Casbah (1992) Eau de Toilette

Casbah (Eau de Toilette) by Avon
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand

Casbah (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Avon for women and was released in 1992. The scent is floral-spicy. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Grapefruit, Jasmine
Heart Notes Heart NotesClove, Iris, Nutmeg, Orchid, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Sandalwood

Submitted by Kittycat, last update on 19.08.2019.

6.0 5.0 5.0 8.0/10

Lovely Iris and Sandalwood Centric Fragrance
Top Notes: Jasmine, Bergamot, Grapefruit.

Heart Notes: Iris, Nutmeg, Clove, Rose, Orchid.

Base Notes: Musk, Sandalwood.

This is a surprisingly lovely fragrance. Somehow, I am always surprised by good Avon fragrances, and I suppose that is because not all of them are very well done, but this one certainly is well done. The iris, sandalwood, and musk notes seem to take centre stage on my skin, but I also detect a rich jasmine note as well. Incense is not a listed note, but I believe I detect incense as well. I do not clearly detect the other notes. I do not detect any nutmeg or cloves, but this fragrance is so well blended that it may just be that my inexpert nose cannot tease them out. In any case, this is definitely a winner for Avon. I cannot understand why it was discontinued. I think it is best for Autumn, Winter, and chilly Springs. It would be cloying in hot, humid weather. It also strikes me as more of an evening fragrance and somewhat formal. It smells much more expensive than one would think.

Sillage, projection, and longevity are all moderate+. The bottle is cute, too. If you like the listed notes, this one is worth a try. One thing that some wearers may not like about it is that it is a bit "perfumey." I am not bothered by this fact. I would repurchase this one.

Fragrance: 7.5/10
Longevity: 7/10
Projection: 7/10
Sillage: 7/10
8.0 9.0/10

A Courtly Perfume
I bought Casbah when it was first released in the U.K. Back then there was a very noticeable difference between Avon perfumes and lines such as Hermes and Houbigant, and department store brands such as Dior and Chanel.

What am I trying to say? Well, resmelling my old Casbah , some 24 years old, very badly stored, I think these old Avon offerings stack up very well against modern formulations.

This Casbah of mine (24 years old, very badly stored) smells surprisingly realistic. Of course I have no idea what is in it and as usual can only say what it smells like to me and it smells soft and natural.

The musk and rose notes are particularly smooth and there is no edge on the sandalwood at all. The grapefruit and other citrus has not a trace of bitterness. Very gentle spice, just a touch animalic in the later stages of wear, and a teany tiny touch of soap and powder.

Mine doesn't last more than an hour on the skin, has hardly any projection, little sillage, but it is enough to bring back memories of how lovely this perfume was - I can see me now, at work, holding court to my gentleman admirers.

I don't go chasing down old loves as there are just too many of them but if I did see a bottle of Casbah, no box, a bit rough round the edges, nestling on a shelf in a charity shop for £20 then I wouldn't hesitate and would fair chuckle as I made off with my prize.
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Captivate With Casbah
Sultry, intoxicating, heavy with so many spices. Jasmine pierces into you with an immediate animalic sense, Iris packs an earthiness while nutmeg and cloves spice this musky mix that bewitches and spellbinds. Casbah is a fully potent woodsy scent that needs to be worn carefully. A sweet mixture of heaviness, wear this lightly in the colder weather or sparingly on pulse points.
I envisioned Rita Hayworth wearing this as she danced her Caribbean sensual moves in Fire Down Below with Robert Mitchum watching her lasciviously. Rita Hayworth was a Hollywood beauty who graced the big screen with mature sensuality. She knew who she was and dictated it easily with the arch of an eyebrow, the look in her eyes, the toss of her hair. Casbah transforms you into that type of woman. A woman who can captivate and Casbah does just that.
Casbah heats up and radiates stronger with the heat of your body as time goes on. A little does go a long way with this fragrance. I dabbed a bit on my wrist only and I can smell the aroma many hours later.
Casbah is a sexual magnet, a fantasy perfume. Such a shame it's been discontinued, but it's still available on the secondary market, thank goodness.

Animalic powder bombshell.
Casbah is my first love...and the most precious treasure in my collection.

I was 13, when I smelled first this beauty in 1992.After when it's came out to the market I've got a tiny little sample from my ex-classmate whose mother was an Avon-lady in the 90's.I guarded this tiny purple sample for long years in a small jewelry box.:)After 18 years (in 2010) finally I got a full bottle on my hands.

Casbah is about powder and spices. For those who in deep love with powder, musk and orientals-Casbah is the heaven itself.

No doubt, Casbah has the typical late 80's vibe, it's absolutely reflects the animalic and oriental floral features of this decade. Similar scent are came out in the middle 80's as 273 Rodeo Drive by Fred Hayman and Bijan Bijan.

Casbah is a powder bombshell..in a good way.Sultry and captivating.Rich and bold floriental twisted by warm spices..Seductive marriage of the notes,hazy yet intensive combination of iris and musk.Rose, sandal and spices makes the heady accord rounded and deep.It’s becomes more intimate as the skin’s heat pulses through it.
Intoxicant and mesmerizing..

The durability of the scent is amazing...as it ingrains into the skin, this beautiful smell just lingering around me more than a day!!Well made quality perfume is this.
I'm a proud owner of this splendid fragrance.

Casbah is infected me in the past and it's seems that I will never recover from this "illness"...but I don't even want to be...;)
7.0/10

A Surprise from Avon
I'm surprised how good this one is. I picked it up in a small perfume lot which I purchased to acquire a hidden gem that was among the crap, and most of it was crap ... but this one ... I'm pleasantly surprised. I've got the short, squat bottle.

It's a warm oriental that's not too spicy or over-bearing. It's a bit powdery & woody, resinous without being foreboding. Florals are present but do not define the fragrance. Casbah reminds me of a mild-mannered Samsara in a more classic style, perhaps with a tad of incense smoke. I even think it could be worn by a guy.

If you have an opportunity, definitely worth a sniff!

26th November, 2011

by ELDE
by ELDE
by Cafeaulait
by Cafeaulait
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Avon

Far Away (Eau de Parfum) by Avon Soft Musk (1981) (Cologne) by Avon Christian Lacroix - Absynthe by Avon Today by Avon Rare Gold (Eau de Parfum) by Avon Perceive (Eau de Parfum) by Avon Timeless (Cologne) by Avon Tahitian Holiday by Avon Black Suede (Eau de Toilette) by Avon Little Black Dress / Chic in Black (Eau de Parfum) by Avon Christian Lacroix - Rouge by Avon Extraordinary by Avon Moonwind (Eau de Cologne) by Avon Célèbre (Eau de Toilette) by Avon Pur Blanca (Eau de Toilette) by Avon Sweet Honesty by Avon Far Away Exotic by Avon Mesmerize for Men (Cologne) by Avon Charisma (Cologne) by Avon Rare Pearls (Eau de Parfum) by Avon