Topaze 1959 Cologne

Topaze (Cologne) by Avon
Topaze (Cologne) is a popular perfume by Avon for women and was released in 1959. The scent is floral-spicy. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydesAldehydes
BergamotBergamot
CorianderCoriander
PeachPeach
LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesIrisIris
JasmineJasmine
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
CarnationCarnation
SandalwoodSandalwood
Tonka beanTonka bean
VetiverVetiver
CivetCivet

Submitted by Lissy, last update on 18.09.2021.

Sorceress
Avon Topaze-Is It Chanel?
I love perfumes, I really do. All types. High-end, middle-of-the-road, indie, niche, drugstore, body oils. Fragrance is a key to nirvana. And Topaze is one of those fragrances that takes me there. I own a variety of bottles of this juice, dating from its inception in 1959 up to the 1980's, and the older bottles are like a fine wine. If you can get your hands on the older Topaze, go for it. Believe me when I tell you, as it ages, it becomes a glorious perfume that has mellowed with age and ripened deliciously into a pure aldehyde and civet delight. When I lavish myself in my vintage Topaze, I cannot get enough of this fragrance.
The inclusion of ylang-ylang amidst other florals is just enough to keep this pleasant for me. I barely consider this a floral. I immediately sense the presence of tonka bean, benzoin and sandalwood in this wonderful creation, while amber mellows it to a smooth creamy texture with just a hint of spice added to the pot with the coriander mixed in. There are many notes in Topaze that blend beautifully to create an unbelievably unique fragrance.
I, too, was an Avon snob about their fragrances for years, I'll admit to this. I didn't give them a chance. But I believe that's because I never had a chance to truly smell the originals, the true fragrances of Avon when I was growing up as a child. I only knew the later ones of more recent times as an adult. Now, I am actively pursuing their vintage scents to educate myself in the beginning stages of Avon's perfume. I've found they had some truly quality gems at low prices that smelled divine. Smell is associated with memories, and when I read many reviews about Avon, that's what I hear others talking about. Their pleasant memories with that particular perfume. So Avon had a win-win situation going; great prices, delivered to your door for free, you shopped from a catalog at your leisure, no-hassle returns and quality products. Their perfumes became a popular gifting item, also, and thus, from all points their perfume end of the business was destined to become a success.
Except they would later discontinue their very popular fragrances, for various internal reasons, much to the dismay of many customers. The good news is that you can find these vintages on Ebay, Etsy, garage sales or at flea markets for very good prices.
The vintage parfum lasts longer than the cologne, obviously. This is a scent for confidence, for empowerment, for uplifting spirits, for feeling good about yourself in an earthy way. It reminds me very much of Chanel no. 5. I wear it to bed often because it's a soothing scent that allows you to dream your wildest dreams. It's a scent to wear a mysterious smile. It's just that good when it's a vintage bottle.
I'm always complimented when I wear Topaze. It's confused many times with Chanel No. 5. I've tricked many a friend with scent tests. They're that similar. I know it's not Chanel, but it smells so very good.
I've read that Bette Davis always had a bottle of Topaze on her dressing tables in her Hollywood trailers. Now that's an interesting piece of perfume nostalgia.
Yep, I love those vintage Avon classic scents now. They hold a special place amongst my perfume shelves, standing next to my other vintages of yesteryear with pride. Perfume snobbery doesn't belong there.

by TIA1971
by Peaches
by Sorceress
by Sorceress

Popular Avon

Absolute by Elite Gentleman by Avon Today by Avon Timeless (Cologne) by Avon Premiere Luxe Oud for Him by Avon Far Away (Eau de Parfum) by Avon Charisma (Cologne) by Avon Wild Country (Cologne) by Avon Mesmerize (Cologne) by Avon Soft Musk (1981) (Cologne) by Avon Sweet Honesty (Cologne) by Avon Far Away Infinity by Avon Casbah (Eau de Toilette) by Avon Rapture (Cologne) by Avon Moonwind (Cologne) by Avon Occur! (Cologne) by Avon Tomorrow by Avon Destination Grand Canyon by Avon Rare Gold (Eau de Parfum) by Avon Today Tomorrow Always for Him by Avon Extraordinary by Avon