Jolie Madame 1953 Eau de Toilette

Jolie Madame (Eau de Toilette) by Balmain
Jolie Madame (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Balmain for women and was released in 1953. The scent is floral-chypre. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesArtemisiaArtemisia BergamotBergamot GardeniaGardenia CorianderCoriander NeroliNeroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris rootOrris root JasmineJasmine NarcissusNarcissus RoseRose TuberoseTuberose
Base Notes Base NotesOakmossOakmoss CoconutCoconut LeatherLeather MuskMusk PatchouliPatchouli VetiverVetiver CivetCivet

Submitted by TVC15, last update on 11.07.2022.

6 in-depth fragrance descriptions

Chickenpotpi
Nice, but know what version you're getting with this one
As its been said, there's a lot of differences between vintage and the recent versions, even more so with parfum to edt!

The current EDT I have is more like a violet candy with suede note thrown in. Slightly loud on the floral at first spray but it calms down quickly. I don't get any tobacco or oakmoss at all. Sillage is a little heavy at first but lightens considerably (I use 3-4 sprays), but longevity is quite bad, about 3-4 hours.

The vintage parfum is way way deeper and lasts a long time. leather in this borders on horse stable (could be the added civet who knows) and I FINALLY get tobacco in all its gloriousness! And though I smell the florals I can now pick out different ones. Like, I now can tell its violet leaf, rose, jasmine dirtyness and gardenia;. I don't smell any tuberose at all to be honest. I can smell the vetiver as well. These notes to me smell way more natural...likely because they were, than the more recent version. The musk is really divine here, its way in the back but not harsh its just beautiful.

This perfume has multiple stages, and its really nice to finally get them.

Now that I have the vintage I do smell the syntheticness of the current version. I would advise that if you already like and enjoy the current, don't get vintage, sometimes its best to not know....you know, pandora's box and all that.

Its unusual for sure in both recent and vintage versions but, its no contest as to what smells better to me.

Sueded Violets
My version of Balmain JOLIE MADAME is clearly the reformulation, but I like it anyway. To my nose, it's a blast of unsweetened violet petals (not a contradiction in terms) and powdery suede. In some ways the combination strikes me as rather odd, but that is probably also why I like it!

Whenever I wear this perfume, I think of Hermès KELLY CALECHE, which seems to use a similar suede note. Somehow JOLIE MADAME is more appealing to me, although here, too, if I overspray, then regrets ensue, especially since the sillage is already quite big. It's the suede note, in particular, which is easy for me to overdose on, as I find myself literally aspirating suede. "Too many violets," on the other hand, is in fact a contradiction in terms! The violet here smells greenish without smelling like violet leaf, as strange as that may sound.

The case of JOLIE MADAME is probably another one where if I knew the original perfume--which boasts tons of notes in no way detectable by me here--I might be disappointed by this version. But I don't, so I'm not. The greenish violets and the suede play off one another in an appealing way, and I enjoy wearing this eccentric creation now and then.

The longevity is also great, and I love the scent the morning after applying this perfume, so that's more evidence of the high quality of this creation.

Gris De Perle
The first time I tried Jolie Madame (vintage EdT) on my skin, I found it to be the perfect match to Dior Fahrenheit. Its top notes are all about cool, smooth leather and the silvery sheen of violet leaf for me. Later on the delicate, perfectly blended florals, spice and just a drop of juicy citrus kick in, and it's pure heaven from then on - powdery, cool, silvery-green and with a beautiful light sillage.

I also find this fragrance exceptionally wearable of all things. It's as easy to slip into, as the perfect satin gown in my favorite gris de perle shade.

Jolie Madame
The Opening starts with i can detect
Lily Rose jasmine neroli and it dries
down to the dark underworld of woods and Leather It's like the Greek Legend
Persephone. when she was the maiden Kore and she picked Sweet crisp flowers
Represent the upperworld Until the ground beneath her Opened up And she was snached and aducted By the master
of the Underworld HADES! Represents The Leatherly Aspect of this Perfume
this is what this perfume reminds me of
Persephone's Decent.

Spring woodlands and 1950s elegance
When the weather forecast announced rain today, I knew exactly what perfume to wear. Jolie Madame is my first choice for rainy spring days - it smells amazing under the umbrella! Although it contains many notes, I sum it up to leather, violet leaves and oakmoss. It's soft and smooth, nothing rough or sharp about it. There is nothing quite like it, but perhaps one could place it somewhere between Bandit (greener and less floral) and, as the previous reviewer mentions, Fahrenheit (leather and violet).

I have the edt in cylindrical bottle, which I believe is from the 90s, a smaller edt bottle which is older, and a vintage square bottle of the parfum. The 90s bottle is the airiest, haziest, the smaller bottle is earthier, and the parfum has the clearest colours, so to speak, and more pronounced floral notes - I even get sweet whiffs of the coconut here.

It has a clear sense of spring, nature, moss and wildflowers to it. Reminds me of Easter a few years ago, when I went to England with my family and we went for a walk in an open woodland, with thick, luminous bluebell carpets as far as the eye could see.

At the same time, it has a cool, feminine elegance, like a stylish 1950s lady in heels, skirt suit, suede gloves and a wide-brimmed hat.

Two very different images, but I am reminded of both.

Jolie Madame is timeless and beautiful, with a safe place in my spring wardrobe.
More reviews

2 short views on the fragrance
MatuxMatux 1 year ago
A floral chypre with strong animalic topnotes that is somehow dated, not so if worn discreetly.
CumulnimbusCumulnimbus 6 years ago
Classic elegance of violets and leather. Why was it discontinued? This beauty deserved to live forever!

Images

20 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Balmain

Vent Vert (1947) (Eau de Toilette) by Balmain Ébène de Balmain (Eau de Toilette) by Balmain Carbone / Carbone de Balmain by Balmain Miss Balmain (Eau de Toilette) by Balmain Ambre Gris by Balmain Monsieur Balmain (1964) (Eau de Toilette) by Balmain Monsieur Balmain (1990) by Balmain Ivoire (2012) by Balmain Balmain de Balmain (Eau de Toilette) by Balmain Vent Vert (1990) by Balmain Ivoire (1980) / Ivoire de Balmain (Eau de Toilette) by Balmain La Môme by Balmain Extatic Intense Gold by Balmain Extatic Tiger Orchid by Balmain Extatic (Eau de Parfum) by Balmain Jolie Madame (Parfum) by Balmain Eau d'Ivoire (2013) by Balmain Vent Vert (1947) (Parfum) by Balmain Extatic Gold Musk by Balmain Ivoire (1980) / Ivoire de Balmain (Parfum) by Balmain