Bentley Black Edition is a good definition of an all-purpose fragrance for an elegant man, or for office use. Its life started probably as a marketing test as it was launched in the US and the Middle East before being available in Europe. After purchasing my bottle in the US, I saw it advertised by Harrods in the UK. Well ... it must be already on sale all through Europe now.
To date very little has been written about this fragrance. I blind bought it assuming a low risk of regretting the decision. Judging by its "Intense" and "Absolute" predecessors, it should be at least an acceptable fragrance, to say the least.
I suppose I gained that bet because I found this Black Edition to be an above-average fragrance since the first whiff. A colleague of mine that witnessed my first test was really enthusiastic about it.
To my nose, this perfume is a newcomer to the so-called blue group of fragrances. This market segment includes names like Carven L'Eau Intense, Invictus Aqua, Legend Spirit, Hawas, Dylan Blue, Bleu de Chanel, Dior Sauvage, Versace Eros, Mr Burberry, Icon Racing, Mauboussin Private Club, Luna Rossa Carbon, Azzaro Wanted, Perry Ellis For Men, Oxford Bleu and now... Bentley Black Edition.
Nevertheless, it's not really very similar to any of them, with the sole exception of maybe Carven Eau Intense. L'Eau Intense is woodier (deep forest scent), fresher, less sweet and a bit more greener. This Bentley is denser, dryer, just a bit sweeter and with better performance, especially in the drydown. Those features make the Black Edition closer to the Bentley for Men family of perfumes. Its Blue Fragrance facet is certainly developed by the papyrus and violet strong notes. You don't have ozonic, marine, ambergris or ambroxan notes in this fragrance, but the blue vibe is certainly there.
The opening is, moderately earthy, very spicy, a bit floral and a bit powdery. The fragrance develops itself through the heart stage with a woody and dry accord, a mild sweetness, and sustaining a fainter earthiness. The bottom stage becomes quite warm, resinous, sweet, a little creamy, and keeping some of the previous dryness together with a new peaceful woody and earthy accord. The warm, sweet and resinous notes are kept all through the pleasant drydown.
It's a very nice scent. I like to use it with mild and warm weather when I am in the mood for a lesser sweet scent than what we get usually from almost all the other blue fragrances, or an option sweeter than Carven L'Eau Intense.
Longevity and Sillage are above average for this type of semi-fresh fragrance.
How does this Bentley for Men Black Edition
cope with ratings?
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Scent opening: 8.0 (very good)
- Scent Dry Down: 8.5 (really pleasant)
- Longevity: 8.5 (almost up to 8 hours on my skin, with 3 sprays... not bad for a semi-fresh)
- Sillage: 7.5 (sillage peaks up to 5 feet; It projects almost for 2.0 hours)
- Versatility: 8.0 (Don't use it either with very cold temperatures or extremely hot weather; best in Spring and Fall)
- Usability: 8.5 (it's really a "use it almost anywhere fragrance", but not the best one for formal events, clubbing, gym, seaside or Winter strolling)
- Compliments: 8.5 (This scent competes with other alluring BLUE fragrances and may be regarded as a near compliment magnet. You will smell elegant, clean, fresh and sexy, but not cute due to the lower sugar level of the fragrance)
- Uniqueness: 8.5 (I tested the scent similarity between Bentley for Men Black Edition
and L'Eau Intense Eau de Toilette
. With 2 sprays of each perfume in my hands, I could verify that both scents and progressions are similar till the middle of the drydown. It's kind of strange because the notes are quite different. I don't make any associations with other fragrances. Some people comment BBE to be similar to Himalaya
. Well... I never tried that Creed fragrance)
- Quality: 9.0 (High-quality ingredients; sturdy and pretty heavy glass bottle with metal top, great spray and cap)
- Presentation: 9.5 (beautifully diamond-shaped bottle, extremely well-designed details)
- Price: 8.0 (€ 29.5 + taxes for a 100 ml non tester flask)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Average: 8.44/10.00
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal or bigger than 9 => don't miss it;
Opinion on "Bentley Black Edition":
Fresh, clean and dark blue! I find Bentley for Men Black Edition
a less sweet, more dry, but very interesting member of the BLUE family group of fragrances..Other members include names like Carven L'Eau Intense, Invictus Aqua, Legend Spirit, Hawas, Dylan Blue, Bleu de Chanel, Sauvage, Eros, Mr Burberry, Icon Racing, Mauboussin Private Club, Oxford Bleu and Bentley Black Edition, and many other perfumes, besides a legion of clones. Don't expect a powerhouse scent. As an elegant perfume for gentlemen, it has a moderate sillage and projection.
Recommended? Yes! - Blind buy worthy? No! - Do try it before.
Music: Dalida - "Gigi L`Amoroso"