Cristobal (1998)

Cristobal by Balenciaga

Cristobal is a popular perfume by Balenciaga for women and was released in 1998. The scent is sweet-floral. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Fig leaf, Carnation
Heart Notes Heart NotesFreesia, Jasmine, Peony
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by Seglein, last update on 22.09.2019

7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Smooth Resinous Oriental
I had never encountered Balenciaga CRISTOBAL before, whether in person or online, but Guusjes was kind enough to send me a sample of this now discontinued perfume. (Thank you!)

CRISTOBAL is a smooth and resinous, lightly spicy oriental perfume. Everything is blended together beautifully, and my first reaction upon donning this creation was: "It's a perfume." There is definitely a density here which I have found lacking in many recent launches, both mainstream and niche. Something has changed in the approach to perfume making, it seems.

This particular composition reminds me of several others in a vague way, although I would not say that it's a knock-off of anything else, or vice versa. Basically, CRISTOBAL offers a homogeneous layer of slightly sweet, vanilla and sandalwood-scented clean musk with far more base than flowers or spice. It's a pleasant scent and probably better made than some of the recent Balenciaga perfumes, which seem a bit synthetic by comparison.

I wish that I understood the logic behind the house of Balenciaga better. Why did they hand over RUMBA to Ted Lapidus? Why did they discontinue LE DIX? Sometimes business and perfumery seem to be very much at odds, though they are and can only be partners in this enterprise.

Abitvintage
Warm, creamy sweetness, verging on cloying.
Warm, creamy, sweetness. The carnation is ever so softly present, especially in the beginning, and gives it a gentle spice kick. I can definitely smell patchouli, sandalwood and vanilla, the white flowers too, although I can't identify them individually. I feel like I detect something else sweet and resinous along with the vanilla. Cristobal becomes very sweet on me after the dry-down, maybe even cloying. But, I find it yummy and lovely in the cooler weather. I think that I would not tolerate this well in warmer temps, it works best for me on a cool, crisp fall day, preferably in the evening.

This does remind me of Sahlini La Femme, but spicier and sweeter.

by Gandix
Gab es mal Krokodile in unseren Wäldern? ;)
by Simetra
by Echtdufte
by BBking
by BBking

Popular Balenciaga

Florabotanica by Balenciaga Balenciaga Paris by Balenciaga L'Essence by Balenciaga Rosabotanica by Balenciaga Le Dix (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Cristobal by Balenciaga B. Balenciaga by Balenciaga Ho Hang (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Rumba (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Michelle (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Talisman (Eau de Parfum) by Balenciaga Cristobal pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga B. Balenciaga Skin by Balenciaga Balenciaga pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga L'Eau Rose by Balenciaga Quadrille (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Portos (Eau de Cologne) by Balenciaga Cialenga (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Prélude (Parfum de Toilette) by Balenciaga Ho Hang Club (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga