Jolie Madame (1953) Eau de Toilette

Jolie Madame (Eau de Toilette) by Balmain / Pierre Balmain

Jolie Madame (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Balmain / Pierre Balmain for women and was released in 1953. The scent is floral-leathery. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesArtemisia, Bergamot, Gardenia, Coriander, Neroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris root, Jasmine, Narcissus, Rose, Tuberose
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Coconut, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Vetiver, Civet

Submitted by TVC15, last update on 15.03.2019

5.0 7.5 7.5 9.0/10

Gris De Perle
The first time I tried Jolie Madame (vintage EdT) on my skin, I found it to be the perfect match to Dior Fahrenheit. Its top notes are all about cool, smooth leather and the silvery sheen of violet leaf for me. Later on the delicate, perfectly blended florals, spice and just a drop of juicy citrus kick in, and it's pure heaven from then on - powdery, cool, silvery-green and with a beautiful light sillage.

I also find this fragrance exceptionally wearable of all things. It's as easy to slip into, as the perfect satin gown in my favorite gris de perle shade.
7.5 10.0 10.0 8.0/10

Sueded Violets
My version of Balmain JOLIE MADAME is clearly the reformulation, but I like it anyway. To my nose, it's a blast of unsweetened violet petals (not a contradiction in terms) and powdery suede. In some ways the combination strikes me as rather odd, but that is probably also why I like it!

Whenever I wear this perfume, I think of Hermès KELLY CALECHE, which seems to use a similar suede note. Somehow JOLIE MADAME is more appealing to me, although here, too, if I overspray, then regrets ensue, especially since the sillage is already quite big. It's the suede note, in particular, which is easy for me to overdose on, as I find myself literally aspirating suede. "Too many violets," on the other hand, is in fact a contradiction in terms! The violet here smells greenish without smelling like violet leaf, as strange as that may sound.

The case of JOLIE MADAME is probably another one where if I knew the original perfume--which boasts tons of notes in no way detectable by me here--I might be disappointed by this version. But I don't, so I'm not. The greenish violets and the suede play off one another in an appealing way, and I enjoy wearing this eccentric creation now and then.

The longevity is also great, and I love the scent the morning after applying this perfume, so that's more evidence of the high quality of this creation.

Chickenpotpi
Nice, but know what version you're getting with this one
As its been said, there's a lot of differences between vintage and the recent versions, even more so with parfum to edt!

The current EDT I have is more like a violet candy with suede note thrown in. Slightly loud on the floral at first spray but it calms down quickly. I don't get any tobacco or oakmoss at all. Sillage is a little heavy at first but lightens considerably (I use 3-4 sprays), but longevity is quite bad, about 3-4 hours.

The vintage parfum is way way deeper and lasts a long time. leather in this borders on horse stable (could be the added civet who knows) and I FINALLY get tobacco in all its gloriousness! And though I smell the florals I can now pick out different ones. Like, I now can tell its violet leaf, rose, jasmine dirtyness and gardenia;. I don't smell any tuberose at all to be honest. I can smell the vetiver as well. These notes to me smell way more natural...likely because they were, than the more recent version. The musk is really divine here, its way in the back but not harsh its just beautiful.

This perfume has multiple stages, and its really nice to finally get them.

Now that I have the vintage I do smell the syntheticness of the current version. I would advise that if you already like and enjoy the current, don't get vintage, sometimes its best to not know....you know, pandora's box and all that.

Its unusual for sure in both recent and vintage versions but, its no contest as to what smells better to me.
7.5 10.0 7.5 6.0/10

Jolie Madame
The Opening starts with i can detect
Lily Rose jasmine neroli and it dries
down to the dark underworld of woods and Leather It's like the Greek Legend
Persephone. when she was the maiden Kore and she picked Sweet crisp flowers
Represent the upperworld Until the ground beneath her Opened up And she was snached and aducted By the master
of the Underworld HADES! Represents The Leatherly Aspect of this Perfume
this is what this perfume reminds me of
Persephone's Decent.

Cumulnimbus 3 years ago
Classic elegance of violets and leather. Why was it discontinued? This beauty deserved to live forever!+3
5.0