Azzaro pour Homme 1978 Eau de Toilette

Azzaro pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Azzaro
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand
Azzaro pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Azzaro for men and was released in 1978. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesAniseedAniseed BasilBasil BergamotBergamot IrisIris CarawayCaraway LavenderLavender Clary sageClary sage LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCardamomCardamom PatchouliPatchouli SandalwoodSandalwood VetiverVetiver Juniper berryJuniper berry CedarwoodCedarwood
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber OakmossOakmoss LeatherLeather MuskMusk Tonka beanTonka bean

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 25.05.2022.

Mature not dated.
Guys, look... Just stop. Wear this. It's ok. Believe me. Everyone is so bent on not wanting to smell dated that they bypass this in favor of newer releases. Even if they secretly really enjoy wearing this.

I think the main reason people run with the notion of this smelling dated is only because of the date it was released. If this were a recent release, by some niche house, I think it would be far more accepted.

Now, don't get me wrong, this is a very mature smelling fragrance. But mature and dated are not one and the same. Tom Ford's Beau de Jour is mature. Not dated. Dior's Sauvage Elixir is mature. Not dated. I can go on... All of which are recent releases.

So, at the end of the day, it's really up to your nose and not your eyes ( ...dates and batch codes...) to determine what's right for you; in terms of fragrances.

Personally, if you like mature scents---barbershop scents, in particular---i think this will beat out a lot of fragrances far more expensive and recent. Especially if you're into dressing sharp.

Out of all my fragrances this falls into, at max, my top 30 favorite fragrances. In fact, I'm wearing this right now and I keep lifting my shirt and smelling when no one's around. That's why I thought I would write this brief rant. Lol.

Forget the date. Go for it. Trust me.

That's How A Man Should Smell
Whenever I smell Azzaro pour Homme, I can't help but think about that beautiful and carefree summer of 1985. It brings back a lot of memories for me. I was a sophomore, and with four other classmates, we took a trip to northern Europe, touching the major cities of Austria, Germany, Holland, Norway, and France. We had bought a second-hand car, we could travel independently, stopping to sleep in youth hostels. Five guys, each with his own personality and his scent. I remember perfectly well that mine was Cacharel pour L'Homme Eau de Toilette, and the same of another guy who bought it after smelling on me. The other guys wore Drakkar Noir Eau de Toilette, Reporter Cologne, and Azzaro pour Homme Eau de Toilette . The friend who wore the latter always said it was the most remarkable men's perfume ever made. A cologne, once it's in your head, it's hard to forget, to the degree that its honorary status as a 'reference' aromatic fougère still feels appropriate. But for my taste, ApH seemed too opulent, demanding, and mature for our age. We were all too young, bold, and beautiful. Besides, he didn't seem suited to the hot summer weather. Imagine what intensity its original formulation could have had in the 80s. So, I bought it only a few years later, when I felt older and ready to wear it. And I continued to buy it, along with all the flankers; the boozy Azzaro pour Homme Intense is among my favourites, but the original must never miss in my wardrobe. It is the fragrance to own if you want to explore the current fougére category, this one updated with a twist of aniseed. The star anise nuance was, and is, what made this fougére so different from the other classic., with its lovely, refreshing and spicy liquorice notes.

The recent release I own likely keeps the original sparkle—the reformulation did not corrupt such a beauty—and opens with a fresh and woody explosion. That first splash reveals a vintage beast: a bright fougére with lavender and anise, followed by sage and cumin that sparkle above all else. I can recognize something spicy and citrusy, more lemon than bergamot, I would say. There seems to be a refreshing spice that lingers nicely, but it's a fresh spice, mint, and it's all tied in with the softness of lavender. For me, the star of this composition is the note of star anise. It is most prominent in the opening and always present until the end. While the anise fades a little after opening and the woods and leather become more prominent, it never disappears entirely. Cold, spicy and woody. However, it is clean on the top, with very smooth leather and a slight herbaceous note in its aroma.

Then, lavender, star anise and basil explode in a magical combination. A few minutes later, some floral notes appear, the magnificent iris, I think. There's also a soapy citrus blossom that seems to fill in all the cracks and crevices, while round oak moss rises from the bottom, adding a retro density. It's so layered that it's difficult to distinguish some notes, but lavender and oakmoss are the most prominent, which gives it this kind of almost screaming aroma, a kind of classic barber's soapiness. Not a patchouli bomb; the dirty grass is tamed and shares a core with creamy sandalwood and dried cedar. Instead, the resinous juniper berries and cardamom pods have huge spicy and balsamic facets.

In the drying phase, it projects a musky, elegant and timeless warmth that embodies the perfection of the perfume and goes straight to the masculine character made of roots, leaves, and resins. Earthy vetiver is another keynote; very well done here. Bitter drops of leather and oakmoss surround me. Well, it's a pleasant bitterness to counter the sweetness that I sometimes like but rarely like. And it is precisely that oily sweetness that made the original version annoying to my nose. I also get some talc notes, perhaps from coumarins and iris root. Although chemical oakmoss is still robust and observable.

In my humble opinion, the modern version of Azzaro pour Homme Eau de Toilette, if not identical, is very similar to the original. Still strong, spicy, soapy, but masculine. The sillage is now moderate, and the longevity is above expectations. It is no longer a heavy cologne, not like the original, but you don't have to use a lot of it either, because especially at the beginning, it might annoy you. It does not turn off after a few hours but continues silently for the rest of the day, especially on clothing. Honestly, I wear it best in the fall months, as its woody and aromatic aroma suits that time of year well. Just avoid extreme heat and humidity. What to say? For me, it remains a classic that still has a lot to say.

I base the review on a refillable bottle I have owned since October 2020.

-Elysium

Disco King?
I am 20 years old and i own this fragrance. A reformulated version, naturally, and i will review it for you.
Azzaro Pour Homme reminds me of an after shave cologne from the fresh notes it contains. We can note a pretty lavender heavy scent, with some anise as well, (This is the combo that forms the main character of the fragrance) aromatics and also some citrus tones in there as well. The heart already contains cardamom and woods and the base shows the oakmoss, musk, leather, et cetera. I have to say it is quite hard to identify individual notes on this fragrance, since it contains a lot of them and is pretty nicely blended and made with such care and attention to detail. I also think the reformulations have made of this a more usable fragrance even for younger guys like me without smelling dated or old. It is a pretty versatile cologne and it simply smells great. Clean, fresh, aromatic, woody.

On the other side, as i state in the title, i find Azzaro Pour Homme an excellent example of what a "disco king" fragrance was in its days. Yes, we might find this frags from the 70's to be nowadays pretty elegant, but back in the day they were surely used for everything. From what i have smelled of these 70's powerhouses, one that i don't find for disco use is Givenchy Gentleman. All the others were surely used for the disco. As i see random things in my head when i smell something, as i smell Azzaro i personally imagine a man with a Selleck mustache, some 70's haircut, bell bottom pants and an open shirt with a heavily haired chest projecting Azzaro through the whole club like a beast dancing to something like Stayin Alive, breaking the dancefloor as he passes, who knows why. I might also imagine that with Paco Pour Homme or stuff, an elegant guy making out with her girl in a hotel at the beach or stuff while listening to barry white. Polo and Lapidus are rather some heavy rock scents, i imagine a guy with an open shirt as well and some heavy chest hair, a thick gold necklace, a gold watch and a leather jacket driving an old school car with long backwards-combed hair. On the other side, Gentleman reminds me of a funky guy that looks like Charly Garcia and is wearing a suit.

The epitome of Azzaro fragrances
This woody spicy fantastic scent goes back to 1978. I own 4 bottles, 3 vintage and one current. I love all 4 with a slight edge going to the vintage of course. It lasts just about the entire day and it's quite powerful. It projects very well also and it gets many compliments. Easily in my top 10 favorite scents. Azzaro makes many other fragrances but none of the come close to the original. The real oakmoss and musk used in the vintage composition really makes it last and last. I just love it. Such a great great Classic!!
Hpclt
Generation fragrance with very good price-performance ratio
This is the first bottling that I recently purchased from user DerHoelgi in a package and would now like to rate here. First, it should be said that Azzaro pour Homme is very exemplary for this bottling package. There were just under 10 fragrances, all of which awakened long ago memories with me.

When I then entered Azzaro pour Homme here at Parfumo and saw the bottle, it made "click". Exactly this bottle stood in my childhood with my grandpa in the bathroom cabinet and I mean even that the matching shower gel was found in the shower. In any case, this moment explained the great fascination that came up already at the first test with me.

This fragrance has a high presence with its spiciness. Many spicy fragrances that I have smelled so far repel me with their strength / heaviness. With Azzaro pour Homme is different, because here come to it almost fruity-fresh top notes. In combination, a pleasantly complex fragrance with high recognition value develops for me. Mind you, the above memory comes from my childhood...

As will be read in the soon to follow reviews/statements on DerHoelgi's other fragrances such as Chanel Antaeus and Cartier Santos, Azzaro Pour Homme also inevitably makes me think of gym from the 80s. That was before my time, but I am firmly convinced that it must have smelled like that back then.

The amazing thing now is that - two generations later - I've added Azzaro Pour Homme straight to my wish list.
On the one hand, it is certainly the positive memory of fragrance and bottle, but also the very good price-performance ratio from my point of view and measured by durability as well as sillage leads to the fact that I will soon also house this timeless, edgy bottle in my bathroom cabinet.

In conclusion, here is a great fragrance with past and future. I am thrilled and very grateful to DerHoelgi for this expansion of my still young fragrance horizon.
5.5
Anguilla85
First chance I've had to make myself unpopular..
My first review. I have long thought about which of my fragrances I comment as the first. Originally it should be one that I like very much, because it is probably easier for me to find the right words for it. I don't know why, but I decided against it. I'm commenting on a fragrance that I don't like at all, and I hope I don't make myself unpopular here Azzaro...how did I come to this fragrance?
It was during a visit to a well-known perfumery chain store as I held a chat with a nice salesman. I raved about Creed Erolfa which they did not have on offer but instead I was allowed to listen to this Titanic story again. The salesman didn't really want to believe me that it's probably just a marketing story ;)
I was looking for Floris No.89, which he thought was a wonderful fragrance and said: "unfortunately, we do not carry such a thing here, this fragrance you will probably no longer find in Germany, but the Azzaro pour homme smells very similar."
If anyone can confirm this, please comment. Because then I can save myself the testing.
Today (also thanks to Parfumo) I'm smarter, because here it is said (Floris) rather a floral fragrance should be..
..but now to the fragrance of Azzaro itself: I would not describe it as bad despite poor rating, he is just not me personally at all..if I had only one line for a comment here, would stand in this line OLDSCHOOL.
It may work for older people, but for the younger ones there are definitely better alternatives.
( And with almost 36 I count myself also still to the younger ones :P )
Durability and sillage are above average.
This fragrance is just scratchy in my throat and nose, which probably comes from the overdosed anise. In addition, he is simply too kümmellastig..less of both + less lavender, but more lemon could have saved this fragrance in my eyes..but so remains for me the flacon the only beautiful thing.

Anis love!
One of the rare designer fragrances I still got in my collection.

I am a big fan of old-school fougere type of fragrances. That barbershop vibe reminds me of time when I was a kid and I used to steal my father colognes.

For me, this aromatic fougere goes in the category of monumental and discontinued YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme. The main players here are anis seeds, bergamot, lavender and clary sage in the opening. Vetiver and cedarwood in the heart as the most prominent notes and finally everything is well rounded by oakmoss, tonka bean and musk.

It lasts for around 7 hours on my skin and sillage is so tastefuly done here, it's medium but the best kind of medium, that means you and the people in arm-length around you will feel it but no one will find it too much.

This is the fragrance when you want to bring the best of you out, it got that alpha male "I can do anything, just watch me" vibe and I really enjoy wearing it! It's dangerous, daring but at the same time it got that cozy "safe haven" feeling to it.
Sebastian94
Scratchy, masculine, timeless, pleasant - Azzaro pour Homme!
Hello and welcome to my first comment of a fragrance here on Parfumo! My name is Sebastian, I'm 26 years old and come from Bad Hersfeld - but here it should be primarily about the fragrance! :)

Why did I choose the classic AZZARO POUR HOMME for my first comment?
Azzaro p. H. is the first of me self-acquired (and repeatedly purchased) fragrance, which I have discovered probably so around 2010 for me and then for several years (almost) exclusively worn, all year round and on all occasions (at some point I still discovered Drakkar Noir for me, which was always added in turn).
My increased interest in perfumes came about in the fall of 2019, and since then a few fragrances have been added - with "my classic" still in the mix, of course!

First, a few thoughts on the bottle:

I really like the little bottle made of brown glass. This so familiar to me bottle is simple, classic and he acts on me somehow powerful. In addition, he reminds me of the pipe ashtray next to the sofa of my grandfather, which on the one hand is certainly also from the 70s, and on the other hand also consists of brown glass.

But now to the actual topic, namely the fragrance:

The fragrance - which makes me within a few fractions of a second to think of so many beautiful and precious memories - is after the first spray mainly one thing: Scratchy!
By this I mean (for my taste) by no means something unpleasant, but the scent is scratchy at the first sniff. The (for me) predominant fragrance notes are from the beginning in particular anise, lavender and something woody, with the first two clearly predominate.
When I look at the "Azzaro pour Homme chart", I begin to wonder, however. Many would classify Azzaro p. H. primarily as a fragrance for spring, autumn and winter.
In spring, I think this fragrance is absolutely in the right place, although I also love wearing it in summer - it has a lot of freshness due to anise and lavender.... It smells to me like a clean, well-groomed man in rather classic clothes. You can certainly still wear it on sunny autumn days, but I don't see it in winter - there's nothing warm or wintry-spicy about the scent at all.

In the morning einigesprüht accompanies me the fragrance over the (work) day - I myself perceive him about 3-4h, my environment but significantly longer.
Since I work in the field and (under "non-corona circumstances") at the dining table of my customers work, the choice of fragrance is now and then a little tricky ... With this fragrance you are in my opinion but also here "well dressed", because he is not too aufdringlich and I associate this smell somehow also with respectability.

Bottom line is the classic AZZARO POUR HOMME a timeless, fresh-scratchy fragrance, perfect for spring and summer, which smells powerful, masculine, clean and well-groomed and can be used well in the workplace in addition to private everyday life.

So, you young gentlemen who do not (only) like ONE MILLION and INVICTUS (...), test this wonderful men's fragrance! :)

Thanks for reading!

Many greetings
Sebastian
Classic
Since I have a certain fascination for the classic men's fragrances of this world, of course, no way around "Azzaro pour Homme".
I read the first time here on parfumo of this Eau der Toilette. My curiosity was immediately aroused, and I looked online times, what prices are asked for so.
100ML for 25-30€. All right. Since I did not rumgemacht long and the good piece simply times blindly ordered.
When the much-awaited package then came, I opened it, packed the perfume from the ÖVP and held the bottle in my hand. Simple he is. A lot of plastic. But somehow he still likes.
At the first sample then a blast of anise, lavender and caraway, which seems quite scratchy. Quickly, the whole thing settles and is somewhat defused by the sandalwood. The oak moss, which is very often found in classic men's fragrances, gives the whole thing the final touch and takes you fully into the 80's.
In my head at least, I myself was not there.
As with other "well matured" fragrances of the men's world Azzaro pH radiates an immense masculinity and core. I think it's great - perhaps because that sort of thing is becoming increasingly rare these days. It's warm, but still austere. If I were to smell this fragrance on someone else, that person would strike me as well-groomed, serious and confident. As with many scents of this age, there is always a certain "freshly shaved" note that resonates. I do not know where this comes from, but I find this feeling makes the classics so special and masculine.

With 3-4 sprays in the morning I get well through the day. Always perceptible, but never too much. The scent comes with many also very good, or at least does not bother them. Therefore, also one of my favorites for work.

Who stands on this kind of fragrances, I can only warmly recommend Azzaro pH. He exudes tremendous class and has captured the 80s in a bottle.
At 30€ for 100ML can also be dared a blind purchase.

Azzaro pour homme
Dated? Get your terminology right, the word you were searching for is "Timeless". A Hall of Famer in the canon of masculine fragrances that fits any season or occasion. Well blended and simply smells good.

Vintage bottles can still be found fairly easily (chrome topped cap), while the re-formulation stands tall amongst most other fougere "pour homme's".

No reason to over think this one, splish splash and enjoy!

5 stars.

JayNayJayNay 1 month ago
Was reluctant to buy this but I’m glad I did. What a classic and classy beauty. Easily in my top 10. Elegant and refined. Beautiful bottle 2
JackofSpadesJackofSpades 4 months ago
Deep,smooth woody/mossy base,lots of herbs playing, above all anise. A dark forest,fresh,aromatic,shady…a great fougere ,still today.
MatuxMatux 9 months ago
Aniseed and spices, some citrus, a very masculine blend that stands the test of time.
50something50something 9 months ago
I love it. Takes me back to the good old days and it’s still relevant. I enjoy the new formulation, on me nice and smooth.
DPArtistDPArtist 10 months ago
A fine masculine scent which stands the test of time, a little retro maybe but not overly dated at all. Not my thing but a great classic!
CaspikaarCaspikaar 12 months ago
Didn’t expect much of it tbh. First sniff, wow this is oldschool, how I imagined it. However, it develops in a wonderful cloud of class.
StaticStatic 1 year ago
This is a statement!!
Classic fragrance that will always stand time!
BertolucciKBertolucciK 1 year ago
Manly, old school fougère, quite spicy and woody. Fresh, green, classic and well-blended fragrance for men (not boys).
MrHonestMrHonest 1 year ago
Cool, almost aquatic lavender in the sillage with a smooth, chocolatey anise powder up close. A calming and comforting shaving foam for all.
KimJongKimJong 1 year ago
Still remarkably good lavender anise. It's not a cologne that is complimented from the mass, but it's still round for me.

by Mustang69
by NGL7
by Miaw2
by Miaw2
by BlackbirdHH
die vintageversion ist einfach wunderbar!!!
by Couchlock
by Globomanni
by Globomanni
die erste formulierung hat/ist klasse.
by Couchlock
Vintage: Azzaro - Pour Homme 50ml EDT
by MrNiceGuy
by AmyAmy
by AmyAmy
Azzaro pour Homme (Vintage)
by Psb
by Pharaoh
by Anguilla85
by Anguilla85

Popular by Azzaro

Wanted by Night by Azzaro Acteur (Eau de Toilette) by Azzaro Visit for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Azzaro Azzaro pour Homme (After Shave Lotion) by Azzaro Azzaro pour Homme (Eau de Toilette Intense) by Azzaro Azzaro pour Homme Amber Fever by Azzaro Azzaro pour Homme Intense by Azzaro Azzaro pour Homme Ginger Lover by Azzaro Chrome Aqua by Azzaro Eau Belle (Eau de Toilette) by Azzaro Chrome Extrême by Azzaro Chrome Sport by Azzaro The Most Wanted Parfum by Azzaro Azzaro pour Homme Edition Noire by Azzaro Oh la la (Eau de Toilette) by Azzaro The Most Wanted by Azzaro Azzaro pour Elle (Eau de Parfum) by Azzaro Azzaro Couture (1975) / Azzaro (Eau de Toilette) by Azzaro Chrome (Eau de Toilette) by Azzaro Azzaro pour Homme Elixir by Azzaro