Terror & Magnificence 2019

Terror & Magnificence by Beaufort
Terror & Magnificence is a new perfume by Beaufort for women and men and was released in 2019. The scent is smoky-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Perfumer & Creative Guidance

Pia Long (Parfümherstellerin)

Top Notes Top NotesBirch tar, Black pepper, Saffron
Heart Notes Heart NotesSomalian frankincense, Kyphi, Papyrus, Tobacco absolute
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Stone, Haitian vetiver, Labdanum absolute, Myrrh

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 06.11.2020.

Samsamaran
A fragrant journey through an ancient time
I've had Terror and Magnificence lying here for a few months now and I've been thinking about a comment for a while. Somehow I always ended up rejecting him
In itself, I can't add much to Maggi's comment in the sense of an olfactory analysis. Instead, my nose is overwhelmed (or overtaxed) by the work. What remains for me is to reproduce the fragrance journey as an experience.

Terror and Magnificence. Beaufort is taking up a topic here. It is reported by an architect named Nicholas Hawksmoor. His work includes the integration of ancient Egyptian symbolism into the Christian church he planned. Beaufort even refers to this gentleman as "the devil's architect". To what extent this is true I would like to leave to church historians and experts. The church on the bottle is on the mood-setting moment for the fragrance. Gloomy, pointed, threatening, the building is enthroned centrally on the smooth, black surface.

And here begins the fragrance journey I perceive. It starts out stinging. A puff of cold smoke rises. The kind of smoke that rises from an almost extinguished fire. There's no embers whatsoever. One feels transported to a gloomy forest. Something bad happened here not too long ago. Was it a gang of robbers who broke camp? Or did the Sheriff's henchmen set fire to their remains? I don't care, just get out of here. Here is a moment of "terror" that the name already brings.

This synthetic of cold and smoke remains, but something new is added. One steps out of the forest into stands of an old venerable building. An old church. But at a time when the gentlemen still had something to say. When an angry look and a reprimanding word could decide about one's own path in life. You enter the church. It is still dark and you stand alone in front of the candles that the believers have lit. The smell of old songbooks is in the air. The paper has been filled with incense, musty, humid air for decades. It is still firmly believed to be there. The word is sacred. This is "Magnificence".

If you wait any longer, this note will not develop much further. Papyrus comes out more clearly. No more songbooks, but the leather-bound folios from which the Word of the Lord is proclaimed. The cold walls around you remain a little. Only it is no longer the main nave of the church. We're standing in the sacristy. In the heart, where the priest prepares Mass with the altar boys.

For me, Terror and Magnificence is a successful fragrance experience. A theme was chosen and the composition reflects a world of experience. If it were music, it would be a concept album.

Whether you can wear the scent, or when it suits you... I'll let everyone decide for themselves. For me, it's a fragrance journey. I do not like to experience them too often. But I find a fascination in it.
Meggi
Horror, terror, the before, the before and the Beaufort
My last English teacher (advanced course 1987-1990) was a rather unconventional type, at least at a time-honoured humanistic grammar school with centuries of tradition. A rocker (and jazzman!), for example, who didn't mind if who was not usable in the first two hours on Saturday morning due to the Friday evening party. The person was then simply left alone.

Once Mr. B. gave us back the 4-hour written exam on Saturday, which we had only written the previous Thursday: "You cannot believe how many cigarettes that cost me! Camel without filter, by the way. We willingly accepted one or two blurs in his corrections, because he basically decided in dubio pro discipulis and was not stingy with points.

One day he opened the lesson with: "Wow, last Saturday they were running 'Wetten, dass...?' and it was so bad again that my wife went into labor and had a baby Afterwards he distributed chocolates for the ladies and cigars for the gentlemen - but explicitly he also liked to do the other way round! It was one of those coincidences, which could not be better imagined, that just at that moment the head teacher entered the room. Our headmaster was... well, he was the headmaster of a venerable humanistic grammar school with centuries of tradition. He put the matter away astonishingly easily - but was content with a chocolate according to regulations
Mr. B. had a differentiation of vocabulary ready for our occupation with Gothic Novels, which should make two different levels of horror namable. "Horror" was at the top of the scale of horror, "terror" was the more or less tolerable, attenuated form. We need this thought later, now first to the fragrance:

Tar? Moderate at best, no comparison to the birch bomber 'Hyde'. Pepper, whatever. A little saffron muff is plausible. I immediately think of vetiver from the smoky corner, quickly and also flanked by warm, honey-like (incense) smoke. If desired, a hint of liquorice may be hinted at, a jagged note more clearly a papery note, presumably fed by vetiver.

Kyphi is a bottomless pit, because according to Wikipedia it is an ancient Egyptian incense, which can contain not only the usual suspects, but also flowers, fruit and honey and many other things, which are also listed here - or could be. In short: The term stands for all sorts of things that can be smoked and pyramidally kills practically everything.

Sounds like there's a terrible kako-osmia going on. Not at all. Rather, 'Terror & Magnificence' offers a homogeneous mixture, in which it is possible to recognize one or the other detail, but none of them plays itself into the foreground. The scent remains astonishingly close to the skin; no nagging from my wife, who usually reacts very ungraciously to my smoking manikin attitudes
The development of fragrances is also manageable. In the afternoon I would describe the candidate primarily as a character-full, smoky vetiver (ylacetate) scent with rubber applications. A dash of sweetness refines: honey, perhaps amber, each varieties of the smoke fraction. Gradually the companions move further forward and quote more and more openly sweet smokers like the below mentioned 'Sahara Noir' by Tom Ford. Judging by the silent silence of the Sillage, the timid 'Larmes du Désert' from the Atelier des Ors could of course also be considered as a partial reference.

A trace of vanilla is still in my mind. And finally, in the last few hours, I smell a final contribution from Chocolate Patchouli, which makes me think of 'Sandor 70's' from afar. Maybe mainly because I think it's so great and have worn it a lot in the past weeks. Nevertheless, I am happy to discover at least a little bit of this here.

Conclusion: If horror is the horror and terror is the scary, then the so-called terror from 'Terror & Magnificence' is roughly limited to a feeling as if a book read in a cozy environment is about telling someone something about a cuddly creepy story.

Far from the encroachment of some other Beauforts. Nevertheless, a beautiful, successful, quite clothing scent, which, however, lacks unique selling points.

My thanks go to M3000 for sharing.

Emorandeira
Oh! Do you come from a bbq around a firebone?
I can recognize high quality un this perfume... But this is not my cup of tea...i know that nowadays are the smoky smells trendy... But this one is too much for me. I can only smell a bit of very poeerful an dirty incense and lots of smoke... It is like the Next day off Saint johns night... After having been the whole night around a firebone... As smelling experience is wonderful... But i wouldnt like to smell like this! The performance is great. Very good longevity and moderate sillage (but more than enough for this smell)...

Scent: 5
Longevity: 8
Sillage: 6
Quality/price: 5
Versatility: 4
Originality: 9
Global: 6

EmorandeiraEmorandeira 11 months ago
I only can smell smoke, more smoke and a bit of a very powerful and dirty frankincense... I cant find the balsámic notes. Great performance

by PallasCC
by PallasCC

Popular Beaufort

Fathom V by Beaufort Cœur de Noir by Beaufort Iron Duke by Beaufort Vi Et Armis / East India by Beaufort Lignum Vitae by Beaufort 1805 Tonnerre / 1805 by Beaufort Rake & Ruin by Beaufort