Jolie Madame (Eau de Toilette) by Balmain

Jolie Madame 1953 Eau de Toilette

Rossiniopera
26.03.2021 - 10:11 AM

Spring woodlands and 1950s elegance

When the weather forecast announced rain today, I knew exactly what perfume to wear. Jolie Madame is my first choice for rainy spring days - it smells amazing under the umbrella! Although it contains many notes, I sum it up to leather, violet leaves and oakmoss. It's soft and smooth, nothing rough or sharp about it. There is nothing quite like it, but perhaps one could place it somewhere between Bandit (greener and less floral) and, as the previous reviewer mentions, Fahrenheit (leather and violet).

I have the edt in cylindrical bottle, which I believe is from the 90s, a smaller edt bottle which is older, and a vintage square bottle of the parfum. The 90s bottle is the airiest, haziest, the smaller bottle is earthier, and the parfum has the clearest colours, so to speak, and more pronounced floral notes - I even get sweet whiffs of the coconut here.

It has a clear sense of spring, nature, moss and wildflowers to it. Reminds me of Easter a few years ago, when I went to England with my family and we went for a walk in an open woodland, with thick, luminous bluebell carpets as far as the eye could see.

At the same time, it has a cool, feminine elegance, like a stylish 1950s lady in heels, skirt suit, suede gloves and a wide-brimmed hat.

Two very different images, but I am reminded of both.

Jolie Madame is timeless and beautiful, with a safe place in my spring wardrobe.

Latest Reviews

RossinioperaRossiniopera 9 months ago
Le Parfum - Sonia Rykiel

Le Parfum Sophisticated maybe
In 1988, before I was twelve, I went to London with my family. While shopping, we discovered a tiny boutique that had the coolest sweaters I had ever seen in my life. I begged my mum to get something, but she could only afford one and naturally...

RossinioperaRossiniopera 1 year ago
Nitchevo (Parfum de Toilette) - Juvena

Nitchevo (Parfum de Toilette) Earthy, animalic chypre
I wouldn't really call this a spicy-floral, as described above - to me it's more an earthy-animalic-leather-chypre. I find it quite dark, and the spiciness is coriander, typical chypre-style. Lots of castoreum, one of my favourite animalic...