I Love New York for Her (2011)

I Love New York for Her by Bond No. 9

I Love New York for Her is a perfume by Bond No. 9 for women and was released in 2011. The scent is sweet-gourmand. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBlueberry muffin, Mandarin zest, Nutmeg
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli, Peony, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesLeather, Musk, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 25.08.2019

Opening: 1980s toys | Drydown: Grown up fruitchouli
There is this crazy contradictory thing that happens here in the online perfume community: either people are seeking out artificially fruity scents that recall childhood relics or they’re seeking authenticity that places them squarely in the middle of a berry patch. It seems as if there is no one who enjoys both. I cannot accept that as truth as I enjoy both kinds of scents. Being a child of the 1980s I had a collection of Strawberry Shortcake dolls, fruit-scented erasers, scratch-and-sniff stickers and other doodads scented with plasticized fruits. Also, I love (real) fruit. I find the scent of the local farmers’ market absolutely intoxicating. Long story short? Both scent variations on fruit appeal to me.

I Love New York for Her is in the 1980s-scents-of-childhood-toys category. There is no denying the unmistakable scent of blueberries. The company claims the smell is that of blueberry muffins; I’m dubious to believe this. I can smell Strawberry Shortcake’s mate, Blueberry Muffin, but not actual blueberry muffins. Does this bother me? Not at all! I quite enjoy this, if I’m being honest. It is nostalgic and joyous. Is this unacceptable at its initial price point of $105 per 50ml? Maybe. As many online reviewers have commented the scent recalls other artificial fruity pop confections out there, namely Britney Spears’ Midnight Fantasy and Bath and Body Works’ Dark Kiss. However and most regrettably, those devolve on my skin in the most revolting way, recalling the scent of melted plastic and claustrophobia, given their cloying natures. ILNYfH does not become a synthetic and cloying mess on me. If anything, it dries down to a smooth and sophisticated fruitchouli, standing miles apart from the masses’ La Vie Est Belles and TM Angels. For me, it is worth the higher price point.

Bond No. 9 has its die-hard fans and its detractors. For the longest time I was one of those detractors. I’ve since found loves within the house but still feel at times they offer pretentiousness in a bottle. This is one of those times where they do not take themselves too seriously but also do not insult the customer with short-lived novelty and no substance. It’s a pity they did not feel it was worth keeping around.

Fruitchouli?
Fruity with a touch of vanilla is my impression. Not extremely sweet but too fruity for my liking. Lasts all day, no touch up needed. As a patchouli lover, I should be able to wear this but my nose cannot tolerate the fruitiness. Maybe there is a citrus buried in the notes that my nose refuses to accept.

This would be a nice fragrance for someone who wants something mildly sweet and lasts all day. Smells pretty nice but I have no desire to own a full bottle. I'm not sure this is a niche quality fragrance. I think Coach Poppy would be a good choice for a substitute.

Feb

by DonVanVliet
by Darkwhite
by Darkwhite

Popular Bond No. 9

Chinatown by Bond No. 9 Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9 I Love New York for All by Bond No. 9 Fire Island by Bond No. 9 New Haarlem by Bond No. 9 Bryant Park by Bond No. 9 New York Oud by Bond No. 9 Shelter Island by Bond No. 9 Coney Island by Bond No. 9 The Scent of Peace by Bond No. 9 Wall Street by Bond No. 9 New York Amber by Bond No. 9 West Side by Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol by Bond No. 9 The Scent of Peace for Him by Bond No. 9 So New York by Bond No. 9 High Line by Bond No. 9 Madison Soirée by Bond No. 9 Success is the Essence of New York by Bond No. 9 Hamptons by Bond No. 9