Bentley Black Edition besides being a fine perfume, is also probably a marketing test as it has been launched so far in the US and the Middle East. Recently I saw this perfume advertised by Harrods. Well ... it must be already on sale through Europe.
To date very little has been written about this fragrance. I blind bought it in the US in FragranceX. I assumed to be low the risk of regretting it. Judging by its "Intense" and "Absolute" predecessors, it should be at least an acceptable fragrance to say the least.
I suppose I gained that bet because I found BBE to be quite an above average fragrance since the first whiff. A colleague of mine that witnessed my first test was really enthusiastic about it.
To my nose this perfume is a newcomer to the so called blue group of fragrances that includes names like Carven l'Eau Intense, Invictus Aqua, Legend Spirit, Hawas, Dylan Blue, Bleu de Chanel, Dior Sauvage, Versace Eros, Mr Burberry, Icon Racing, Mauboussin Private Club, Luna Rossa Carbon, Azzaro Wanted, Perry Ellis For Men, Oxford Bleu and now... Bentley Black Edition.
Nevertheless it's not really very similar to any of them, with the sole exception of Carven l'Eau Intense. L'Eau Intense is woodier (deep forest scent), fresher, less sweet and a bit more greener. BBE is stronger, dryer, just a bit sweeter and with a better performance, specialy in the drydown. Those features make BBE closer to the Bentley for Men family of perfumes.
The opening is, moderatly earthy, very spicy, a bit floral and a bit powdery. The fragrance develops itself through the heart stage with a woody and dry accord , a mild sweetness, and sustaining a fainter earthiness. The bottom stage becomes quite warm, resinous, sweet, a little creamy, and keeping some of the previous dryness together with a new peacefull woody and earthy accord. The warm, sweet and resinous notes are kept all through the pleasant drydown.
It's a very nice scent. i like to use it with mild and warm weather, when I am in the mood of a lesser sweet scent than what we get from Legend Spirit, Legend Intense, Dylan Blue, Dior Sauvage and Bleu de Chanel, or sweeter than Carven L'Eau Intense.
Longevity and Sillage are above average for this type of semi fresh fragrance.
How does this Black Bentley copes with ratings?
- Scent opening............8.0 (very good)
- Scent Dry Down.........9.0 (really pleasant)
- Longevity....................9.0 (up to 9 hours on my skin, with 3 sprays)
- Sillage..........................8.0 (sillage peaks up to 5~6 feet; It projects heavily almost for 2.0 hours)
- Versatility....................8.0 (Don't use it neither with very cold temperatures or extreamly hot weather; best in Spring and Fall)
- Usability......................8.5 (it's really a "use it almost anywhere fragrance", but not the best one for formal events, clubbing, gym, seaside or Winter strolling)
- Compliments..............8.5 (This scent competes with other alluring BLUE fragrances and may be regarded as a compliment magnet. You will smell elegant, clean, fresh and sexy, but not cute due to the lower sugar level of the fragrance)
- Uniqueness.................8.5 (I tested the scent similarity between Bentley Black Edition and Carven L'Eau Intense. With 2 sprays of each perfume in my hands I could verify that both scents and progressions are similar till the middle of the drydown. It's kind of strange because the notes are quite different. I don't make any associations with other fragrances. Some people comment BBE to be similar to Creed Himalaya. Well... I never tried that Creed fragrance)
- Quality.........................9.0 (High quality ingredients; gorgeous heavy glass bottle with metal top, great spray and cap)
- Presentation...............9.5 (really beautifully diamond shaped bottle, extremely well designed details)
- Price.............................8.0 (€ 29.5 + taxes for a 100 ml non tester flask)
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal or bigger than 9 => don't miss it;
Opinion on "Bentley Black Edition":
Fresh, clean and blue! I find Bentley Black Edition a less sweet, more dry, but very interesting member of the BLUE family group of fragrances. Other members include names like Carven L'Eau Intense, Invictus Aqua, Legend Spirit, Hawas, Dylan Blue, Bleu de Chanel, Sauvage, Eros, Mr Burberry, Icon Racing, Mauboussin Private Club, Oxford Bleu and Bentley Black Edition (and many others perfumes besides a legion of clones).
Recomended? Yes! - Blind buy worthy? No! - Do try it before.
Music: Dalida - "Gigi L`Amoroso"