Bentley for Men Absolute (2014)

Bentley for Men Absolute by Bentley

Bentley for Men Absolute is a popular limited perfume by Bentley for men and was released in 2014. The scent is smoky-woody. It was last marketed by Lalique Group / Art & Fragrance. Limited Edition

Top Notes Top NotesGinger, Pink pepper, Frankincense
Heart Notes Heart NotesPapyrus, Sandalwood, Atlas cedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oud, Moss

Submitted by Freeestyler, last update on 24.06.2019

9.0 6.0 6.0 8.5/10

Why imitate?
I don't want to discuss the scent for long. A lot has been said about that. But what makes me smile is how some people want to smell significant differences to GPH or call it an imitation. It's not a fake. The same perfumer who created the GPH recipe and worked with Gucci has now made the same recipe available to another company and is now working with Bentley. In an interview Almairac himself said that he transferred the recipe of GPH to this Bentley in an almost natural way. There is another fragrance namely Almairacs own brand Parle Moi which by the way is supposed to smell the same but according to his own statements he has changed a bit but not with the Bentley. Sure, there are manufacturing differences, process differences, etc. but there is no way around it this thing is GPH and nothing else. They may not like to hear that the 400 euros paid for a vintage bottle of GPH and maybe that's why the differences are so obvious, but unfortunately we can't take that into account.

The truth is, if we were to decant and sell the Bentley in GPH bottles, hardly anyone would speak of any differences in fragrance. As I have heard, this Bentley is now also taken out of circulation, so if you only want to have GPH in a different design, you should just buy some more before this one will soon be available only at astronomical prices.
9.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

It Smells Like Sherlock Holmes's Apartment
To begin with, I've read quite a few reviews here and there making a comparison or stating that Absolute is the perfect replacement for the discontinued masterpiece Gucci Pour Homme... Albeit it is a child of the same perfumer that created Gucci Pour Homme, and as you can see the notes are very similar, but they are a bit different, yet I will not express any opinion here being I had no chance to get together with Gucci, sigh, my bad.

Bentley for Men Absolute is a story I have had my eyes on since its release communication over a year ago after being highly impressed with Bentley for Men and even more-so with Bentley for Men Intense. I've waited a while to try it, it was not available here in Italy, and online the price was still too high. Swiftly, a few days before Xmas I came across it on eBay from an Italian seller, it was relatively new, just tested with few sprays, and bought it. I like Bentley for Men, Intense, and all the other flankers very much, but Absolute makes its mark at all. Ain't similar to the original, nor to Intense or any other flankers. The first two are more about the leather and rum, along with a different bay leaf note. Absolute is an entirely different scent. Absolute is dry, is woody and spicy, is ashy and resinous, is unique among all Bentley's colognes and all of my collection's artifacts.

If I were asked to describe Bentley Absolute in one word I’d say smooth! Oh man, is this juice just smooth. It smells luxurious and positively masculine. The notes of incense and freshly chopped wood remind me too much of the traditions and holidays of my childhood in past winters. And, to wear this fragrance in any other season but the winter, to me, seems plain wrong, unless you're on a cold fall which is fine, either. It is a classy and luxurious scent in a mysterious dark way like its bottle, and I do have the all black one.

But, let's jump into the smell. The opening is divine! Hands down the best overture of any cologne that I own. That blast of fresh pencil shavings magically blended with pinchy pink pepper and smoky and spicy incense. I adore this opening and wish there was no scent development with Bentley Absolute, just that opening. Don't get me wrong, I like the dry down too, but I love the initial accord most. When this juice does dry down, it’s dark and muggy and smooth. This redolence is the smell of an Arabian prince, Ali Baba I think was wearing this if he were a real man. This treasure feels less like cologne and more like a scarce and expensive anointing oil. It is initially bone dry resinous pepper with fresh birch sap in the background that initially brings to mind. All the while I detect slightly pungent ginger and papyrus mix and ever so slightly sweet pink pepper orbiting around the main notes of bone-dry oud and olibanum dripping into a flame.

Absolute, I will call it this way from now on, uses precious woods and natural essences to define an experience of pure luxury. Michel Almairac did a great work here. The top note surprises, with a spicy cocktail of fresh ginger and pink peppercorns, and a hint of mystical frankincense. As aforementioned, it is not citrus, yet clean and tasty and smoky from the very beginning.

The fragrance announces its uncompromising extravagance within just a few seconds. After several minutes the heart note unfolds with elegant woody aromas of papyrus, cedar, and sandalwood in a way that is remarkably powerful and masculine. Atlas cedar is noticeable in the top notes, and the pencil sharpener accord is outstanding as in LeLabo Santal 33. Papyrus intensifies this dry and bare accord more, whereas sandalwood adds creaminess and balances the heart.

Absolute smells like incense, the resins put under heat and are just at the brink of giving of smoke but it hasn't yet. It's warm, it's natural... this is gorgeous. This is not the incense stick kind; this is the same high-quality resin smoked to perfection.

The base note includes the most seductive essences in the world of fragrances: Oud. It is agreeable and not too sturdy, this time blended with other resins and woods rather than bitter saffron, amazing rose or luscious vanilla. The sensual ambergris and elegant harmonies of moss surround the golden resin for a gorgeous and longlasting dry down. I've read a few reviews stating that Oud is not noticeable at all... That is not true to me, Oud is there and gives that far east touch to this cologne without being too medicinal.

It is not a firm or heavy scent though it is warmth-inducing.
It is almost linear even though dominant notes appear here and there during its development, the pepper note is more pronounced in the opening then it fades slowly, but ginger, oud, and olibanum remain virtually until the end. The dry down is a tangible woody and dry smell with a little sweetness.

I think the longevity is just a bit more than average, it is quite a beast, you could smell it the day after on your t-shirt or sweater, yet the projection and sillage are moderate, not offensive. The scent lasts for many hours on my skin and sits reasonably close. I love it, and I have been wearing it every day since receiving it. Absolute is very masculine, very sophisticated and very in line with the Bentley brand promise. In my own words and after only a week I own it, I am blown away by this fragrance. It is the wafting smoke of a red-hot saw blade struggling to cut through some old hardwood.

Ultimately, about the title, somehow I get that association. The wooden and leather chairs, the old books, the smell of all sorts of tobacco, the coziness and the vibe of all the visitors coming and going. I find this very attractive, not necessarily in a sexy way but still somehow intriguing. It has class and style in a rather old-fashioned, yet not dated way. It is not pushy nor boozy like the Intense when applied with caution, and the longevity seems to be slightly above average. Good juice this!

Absolute made my day!

-Elysium

Abso - Lutely!
If you are worried about losing the last few drops from your Gucci PH, rest assured this one will do well as a much cheaper substitute, I dare say it might be a bit bolder. A wonderful dry - woodiness at the opening similar to Gucci PH1 and made by the same nose. Save your money, don't buy a vintage Gucci unless you get a great deal :)

9.0 7.0 8.0 10.0/10

Yes, absolutely!
The 2 Bentley Absolute bottles I own are totally black, so different from this page photo.

I remarked a couple of features before blind buying this perfume:
- Reviewers I trust claimed it to be similar to Gucci 1. The notes are comparable and both have been created by Michel Almairac.
- It seemed that the oud note was not dominant.
Since I run out of Gucci1 six years ago, I have been trying to find a substitute. I refuse to pay 300 Euros or so for one of the rare offers that we may still encounter in EBay. Well, Bentley Absolute is not a xerox copy of Gucci1 but it's a nice substitute giving me the same olfactory feel. For this purpose I also use DSquared2 Potion.
I like oud but more than 90% of the oud fragrances I own are oud dominant. Lately I am trying to experiment fragrances where the oud note plays an important part but is not the dominant note like in Noir de Noir or Black Vanilla Absolute. And yes, Bentley Absolute totally meets this criteria.
Red pepper, incense (olibanum), ginger, woods, amber and oud are the main notes I pick from this fragrance.
The pepperish opening with strong frankincense and ginger notes is quite pleasant. A dry woods accord does developp a little later with the papyrus and cedar notes.
The initial notes are quite persistant, specially frankincense, and everithing is framed together with amber and oud in the last development. In this phase I do notice some similarity with Halston Amber.
The fragrance is a balsamic, resinous and smoky almost permanently I really love it this way. The blending is perfect.
The drydown is a bit on the soft side. Actually the perfume is not prominent in any stage, The performance is average. With the listed notes I expected Bentley Absolute to be a little bolder.

Now the mathematical final examination ...
- Scent opening............10.0
- Scent Dry Down.........9.5
- Longevity....................8.0 (up to 8 hours on my skin, with 3 sprays)
- Sillage..........................8.0 (sillage peaks up to 5~6 feet; projects for 2.0 hours)
- Versatility....................7.5 (avoid any type of hot temperatures)
- Usability......................8.0 (quite versatile and easy to please, for this type scent. Beach, Gym and any type of hot or swety events are excluded; under spray for dates and intimacy)
- Compliments..............8.5 (it will please a lot of people and not only oriental oud scent lovers. Compliments will happen)
- Uniqueness.................8.0 (The Gucci Pour Homme 1 association is the major drawback for uniqueness; this fragrance also makes me remember Comme des Garçons2 Homme and DSquared2 Potion Man)
- Quality.........................10.0 (High qualit ingredients; gorgeous heavy glass bottle, great spray and cap)
- Presentation...............10.0 (really beautiful diamond shaped bottle, extreamly well designed details, stunning deep black flask)
- Price.............................9.0 (for my second and most recent bottle - a 100 ml non tester flask - I paid a total €33,90)

- Average:......................8.77/10.00
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal or bigger than 9 => don't miss it;

Opinion on "Bentley Absolute":
A masterpice offering me 3 very well blended accords that I really love: It's dark, ambery and smoky.
Blind buy worthy? Yes!
For past and future owners of Bentley Absolute: "I don't care if it smells like Gucci PH1 or not. This masterpice is awesome on its own! It's woody, resinous, smoky, ambery and manly... I love it!"

Music: "You're Gorgeous" by Babybird
8.0 2.0 4.0 7.0/10

At the call centre
Unfortunately, all our employees are in conversation. Please be patient for a moment. Your expected waiting time is 12 hours.

-After 13h

"Welcome to Bentley, my name is Chantalle Müller, what can I do for you?"

Hello, I wanted to ask if you have a disorder?!?

"There's absolutely nothing known!"

Yes, I have the absolute here and I run out of power after 2 hours. I find that absolutely frightening.

"Since when does this happen?"

Yeah, actually, every time I use it. Everything's great at first. I still perceive the top note clearly and it reminds me slightly of the M7 oud Absolute with the medical note at the beginning. I find that very pleasing and also the incense can be recognized well
" Yes, that sounds absolutely fine "

Yes well but then I notice something slightly leathery, but this is not specified at all, but I still find it ok.

"Yes, it can be, it does the absolute sometimes. That's perfectly normal. What's the problem?"

I'd say it could be something, but I have to press my nose very hard against my arm, it's almost gone. At the neck I take him very very weakly warm and all this after c.a. 2h. That's absolute insolence. I want the full program!

"Have you ever opened and closed the bottle, maybe a restart will help?"

I already did, but that didn't help absolutely.

"Where are you pushing?"

Well here on the spray button on start and then in principle I always go the same way, left on the neck, right on the neck and on the chest.

"Are you already using the update? In which colour does your bottle glow?"

Yeah, I don't know, what kind of update? So he's absolutely blue.

"Ah, there we have it. We have certainly installed an update to the old one. It doesn't last that long, but it's stable. With the first version there were long-term errors"

Great, can you still get a downgrade?

"We absolutely do not offer that, you would have to look in the Internet"

But that's not customer-friendly. You can't throw products on the market that keep so little and short. That's where the prehistoric crayfish from the Yps booklet last longer,

"I understand you absolute, but you can only complain in writing"

Ne was only a sample, but customer I will not absolute!

*click*

That's a total insolence!
8.0 7.0 8.0 9.5/10

Darkbeat
An incredible interpretation of the legendary Gucci pour homme
A year ago, more or less, a colleague gave me a sample of this perfume, and since then I love him. I was looking for it, but I did not find it in a Spanish store. Then, I became aware that it was an exclusive edition of sale in Harrods stores in the UK and in countries in the Middle East, so I let it be without more and I forgot about it.

After the time, I had knowledge of him again by a friend who traveled to London, and on a visit to the famous stores, he brought it to Spain. The case is that he brought the bottle that appears here on the card, with the gold cap and trim, at a price too high, I would say, but hey, the perfume deserved it. Over time I got a little decant, which made me sigh ... and I thought I was not going to have it again, until I saw him promoting in Notino, and I did not even think about it, he came with me.

My bottle is completely black, and after using it several times, I can say that the golden version, is somewhat longer and with a more noticeable wake, of course my colleague cost him, this golden edition, in Harrods, more than double of what it cost me in Notino. The difference in performance is not so exaggerated as to justify the price increase, but I wanted to record this fact.

Bentley for Men Absolute is a woody fragrance incense very dark and smoky, a deep aroma of woods and incense on a slightly warm and ambered background, with a departure a fresher sparkle for ginger and pepper, but in general an essence perfume incensed, touching the liturgical, but without going over, keeping in balance for its soul of wood woody, dry and spicy, with green nuances of moss and papyrus, a real delight for the senses of lovers of darker and deeper woods. I just can say I love it.

And yes, it has a certain vibe to the mythical Gucci pour Homme. The Gucci is a bit warmer and resinous and this Bentley is somewhat more woody and dry, but both have very aromatically close characteristics.

The performance of my version, completely black bottle, is good, it is not extraordinary either, but it behaves honestly in longevity, now, the projection, is moderate pulling down. At first it is noticeable, but immediately it diminishes and it remains very discreet, although, from time to time, when I thought it no longer smelled, a burst came to me, and it reminded me of the wonder I was wearing.

I see it as a night perfume for its style, but its execution makes me think that it could be very versatile in this, since it is perfectly usable in daytime, and even in warmer climates, not in the middle of summer, but very usable during spring, autumn and winter.

Highly recommended perfume, and if you find a golden bottle at a good price, do not hesitate, but if not, with the black version you will also have a great perfume. I think that the bottle with golden cap and trim was the first edition of this perfume, exclusive of the Middle East and Harrods stores, the black bottle is the global version, and I guess they changed the bottle to differentiate them, I do not know with certainty, but It gives me, that the shots go around.

Sorry for my bad english.
5.0 9.0 9.0 2.0/10

Not your thing
If you don't like dry scents, don't even test this one, i don't like dry scents like Encre Noir and stuff, so when i read about this one i thought it'd be interesting, but UGH this is very offensive, dry scent, it smells like burnt wood, not mass appeal scent at all, test it many times before purchasing.

Gucci Pour Homme - The Macho version
There was no way I could stay away from the GPH comparison. (I tried) It was obviously the idea to begin with and then take it somewhere else. And it does go someplace else. Where GPH was smooth, subtle and sophisticated - with a lot of nuances and a complex development stage, this is a pretty straight-forward, very balls-to-the-wall approach to the same concept. Smoke, dusty-woods and spices.

The main notes are pretty similar. Frankincense, Ginger, Papyrus, Pepper, Cedar, & Oud. Just more in-your-face than GPH. Very dusty and dry too, but without any of the sweet-powdery and floral aspects of GPH. No leather here either. But all this makes for quite a different scent. The quality of ingredients seems quite good. And performance wise it's quite a beast. Lasts a good 10hrs plus on my skin and for days on my clothes.

I'm not sure if this could be the ideal "replacement" for GPH - depends on what one percieves, I suppose. But this is definitely very good on it's own right. If GPH was the sensitive, soft-spoken, slightly-feminine version of this concept, this is a foul-mouthed, hairy-chested, macho version. Surely recommended if you're into these accords.

8.5/10
10.0 7.5 5.0 7.0/10

bentley for winter
its really good. i have it . suitable for winter and very energic .remind me sauna in the winter ;) i feel wooden notes and eucalyptus and Steam maybe im wrong but its my feeling and this fragrance make me happy i love it....
10.0 5.0 5.0 6.0/10

"Absolute" Disappointment...
Bentley for Men Absolute opens with a moderately sweet mix of frankincense and subtle vague synthetic woods. Moving to the early heart the moderately sweet synthetic Oud-like woods take the fore as waxy black pepper joins them in key support with the frankincense moving to background. During the late dry-down slightly powdery amber and relatively transparent sandalwood seize control as the synthetic woods finally vacate with only subtle cedar support shining through as the compositions turns relatively dry through the finish. Projection is slightly above average, as is longevity at about 9-10 hours on skin.

Bentley for Men Absolute is a composition I have had my eyes on since its release announcement over a year ago after being highly impressed with Bentley for Men and even more-so with Bentley for Men Intense. The lack of a US release added an additional air of exclusivity that only made me want to try the composition even more... Finally, after a wait of over a year I was able to secure an overseas blind buy bottle to give the elusive composition a try. I can't tell you how much I want to say I love it, but alas, Bentley for Men Absolute is a disappointment, albeit a minor one. The primary culprit is its use of norlimbanol to (poorly) recreate the smell of Oud wood. This is something I have noticed in a lot of compositions recently and I really wish it would stop. In all fairness, the perfumer does a much better job than most in toning down the synthetic woods effect so that it doesn't completely overpower the rest of the notes. Unfortunately, most of the rest of the composition doesn't impress either, as the waxy, peppery effect paired with the faux Oud has been done many, many times before and I didn't like it then any more than now. On the plus side, the late dry-down is quite pleasant with its amber and sandalwood led finish, but it is far from original and definitely not worth the wait when you consider the synthetics you have to get past to reach it. One final point of issue is I have heard many talk about Bentley for Men Absolute being a dead ringer for Gucci pour Homme I. Well, they do have the same perfumer, but even though it has been about a decade since I have worn that one, there are some similarities but I really remember it smelling differently than what I smell here. I should mention as I absolutely couldn't stand Gucci pour Homme I, this is actually a positive in Bentley for Men Absolute's favor as I like this a lot more than that stuff. The bottom line is the $100 per 100ml bottle Bentley for Men Absolute is a pretty decent effort that could have smelled much better, earning it an "above average" 2.5 to 3 stars out 5 rating and a neutral recommendation.
8.0/10

The dry breeze of smart
A wonderful pink peppery ginger combination to wake up the senses. This is a deliciously compelling beginning. Cedar rises quite fast to join in and then the dryness of paper keeps this smart and dapper. A gloriously dry perfume with enough softness of the amber underneath to stop it going too far that way.

Very well balanced indeed and keeps you sniffing your wrist to see which way it will turn next. The dryness nearly goes too far down the recently overtrodden path to oudy dry norimbernol territory but then it retreats and decides it will get softer and a little more incensy mossy amber.

I'm side by side with the Intense and this one wins at the beginning, loses ground part way in and now they are doing even battle with each other. This one more dry and the citrus side of frankincense is enhanced by the pepper. This is a more astringent perfume than the intense, but they both have a place in the wardrobe. This one currently has the edge for me but by a mere whisker.

Bentley have really done themselves proud with these. Nice to see some well blended perfumes instead of mere smells for a nice change. This one does veer a little close at one point to the pencil shavings brigade, but doesn't quite stay there. The citrussy frankincense and the softer amber just keep it at bay.

I'm guessing that Montale lovers might like this one for a light day scent by comparison.

Carlitos01 14 months ago
Absolutely awsome! Bentley Absolute is a masterpice offering me three very well blended accords that I really love: dark, ambery and smoky.+3
9.0
Fqjcior 19 months ago
Definitely a twin brother of Gucci Pour Homme with the same woody-incense'y accord. A perfect masculine and sophisticated scent.+4
6.0

by eBOSS
by NasiGoreng
by NasiGoreng

Popular Bentley

Bentley for Men Intense by Bentley Bentley for Men Absolute by Bentley Bentley for Men by Bentley Bentley Infinite Intense by Bentley Bentley for Men Azure by Bentley Momentum Intense by Bentley Bentley Infinite Rush by Bentley Bentley Infinite by Bentley Bentley for Men Black Edition by Bentley Bentley Infinite Rush White Edition by Bentley Momentum Unlimited by Bentley Momentum by Bentley Momentum Night Edition by Bentley Lalique for Bentley Crystal Edition by Bentley Beyond The Collection - Wild Vetiver by Bentley Beyond The Collection - Exotic Musk by Bentley Beyond The Collection - Majestic Cashmere by Bentley Lalique for Bentley Black Crystal Edition by Bentley Lalique for Bentley Blue Crystal Edition by Bentley