Rosabotanica 2013

Rosabotanica by Balenciaga
Rosabotanica is a popular perfume by Balenciaga for women and was released in 2013. The scent is floral-fresh. It is being marketed by Coty.

Top Notes Top NotesBlue hyacinth, Fig leaf, Petitgrain
Heart Notes Heart NotesRose, Grapefruit, Cardamom, Pink pepper
Base Notes Base NotesWhite amber, Cedar, Vetiver, Patchouli, Woody notes

Submitted by Michael, last update on 18.03.2021.

The name says it all ?
Outside it was raining, I had (as so often) no umbrella with me and 4 hours break until the next rehearsal, so where to go with the time? First drink a coffee, then there was a nice bookstore around the corner...and suddenly there was a small perfumery right at the beginning of the passage I turned into : really not big, a little old-fashioned.
In one of the corners were Balenciaga fragrances, which I did not know until then, a bottle jumped me right in the eye : beautiful, lush flowers, massive lid in zebra-look : crazy, something wild, it made mood and desire to try.
I dared a cautious spray attempt, first on the test paper.
I'm not a perfumer, not a professional, just a nose person, the scent was different from anything I was wearing at the time, but interesting, I dared to give it a try on my skin.

Phew, a little loud, but not unpleasant.
Honestly, neither then nor now I perceive a hyacinth, not a blue one or any other, the scent starts with a rose (heavy, double garden rose that would still smell like a rose even dried), seeee very lightly powdered with something green, a little lemony (petitgrain?), this rose scent enveloped me, after a while I thought I also sniffed the delicious cardamom note, some graipfruit (very subtle, like smelling the peel), the rose becomes more oily, warmer.
Still a little later (in my case only after the little walk to a cafe) a very clear but not loud patchouli note comes in, it's like the lid in the zebra design : makes the rose younger, a little more unserious, less ladylike; after that something hard to define woody opens up, but that doesn't overload, that makes the scent more earthy, soapy in a good sense, the rose remains, it's very dominant, but I like it here.

I was simultaneously fascinated and unsettled by the play of the scent, and it certainly looked silly because I was permanently stuck with my nose on my arm.
Outside, the scent was clearer, a little sharper, in the coffee - warm, mixed with coffee scent just incredibly delicious.

Long story short - went back to the perfumery, 10 minutes later the beautiful bottle was mine, to this day I regret buying only this one : the price was affordable, something like 29€ for 50ml (I think) because it was the leftover fragrance for this perfumery.

It's not a subtle one, and it's not a morning or daytime fragrance, not an "I'm-perfect-anyday" one, but some evenings I love it, it's been one of my favourites since I bought it.
I love wearing it on stage, it's like a silk velvet stole and always puts me in a great mood, I feel more beautiful, elegant, you really only have to take one spray though.
On the skin Rosabotanica lasts longer than average, even after showering a small veil of it remains. On the clothes it holds an eternity : have my winter coat after a long break again rausgeholt and Rosabotanica daran erschnuppert.

The fragrance has a high recognition value, I have him until today but very few times on someone else met.

Green and Elegant
I absolutely love this. On me it's a rosebud that is just beginning to open, soft rose with the greeness of the leaves and stem clinging to it. It gets a bit more spicy as it dries down, but not in an overpowering way. The longevity is good, sillage is soft. It's green and elegant and by far the best of the many rose fragrances I've tried. The bottle is stunning too!

ScentFan
Good, but not a knockout
What I like about Rosabotanica and Florabotanica are their pairings of a dominant floral with some sort of leaf. With Florabotanica it's carnation and caladium leaf. Here's it's rose and fig leaf. Both also benefit from their other less common notes, and a quite nice vetiver. Yet, for me, Rosabotanica is an also-ran, not as good as several other rose fragrances I've encountered. Florabotanica, OTOH, is a knockout. I snapped it up. They were giving away minis of Rosabotanica and now that I've sniffed it, I know why. It's interesting rather than compelling. Nice, but not memorable. They gave me a hand cream and a purse vial, too. Oversell, because it's not selling is my guess.

At Least It's Better Than Florabotanica
Rosabotanica strikes me as "upbeat". A fragrance
only a woman of confidence can wear without
conflict. Rosabotanica is sexy, daring and
audacious. Unlike the obnoxious, green, horrid
Florabotanica. For some reason, I'm vaguely
reminded of Kilian's Back To Black Aphrodisiac.
Considerably because I keep thinking I'm smelling
honey. Balenciaga's "experimental rose" is the key
note, but it is the hyacinth which gives it body.
Rosabotanica is better figured with more structure.
Dare to be different and turn heads with Rosabotanica.

I can understand why many are disappointed with this fragrance, but Balenciaga is now distributed by Coty Prestige. Although you can't expect anything luxury grade from this company, Rosabotanica isn't nearly as "mass market" as Philosophy or the Vera Wang Princess line.

Synthetic green life
Fascinated by the forerunner of this scent, "Florabotanica", which is a green, synthetical, herbal-spicy mainstream-scent, I was curious to try "Rosabotanica". It's obvious that it was inspired by Balenciaga's first "botanical" creation from 2012. Spicy notes (cardamon, pink pepper) and many other synthetic versions of ingredients which evoke the "green family" have been tipped into the bottle of this new scent. Some fiddling and balancing with a dose of rose, fig leave, grapefruit and petitgrain - and a new Balenciaga fragrance is ready. In spite of the inclusion of rose, this scent remains cold, somewhat "architectural". And the star of the aromachemical show is the synthetic woody drydown which lasts a very long time and which cools things down even more. If you are a sucker for green fragrances with a light floral touch, give "Rosabotanica" a try, but be aware of the fact that in spite of its name, it smells very artificial.

by Fraroma
by Despoina
by InkiBlinki
by InkiBlinki

Popular Balenciaga

Cristobal by Balenciaga Florabotanica by Balenciaga Le Dix (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Ho Hang (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Balenciaga Paris by Balenciaga Balenciaga pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Michelle (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Quadrille (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Balenciaga Paris L'Essence by Balenciaga Portos (Eau de Cologne) by Balenciaga Le Dix (Parfum) by Balenciaga Cialenga (Parfum) by Balenciaga Rumba (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Talisman (Eau de Parfum) by Balenciaga B. Balenciaga by Balenciaga Ho Hang Club (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Eau de Balenciaga (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga B. Balenciaga Skin by Balenciaga Cialenga (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Cristobal pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga