Forest Lily 1998

Forest Lily by Avon
Forest Lily is a perfume by Avon for women and was released in 1998. The scent is green-floral. The production was apparently discontinued.

Annie Buzantian

Green notesGreen notes
Floral notesFloral notes

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 20.05.2017.

Lily of the Valley Soliflore
Notes: Lily of the Valley, Lilac, Ylang-Ylang, Wisteria, Sandalwood, Clementine.

Firstly, I must say that this fragrance comes in one of the cutest bottles I have ever seen. It really has personality plus. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about the fragrance which was launched in 1998.

The only note I detect in Forest Lily is a very green, slightly dewy lily of the valley. I love ylang-ylang and sandalwood, but I can detect neither one, not even in the deep dry down. I cannot detect any sweet clementine either. This is just a straight forward, linear lily of the valley on my skin.

As a lily of the valley solifore (to my nose) this is a perfectly acceptable fragrance, although I think Diorissimo is a much better lily of the valley fragrance. However, if you do not want to spend more on Diorissimo, Forest Lily will give you essentially the same vibe for a much lower price point.

Upon initial spray, Forest Lily has excellent projection and sillage. Within about an hour to an hour and a half, it begins to settle down, and projection is within arm's length. For a vintage Avon, longevity is quite good. I have been wearing it for more than three hours thus far, and it is still quite noticeable. At this rate, I estimate I easily will get between six and eight hours of longevity.

Forest Lily is an innocent smelling EdT that would be lovely for Spring and Summer. I think it would even shine in cold and rainy weather conditions. It is smells pure, clean, and unoffencive, but it is also rather boring. I imagine a quite young girl wearing it, but I see no reason why an older woman could not wear it as well. Applied with a light hand, it would be office friendly, too. I do not dislike it, but I would not repurchase it.

Fragrance: 4/10
Projection: 7/10
Sillage: 7/10
Longevity: 7/10

A real forest lily
I have many lily of the valley fragrances including some rather expensive ones, but this is my favorite. It's like unexpectedly finding a patch of the flowers while walking through the woods. The lily of the valley scent is unmistakable, but here it's surrounded by some wildflowers, trees (of course!) and the earthy, mossy forest floor. Much more interesting than the usual soliflores.

Briarthorn
A chilly morning hike in a damp forest of oak
This opens with a bright green, dew touched wisteria and lilac. I remember a citrus punch in the opening that fades quickly, but time has removed that from the opening in this bottle. There is, however, still a heavy dose of lily-of-the-valley behind the purple flowers. The lily-of-the-valley always stands out in my mind with it’s bright and sweet song. It has that white floral “thing” about it, without the harsh indolic sharpness. Forest Lily is my go-to scent for lily-of-the-valley. Behind the bright green and dewy florals there is a nice woody, almost bitter oak note. You have to search for it in the opening, but it is there. The opening leaves the impression of a cool morning, just before the sun begins to rise. It’s nippy and damp, and the air is sweet.

After a time the scent has warmed up, the dew has evaporated, and the sun has fully come out. It’s still a cool and chilly morning but a bit of the edge has been removed from it. The lily-of-the-valley becomes the dominant floral. The wisteria and lilac are still there, just quietly so, lazily dozing in the background. There is a slight, sweet zing from what I think is Ylang-ylang. Normally, I feel that Ylang-ylang warms up a composition but that’s not the case here. It’s still has that cool morning bite, even with the zing of the ylang-ylang jumping around energetically. This ylang-ylang zing, however, gives a nice edge to the lily-of-the-valley, even if it doesn’t remove the chill from it. The oak base can now be easily found. It’s dry, rich and has a bit of a mustiness to it, that makes me think of the bark dust I’d inhale while climbing trees in my youth. I think it may be orris root that supplies this nice mustiness. I find the use of oak here a really interesting choice. It gives this scent a uniqueness in the woody/floral category of scents. There is also a hint of pepperiness (for lack of a better word) floating around in the heart. Perhaps from the wisteria. The oak and this peppery tinge give the scent some depth and keep it interesting.

The dry down is soft and woody. The florals are now blended pleasantly behind the oak, which has been joined by a sweeter wood (most likely Sandalwood). After about four hours Forest lily becomes a skin scent and it’s completely gone after seven hours.

I find this scent to be very unique. I’ve never really smelled anything like it. There are some things that remind me of it but, unfortunately, I have not found anything that I could think of as a good replacement. This is a shame because Forest Lily has been discontinued for some time now.

This scent will always have special place in my heart. It was my signature scent when my husband and I were courting back when we were seventeen. I can’t wear it and not remember the blush of young love and memories of the marriage that blossomed from it. It’s a very special scent from a very special time.

by Peaches
by Peaches

Popular Avon

Absolute by Elite Gentleman by Avon Today by Avon Timeless (Cologne) by Avon Far Away (Eau de Parfum) by Avon Charisma (Cologne) by Avon Topaze (Cologne) by Avon Wild Country (Cologne) by Avon Mesmerize (Cologne) by Avon Soft Musk (1981) (Cologne) by Avon Sweet Honesty (Cologne) by Avon Premiere Luxe Oud for Him by Avon Occur! (Cologne) by Avon Far Away Infinity by Avon Casbah (Eau de Toilette) by Avon Rapture (Cologne) by Avon Moonwind (Cologne) by Avon Today Tomorrow Always for Him by Avon Destination Grand Canyon by Avon Rare Gold (Eau de Parfum) by Avon Tomorrow by Avon