Alaïa (2015) Eau de Parfum

Alaïa (Eau de Parfum) by Azzedine Alaïa
Bottle Design: Martin Szekely

Alaïa (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Azzedine Alaïa for women and was released in 2015. The scent is floral-spicy. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International.

Marie Salamagne

Top Notes Top NotesPink pepper, Air accord
Heart Notes Heart NotesFreesia, Peony
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Animalic notes

Submitted by Tatiana80, last update on 01.10.2019

The face of the advertising campaign is model Guinevere Van Seenus, photographed by Roversi.

7.0 6.0 8.0 6.0/10

Irrelevantly heavy
Hello guys, today I'm commenting on a fragrance that I've seen very often in, say, turquoise shops, so I finally had to test it to get the fragrance "behind me"! No, of course it's not like that, but I actually see the scent very often, and since I got a sample of it, I just tested it to get the scent "behind me", mu ha ha ha :D It's about the scent Alaïa.
Anyway, it's about the scent Alaïa.

Alaïa was by the way a Tunisian fashion designer, who became famous especially for his figure-hugging women's clothing in the 80s. Among other things, he was also called the king of stretch (oh man oh man, I'm sure certain pictures will come into my head again soon... especially now in summer,... oh man oh man!!!!), because he also worked a lot with stretchy materials, as well as with a lot of leather (you don't make it easy for me not to think about certain things, waaah!).

Anyway, to be honest, I always thought the fragrance was quite popular... but when I look at the average ratings, it seems to go down less well with you perfumes! But I see that now, since I now come to the fragrance description!

The fragrance:
The fragrance begins with pink pepper and therefore smells slightly fruity-sweet, but also a little spicy. In addition, there are (still) indeterminable flowers, which will probably become even heavier later, but now smell more like the flower water in flower shops, with which the scent also has a slightly aquatic, but not really fresh scent (and what perhaps this indicated air chord is). The fragrance is becoming increasingly floral-sweeter, although I cannot say exactly where the sweet notes come from. It could be the musk that is only not yet properly recognizable, even if the scent now already radiates quite animalistic. You can still smell roses a little, otherwise it will soon smell of slightly sultry flowers.
Later the flowery notes smell much heavier, not as violent as ylang-ylang for example, but still the flowery scents appear as if this were a more mature scent. The sweetness turns up again shortly before the end, smells good in itself, but then evaporates faster again, so that the later base only smells flowery, and this also rather irrelevant, because you already know such scents from many scents. If you like that, you get a fragrance that is neither good nor really bad,... a fragrance that you can actually save yourself...

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The Sillage is above average and therefore still well perceptible at one. The shelf life is quite high with over twelve hours due to the heavier floral notes.

The bottle:
The bottle is rectangular and glossy black. On the front you can see tactile patterns in the form of circles and triangles that have been worked into the glass. The name of the fragrance was printed in the middle of the bottle. The lid is cylindrical, gold-plated and looks like a reel or spool. Looks pretty nice, even if the lid might look a little ostentatious.

Well, I didn't find Alaïa that intoxicating either. For me, it is simply much too trivial, smells slightly diluted and simply boring. Sure, it's quite feminine, and the pink pepper is good, but as I said it really smells like 1000 flower scents, all of which are indistinguishable from each other. In addition, this one has the "aftertaste" of a somewhat heavy flowery fragrance towards the end, which doesn't really smell stuffy, but is just bitter and heavy, as if one had overdosed oneself quite a bit with a fragrance.

In my opinion, this fragrance is more of a fragrance for going out in autumn and winter, but does not really need to be tested, unless you are really new among the snoopers, where you still have to smell everything and everyone :)

One question remains, however. And that's it: What the hell do you call the letter "i" with two dots on it? Googling is forbidden, and I bet, without googling you have no idea! Am I right? D
But so that you are a little smarter and can indicate something (and I have also looked everything up correctly): The colons above a vowel like the "i" are generally called Trema and are something like (syllable)separators between two vowels, so that these vowels are also pronounced individually (e.g. with the car brand Citroën). That is, the fragrance here is pronounced Ala-i-a and not Alaya or something like that :D
But to continue the smart-arse a little further: The colons on a, o and u are therefore NOT (in German) called Trema. These vowels are simply called umlauts, which as ä, ö and ü also count as own letters :D
If I made a mistake and there are mistakes here, then I don't want to know anything about it, after all I am your hopefully beloved, even if perhaps uneducated foreigner here... :DD

So, I have arrived at the end of my comment and wish you all a wonderful evening :))

Striking
Strict, feminine, without being obtrusively overloaded. I've been thinking about it for a long time, wanted to give the bottle away. Then after the many soft scent bubbles I wanted something distinctive. That's what I find in Alaia!
10.0 7.0 8.0 6.0/10

A very nice bottle
Luca Turin gives 5 stars for the ingenious reverse engineering of Alaia - Vorsprung durch Technik. I still find Audis as ugly as a pot and can't take any pleasure in Alaia either. I think the bottle, as well as the designer's designs, are great, but the attempt to transfer this aesthetics into the olfactory doesn't work in my eyes. This is, as so often, less due to the perfumer's talent than to the miserliness of the accountant. After the violent pink pepper prelude we glide into the banality of underfinanced floral chords. Are scent engineers just sitting in neon-lit labs in front of their PC and juggling with algorithms and GCM readouts of the competitor's scent, which they are supposed to fake, or are they allowed to smell real flowers in a garden to remind them what that triggers? Do they ever go into a stable or do they smell at least vintage Jicky or does the smell of Pokemons mean animalistic now? And the air chord probably refers to the atmosphere of an open-plan office? Perfume as a self-referential prison, yet postmodernism has long since come to an end. Nevertheless, Alaia ultimately succeeds in creating a convincing virtual scent dream: ladies/men's hairdresser in a small German town, hair, hair dryers and a gibberish of various functional and care products of medium quality, which together create a typical scent ambience that sometimes irritates the nose, right up to slight headaches - just like Alaia. The banality of everyday consumer-capitalist cosmetics with its profit-driven false promises of eternal beauty, filled into a beautiful vessel - Alaia can still be read as critical art in this sense. And it doesn't have to be pretty.
8.0 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

There's no " mystery"
Looking at this elegant black bottle on the drugstore's shelf, I was expecting to smell a very opulent and "mysterious " fragrance, spicy, intense and animalic. Not at all: when I tested, I smelled a light and indefined pale fragrance which could be compared to one of the cheap perfumes you can find at the market .It isn't bad,okay, but its price justifies only the precious packaging, not what there's inside.

PBullFriend 2 years ago
Base resembles Belle d'Opium, which is a nicer "synthetic." Combines all of the most piercing weapon-type synthetic notes available. Ouch.+3
1.5

by Agrafena
by JulieFä91
by JulieFä91

Popular Azzedine Alaïa

Alaïa (Eau de Parfum) by Azzedine Alaïa Alaïa (Eau de Parfum Blanche) by Azzedine Alaïa Alaïa Eau de Parfum Nude by Azzedine Alaïa Alaïa (Extrait de Parfum) by Azzedine Alaïa