Bleecker Street (2005)

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9
Bottle Design: Bond No. 9, Rachel Katz

Bleecker Street is a perfume by Bond No. 9 for women and men and was released in 2005. The scent is green-fresh. It is still in production.

David Apel

Top Notes Top NotesBlackcurrant, Thyme, Violet leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Cedarwood, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Leather, Patchouli, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.07.2019

6.0 6.0 7.0 8.5/10

Jeremy says ...
Well, now I may have your attention, may I?
Did I?
Fits!

Yeah, I know it was kind of cheap now. But I have to agree with Jeremy on one thing, even though I can't stand his discreetly narcissistic nature. So he reports that Bleeker Street smells like freshly cut grass. Here I agree with him, but with a few exceptions.

As someone who was introduced to the art of lawn mowing in his early childhood, I'm sure I can say that when the lawn is mown in the morning, when it's not so hot and the green is still a little damp, it's characterized by an idyllic juiciness.
But you don't feel much of this juiciness anymore if you sleep a little longer and have to postpone mowing until the afternoon, for example, in order not to rip the neighbouring pensioners out of their midday nap. If you don't start the lawn mower until about 3 pm, the midday heat usually erases the last bit of juice from every single blade of grass. Now there is not much left of the green juiciness. Instead, a musty green fragrance cloud, decorated with tons of dust and dirt, spreads out and one wonders why one did not get up earlier.

"Bleeker Street isn't the morning mow or the afternoon mow. It's somewhere in between. At the beginning still very airy and fresh, the fragrance condenses after about half an hour and is no longer quite so transparent. In the beginning, the currant and the violet actually provided a grass-like green prelude. The currant was responsible for the juiciness, while the violet was responsible for the green-herbal note. This green and herbaceous juiciness is then underlaid with a slightly musty creaminess and thus automatically loses its airiness. Responsible for the soft transparency and airiness might be the cinnamon, which I don't smell explicitly, but also the cedar wood might have its part in this changing fragrance impression. But it's all very difficult, at least for me, to smell.

With the insertion of the base note, it becomes really green again. The oak moss and the patchouli are involved here and now give the composition a very herbaceous green coat of paint, which additionally experiences a minimal sweetness, evoked by the vanilla. By the way, I don't perceive leather here - that much should be said in conclusion.

Are we dealing with freshly mown lawns here now? I say "Jain." It's much more a meadow, far away from the meticulously maintained English lawn, where moss, violets, patchouli and other green niceties coexist. The contents of our lawn mower basket are a herbaceous-green mixture that can still call a certain residual moisture its own. Apparently we didn't quite stick to the rest periods and mowed already at noon, so that not everything was completely dried out yet. The Office of Public Order is already at the door, the mummified neighborhood Stasi on the balcony, I quickly hide in the shed - the lawn-cutting midday sprinkler
4.0 7.0 7.0 3.5/10

MkCb
A satire ("No. 2 of the "I don't understand the hype" fragrances)
Hardly a "Spring/Summer 201x" list goes by without the candidate being named here.
Maybe it's my inexperience, maybe I don't know anything about perfume, but... no, you know what? Meanwhile I have enough knowledge to tell myself that this is not a well made perfume.

I know I'm not gonna make friends with that comment. To all who read this and like the scent - please don't take it personally.

I'm not sure Bond Number 9 is serious about us here yet. Bleecker Street looks like a satire of new-fangled shower gel fragrances or fruity, fresh and woody fragrances. All the prejudices are clattered down here - starting with the fresh, fruity woodiness (distant towards Aventus) mixed with pure, arrogant, disgusting synthetics. For the mass market accessible, the Panty Dropper, Complement Getter a la Jeremy.
Beginning with synthetic currant wrapped in synthetic green notes. There is nothing more to say about the fragrance. Have I already mentioned the synthetics?
Yeah, it's fresh.
Yes, it's fruity.
Yes, it's green.
Yeah, it's good to wear in spring or summer. The only question is whether you want that too...

But now I come to my most important criticism:
The price/performance ratio. I always take this into account as a factor in the evaluation, but it has hardly been worth mentioning so far. But Bleecker Street looks different.
Because this is underground, a farce, rip-off, impertinence. Please add more of these words here. I just checked the homepage. The house charges for 100ml, believe it or not, 370 dollars.

I repeat: !!Three hundred and seventy dollars!!

At 50ml, you'll get your $250!!! buttoned off.
You also get a terribly cheap looking bottle. I always have the words "want, but can't" on my lips.
That Bleecker Street is a 370 dollar expensive, mass-produced perfume, which goes in the direction of Aventus with a green impact, is completely okay. But if a brute superficiality of pure synthetic, which is worse than many a five euro perfume, flutters against you, it becomes a problem.

Conclusion:
Buy yourselves Aventus.
9.0 9.0 7.0 9.5/10

Wow! Wow! Wow!
Originally, I ordered a Bleecker Street bottling plant, because people often read here that it was like a green Aventus and I just wanted to try it out. When the test was due, I didn't smell any resemblance to Aventus, which wasn't tragic at all, because without the alleged green Aventus twin (which by the way existed five years before Aventus, so Aventus would have been more of a fruity and bitter Bleecker Street twin) I would have come to Bleecker Street much later
For me, this fragrance is so special and different that my enthusiasm for this fragrance immediately led to a search for a bottle in the souk. Thanks to a really more than fair offer from davegahan101 I got a great bottle with at least as nice OVP.

To my scent:
Sniffing at the sprayer I find BSt a bit stinking, almost like fermented fruit, but this is only suitable for the category "useless knowledge".
The top note smells so strongly of fresh (lawn) grass, on which every few meters a few, not too sweet flowers and berry bushes have joined in. I find this smell so authentic that as a pollen and grass allergy sufferer I have had sneeze irritation from it several times, as my body seems to feel compelled not to let the allergens that this park landscape threatens to release on me affect me in the first place. I must add that a few weeks ago the allergen load was really as extreme as never before, and no over-the-counter remedies helped me any more, so my body was probably a bit over-cautious - but this is not about my hay fever! What I want to express is that Bond No. 9 has managed to create a true grass and fruit monster here, which I wouldn't have thought I could be excited about if I just read about it.
In the heart note a little tangerine skin is added for me, the fragrance now becomes a bit more masculine and loses its unisexuality for me. The base note gets a bit more wood, but hardly changes its character.
The shelf life is about 5 hours, which is why I carry the bottle in my briefcase on the days when I spray my eyes. Since I perceive the smell strongly in this time, however, the Sillage is really top.

The bottle is not a spawn of stylish elegance and restraint, but - like almost all Bonds - shrill, garish and obtrusive (in the positive sense). A real eye-catcher. Together with the quite opulent OVP this results in an extravagant set that you can expect in this price category, but as the look at other "very pricey" brands shows, it is very special.

Since I'm only travelling a few months with the Parfumo steamer, there are certainly still many discoveries to make, but for me Bleecker Street is still my discovery of the (still young) year.

Thanks for reading until the end, I hope one or the other (m/f/d) liked it :-)
8.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

So completely different
I just happened to stumble across the numerous negative comments on this fragrance and am so surprised that I write a comment myself for the first time.
Apparently, either the sense of smell or the development of fragrance is very individual, depending on the condition of the skin.
For me, the scent is not a bit masculine, funny enough I only know women who wear the scent. In my case it starts rather fruity, Cassis is very well perceptible and very soon something cinnamony, cuddly and warm joins in, which stays that way for many hours. I find it very modern and suitable for everyday use. He's not an olfactory bombshell with lots of oud, patchouli or excessive vanilla, but he doesn't want to be that either, but a very finely tuned, exciting all-rounder. All in all a cuddly berry scent
10.0 9.0 9.0 10.0/10

AnjaTom
Synthetic? YES! Well done anyway? YES, too! The buried temptation...
Let's go! It's a great fragrance! Unique!
Synthetic? YES! Well done anyway? YES, too! The buried temptation...
My decision was between Bleecker Street (Bn9) and Enchanted Forest (VP).
Hard...but I'm sure I made the right decision when it comes to berry scents..

A great start! WOW, what a berry hits this face. (positive)
Simply great, synthetic, but still unique and really lively!
After some time the vanilla-cinnamon note will kirstallise through, but the fresh part will remain!!
For me proportionately much more fruit and berry than wood and moss, but that's ok so!

Currently it is certainly not the right season for the fragrance, but it has a great chance to secure a place in my All-Time-Favourites.
It is synthetic, but funny enough not unpleasantly synthetic.
In a fine and round way.
The price,...is as with almost all fragrances of the brand of course somewhat exaggerated...but at the market price settled quite a purchase worth!
Just because of this fine fragrance I'm already looking forward to spring!!
LOVE NY - LOVE BLEECKER STREET!!

genre crash
Pairings. Combinations. Fusion. Synthesis. There are plenty of words to describe how two ideas, objects or properties can be put together. Broad strokes, there are three outcomes: Blend, eg. citrus fruit and leaf in an eau de cologne; Complement, as in the rose/patchouli pairing of 1970s-1980s chypres; and, Synergy, the classic example being the new quality that arises from the pairing of lavender and coumarin in the fougère.

Three positive outcomes, that is. Outcome number is dissonance. We have lots of words for this one, too. Discord, strife, cacophony, incongruity. There isn’t the comparable olfactory term for the aural disharmony, so I’ll propose one. Bleecker, after the perfume that inexplicably combined gourmand and aquatic notes. Was it hubris? Was it nepotism? I can think of a number of scenarios that might have lead to this perfume, but they all center on original sin. Bleecker St. isn’t bad for the tinkering that might have gone on in the editing bay. Someone had to have been given a long leash not to have been stopped early on in the making of this perfume. The flaw in Bleecker St. isn’t one of measure or imbalance, it’s conceptual.
10.0 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Thyme-Leather-Violet Leaf-Blueberry Composition: Who knew?
I admire Bond no 9's ambition. They've carved up olfactory space and created entire sets of fragrances to encompass virtually every conceivable piece of the pie or chunk of the sphere--or slice of your wallet. Whatever your nose's desire, they aspire to have your corner covered. Their telos, let us be clear, is total olfactory-global domination. If they happen to create a few masterpieces along the way, well that's just fine, too!

This context explains, perhaps, at least in part, a creation as odd as BLEECKER STREET. There are lots of people shopping for citrus, floral, oriental, modern chypres, even skin scents and shampoo/conditioner frags--and there are indeed Bond no 9s to satisfy all of those needs. But with BLEECKER STREET, an aromatic fougère mislabeled as oriental woody, the people at Bond no 9 appear to be attempting to anticipate the Next Big Thing.

Could it be a thyme-heavy, violet leaf/blueberry (or is it cassis?)-leather frag? "Only the shadow knows." "The sky is the limit." "Think out of the box," and various and sundry other folk wisdoms appear to have erupted around the Bond boardroom strategy table, littered with empty Starbucks cups.

I have never set foot in a Bond no 9 boutique--I scrupulously avoid the stinky, sunless, angst-ridden streets of NYC--but I can guess what the experience is like. The SAs strewn apparently casually about the store, many dressed in black, have been arduously--even operantly--trained to make the big sell to anyone who walks through their doors. They have committed the complete current company flowchart to memory and the "assessment" begins with an innocent query of which perfumes the potential customer/convert currently wears.

BLEECKER STREET may be a hard sell for some, as it smells like nothing else. To others, this will be a virtue, and if the thyme-leather-violet leaf-blueberry (or is it cassis?) complex doesn't quite hit the spot, well, at least the vessel in which it is stored will positively shimmer on one's shelf!

by DonVanVliet
by Barker
by MightyMike
by MightyMike

Popular Bond No. 9

Chinatown by Bond No. 9 Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9 I Love New York for All by Bond No. 9 Fire Island by Bond No. 9 New Haarlem by Bond No. 9 Bryant Park by Bond No. 9 New York Oud by Bond No. 9 Shelter Island by Bond No. 9 Coney Island by Bond No. 9 The Scent of Peace by Bond No. 9 Wall Street by Bond No. 9 New York Amber by Bond No. 9 West Side by Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol by Bond No. 9 So New York by Bond No. 9 High Line by Bond No. 9 The Scent of Peace for Him by Bond No. 9 Madison Soirée by Bond No. 9 Success is the Essence of New York by Bond No. 9 Hamptons by Bond No. 9