Bright Night 1954 Cologne

Bright Night (Cologne) by Avon
Bright Night (Cologne) is a perfume by Avon for women and was released in 1954. The scent is smoky-animal. Projection and longevity are above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Submitted by Cincy, last update on 02.11.2020.

Amazing Vintage Oriental
I picked up a bottle of Bright Night recently, still in the box, full, with tag. It's absolutely beautiful. The tag markets it as a cologne, which is outrageous. I put this on at 6 p.m., and I could still smell it at 2 a.m., 8 hours later. This stuff is potent!
I used a sprayer I put in the bottle instead of dabbing, so the effect is from spraying. I find a sprayer performs better than dabbing it on.
This spicy oriental reminded me of EL Youth Dew, which in a way makes sense. Youth Dew came out in 1953, and Bright Night in 1954. I like the Bright Night bottle better with its glittery lucite top and the curvaceous-formed bottle. It only has a hang-tag to identify the perfume name tho, except for the box, of course. The bottle has no identifying marks, except for the name Avon on the bottom of it.
I definitely get aldehydes in the beginning. Strong aldehydes. That's what led me to comparing Bright Night to Youth Dew instead. There's also an incense vibe to it, cinnamon, resins and balsams are strong along with amber, too. I do get peach, also. This is blended very well with many notes.
Bright Night is an amazing vintage. This is perfect for wintertime, watching the snow fall, sipping hot chocolate, wearing those cozy sweaters and hearing the embers in the fireplace. For such an "elderly" perfume, it's held up wonderfully. Amazing, not just for Avon, but for the state of perfumes.
If this was marketed under any other name, and discovered as a vintage, I'm more than certain people would be swooning over it and clamoring to buy it. I love Avon, and have been wearing it for decades. They've put out a lot of perfumes, and I don't like all of them, but I do certainly enjoy the ones I own. Back in the day, they produced some amazing perfumes, and Bright Night is one of them.

Cousin to YSL Opium
I have not been able to locate a notes pyramid for this cologne, but I believe it to be an Oriental and a cousin of YSL Opium. I have a vintage bottle of Avon Bright Night cologne. The bottle itself is quite lovely by the way. It is rather heavy, curvaceous, feminine, and the twist on-off cap has gold glitter inside. Brand new, I imagine the glitter inside the cap must have sparkled like little stars, thus corresponding to the fragrance's name. One can easily see that the packaging was well thought out to compliment both the fragrance and its name, something that is not always done these days. I wish I knew who was the nose behind this fragrance.

My nose is not tutored enough to be able to identify very many individual notes in this fragrance, unfortunately, but Bright Night Cologne is a quite nice scent. It definitely has that Avon DNA about it. It smells slightly spicy and floral with a bit of an animalic note, perhaps civet? It is a vintage style smelling perfume, i.e. it has a "perfumey" smell that older perfuministas will remember from the '40s, '50s, '60, and '70s. I really like it!

Projection, sillage, and longevity are all absolutely amazing for a "cologne," especially one that is 62+ years old. Most current EdPs do not perform half as well as this cologne. I applied only the very tiniest amount to my arm to test it. Projection and sillage were immediate and very noticeable. I have been wearing it for approximately four hours now, and it is still quite noticeable, not fading very much at all. I think it is going to last until I scrub it off.

The differences between a vintage Bright Night and current EdPs and EdTs are like night and day. This Bright Night cologne performs as well as a parfum/extrait in my opinion, and it puts contemporary EdTs and EdPs to shame in terms of projection, sillage, and longevity .

Recommended to vintage lovers and to all those who are curious about the differences between true vintage fragrances and contemporary ones. If you are not already a vintage lover, a vintage like Bright Night will make a vintage lover out of you!

Fragrance: 7/10

Projection: 8/10

Sillage: 8/10

Longevity: 8/10

Popular Avon

Absolute by Elite Gentleman by Avon Today by Avon Timeless (Cologne) by Avon Far Away (Eau de Parfum) by Avon Charisma (Cologne) by Avon Topaze (Cologne) by Avon Wild Country (Cologne) by Avon Mesmerize (Cologne) by Avon Soft Musk (1981) (Cologne) by Avon Sweet Honesty (Cologne) by Avon Premiere Luxe Oud for Him by Avon Occur! (Cologne) by Avon Far Away Infinity by Avon Casbah (Eau de Toilette) by Avon Rapture (Cologne) by Avon Moonwind (Cologne) by Avon Today Tomorrow Always for Him by Avon Destination Grand Canyon by Avon Rare Gold (Eau de Parfum) by Avon Extraordinary by Avon