Trèfle Pur (2010)

Trèfle Pur by Atelier Cologne

Trèfle Pur is a perfume by Atelier Cologne for women and men and was released in 2010. The scent is green-fresh. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesTunisian neroli, Spanish bitter orange, Guatemala cardamom
Heart Notes Heart NotesEgyptian Basil, Indian galbanum, Violet leaf
Base Notes Base NotesSlovene oakmoss, Indonesian patchouli, Texas cedar

Submitted by DeGe53, last update on 24.05.2019

7.0 5.0 7.0 7.0/10

Grassy Cologne
Scentrack
Khruangbin – Friday Morning

Trefle Pur is not a groundbreaking. It firmly stays within given genre boundaries, but with several nicely executed touches. Master Epinette created a very nice, polite and grassy cologne. Trefle Pur, as properly suggested, is clean and fresh. The opening is consists of strong and crispy neroli note accompanied by a hefty dose of bitter orange, very reminiscent of Hermes classic - Eau d’Orange Verte. In the opening there are also faint fresh basil and green grass notes. Very natural. In the heart one could sense an almost watery and gentle violet leaf note. Like some calm lake accord, similar to Creed Green Irish Tweed. In the drydown soft woodsy notes dominate – cedar or some similar unidentified woods with a touch of musk.

Rating: 7/10

More on Scentimentalwords
5.0 5.0 10.0/10

Burst of orange
I loved this at first spray. Opens with a big burst of orange and green notes, then goes just a bit grassy - I think the clover, basil and violet leaf blend very well with the galbanum, and these notes are all favorites ! It has a beautiful mossy drydown, with just the right amount of patchouli. It gives me an image of coming out of an orange grove and finding yourself in a meadow with woods just beyond it. I definitely get the comparisons to Eau d'Orange Vert which has always been my favorite in this type of fragrance, but Trefle Pur is a serious contender.

Zesty dullness
Trèfle Pur opens with a pleasant and quite old school citrus-woody-musky structure reminding of any classic masculine eau de cologne – from 4711 to several designer “eaux” (Hermès, Cartier, Dior, Rochas...). Citrus, neroli, green notes, woods, something musky-resinous: as much good as more conventional than ever. The only difference here for me would me initially a subtle and quite nondescript sort of humid grassy-earthy note that I can not identify clearly, which provides a peculiar (and honestly, just partially pleasant) sort of damp, sultry, sort of “vegetable” feel that reminds me of the infamous “spinach” note of Guerlain’s Coriolan – just a bit more pungent and cheaper here. This, and a light pastel hint of violet. Finally as minutes pass the cardamom note emerge with its enveloping spicy warmth well blending with an equally “emerging” note of vetiver, and that’s it for a couple of hours until the very final drydown arrives – a really light and quite pleasant sort of “dusty” and clean woody-soapy accord. Softly bracing and classy, and also quite well persistent. But yet not enough not to make me consider Trefle Pur a bit uninteresting overall, as it smells basically like any (cheaper) designer with these same notes, and I wonder who on Earth would pay 65 EUR for 30 ml of this zesty dullness; but fairly nice per se.

6,5-7/10

LicoriceRain
Trèfle Pur opens with a nice orange that hangs around for quite awhile. Very masculine, and definitely not too floral, but more like branches and bushes than flowers. So realistic, it almost makes me want to sneeze. (Reminds me of Enchanted Forest by Vagabond Prince, minus that awful choking rum note.) The jury is still out about whether or not I like this, the drydown is quite mossy. But, as others have said, it’s more complex than other Atelier Colognes, and some will probably love it.

Chypre sillage
Trefle Pur has so light and pleasant Chypre sillage that lasts for hours, it embrace you and move around your hair. This Chypre IMHO is much more interesting than first notes.
The bottle of 200 ml is not so comfortable for holding :(

Green and bitter..
Ok so Trèfle Pur immediately reminds me of Eau d'Orange Vert by Hermès. That comparison is undeniable, especially in the beginning...

Right off the first blast I get a very bitter orange, very green and fresh! I find it very invigorating and pleasant. I don't know the note of clover very well but I can detect violet leaf. It has an effect of being very watery and fresh, like the smell of grass and leaves after the rain. It also reminds me very much of high quality soap, I get a clean, fresh, orange-like soapy vibe. Which is something I happen to enjoy in this fragrance.

Overall it doesn't last very long... which is a shame, and I don't detect it after a while. It says on the description that this has 18% concentration of oils, but this has the lasting power of an Eau de Cologne (as advertised), so I just have to keep reapplying constantly. I would probably recommend Hermès Eau d'Orange Vert for a better value alternative to this one, which has the lasting power of an Eau de Toilette. But either way this is still quite good.
5.0 2.5 3.0/10

Evanescent Tangerine Vetiver
Trefle Pur comes to life as an aromatic tangerine vetiver, with a silage of six inches to a foot. It is not a foody scent, but a friendly/interesting vibe, as if you were wandering through someone's backyard garden. Unfortunately, it lasts three hours, tops.

With evanescent scents like this, I find that reapplying does not help; usually doing so transforms them into something different and usually not as pleasant. If you're willing to walk that strange path, then don't let my words dissuade you.

In short, an interesting scent that does not last.
6.0/10

Neroli Clover
I've been noticing that the creative director at Atelier Cologne seems to have a penchant for neroli, as it appears in many of the members of the Collection Voyage of purse sprays which I've been testing.

A case in point, TREFLE PUR is not really a "pure clover" scent but more of a strongly neroli-tinged clover cologne. A better name, in fact would have been: Néroli Trèflé, since there is easily as much neroli here as greens (clover and basil). Given the blend, this ends up being a member of the large class of green citrus fragrances.

There is nothing wrong with this composition whatsoever: it smells nice and natural, and I definitely recommend it for testing to anyone who is looking for a good citrus green for spring or summertime. The composition seems to me well-balanced, but you really must love neroli (not orange blossom) in order to wear this one, and I suspect that some people would be just as satisfied with 4711, at a fraction of the price.

Sweet, spicy, herbal.
Nice! Trefle Pur is the most complex scent of all the Ateliers that I've tried. What a nice balance of sweet and spicy. I like the combination of notes, much the same way that I do in Bond's Lexington Avenue, although here in TP, it's sweet and spicy without being gourmand, and slightly herbal which LA is not. I think I could inhale this all day long. I do believe Trefle Pur has knocked my 1st place Atelier favorite - Orange Sangine into 2nd place.

Itchynose 2 days ago
A field of clovers sprinkled with morning dew. Very fresh, green, watery and soapy.+1
R0din 25 days ago
Very grassy, very green, a pleasant smell. It’s perfect for hot summer days, though it’s very very light. Maybe spraying the clothes helps.+2
KingPin 26 days ago
Very fresh and pleasant. A bit powdery on dry down, similar to Lacoste Red.
Carlossp 20 months ago
It is basically a neroli, but quite different from Gran Neroli in this same house, there is something green that does not finish convincing+2
5.0

Lindenteegrüngelb
by TomLavender
by Oloroso
by Oloroso

Popular Atelier Cologne

Orange Sanguine by Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensée by Atelier Cologne Vétiver Fatal by Atelier Cologne Grand Néroli by Atelier Cologne Trèfle Pur by Atelier Cologne Cédrat Enivrant by Atelier Cologne Pomélo Paradis by Atelier Cologne Oolang Infini by Atelier Cologne Silver Iris by Atelier Cologne Rose Anonyme (Cologne Absolue) by Atelier Cologne Gold Leather by Atelier Cologne Bois Blonds by Atelier Cologne Ambre Nue by Atelier Cologne Mistral Patchouli by Atelier Cologne Santal Carmin by Atelier Cologne Bergamote Soleil by Atelier Cologne Oud Saphir by Atelier Cologne Café Tuberosa by Atelier Cologne Tobacco Nuit by Atelier Cologne Sous Le Toit de Paris by Atelier Cologne