Cristobal 1998

Cristobal by Balenciaga
8.3 / 10 151 Ratings
Cristobal is a popular perfume by Balenciaga for women and was released in 1998. The scent is floral-sweet. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top Notes BergamotBergamot Fig leafFig leaf CarnationCarnation
Heart Notes Heart Notes FreesiaFreesia JasmineJasmine PeonyPeony
Base Notes Base Notes PatchouliPatchouli SandalwoodSandalwood VanillaVanilla

Submitted by Seglein, last update on 22.12.2022.

2 in-depth fragrance descriptions

Helpful Review 4
Smooth Resinous Oriental
I had never encountered Balenciaga CRISTOBAL before, whether in person or online, but Guusjes was kind enough to send me a sample of this now discontinued perfume. (Thank you!)

CRISTOBAL is a smooth and resinous, lightly spicy oriental perfume. Everything is blended together beautifully, and my first reaction upon donning this creation was: "It's a perfume." There is definitely a density here which I have found lacking in many recent launches, both mainstream and niche. Something has changed in the approach to perfume making, it seems.

This particular composition reminds me of several others in a vague way, although I would not say that it's a knock-off of anything else, or vice versa. Basically, CRISTOBAL offers a homogeneous layer of slightly sweet, vanilla and sandalwood-scented clean musk with far more base than flowers or spice. It's a pleasant scent and probably better made than some of the recent Balenciaga perfumes, which seem a bit synthetic by comparison.

I wish that I understood the logic behind the house of Balenciaga better. Why did they hand over RUMBA to Ted Lapidus? Why did they discontinue LE DIX? Sometimes business and perfumery seem to be very much at odds, though they are and can only be partners in this enterprise.

Very helpful Review 8
Warm, creamy sweetness, verging on cloying.
Warm, creamy, sweetness. The carnation is ever so softly present, especially in the beginning, and gives it a gentle spice kick. I can definitely smell patchouli, sandalwood and vanilla, the white flowers too, although I can't identify them individually. I feel like I detect something else sweet and resinous along with the vanilla. Cristobal becomes very sweet on me after the dry-down, maybe even cloying. But, I find it yummy and lovely in the cooler weather. I think that I would not tolerate this well in warmer temps, it works best for me on a cool, crisp fall day, preferably in the evening.

This does remind me of Sahlini La Femme, but spicier and sweeter.

Pie Chart Radar Chart

Images

20 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Balenciaga

Florabotanica by Balenciaga Ho Hang (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Le Dix (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Balenciaga pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Quadrille (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Balenciaga Paris by Balenciaga Michelle (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Balenciaga Paris L'Essence by Balenciaga Le Dix (Parfum) by Balenciaga Cialenga (Parfum) by Balenciaga Portos (Eau de Cologne) by Balenciaga Rosabotanica by Balenciaga Ho Hang Club (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Eau de Balenciaga (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Talisman (Eau de Parfum) by Balenciaga Rumba (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga B. Balenciaga by Balenciaga Cristobal pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga Quadrille (Parfum) by Balenciaga Cialenga (Eau de Toilette) by Balenciaga