered the store and found full of joy a shelf with a large collection of Atelier Cologne fragrances. There it was at last, my 100ml bottle of Clementine California! Since then, I can't imagine summer without this fragrance as my signature scent. No other citrus scent comes close to it - and I have already tested several. Yes, the longevity and sillage aren't outstanding, but that doesn't detract from this heavenly scent that gives me a real happy feeling in the morning. I hope it will be available for a long time, even if it is really not easy to get it in Germany.
SammySam
Not the tangerine I was expecting!
Bought it blind because the description was just so delicious. Beautiful ripened tangerines from California pure from nature and and and... Thought me also with the fragrance notes, that can me eigt only like, because I love natural smelling fragrances, whether feminine or masculine.
Had to disappoint me unfortunately :/
It smells like everything, but not as described. Namely after beautiful tangerines, I smell the tangerine very far in the background. It smells very synthetic and not as natural as expected. Rather like a women's fragrance, which one has already smelled iwo iwie times, nothing special.
Conclusion: Anyone who expects here a natural fresh fragrance with beautiful tangerines, which will be disappointed.
Nevertheless, it is in itself quite a cool fragrance, but nothing special, with a shelf life that is quite ok :)
BasilTonic
Super opening, somewhat disappointing drydown
First impression: The title says it all. I find the opening really, really good. Super natural-looking clementines / tangerines that come across "green". Can not keep them apart, but makes total fun. However, this becomes too mushy-synthetic for me after only about 45 min. So kinda just the opposite of what was so fun in the opening. H/S Max. Mediocre
Hollywood in Hollywatt
Atelier Cologne always adds beautiful postcards to its specimens, which reflect the fragrance.

Here the flair of Hollywood is photographed, because besides numerous bright orange clementines and mandarins I see several film accessories like film reel, the famous " flap " and greeting cards from Hollywood.

The illusory world of the " Movies " is my world.

With pleasure I accompanied the friend to shootings, where you can indulge your fantasy with impunity.

Sometimes the good man turned into a king, sometimes into a murderer, sometimes into a fiery lover.
A vibrant, multi-faceted profession my friend had chosen.

There were also strange moments when the "king" did not manage to get on his horse or the "lover" pushed his teeth roughly in front of the "lover's" teeth - and both left the stage whining.
Yes - there was also laughter.

And cheerful and lively is also the fragrance.
Tangerines and clementines roll towards me, sour and yet citric - sweet, but not cute.
The pepper appears unscratched and California gets élan.
Vetiver grounds the fragrance - as does the calm cypress scent.
Sandalwood nestles this sunny scent on the skin.

I enjoyed watching this cheerful film - and my home town of Wattenscheid becomes Hollywatt.

By the way, this is the birthplace of James Bond - which gives my town a certain thrill.

What's it called?
The pot is boiling.

Counting sheep. (default)
Because many had asked: "Frau Holle, how do I actually get to sleep best", here again a precise explanation for everyone how to do it right, and in the end everyone finds his well-deserved rest: Counting sheep.

First of all, stop worrying about it. About gifts, about strange scents, or about Advent calendars where the right thing was not inside. This must end now. Be open to new thoughts, namely thoughts about sheep.
Why sheep. Well, the answer is easy, and anyone can answer it for themselves, sheep are jumping animals, or have you ever seen a snake, an elephant, or even a whale jump? No.

For the right introduction to the world of restful sleep, it is important that you first of all get an imaginary picture of the landscape scenery in your head (Bob Ross has many nice suggestions and whole thought templates there).
Maybe a meadow, a few flowers, unspectacular flowers, not too much ballyhoo.
Further back a clearing and a conservation, no matter in which order, and now, the most important thing:
A picket fence
Wire mesh fences or walls are often imagined to be too high or too spiky, so that the animals get entangled in them too often (painfully) or do not make it over the obstacle at all.
This is then neither beneficial for the animal nor for your sleep.

Once the hunter's fence has really thought its way into the picture, you can actually start jumping!
The sheep/the sheep (all white with black faces/proved) ((don't start with brown ones too, they are pretty & clumsy to look at first, but totally distract from the thing itself)
So, no lambs, no wolves, or else you'll still be lying around awake tomorrow morning; just normal standard sheep.
Slow standard sheep.

You know the rest.
Anarlan
Californian long drink, too good to drink
The thermometer shows 28 degrees for the first time this year, and that in the middle of April. As expected, everyone around me is freaking out and the midsummer programme is running as soon as they return from their skiing holiday, at full speed. SPF50 and spaghetti ice cream everywhere. Finally, wearers of shorts over milky rice coloured men's legs are no longer arrested and young and old are allowed to wear blackjacks with impunity and their own pedicure status regardless of their toe separator.

Even my children found last year's inflatable XXL paddling pool somewhere in the basement and placed it in a slightly reproachful casualness at the edge of the terrace. All right, for Christ's sake. I'm already in the game. Yeah! Summer! Gin & Tonic! Barbecue orgies! Yeah.

After what felt like years of the worst of all dull winters, I'm so soft as a nappy and in need of summer that, before the third barbecue this week, I'm going to visit my trusted perfumer by remote control. Finally, I'm still missing this one, which is somehow different from the others. It should be citric (total surprise), please no lime this time, but also woody (as always), something green-herbal (not new either), a little fruity (crazy), but not too sweet, a little tart, and not even remotely reminiscent of oakmoss, not in the front, not in the middle, not out the back. At least this is a little challenge
Yada yada.

How very original. I was a hopeless victim of my own eternally recurring scent preferences. Anyway, so off to the realm of Hesperidia
As soon as I enter the store, I spray myself for the 200th time in the summer fragrance self-experiment Allure Homme Édition Blanche on my forearm, sometime it must work out with both of us, today would be a good day. A mainstreamer, what for every day, completely unagitated, does not hurt anyone, beautiful fragrance, solid and reliable heat resistant and immediately I hear myself murmuring "WC-freshener-lemon". Top notes can put a good scent to shame, and the white version of the male temptation doesn't make it over the target this time either. So in my desperation I start to look at the Tom Ford corner, the little bright blue things down there, it looks so Mediterranean summery, Amalfi coast, Capri fish, hach, lemon sorbet with grappa, yippee, there must be something useful this time?

Nothing. Too fruity, too one-dimensional, too synthetic, too angular, too blue, too extravagant, too pretentious, too expensive, too Tom Ford. So it won't work today, summer will pass me by without the grapefruit kissing me. And there is my salvation in front of me, a lovely young lady from the local staff, and I hear myself dazedly babbling something about "summer scent" and "thirty degrees" and "citric", determined not to be tempted towards a niche this time.

"Ohhhh, I would have some great things for her, but I see them rather over here with diiiiiiiies scents!", and before I can even protest for the sake of form, I am already standing in front of the well sorted niche corner again. Oh, great. Wondering what exactly it is about my appearance that tempts her to make this steep thesis, or whether she's only interested in selling the high-priced registers, the cunning beast, I play the game. Let's go, Frollein, we have nothing to lose here, the sun is burning, my brain is evaporating, the bratwurst is charring, show me
Summer scents come and go. Nothing knocks my socks off. A tragedy. I want to go back to 7 degrees Celsius and mizzle
And bang, all of a sudden I have a fruit juice splashing tangerine with leaves and stalks on my arm, fully ripe and half green at the same time, picked directly from the branch in full sunshine. Not a German Advent mandarin from the red net bag, but a Californian citrus fruit, which is much more fully grown and hangs rather orange-like on its tree and aaaah, how wonderful, this completely non-Christmas Pacific coastal freshness exudes. Now please don't be silly in the fragrance, I think, after such a stunning start. And God knows I won't be disappointed, and as if I'd guessed, a wonderful, gin-splashed, non-alcoholic juniper note is added, herbaceous with basil, you can see the leaves in this fantastically cool-fruity refreshing drink almost in front of you, as they glide past the ice cubes when you top up. Everything is very natural, delicate and flowing. And then, as if I had ordered it, a dry woodiness is added, hard to describe in its unsweetened tart sweetness. According to the fragrance pyramid, it's sandalwood (I smell it), star anise (nope), pepper (I mean pepper) and vetiver (thanks that vetiver has its place in this fragrance, but I don't notice any of it) that give the fragrance a firm and solid centre, which turns the fruity, tangy exuberance of the youthful citrus fruit into an adult affair. No sensation, nothing the world hasn't heard of yet, but a fruity, fine, noble, unagitated, well-tempered refreshment exactly to my taste and booty
I don't really need to pretend that the fragrance doesn't fit like a fist on the inner perfume eye, and of course a bottle of the delicacy will be placed in my pocket under the shining eyes of the successful young saleswoman
In the practical test the following day, the fragrance lasts a full 12 hours despite its superficial lightness, and even in the evening I still sniff a Californian citrus breeze under the warm dry woodiness. So the summer may go on like this.

It is a pity that the fragrance no longer finds fans here, but in my eyes it does not diminish its quality.

Oh, yeah. Before I forget: No oakmoss for miles around....
Clementine, not boring!
AugustA thought: Yes, well it will be boring, but try it. Tangerine is not my favourite lemon at the moment - too sticky, too sweet and only tastes good in winter anyway, for exactly one week until I'm sick of it. In fragrances - and it's a popular top note - it gets on my nerves accordingly often, especially when it's not contrasted in an interesting way. I would even go so far as to say that it only goes well with winter scents. With spices and stuff
Now for the clementine. Detergent? No, it just popped into my head from one of those commercials. No soap, no clean air. Fresh, natural
Scent sprayed on, now comes the surprise: Nothing at all. Nothing at all. I knew it would be boring, but it's not what I expected. Watered-down tangerine, where do you get that? I turn away disappointed
But here's the thing: Not a tangerine, but actually clementine. Little by little, then with flavor. No, not the detergent woman, but a seedless, somewhat tart of these little inconspicuous orange fruits and she suddenly pulls my face together and smells of her skin! Totally tangy and fresh, as if she had just been ripped open. Wow! Nice to meet you Mood-lifting! I didn't expect it to be like this, and all day long I keep getting a whiff of that damn refreshing clementine peel, and it's much, much better than I expected. Thumbs up for the boring clementine!!

PBullFriend
Atelier goes to the dark side! :(
I bought a mini of Clementine California, rather than waiting to go to Sephora to try it first, because I've liked everything I've tried of this brand. Likewise, when I put it on for the first time, I splashed on quite a bit, as I've done with other Atelier scents. From such hubris does a person get a headache!

This is the first of their line that I've hated. I can barely detect the citrus here, and what I do detect has none of the playful juiciness of clementine or mandarin. It's surrounded by horrible, pointy, synthetic clouds of sandalwood and pepper, bringing it closer in spirit to space-age plastic scents like Calvin Klein Reveal than to its citrusy peers in the Atelier line.

Coming to its page on Parfumo, I can see the possible reason behind this: Atelier Cologne sold out to L'Oreal in 2016, the same year CC was released. Either the perfumers were trying to catch L'Oreal's attention with a product compatible for their department store lines, or perhaps it was L'Oreal's people writing the briefs for this one. L'Oreal has been buying up many perfume companies in the last few years, and I'm unaware of any that were improved by their leadership. L'Oreal is also one of the few companies left that seems unapologetic about animal testing. While other companies were at least trying to phase it out, I've never heard anything from L'Oreal that shows any concern at all for the rats, rabbits, and other poor creatures whom they will mutilate and burn with overdoses of their products. I must be more careful about checking ownership of companies because, as this experience shows, it's not always obvious whether an animal-torturing company owns a particular brand.

Thank goodness this is fading somewhat after an hour, as is my headache. I'm still going to take a shower and wash myself free of it--literally and metaphorically.

Einen lieben Gruss an alle Parfumos von der Clementine aus California! :-))
by Jan1991
by Jan1991
Clementine California von Atelier Cologne

Popular Atelier Cologne

Orange Sanguine by Atelier Cologne Cédrat Enivrant by Atelier Cologne Bergamote Soleil by Atelier Cologne Pomélo Paradis by Atelier Cologne Oud Saphir by Atelier Cologne Santal Carmin by Atelier Cologne Vétiver Fatal by Atelier Cologne Mimosa Indigo by Atelier Cologne Café Tuberosa by Atelier Cologne Grand Néroli by Atelier Cologne Gold Leather by Atelier Cologne Musc Impérial by Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensée by Atelier Cologne Patchouli Riviera / Mistral Patchouli by Atelier Cologne Tobacco Nuit by Atelier Cologne Trèfle Pur by Atelier Cologne Rose Anonyme (Cologne Absolue) by Atelier Cologne Cèdre Atlas by Atelier Cologne Pacific Lime by Atelier Cologne Citron d'Érable by Atelier Cologne