Tonnerre 1805 2015

Tonnerre / 1805 by Beaufort
Tonnerre is a perfume by Beaufort for men and was released in 2015. The scent is smoky-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesGun powderGun powder LimeLime SmokeSmoke
Heart Notes Heart NotesBloodBlood BrandyBrandy SpindriftSpindrift
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber CedarwoodCedarwood Fir balsamFir balsam

Submitted by Zionist, last update on 07.07.2022.

(de)light my fire.
Sometimes is better not to over-analyze a fragrance structure when smelling it, unless we want to end up with a list of foregone impression.
(Beaufort generally &)Tonnere is the case in which the concept overwhelms the substance in order to convey a feeling, something perhaps visceral, coming from underneath.
Yes it is very smoky but there's much more( than smoked ham and bacon!!)......
It opens up with gun powder and lime and sea water.
Then a moist and rusty vibe comes in in order to evolve with a woody and balsamic ash and a hint of sulfur ( matches).
Besides that it seems to me very reductive to cut it off like like that .
I sense an imploded strength, something intense and dramatic that I like it a lot.
It's dark, daring, masculine, aggressive, in some way frightening and therefore mesmerizing.

A bushfire in a bottle
During 2021-22 COVID lockdowns I was working from home a lot. To keep my nose amused I decided to focus on some fragrance accords I really liked and see how far I could push them and still like them.
Smoke was one of the accords, so this naturally lead my to Beaufort, which is well known for its 'smoke bombs'. Tonnerre 1805 is perhaps the smokiest in its range and is often described as 'challenging'.
It opens with a massive blast of smoke. You will smell like you've been fighting a bushfire all day. It is so overwhelming it completely wipes out any other opening notes. It is such sensory overload at this stage that it almost gave me a headache.
I wondered how long I could tolerate this and whether I should shower to scrub it off. But I was up for the 'challenge'.
Eventually, it settles down a little - at this stage it merely smells like you've been manning the BBQ all day - and some lime and boozy notes emerge, and finally some indistinct woody notes. At this stage it's more interesting. If it had opened like this and then become tamer it could be a really interesting fragrance.
But that opening is a sensory assault. It would be hard to sit next to someone wearing this. Now I know that 'challenging' means unwearable.
In the end I did shower to remove the drydown and went fragrance-free the rest of the day to give my nose time to recover.
Beaufort also makes a moustache wax, which is a clue to who their target audience is.
NO smoked ham
Beaufort fragrances are always something special. Always different, usually brute. Some perceive these fragrances as a nuisance, others as the climax of the smoky olfactory guild. Well, my boss belongs to the first genre, he wanted to test in the office and wondered what was coming up. It was quite amusing, but that was on the edge.
Back to Beaufort: I myself appreciate Iron Duke, I recognize the theme in Vi et Armis and Fathom without wanting to consider them subjectively for me.
Tonnerre 1805, however, appears to me at first sight to be a successful scent and I only want to describe my view of things, as smoked ham is not to be seen here; rather, it is a well interwoven mixture of different scents. For this reason I wanted to have a more differentiated view. In fact, the fragrance does not come out of the bottle unrestrained like other Beaufort creations. It starts with a strong metallic note, gunpowder. This is alternatively staged by the tart lime, which gives the metal-containing element a certain appeal. It is self-explanatory that the whole thing here cannot take place without smoke. But it remains the smoke of a freshly fired weapon, there is no fire here, there are no impenetrable clouds of smoke on the horizon; so we are still at the gunpowder.
The further the fragrance marches, the more the metallic note changes. This is where this tone is created, which many associate with smoked bacon or similar. And they are probably not so wrong, because the metallic moves successively into more ferrous regions. Beaufort calls this ingredient blood. But this alone is not enough and I mean this quite objectively. The spice would be missing and thus a core element of the fragrance. What reads rather dreamily with Gischt, in the end, means the salty note, which comes across a bit airy. Splendid.
All in all, the solution is actually very subtle, one cannot complain. Has the whole thing been constructed too often nowadays? Yeah, just like leather raspberry saffron. But that doesn't make Tonnerre bad. Especially since this is not a new creation. The flaw in the fragrance is more to do with the base. I'm not aware of it.
I really don't mean anything, and of course this is also due to the powerful notes before. When those fade, the fragrance fades. Actually, this is also logical; such fine and rather contemplative notes like cedar wood or fir balm are contrasting.
For this reason Tonnerre is good in my eyes but it would have been possible to do much more. Unfortunately, the perfume "starves" halfway through and cannot be collected. A pity. Of course this is not the only Beaufort that is tamed after hours. But this happens to me too abruptly, too roughly.
Megalojohn
Smoked bacon on the high seas?
I think the scent is cool!

On the one hand, ship-burning chaos on the high seas of a meat trader who has been attacked by pirates!

On the other hand, the whole thing smells very homely of smoked bacon and Bündner Salsiz. More like a day in the woods with fire... :-)

I won't be able to wear it, though, I guess :-/

Like a Boxing Match Between Two Fighters You Hate
1805 Tonnerre goes on with a very aggressive leather that smells like it just came out of the tanning vat. I like leather, but not this way. Ugh. After a while that dies down and the smell of something burning rises from my wrists. This recedes then intermingles with the gunpowder note, which makes me the smallest bit nauseous. By five hours it has died down to an inch or two of projection. By eight, it is a skin scent that smells like smoke. It's a nice ending, but the two main notes just don't work for me. I wish I got some of the others, but I don't. This is a gunpowder-new leather tandem.

I wanted to like this scent, because Beaufort's approach, imagery, and mystique is something I find quite appealing -- masculine, backwards-looking, somber, and intense. However, 1805 Tonnerre is like watching a boxing match between two fighters that you hate, but you're close enough to smell them. The end of the fight is good, though: they knock each other out.

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 2 years ago
A slightly salty, yet challenging and boozy, metallic dusty smoky-woody Winter fragrance, with a pungent smoky spicy-citric opening. Art!
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
One of the most unique and strange perfumes I've ever smelled. Smells like ashes and smoke on old's woman clothes. Can't decide if I like it
SamuelGustavSamuelGustav 4 years ago
Beautiful, narcotic fragrance. Almost pure smoke, fancy one in that. I imagine this is what a smokehouse must be. Very unique and hard frag.
SteelerOperaSteelerOpera 5 years ago
Not for the faint of heart. Gunpowder and smoke will make this difficult to wear for some but make no mistake, it is a beautiful fragrance.

Speck mit Limetten
by NuiWhakakore
by Duftrebellen
by Duftrebellen
by Carlossp
by Carlossp

Popular by Beaufort

Fathom V by Beaufort Cœur de Noir by Beaufort Iron Duke by Beaufort Lignum Vitae by Beaufort Vi Et Armis / East India by Beaufort Terror & Magnificence by Beaufort Rake & Ruin by Beaufort