Rockford 1985Eau de Toilette

Version from 1985
Rockford (1985) (Eau de Toilette) by Atkinsons
Rockford (1985) (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Atkinsons for men and was released in 1985. The scent is spicy The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Lavender, Lemon, Basil
Heart Notes Heart NotesCyclamen, Mace, Carnation, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Cedarwood
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Moss, Tonka bean

Submitted by WiB, last update on 01.09.2020.

A Hall of Fame fragrance
I discovered this scent at a good friend's house. So I really wanted it, the "old" version. Discovered on ebay at a Portuguese dealer and ordered.
Sorry it took so long. Was it worth it ?
Top note
English Landel meets a great herbal note, rounded off with a fine pinch of lemon. The top note alone would be a great fragrance.
Heart note
Very well balanced floral notes meet here with very pleasant, finely spicy, noble wood notes. A very pleasant freshness and a not too strong sweetness caress the very successful heart note.
Base
Green, very good moss note, enmeshed by wonderful musk meets very beautiful amber. Tonka bean is added and rounds here very elegantly.
Conclusion
An elegant, noble and incredibly beautiful fragrance. For me, a mixture of gentleman and gourmet. Very versatile and complex. Quite complex and yet very accessible. You can wear it mMn always and everywhere. I wear it when I want to make a very good impression in terms of fragrance. With me it lasts a good 8 hours and is still very well present. I'm wearing it now. I have a personal minus point, such an ingenious Eau de Toilette and then a Splasher ? Why, Atkinsons, why? One spray and he'd be perfect for me I also go into raptures sometimes with appropriate scents. But I think this EdT Atkinsons Rockford deserves it. Why it is no longer produced in this form is and remains a mystery to me.
The improved version (2005?) is certainly not bad, but not as good as this one. Pity .....
ROCKFORD 1984, the fine Englishman from the 80s
Now I have to make a break for ROCKFORD 1984 (not 1985!). Completely ignored and underrated 80's fragrance that can easily compete with Burberry's LONDON or BRIT. By the way, also a traditional British fragrance house.

At the beginning of the 80s I came from the province to Neuss/Düsseldorf, was a crisp 20 and sucked up with all my senses, the new big city world. What I found there were things I had never seen, heard or smelled before in the village where I had grown up.
Irish Spring was my first deodorant and soap. Even my first shave in early 14/15 was Irish Spring. I really liked this fresh soap.
In Neuss there was the department store (later Woolworth) and on my first forays into the world of fragrances, I could afford BRUT 33 EdT, BLUE STRATOS EdT and ROCKFORD EdT and was thrilled.
These weren't really "real" perfumes, rather more expensive drugstore fragrances, but they accompanied me for some years until my first SANTOS, KOUROS or KL Homme.

Nevertheless, these fragrances have remained unique to this day and have been accepted today into the ranks of the much sought-after vintage fragrances without any intention or awareness on the part of the producers.
One (n) must say in addition, in the 70s it began only with the perfumes for men. Only when we were young did we spray deodorants under our arms. Proper perfume was worn by grandma, the elderly lady and grandpa had TABAC or SIR aftershave.
This brought us all the mostly pleasant smell of grandpa or daddy shaving water as a memory, as a typical male scent (next to sweat bumps and body odor in the men's dressing room).

In the 80s then, the ROCKFORD EdT had its own noble class, quite delicately powdery/soapy with a hint of wood and lavender. This is how English gentlemen smelled, unobtrusive but skilfully placed male fine fragrance mark. With the scent I immediately have a Scottish flannel pattern in my inner eye, as BURBERRY markets it today.
Well-groomed English gentleman luxury with Scotch, a Davidoff and a fireplace in the English reading room. Atkinsons Ltd. already stood for the Beau of the "Parfum-Snobbery".

This fine mixture of cyclamen, vetiver, cedar, lavender and musk lingers for a long time and what starts off with a lively lemon colour goes on into a well-groomed soap and lingers until the next morning as a gentle touch of a lotus blossom.
An unobtrusive fine male long-lasting fragrance mixture.
That's what makes ROCKFORD EdT from 1984 to today.

I searched for a long time and only found what I was looking for in Italy. What has long since disappeared from German households or is in display cases as a collector's miniature is traded like gold in the traditional Profumeria in Italy. But you have to search and find your cookies, like a mushroom picker.

The originally deeply British brand Atkinsons (1800 J&E Atkinsons Ltd. in 24 Old Bond Street ), once purveyor to the court of the British Crown, has survived after a long successful tradition, from 1900, the takeovers and mergers to such an extent that today the company is again British, but the production has remained in Italy. All well-known cosmetic companies were once involved, from UniLever to Wella, Fabergé and Procter & Gamble.
More about this in the history of the Dufthaus Atkinsons, to which I will devote myself later in detail.

The bear, heraldic animal of Atkinsons Ltd., is unmistakable at the ROCKFORD. I think he had attracted me back then, when I didn't even know the scent. But at ROCKFORD it's a polar bear, really super logo!
Maybe even James Garner, the detective Rockford, was the inspiration for the creation of the brand.
Unfortunately, the bottle is typically square, practically 80s plastic. Nothing noble, just plump, like the embarrassing shoulder pads and carrot trousers and everything brightly colored. Here bright plastic red lid.
The outer packaging again has something, there was a better designer on it.
I'd like to know who created ROCKFORD in 1984, but I don't think that former drugstore scents will stain any perfume mortar.

Rockford 1984
by ivko

Popular Atkinsons

Oud Save The King (Eau de Parfum) by Atkinsons 24 Old Bond Street by Atkinsons 24 Old Bond Street Triple Extract (Eau de Cologne Concentrée) by Atkinsons The Odd Fellow's Bouquet by Atkinsons Gold Fair in Mayfair by Atkinsons Amber Empire by Atkinsons The Big Bad Cedar by Atkinsons His Majesty The Oud by Atkinsons Scilly Neroli by Atkinsons Pirates' Grand Reserve by Atkinsons Oud Save The Queen (Eau de Parfum) by Atkinsons Falling In Leaves by Atkinsons Lavender on the Rocks by Atkinsons Love In Idleness by Atkinsons The Excelsior Bouquet by Atkinsons White Rose de Alix by Atkinsons The Other Side of Oud by Atkinsons 41 Burlington Arcade by Atkinsons Fashion Decree by Atkinsons Her Majesty The Oud by Atkinsons