Balmain de Balmain (1998)

Balmain de Balmain by Balmain / Pierre Balmain
Bottle Design: Pierre Balmain, Xavier Rousseau

Balmain de Balmain is a popular perfume by Balmain / Pierre Balmain for women and was released in 1998. The scent is green-chypre. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Galbanum, Currant bud, Pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Jasmine, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Submitted by TVC15, last update on 06.09.2018

Brambles and Ferns
This is definitely a man's chypre. It's my type of chypre and I'm a woman, almost sixty. Yegads! That's spooky. And it is spooky to find this Jean Shrimpton of a perfume on my wrist. (She was famous for launching the mini skirt, being photographed by David Bailey and being the face of Chanel No 19)

This is a fougere in the first instance. I had some Morny Fougere scented shower gel and BdeB was perfect to use after my shower in combo.

This is superior to Molinard de Molinard in MHO and like MdeM, is availabel as a mini tester online. I would recommend a test run on this fragrance. Very little patchouli. Do try it with a Little Black Dress or a Little Black Negligee, or jeans and a tee (lashings of mascara and smoky eyes for the girls) Yeah, it is a walk down memory lane but the hedgerows are thick with blossom, moist with rain, and the soft mossy woods are near. Wallking with Pierre, very nice.
8.0/10

Aristocratic!
To me Balmain De Balmain is a beautiful and refined perfume that makes you feel like a noticeable elegant lady! THE LEAST!
I would describe it- on my skin- as a green chypre floral!

What can I say about it??
The truth.. I loved the top and middle notes but the dry down after a couple of hours it trouble me, all the flower notes are almost gone and the smell becomes too harsh and "manly"
Hmmm..you know what?? I don't care!..
I want this stuff!

Balmain de Balmain has an aura of aristocracy that nowadays can't be easily found!

Uncommon chypre
This marvelous chypre is yet another credit to the unassuming yet accomplished house of Balmain, which consistently offers fine fragrances at affordable prices.

Balmain de Balmain is a green, yet slightly sweet chypre that appeals to men and women alike. It opens with a bracing green bergamot and galbanum accord, but it must be the currant that sweetens it up just enough to keep my teeth from clenching. If I really focus, I can pick out occasional soft wafts of violet as this fragrance unfolds, but the slightly-sweet galbanum greenness continues throughout, even as the lovely vetiver-spiked chypre base comes to the fore.

I just love this classic. I think it's brilliant, and perfectly balanced. And because, as other reviewers have noted, it's underrated, you'll almost certainly be the only one in the room wearing it.

Unless, of course, you go to the same places I do.
5.0 10.0 7.0/10

Y lite
To me Balmain de Balmain is a kind of Y lite. On the same continuum as that greatly under-rated YSL beauty and not exactly lacking in complexity it somehow misses the dimensionality of Y, if complexity and dimensionality in a perfume can be considered slightly different qualities. Would you follow my drift if I told you it was less chewy than Y, and that in my book chewiness in a perfume is a thing greatly to be desired?

The green character of this perfume is overlaid by a rosey/jasminey hue. While I do confess that this slightly disappoints the green aficianado in me the well- behaved B de B is no less lovely for that and will indeed have you periodically sniffing your wrists. It is exceedingly pleasant in spring, it lasts and lasts and being highly affordable I don't hesitate in recommending it for your consideration.

out of time
Balmain de Balmain is best viewed as a part of the Balmain lineage rather than as a part of the trends of its time, the late 90s-early 00s. Perfumery and its audience were still wrestling with the extremes, unable to find a balance. And the extremes had gone that last step over the line. The 80s power fragrances, notoriously large and tiresome, took ethylmaltol as a cue and went from loud to shrieking. At the other end, the bland, sepia fragrances of the early nineties, in their search for penance for the cocaine-style perfumes of the 1980s, codified a style that embraced dilution in a failed attempt at minimalism. These limp, pallid fragrances were the perfect launching ground for the new homeopathy of perfume: the reconceptualization of water and air as scents.

Balmain de Balmain makes little sense among its cohorts. It doesn’t fit the mold of any of the trends and it doesn’t seem to target a particularly active demographic. But it takes its place in the Balmain line easily, matching up logically with its prececessors: Vent Vert (brisk and crisp), Jolie Madame (sharp and pitchy), Ivoire (another perfume out of step, out of time.)

The chypre genre is a large and unhurried one. Ingredients allowing, that is IFRA allowing, the chypre genre still has room for discovery. B d B isn’t earthshaking. It’s hardly even novel, but it is a very good perfume that engages the genre actively without seeming old or retro. It has all the attributes of a chypre: evolution, complexity and the feeling of engaged poise, that combination of austerity and vivaciousness that suggests intelligence at ease. Also, typically chypre, it suits many moods.

We chypre fans love to split hairs in sub-categorizing chypres. Fruity, green, dry, hesperidic, ambery, etc.. I consider B de B a floral chypre. While there is plenty of galbanum, and B de B has a green feel, its use of blackcurrant bud is the defining feature. A heavy hand with blackcurrant can make a perfume tip back and forth between piquant and pissy, but modulated by the galbanum, jasmine and labdanum in the mix, B de B has a long arc that streches from starchy, stem-snapping coolness to a quiet cool/warm, mossy/ambery finish over a period of 10-12 hours.

1998 was actually an interesting year in mainstream perfumery. It produces a number of perfumes that stood apart from the 80s-90s dilemma I mentioned above (Bvlgari Black, Feu d’Issey, Kenzo Jungle, Guerlain Coriolan, Cartier Declaration) and heralded some solutions on the horizon. Balmain ran head-first into the chypre genre and comes out with a gorgeous little black dress of a perfume. A smart choice any year.
7.5 10.0 10.0 8.5/10

Underrated green chypre
This one has a true unisex appeal! Top-notes are bergamot, a mixture of herbs I can't take apart and some leathery notes which add up to a characteristic cloud recognizable on the spot. After a short while, "Balmain de Balmain" develops are more flowery aspect, probably some jasmine here, giving way to a classic chypre mix based on oakmoss and resins.
"Balmain de Balmain’s" development is a pleasure to observe on my skin, the scent lasts and lasts and does not cease to please my senses.
Another big plus: "Balmain de Balmain" is not expensive, but "rare" in the sense that you'll probably be the only one in your neighourhood wearing it.

A great alternative to "Miss Balmain" (too bitter and leathery for me) or "Ivoire" (which I find too harsh and soapy). "Balmain de Balmain" seems to be underrated in spite of its highly distinctive character. I find it marvellous to spray on when you feel you need a bit of élan and energy. I also find it quite sensuous, playing on the scale of middle and bottom tonalities like a beautiful violoncello. Give it a try! No roaring success for "Balmain de Balmain" on the market, nevertheless, I think it is a great way to wear a very unique fragrance with elegance and taste.
5.0 2.5 6.0/10

disappearing act!
I like Balmain de Balmain, another pleasant soapy-green scent from this interesting house. It's pretty, refined, and unisex. Unfortunately, my reviewing is hampered by the fact that it disappears so quickly on my skin. I tried it twice, several months apart, and found it pretty much disappearing after an hour. (This isn't my usual problem - many perfumes stick with me all day after one spray.)Chemistry is such an odd thing.

by IrisNobile