Azzaro pour Homme Silver Black / Onyx (Eau de Toilette)

(2005)
Azzaro pour Homme Silver Black / Onyx (Eau de Toilette) by Azzaro / Parfums Loris Azzaro
Flacon Design: Pierre Dinand
Where to buy?
Azzaro pour Homme Silver Black / Onyx (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Azzaro / Parfums Loris Azzaro for men and was released in 2005. The scent is woody-spicy. The production was apparently discontinued.

Coriander, Juniper, Bergamot, Green apple, Patchouli, Vetiver, Ambroxan

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 11.06.2016

According to our information this scent is marketed as "Onyx" in the US while in the rest of the world it's marketed as "Silver Black".

Scent 3.0/10
Helpful Review    5 Awards
Found! A bottle of vintage perfume...
Lately I’ve been going through my wardrobe of bottom drawer fragrances and I came across a bottle of Azzaro Onyx. The bottom drawer is where I keep all my bad blind buys or those fragrances that, for one reason or another, have lost my love. I bought Azzaro Onyx about 4 years ago after a single spritz test at a department store. Bad idea. I wore it a couple times but all I remember about the actual scent is that it would always turn on me and go stale after an hour or two. Hence, 4 years of time out in the bottom drawer.

A quick check of the Parfumo Azzaro page showed, to my surprise, there wasn't a single review of Silver Black/Onyx. I love finding unclaimed fragrance real estate on Parfumo! However, as I looked over the page I realized why the space was empty. Onyx had been discontinued. A bit of Google research showed it had been discontinued over year ago. Furthermore, the search also revealed how unpopular Onyx had become: there was website after website still selling Onyx as a new product.

When I spritzed on Onyx today the whole reason I bought it on a whim 4 years ago came back to me. It has a really nice top note accord. The lemon doesn’t overwhelm the opening and it stays nicely balanced with the apple and bergamot notes. Then, as Onyx transitions into the lower notes, the cedar starts to mingle with the bergamot making a wonderful driftwood like accord. I love that! There’s also a soapy quality at this point but I usually don’t mind soapy in fragrance so I began to wonder why I banished Onyx to the bottom drawer. This seemed to be a nice fragrance...

Unfortunately, this was the same point 4 years ago that I decided to buy Onyx. Back then, if I had the patience to wait another half hour or so I would have smelled what I smelled today: the citrus notes going stale and flat like an orange left in the sun on a hot day. Then, not long after that, the rest of the fragrance following suit, smelling like 3 day old perfume gone stale on an unwashed shirt.

But I’ll hang on to my prize bottle of vintage perfume. Who knows? Maybe 30 years from now people will be pining for vintage Onyx and citing it as an example of classic perfumery. In the meantime, I’ll keep the bottle safely stored with my collection of priceless Beanie Babies.