Astor Place (2009)

Astor Place by Bond No. 9

Astor Place is a perfume by Bond No. 9 for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is floral-fruity. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesMandarin, Violet leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesFreesia, Orris root, Poppy bud
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Teakwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 02.06.2019

7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Strong Green Diva Queen
This is an assertive green note dominant fragrance that I would wear out for the evening in the Spring and end of Winter. Gorgeous bottle, this is definitely a 'big girls' perfume. It starts out a bit too loud and brash for my taste, but, that is Bond No. 9 in a nut shell for me. I love this violet leaf note on top- it is not purple soft violet; this is that leafy herbal greenness, but this one is smoothed out with a bit of orris root and powdery notes that make it seem tender. The freesia in this is spritely and delightful and teakwood presents intriguing and satisfying woodiness in the drydown. The musk in this is not too clean, it's a little classic raunchy musk that stays out dancing all night, turning heads left and right. After the first hour, the projection on this eases back to a reasonable persistent and elegant state of under 1 meter (3.28 ft). The greenness manages to smell clean, the base smells a little sweaty- all in alternating whiffs and reminds me just a bit of a fragrance with a golden pear or high quality late harvest riesling note. The layers of this fragrance a powdery green on top, golden fruity dessert wine and touch of amber dirty musk and teakwood all remain active through the first 6-8 hours. The finale is a regal yet sultry musky teak with a orris powdery note. Astor Place leans heavily towards the Femme side for me, but not all very sweet and more of a daring, bold bombshell type who never shies away from giving you her honest opinion, even when it's totally unsolicited... "She loves the theatre, but never comes late..."-Frank Sinatra
10.0 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Freesia... or a wearable version of vintage J'adore
My opinion of Bond no 9 ASTOR PLACE is relatively unstable. Initially, I was excited by the bottle, until I discovered that the colorful geometrical design was a peel-off label. Then I was annoyed.

Initially, I liked the scent as well. It reminded me of Christian Dior J'ADORE, except that I could wear ASTOR PLACE without feeling ill. For some reason I have a serious problem with vintage J'ADORE. Mine is vintage because I acquired the bottle a long time ago--back in the 1990s--and have never been able to wear it. J'ADORE has since been reformulated, and perhaps I could wear the reformulation, but I'll never know since I have no intention of buying any reformulated perfumes at this point in history, least of all from LVMH.

It's probably about time that I start up a decanting business and divvy up my nearly 100mls of J'ADORE into tiny decants to sell at a 10,000 percent profit. It is vintage, after all!

In all seriousness, I recognized that ASTOR PLACE was a big fat fuzzy freesia bomb, but since I am not like Anna Wintour, the all-powerful Editor of Vogue, who hates freesia--at least according to the film "The Devil wears Prada"--I rather liked this clean freesia bomb. Until my sister came to town.

I wore ASTOR PARK to pick her up from the airport a couple of years ago, and when I gave her a welcome hug, she immediately withdrew and complained, "That doesn't smell like my sherapop." (Well, except that she used her moniker for me, which is not "sherapop" but some other name also not identical with my given name. If the truth be known, no one who actually knows me calls me by my given name--so, my perfumista friends, you are not alone!)

My sister was working from a memory from ancient history back when I always smelled like Oscar de la Renta OSCAR. I mean ALWAYS, because it was my signature scent for about four years. That was back in the good old days when I still believed in perfume monogamy. Now I'm as promiscuous as they come.

So after that fated freesia day at the airport and my sister's annoyed response, I was hesitant to wear ASTOR PLACE again, because my sister must be like Anna Wintour, at least in one way, and I was a bit afraid to annoy other people whom I might encounter while wearing the freesia festival which ASTOR PLACE is.

This afternoon I wore ASTOR PLACE out to run some errands, and I have to say that it smelled very good. Most of the Bond no 9 perfumes appear to have been made to wear in New York City. They are all clean and smart smelling, and ASTOR PLACE is no exception to the rule. No super sticky fruity messes or indolic or sweaty musky stuff is to be found in any of the Bond no 9 bottles. That's because The City provides all of those scents for free!

Freesia is the key word here. Resinous, perfumey freesia. ASTOR PLACE, my fragrant friends, is your made-to-measure freesia litmus test, so do give it a sniff!

by Smellsnice
by Smellsnice
by pudelbonzo
by pudelbonzo
by Jasmine87
by Jasmine87

Popular Bond No. 9

Chinatown by Bond No. 9 Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9 I Love New York for All by Bond No. 9 Fire Island by Bond No. 9 New Haarlem by Bond No. 9 Bryant Park by Bond No. 9 New York Oud by Bond No. 9 Shelter Island by Bond No. 9 Coney Island by Bond No. 9 The Scent of Peace by Bond No. 9 Wall Street by Bond No. 9 New York Amber by Bond No. 9 West Side by Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol by Bond No. 9 So New York by Bond No. 9 The Scent of Peace for Him by Bond No. 9 High Line by Bond No. 9 Madison Soirée by Bond No. 9 Success is the Essence of New York by Bond No. 9 Hamptons by Bond No. 9