Elusive 1969 Perfume

Elusive (Perfume) by Avon
Elusive (Perfume) is a perfume by Avon for women and was released in 1969. The scent is chypre-spicy. The production was apparently discontinued.

Submitted by Hasi, last update on 17.12.2020.

Nice Incense-and-Floral-Centric Fragance
Top Notes: Incense, Galbanum.

Heart Notes: Cloves, Coriander.

Base Notes: Civet, Oriss Root, Musk, Oak Moss.

Avon's Advertising Blurb about Elusive:

"Avon's indefinable fragrance that makes a woman as mysterious as India itself. Tantalising. Irresistible. With the spirit that makes words a poem, melody, a song. Elusive. Above a place. Above a time."

This review is for a vintage EdC which I purchased blindly. My bottle is pre-barcode and quite possibly a 1970s vintage. I found conflicting dates for Elusive's launch. Some sources say it launched in 1965 which I could totally believe. Others sources say 1969 or 1970. Whatever date it may have launched, Elusive is really powerful for an EdC. It is supposed to be an Oriental. I find it to be more of a Floriental.

I took the above listed notes from on-line, so I cannot say how accurate is this list, but I definitely detect some of the listed notes--most notably incense and galbanum. I cannot tease out any particular spices or floral notes, but I do detect floral notes and a lot of incense. The incense is quite prominent on my skin. I really enjoy incense perfumes, so I am quite pleased with Elusive's incense note. I do not detect anything akin to vanilla or amber or other such warmer notes in Elusive. Elusive is more of a cool fragrance than a warm one.

Elusive smells "perfume-y" in the old style way. I doubt anyone would mistake it for a contemporary Floriental. It is a fragrance for a mature woman or man. It is somewhat dry, somewhat green and florally in the deep dry down, and not at all sweet. It may possibly have some oak moss in its base.

Elusive is another one of those old but surprising Avon EdC's that can be had for a song. If you like incense and florals, I encourage you to give it a try.

I feels unisex and is probably more appropriate for evening wear and cooler weather. Projection is excellent for an EdC. Sillage is moderate to moderate plus. Longevity is average for an EdC.

I like it well enough, but I probably will not reach for it as often as some of my other Avons such as Rare Rubies which is warmer, richer, and more to my overall taste. Still, I am glad to have had the chance to try Elusive.

I am rating Elusive in comparison with my other older Avons such as Occur, Timeless, and Charisma, all of which I find myself more drawn. I must say, that I very much like the girly, rather smoky-pink and warm gold tones of the bottle, and Avon's advertising blurb about Elusive certainly helps to explain the packaging design.

Fragrance: 3.5/10

by Yara
by AmySourbutts
by AmySourbutts

Popular by Avon

Absolute by Elite Gentleman by Avon Today by Avon Timeless (Cologne) by Avon Far Away Royale by Avon Far Away (Eau de Parfum) by Avon Charisma (Cologne) by Avon Régence / Elégance (Cologne) by Avon Topaze (Cologne) by Avon Casbah (Eau de Toilette) by Avon Occur! (Cologne) by Avon Wild Country (Cologne) by Avon Foxfire (Ultra Cologne) by Avon Night Magic Evening Musk by Avon Far Away Infinity by Avon Soft Musk (1981) (Cologne) by Avon Mesmerize (Cologne) by Avon Premiere Luxe Oud for Him by Avon Unforgettable (Perfume Oil) by Avon Rare Gold (Eau de Parfum) by Avon Sweet Honesty (Cologne) by Avon