Black Amethyst (2008)

Black Amethyst by Bath & Body Works

Black Amethyst is a perfume by Bath & Body Works for women and was released in 2008. The scent is floral-earthy. It was last marketed by Limited Brands.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Fruity notes, Mandarin, Melon, Orange, Tangerine
Heart Notes Heart NotesFreesia, Gardenia, Camellia, Magnolia, Lily-of-the-valley, Peony, Tuberose
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by Schnuffi, last update on 11.10.2016.

6.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

Oriane
Smells Like Chanel Coco Mademoiselle Only BETTER!
This review is primarily for the BODY SPRAY and the SHOWER GEL. (I have since acquired the EdT as well.)

Top Notes: Bergamot, Orange, Mandarin Orange, Tangerine.

Heart Notes: Lily of the Valley, Magnolia, Gardenia, Tuberose, Freesia, Peony, Camelia.

Base Notes: Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Musk, Vanilla.

I recently tried three new fragrances from B&BW, including Black Amethyst, and it has knocked off my socks!! Wow!!! This is the most SOPHISTICATED B&BW scent I have ever smelt!! I bought the shower gel and the body spray. Immediately upon using the shower gel I thought to myself "oh, my goodness, if the body spray smells even half this good I have found one gorgeous fragrance!!!" Needless to say, the body spray is divine, too. The shower gel is the most concentrated of any of my B&BW shower gels. It lathered up so rich and creamy I could not believe it, and the fragrance from it is as good as any EdT I have ever used.

Black Amethyst is a very sophisticated, sexy, and mature fragrance, and what is more, it smells like Chanel Coco Mademoiselle only BETTER! I have never been able to wear Mademoiselle because of its extreme sharpness, but THIS I can wear! It has all of the wonderful top notes, but it does not smell razor sharp as does Mademoiselle. If you and/or someone you know likes Mademoiselle, try Black Amethyst. I wager you will not be disappointed. You will definitely love the price, too!

This fragrance is worthy of dressing up for the day/evening. It is "date" worthy and special occasion worthy. In fact, now that I have discovered it, I plan to buy back ups of both the body spray and the shower gel, and I will order the body creme as well as look around for a bottle of the discontinued EdT. I could not be more thrilled with this fragrance! I do not give these sorts of enthusiastic reviews very often, but Black Amethyst deserves all of the praise I can heap upon her. As another reviewer mentioned, Black Amethyst does have a strong vetiver note, but it is well blended. If you cannot abide vetiver, then Black Amethyst is probably not the fragrance for you.

Look at all of the notes. If these are notes you generally like, then you will love them in Black Amethyst. I cannot say enough good things about this fragrance. I only wish I had discovered this beauty several years ago! : )

These scores are within the B&BW family of scents. They are not meant to be compared to the same type of scored given to a Guerlain or a Chanel for example.

Fragrance: 9.5/10

Projection: 8.5/10

Sillage: 8.5/10

Longevity: 6.5/10
9.0/10

LicoriceRain
A Tuxedo fragrance, for sure!
I think Black Amethyst is dark, heavy, and mysterious and definitely has that “wow” factor. Yes, I’ve heard how it’s a rip-off of Tom Ford’s Black Orchid, but it's NOTHING like Black Orchid. Black Amethyst is better, although slightly too floral for my taste. But still, a huge favorite of mine. I can easily imagine wearing this with a tuxedo at a formal event. It seems especially good in cold weather. And because it’s from Bath and Body Works, Black Amethyst is available in spray, lotion, and shower gel, which is a huge plus.
5.0 7.5 7.5 5.0/10

Another of the Euphoria brethren...
Another purple woody floriental in the style of Calvin Klein EUPHORIA, Bath and Body Works BLACK AMETHYST was, I believe, discontinued. This is quite masculine for a feminine scent--it packs a big punch of vetiver. But it is also quite sweet for a masculine scent, with a bunch of dark fruitiness. It's loud and assertive and bold and distinct from everything else in the BBW line-up, but it is definitely a sibling to Calvin Klein EUPHORIA.

So this was an idea whose time had evidently come, because purple woody florientals are today in abundance, only six short years after the launch of the first one: Calvin Klein EUPHORIA. I myself do not believe that anyone consciously set out to copy EUPHORIA, but anyone who launched a purple woody floriental gender-conflicted perfume after 2006 is bound to be compared to the first member of this genre.

I do not own a bottle of BLACK AMETHYST, although I have owned and used various of the body products, all of which boast a big boost of the scent. I happened upon a sample vial of the edt this evening, and as I was already in the throes of purple woody florientalia, I decided to give this one a sniff. Yes, it does remind me of EUPHORIA, it really does.

by Madkat
by Madkat

Popular Bath & Body Works

Sensual Amber by Bath & Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar by Bath & Body Works Twilight Woods by Bath & Body Works Sea Island Cotton by Bath & Body Works Coconut Lime Verbena by Bath & Body Works Japanese Cherry Blossom (Eau de Toilette) by Bath & Body Works Vanilla Bean Noel by Bath & Body Works Moonlight Path by Bath & Body Works Dark Kiss (Eau de Toilette) by Bath & Body Works Coconut Lime Breeze by Bath & Body Works Chocolate Amber by Bath & Body Works Cashmere Glow by Bath & Body Works Forever Red by Bath & Body Works Cherry Blossom by Bath & Body Works Gingerbread Latte by Bath & Body Works Midnight Pomegranate by Bath & Body Works Sweet Pea by Bath & Body Works Cotton Blossom by Bath & Body Works Enchanted Orchid by Bath & Body Works Secret Wonderland by Bath & Body Works