Pirates' Grand Reserve 2017

Pirates' Grand Reserve by Atkinsons
Bottle Design Aesthete, Thierry de Baschmakoff
Pirates' Grand Reserve is a popular perfume by Atkinsons for men and was released in 2017. The scent is sweet-spicy. It is being marketed by Perfume Holding. Pronunciation

Rum, Cocoa bean, Vanilla, Heliotrope, Jasmine, Virginia cedar, Geranium, Patchouli, Helvetolide®, Cardamom, Clary sage, Broom, Moss, Cashmeran

Submitted by Michael, last update on 19.03.2021.

The Dark Side
A dive in the Caribbean long ago. Pale light burns it is hot and stuffy. It smells of rum, tobacco and men's sweat. A gold coin flashes and disappears in a man's hand followed by greedy glances from sun-tanned faces. A dark beauty sits down on the owner's lap. A beautiful dream.
Thank goodness that time has passed. We are civilized shower every day have a regular routine. Do I want to live in that time? No . But the atmosphere gives me this perfume. It's incredibly complex. Rum vanilla leather the name fits the perfume. But the dream is short.
DonJuanDeCat
When the pirate freezes his ass off on the ship in autumn, he drinks rum to keep warm!
Hi guys, I'm back. And yes, I know, and you're moaning again. Or moaning, as the case may be, just because I'm back. I've reduced my presence here to about two or three times a week at the most but no, I guess I'll have to go down to a comment,... PER MONTH! Do you really want that? D

Anyway, I tried Pirates' Grand Reserve the other day. No, that's not the name of the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie, it's the scent of Atkinsons from 2017, although I wouldn't mind seeing another Pirates of the Caribbean movie, but one with Johnny Depp, which probably won't come back, since the new movies are supposed to feature Margot Robbie in it and Disney has written Johnny Depp off because of his marital problems (so he's not even supposed to be in a supporting role...). All the more reason for me to hate Disney after they fucked up Star Wars... uh, although they did do something really great with The Mandalorian series with Star Wars... but I'm not here to talk about Star Wars, which I haven't done for SO LONG, by the way, but to report my impressions on this pirate scent.

After all, it's from Atkinsons. Maybe not everybody knows this brand, but I would recommend to try scents from Atkinsons every now and then, as they have quite nice scents. All right, let's get started.

The smell:
Somehow the fragrance does not necessarily start with the scents that are indicated here in the fragrance pyramid. Instead, I smell smoky notes and leather at the beginning, followed by a little rum and vanilla. The combination is okay, even if the leather distorts the Caribbean feeling a bit, isn't it? Anyway, the scent is still pleasant.
Later the vanilla is more in the foreground, but I still smell smoke and leather, although now a little weaker than in the beginning. Rum is now only rudimentary, which is a pity, as I find alcoholic scents in such autumnal scents like this one actually quite good. But the scent still smells nice, and to the described scents now also some cedar is added. In addition, the scent is becoming softer and softer, which could be due to the vanilla.
With the heliotrope I am a little bit unsure, but maybe you can smell this. When I concentrate, I notice a slight almond scent, just as Heliotrope can smell most of the time... but it could also be that I think about it too much and just imagine it :D
Later, the fragrance remains slightly woody, but above all gently vanilla and warm. Leather weakens, but comes through every now and then. All in all a nice scent, which somehow doesn't offer anything new, but has become quite beautiful, especially for autumn.

The Sillage and the durability:
The Sillage is quite good, not a firecracker, but still not only smells good up close.
The durability is also quite good, it easily lasts eight to ten hours, of course not with the same intensity, but that's the same with all fragrances.

The bottle! The bottle is rectangular, with a slightly curved top. It is also flat or thin, making it look a little like a flask. On the front is a round depression in which the round label has been glued. The lid is chrome-plated, trapezoidal and patterned. Everything looks nice and the flacon fits well in the hand.

Conclusion:
So, even if this scent should not really please so many people, I already liked it quite well. First of all I have to say that this fragrance reminds me of similar fragrances whose names I can't remember right now, so it doesn't smell very new or creative, but it smells good, and that's the main thing.

With its sweet, gentle and slightly spicy scents, it is for me a quite beautiful companion in autumn and winter, especially in the evening when going out. And even if it looks good on cold days, you shouldn't even think about taking a sip to warm up from the bottle despite the rum scent :D
Quite apart from the fact that alcohol does not warm on cold days, even if you see it differently, especially if you should be holding a hot cup of mulled wine in your hands :D
(bah, but enough about mulled wine... after all, this year there will be no social Christmas market visits, for me as a big Christmas fan this is of course especially bad... :((((
But it is necessary, so I hope you all get well soon, and I wish you a good recovery! And all the others take good care of themselves, okay?)

Yeah, that's it, you'll hear from me again in a few days... or in a month, it depends on you, mu ha ha ha ha ha ha :DDD
Dakane
Would My scent have been bad if not for..
Atkinsons is putting out a really great smell for me here... A lot of rum, a touch of leather, which is not included at all, vanilla, cocoa bean, jasmine are the elements that I smell out and I really like. It is the symbiosis of a Black Flag Rocker and absolute class. But if it weren't for the big but... I love the scent, although it starts with a cheap and spitty note. But then a really massive and delicious Caribbean follows, where you could literally just lie down and feel a little leather, which makes the fragrance undoubtedly its name. Jasmine, vanilla and cocoa bean join in and round it off in a lovely and elegant way. So far so beautiful, except for the somewhat fuzzy start, which is known to be different and more valuable, but although it's not exactly a highly orgy scent of this label, you could expect a bit more. I have sprayed the fragrance 2-3 times on the skin and on a test strip. The scent really captivated me, I couldn't help but hit. Unfortunately, the durability is weak in my eyes. As much as the scent trumps up after its slightly biting start, it unfortunately fades away very quickly. I was gentle on sayings there 4 times to feel at all well dressed and noticed. But when I take the Save the King, which I also love, I am surrounded for hours by a fantastically delicious fragrance that is second to none. A really ingenious scent, which unfortunately disappoints concerning sillage and durability. So don't be fooled by the first explosion, the fragrance is much quieter than the name and first impression would suggest. It's an everyday scent, but it's also much cheaper. A pity..
Volker1964
A great scent, also for landlubbers :)
I really like Atkinson's scents. This great fragrance is no exception.
It is not overloaded overall, it is very balanced. It is quite complex, very multilayered. Not easy to describe. A "warm" fragrance for the cooler days. It unfolds its high quality right from the start and this quality remains until the end. This fragrance has a subtle scent of rum, pleasantly floral, very pleasantly spicy, light and pleasantly chocolaty, very balanced and elegant. Way to go.
A fragrance like an English gentleman pirate Very high quality. It smells very natural, neither artificial nor cheap. A non-scent that really is one mMn. There should be more of these scents.

With kind regards
An evening on Tortuga
Today I got a sample (thanks ElysaShades) of the fragrance and sprayed a stroke on my arm. It starts extremely smoky, with a certain sweetness (rum?) in the background, somehow smells like a dive with cigars, rum and light ladies. A very nice start, I think. But is that really a men's fragrance? Really sexy and wicked with the sweet rum note fits in my opinion better to a lady. Whereby Lady is probably the wrong expression, the whole thing is too sinful.

In any case, a great fragrance for the evening to go out, definitely nothing for work. On my skin it holds itself also quite well, the Sillage is not too obtrusive. I'm gonna try it out a couple more times, not sure if it really suits me.

But I'm in the mood for a bar now, thank you Atkinsons!

Treasure chest found
Considering the main notes in Pirates' Grand Reserve, rum and chocolate, happen to be two of my favorites this fragrance was always going to be a pretty safe bet for me. And indeed I happen to love it; it's sweet, boozy, gourmandy and grown up, a permanent presence in my winter rotation.

That's not to say the fragrance is without its problems: it would have been nice for the rum note to last longer than 15 minutes, both longevity and projection could be better and the price... well, unless you end up loving the juice madly it's going to feel overpriced since there are similar fragrances in the market available for less money. Still, whenever I spray some Grand Reserve it brings a smile to my face and makes me feel for a moment like an intrepid Caribbean pirate. Hard not to love that.

TombbbTombbb 7 months ago
A wearable alternative of Mugler's Pure Malt. Cake, whisky, spices, donut, but more balanced and not so sweet to be disgusting, quite nice.
IanFriedrichIanFriedrich 2 years ago
Atkinsons deserved a praise on this creation. It is not too sweet, but addictive. Like Thierry Mugler A series, once you spray, you love it.
ItchynoseItchynose 2 years ago
Rum and chocolate combo. Great but If the blend wasn't so weak it would be amazing.

by Itchynose
by Itchynose
by Miguellink
by Miguellink

Popular Atkinsons

Oud Save The King (Eau de Parfum) by Atkinsons Gold Fair in Mayfair by Atkinsons 24 Old Bond Street by Atkinsons 24 Old Bond Street Triple Extract (Eau de Cologne Concentrée) by Atkinsons Amber Empire by Atkinsons The Odd Fellow's Bouquet by Atkinsons His Majesty The Oud by Atkinsons The Big Bad Cedar by Atkinsons Scilly Neroli by Atkinsons Oud Save The Queen (Eau de Parfum) by Atkinsons White Rose de Alix by Atkinsons Falling In Leaves by Atkinsons The Other Side of Oud by Atkinsons The Excelsior Bouquet by Atkinsons Love In Idleness by Atkinsons Her Majesty The Oud by Atkinsons 41 Burlington Arcade by Atkinsons Lavender on the Rocks by Atkinsons Posh on the Green by Atkinsons Fashion Decree by Atkinsons