Twilight Woods (2009)

Twilight Woods by Bath & Body Works

Twilight Woods is a perfume by Bath & Body Works for women and was released in 2009. The scent is sweet-woody. It is being marketed by Limited Brands.

Top Notes Top NotesCoconut, Mandarin, Forest fruits
Heart Notes Heart NotesApricot, Frangipani, Freesia, Honeysuckle, Mimosa
Base Notes Base NotesWoods, Iris, Musk, Oud, Vanilla

Submitted by Lobelia, last update on 11.10.2016

7.0 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

One of Bath & Body Works' Gems
Twilight Woods has a dewy quality - the fruity notes & musk here make it evocative of a wet forest, yet there's a creaminess to it, too, which gives it that warm & cozy vibe. The coconut and orange notes lend an exotic kick. It feels like every note has a particular role to fill, and together they form a scent very appropriate for its name. One of the better offerings from B&BW!
7.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Misleading Name for a Lovely Fragrance
The first thing to say about this fragrance is that its name is totally misleading. I find nothing "dark" or "shadowy" , and I find no "woods."

This review is for the body spray layered with the shower gel and body creme/lotion.

The listed Notes are as follow:

Top Notes: Mandarin Orange, Coconut, Wild Berries.

Heart Notes: Honeysuckle, Freesia, Frangipani, Mimosa, and Apricot.

Base Notes: Musk, Vanilla, Orris Root, Agar Wood, and Woodsy Notes.

Of the listed notes, I definitely perceive coconut, honeysuckle, blue (?) berries, a lot of mimosa, a lot of frangipani, and a bit of apricot. In the deep dry down, I get hints of musk and vanilla but no woods. I am unfamiliar with agar wood (oud), so I cannot say if I can smell it or not, but I would say I do not feel as though I can perceive any "woodsy" notes in Twilight Woods.

Twilight Woods is a nice fragrance. It sweet and fruity in a sort of beachy, tropical way; however, it does not smell like suntan lotion. It is not cloying or syrupy. The scent is cuddly, and I think it is a fragrance that can easily be worn year round. It is not amongst my top three B&BW's fragrances, but I do like it quite well, and I find that on certain days and for certain circumstances, it is highly apropos. Anyone who likes coconut, honeysuckle, and blue (?) berries will probably like Twilight Woods. It borders on the gourmand but never becomes so "foodie" to my nose that it feels edible.

Any time I purchase from B&BWs, I purchase the complete set of a fragrance, i.e. body spray with matching shower gel, body creme, and lotion. Layering the shower gel and body creme/lotion with the body spray easily gives me 12 to 14 hours longevity which is better than my significantly more expensive fragrances including my Guerlains, Diors, and Chanels. If your skin and scalp lean toward the oily end of the spectrum, try using the shower gels as shampoos. The oil in your scalp will really lock in the fragrance and add to your overall fragrance projection, sillage, and longevity.

These scores are within the B&BW family of scents. They are not meant to be compared to the same type of scored given to a Guerlain or a Chanel for example.

Overall Fragrance: 7/10

Projection: 9/10 for the first hour lessening somewhat thereafter.

Sillage: 91/0 for the first hour and lessening somewhat thereafter.

Longevity: 10/10 if layered with matching products; otherwise, 7/10 if liberally applied, which is still pretty darn good for a body spray.

If you seek a fragrance with a strong woody base, this is not it in my opinion. It is nevertheless one of B&BW's best fragrances, so of course it has been relegated to on-line availability only just like all of my other favourite B&BW fragrances including Sensual Amber, Cashmere Glow, Dark Kiss, Black Amethyst, and most recently
5.0 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Twilight Woods-Nice Blend, Nice Bottle...Better Than Typical Fare for BBW
Twilight Woods needs to be sampled more than once to be judged. It's a wonderful, soft, musky, vanilla amber, lasting over four hours. It's boozy, reminding me of a hint of a rum for sensuality. It's sillage is strong as a warm scent for fall and nights to cozy up with that special someone.
Its description by Bath and Body Works is interesting as a sales tool, to say the least. "A hypnotic blend of apricot nectar, mimosa petals, and Tuscan cypress inspired by the enticing woods at twilight". Even the current bottle is enticing. That's what drew me in, and I wasn't displeased. This is a pleasant fragrance, without any surprises. I was most curious about the coconut and the oud, which isn't prominent at all. A nice blend, a nice bottle, a nice price if you can get it on sale. No images came to mind of any Twilight Woods and I do wish they had...I just wasn't hypnotized.

Twilight Woods
A very warm, comforting scent. The coconut and vanilla really stand out on my skin. I've wanted to try this one out for awhile. I had the men's Twilight Woods but I found it very flat and after some time I became bored with it and gave my bottle away. I used to layer it with Warm Vanilla Sugar to give it some added depth. The women's version is much more to my liking. It has the added sweetness that the men's version was lacking. I have to comment on the new, redesigned bottle (2013). I really don't like it at all. It's clunky, chunky and tacky looking. I hate the gold plastic cap. Why did they feel the need to change it? I preferred the previous edition with a tree on the front of it. That design was simpler, cleaner, modern and more appealing. The newly designed bottle looks like some kind of cheap throwback. I don't like the overall style of it at all. Sometimes things are better left alone! Luckily, the cozy fragrance saves the hideous bottle. I believe that this scent is one of Bath and Body Works best!
5.0 5.0 5.0/10

A very basic creamy vanilla
Twilight Woods started off very much like your typical, creamy vanilla scent. Not that I mind, as I'm quite partial to anything smooth and sweet, but I had to note that it was nothing out of the ordinary.

The top notes were a pleasant blend of vanilla, frangipani and subtle, juicy berries. I couldn't detect much in the way of the coconut, in fact it's barely even there. The vanilla tends to make Twilight Woods smell warm and sensual without making it too gourmand.

The scent seems nicely balanced, despite its lack of woodsiness. I must admit that I'm slightly perturbed that there are no woods to speak of in this fragrance, as the name misleads one into thinking there is, and should be. Either way, the vanilla makes up for it with its creamy opening, and eventual powdery drydown.

Unfortunately Twilight Woods turned a little sour with my chemistry, and I'm not sure whether I've tested this fragrance on an 'off day'. I will test again for sure, but for now, I'll advise against any blind purchases of Twilight Woods.

I don't get Bath and Body Works in my country, so this fragrance is very new to me. As a lover of all things vanillary, this scent does appeal to me, especially since it isn't on the sickly, sweet side of things. I think it would be a great buy if bought with a variety of layering options, like a lotion and shower gel, but on its own, as a perfume, it just misses the mark.
4.0/10

Giftable
I received the body spray, shower gel, and lotion as a gift. What a nice gift! The gifter had my preferences nailed and made a wise choice. I'm delighted.

I've always steered clear of the BBW signature line. Usually I found the fragrances to be too simple and either too floral or too fruity. Twilight woods isn't in that mold.

On me, this wears as a vanilla musk with a hint of coconut and barely there woodiness. I don't get the honeysuckle, freesia or orange. I detect a creamy, fleshy fruit, likely the apricot. The combination of coconut milk & a creamy fruit seems to distinguish this scent from other vanilla musks.

Twilight Woods body spray wears close to the skin and will be very nice layered. Best for evenings or colder weather. As a comforting scent, I will probably use this on weekends and before bed. I like it very much, but my Dear Husband found it wholly unremarkable.

Sampling highly recommended for musk & vanilla lovers. It's also a safe bet for gifting - lotion, spray, & gel.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

=====

UPDATE: I've had a change in opinion on this one. My Dear Husband, who is usually agnostic about what I wear, has nicknamed this scent "cotton candy musk." Since my DH has no idea that sugar is "in" and wouldn't be able to differentiate between an Aquolina and a Chanel, this was most certainly not what I wanted to hear. Also, a dear friend is wearing this regularly - it is thin on her, all coconut & sweet, and more appropriate for her granddaughter than for her, imo.

A guilty pleasure, yes. But not something I will wear in public ... or around my DH anymore.

Rating: 2 out of 5.
7.5 7.5 7.5 6.0/10

PBullFriend
romantic walk through fruit soup
This BBW "Signature Collection" edt has this blurb on the box: "Master perfumers have blended apricot nectar, mimosa petals, and Tuscan cypress to create this hypnotic fragrance inspired by a romantic walk in enchanted woods." (Are there any woods, in Tuscany or elsewhere, that would contain apricot, mimosa, and cypress trees, or are these imaginary woods?)

A neighbor of mine, of Norwegian ancestry, makes fruit soup in the winter, mostly from dried apricots and prunes. Twilight Woods smells much like her soup, but sweeter. It's a lovely smell to enjoy in a mug once or twice a year, but it's going to take a long time for me to use up this bottle.

by Sorceress