Miyako by Auphorie

Miyako is a popular perfume by Auphorie for women and men and was released in 2015. The scent is leathery-fruity. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Eugene Au

Top Notes Top NotesApricot, Yuzu, Peach
Heart Notes Heart NotesGolden osmanthus, Jasmine sambac, Leather
Base Notes Base NotesHinoki cypress, Cedar, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Katsura leaf, Musk

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 18.07.2019

10.0/10

Osmanthus Bliss
Well, third time is clearly the charm. I admit, I’m curious about anything Luca Turin rewards with 5 stars and try as many of them as I can. Miyako was the recipient of one of Mr Turin’s glowing 5 star reviews (and an exceptionally glowing one at that) and on top of that it was an Art & Olfaction winner, so I had to try it.

Ave Parfum was kind enough to send me a sample some months back but for whatever reason I just didn’t get it. I tried it once again sometime after, and nope, nothing happening for me. Since then, I have developed a real love (almost obsession) for osmanthus so I decided to try it again today just to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. And, boy, was I missing something! I have no idea what has happened other than my newfound love for osmanthus but this stuff went from “meh, don’t get it” to “what do I have to sell to get a bottle of this NOW”.

Wow, it’s LOADED with osmanthus, and if it’s not absolute it certainly smells like it. I know Auphorie uses mixed media (naturals enhanced with synthetics) and it doesn’t matter to me if it’s “real” or not, it smells real, it smells fantastic and that’s all that I care about. The natural peachy leather scent of osmanthus is enhanced with more peach and leather, and also apricot, and together it’s like this world class osmanthus rivaling almost any osmanthus note I have smelled (including the legendary Nombre Noir). There are delicate and fresh notes added (green tea, yuzu) that give a slight brightness to the otherwise dark notes of osmanthus, leather and patchouli. Together with jasmine and woods, Miyako is this perfectly balanced bliss with such an underlying richness it creates a slight gourmand tone, almost like a blanket of caramel is added to the mix. How I missed all this the first time, even the second time, is beyond me. I don’t know, maybe it was my nose, my mood, or my preferences at the time but I’m EATING MY WORDS. Miyako is worthy of all the praise it has received, it’s magical, mesmerizing and quite extraordinary.
7.0 8.0 10.0 10.0/10

2016 Art & Olfaction Award Winner
Miyako, a winner of The Art and Olfaction Awards 2016, wows me with it's fruity yet earthy opening of dried apricots, swiftly followed by its fresh osmanthus flowers and its compelling and distinct note of rough, animalic leather. When the base creeps up, there is something distinctly green about it. A couple of hours into the drydown, I get an almost chocolatey effect that I find very comforting. I also notice something that smells like incense, as though it is clinging to the skin and hair after having walked out of a sacred temple.

This perfume is like a lesson in abstract art. There are so many notes tumbling around, weaving in and out of one another. You have the darkness of earthy notes and brightness of botanical notes contrasting one another with every fascinating inhalation.

Miyako showcases what perfumers can achieve with modern botanical interpretations of "animalic" notes. The leather note is huge and so believable! I did not see the notes ahead of time, but I when I smelled it, I knew it was leather, and I was surprised because I know Auphorie does not use real animal essences. Please try this if you love love love leather but you do NOT love animal cruelty.

Miyako takes me back to a memory of a thrift shop I poked around when I was last at Tahoe. Sniffing from a distance, the perfume has this old, worn-in scent about it, like the scent of clothes with just a bit of mildew, old books, and old leather jackets that might or might not have been worn by a smoker, but they have definitely been worn. If I put my schnozz close to my skin, I really pick up that beautiful, clean, fruity and sweet osmanthus.

Leather is definitely not my favorite note, but oddly I enjoy the (few) excellent botanical interpretations of it much more than the real animalic stuff. Miyako is one of those perfumes that feels like it becomes part of you, just like your favorite leather jacket. This perfume is beautifully done and cruelty-free. Projection is great. Love it!

by Zirkon
by Zirkon
by EssAli
by EssAli

Popular Auphorie

Miyako by Auphorie Eau de Nyonya by Auphorie La Lanterne Rouge by Auphorie Iris Macchiato by Auphorie Eternal Voyage by Auphorie Elfen Spring by Auphorie L'Histoire Oubliée de Dunhuang by Auphorie Ryukyu by Auphorie Shambhala by Auphorie Regal Secret by Auphorie L'Anima della Rosa by Auphorie Zen (Extrait) by Auphorie Dynasty by Auphorie Red Crown by Auphorie N°15 by Auphorie Musc Oud Maharaja by Auphorie Bing Ma Yong by Auphorie Zen (Eau de Parfum) by Auphorie Binturong by Auphorie Les Trésors de Sriwijaya by Auphorie